Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 23 48.94%
I love it 32 68.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2007, 04:33 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

im guessing we are taking a running back 1st or 2nd round

1st Round
Jonathan Stewart - 5'11 - 230 - 20 - Oregon - Running Back
2007 - 177 - 1142 - 10 - 6.5

Note: He still has 2 game left this year, and is only 20 years old

2nd Round
Mike Hart - 5'9 - 202 - 21 - Michgan - Running Back
2004 - 282 - 1455 - 09 - 5.2
2005 - 150 - 0662 - 04 - 4.4
2006 - 318 - 1562 - 14 - 5.0
2007 - 215 - 1188 - 12 - 5.5
Total - 965 - 4867 - 39 - 5.0

Note: He still has 2 game left this year, and miss 2 games this year
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
RockJock07
Rookie

RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.RockJock07 could make a wolverine purr.

Both Hart and Stewart would be nice, but not likely. In addition to that, the more we go on into this season the more i think we need to add depth to the secondary.

As for the game, as many have said, it's hard to doubt them, as long as brett is able to throw it deep then we have a chance. The defense is also making plays when needed. They bend much more then i'd like to see but seem to come up with the big play when it matters most.

I like the attitude that MM is taking, he knows that he has a young team and is saying all the right things. Saying things like, we still have alot of football left, we are doing well right now but must keep our focus. I think alot of people slammed TT for picking MM but these guys are making quite the duo.

TT is giving MM guys who fit the system. TT doesn't go after the high-profile guys in the draft or free agency but he seems to find guys who are very solid and MM devolpes them. Jolly, Popinga, Korey Hall, are great examples. I think Harrell and Jackson will end up being a solid picks, they just need more time. It's good that Harrell is watching a D-line that is just nasty, he can focus on getting healthy for the run to the playoffs and i think Jackson is better coming off the bench.

All in all, i was really starting to wonder about TT, but he seems to building this team the right way and i expect the Pack to be a powerhouse in the NFC in the coming years which leads me to my next question, what about Brett.

Brett along with everyone else sees this team and the potential they have. If the pack don't make the super bowl, but make it deep into the playoffs, does Brett come back, what about seasons to come, i think many who were saying he should retire now see that he just needed some talent around him. Many thought that after that 4-12 season, that Brett was done, but then come MM and they seem to have a really good relationhip, not to the point of Holmgren, but what if Brett plays for another 3-4 seasons? Very interesting.

Sidesider for life, Go White Sox
RockJock07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but the Packers signed Donald Lee to a 4 year extension.

Good move, bye bye Bubba Franks.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After seeing Brett toss that TD to Jennings off his back foot I am convinced he still has the biggest cannon in the NFL. Damn.

Oh yeah, and Woodson is going to Hawaii.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
what do u think of the uniform change? I like it better over the light yellow.
Eeew. That just looks real bad. I actually like the green and the "gold." Apparently I'm one of the few...

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but the Packers signed Donald Lee to a 4 year extension.

I bet he sticks around. Packers need two TEs and they have nobody else who deserves to touch the field. Plus they have a ton of cap room so Franks' overblown salary isn't really a concern.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just out of curiosity (and I'm guessing that many of you won't be honest with yourselves and with a Bears fan;)) but how many of you are unsatisified with the Harrell pick?

Obviously at 7-1 there isn't much room for pessimism, but if there's one downside so far this season (besides the obvious flaws in the running game and underneath coverage) it would have to be the lack of contribution from the first two picks. Especially considering how well Corey Williams has played (and that it's unlikely they will resign him now), the Harrell pick seems like even more of a waste considering that Olsen and Leon Hall (who I thought they should have picked) would have seemingly helped a lot more not just this year but down the road.

Consider the flexibility the Packers could have in the draft this year if they had drafted Hall or Olsen last year.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Got the link? I can't find anything, but I'd like to see the details of this deal. Glad we got that done though, it was a move we needed to make.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity (and I'm guessing that many of you won't be honest with yourselves and with a Bears fan;)) but how many of you are unsatisified with the Harrell pick?

Obviously at 7-1 there isn't much room for pessimism, but if there's one downside so far this season (besides the obvious flaws in the running game and underneath coverage) it would have to be the lack of contribution from the first two picks. Especially considering how well Corey Williams has played (and that it's unlikely they will resign him now), the Harrell pick seems like even more of a waste considering that Olsen and Leon Hall (who I thought they should have picked) would have seemingly helped a lot more not just this year but down the road.

Consider the flexibility the Packers could have in the draft this year if they had drafted Hall or Olsen last year.
Obviously you're not going to be happy with your first round pick if he's played in two games 9 games into the season. I didn't really like the pick to begin with, but there was a relatively logical reason behind it. Of course it would have been nice to let Hall learn for a year or two behind arguably two of the best press CB's in the league. Or adding Olsen to an already dangerous passing attack. But, I don't think it's fair to effectively judge Harrell yet, based off of so little playing time.

I don't see why we wouldn't resign Williams. We have plenty of cap room, and not resigning home grown talent would pretty much be going against everything we do.

Hitman D

Old 11-05-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Got the link? I can't find anything, but I'd like to see the details of this deal. Glad we got that done though, it was a move we needed to make.
It was on the ESPN ticker. They said the MSJ reported it so I imagine there would be a link on their website.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/ar...extension.aspx

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:

I like Harrell as a prospect but picking a player who was bound to be a backup for at least a few years seemed stupid on a team like the Packers that had some obvious holes. Granted, the Packers love to rotate their DTs but they already have a stable of guys who are quality players. I imagine Harrell will eventually contribute, but he is more of a luxury than a necessity. I think trading down would have been the right move there but Thompson denied the Browns trade for some inexplicable reason.

I still think the Packers will do a lot in trying to resign Corey Williams. Like I said, they love to have a deep DT unit and rotate them. Plus, Williams can play some end and has really proved his worth this year.

I wasn't sold on Olsen that high (but if they traded down...) but I think Leon Hall would have been a good pick.

All this said, Harrell hasn't been given a fair shake yet and I bet next year he becomes a solid contributor. If Williams leaves in free agency, that will be key and he'll see a bunch of snaps.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:46 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I wanted Olsen or Lynch but with the way Peterson is running we need all the DT help in the world.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:46 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I don't see why we wouldn't resign Williams. We have plenty of cap room, and not resigning home grown talent would pretty much be going against everything we do.
Because Harrell is going to need to play at some point. If you resign Williams to the money he is going to merit, you're effectively shutting out Harrell from the starting lineup. It's the economics of pro football.

Not to mention that you have a good cap situation now because it's a team effectively composed of guys under their rookie contracts. You aren't going to be able to resign everyone.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Because Harrell is going to need to play at some point. If you resign Williams to the money he is going to merit, you're effectively shutting out Harrell from the starting lineup. It's the economics of pro football.

Not to mention that you have a good cap situation now because it's a team effectively composed of guys under their rookie contracts. You aren't going to be able to resign everyone.
Williams isn't even the starter. Johnny Jolly is. If Harrell plays up to his ability the Packers will rotate Pickett/Jolly/Williams/Harrell at DT. Williams could play some end as well. Colin Cole and Daniel Muir will likely be buried on the depth chart and only see action if injuries occur. The Packers need about 4 DTs to play their scheme effectively because they constantly rotate.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Damn...how could I forget about Johnny Jolly??

*Shakes head in shame*

Old 11-05-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Quote:

*Shakes head in shame*
How's Anthony Adams working out for you guys this year?

Hitman D

Old 11-05-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:

*Shakes head in shame*
I know he's your favourite player. You should probably make a sig featuring him.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
cordscords
Rookie

cordscords hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I love the new deal for Lee. 4 years, just under 12 mill.

The Broncos gave Daniel Graham a 5 years, 30 million.

Way to go TT :)
cordscords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordscords View Post

I just hope we continue to extend the key cogs to our team. All this young talent is great but useless if they via free agency in a few years.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I liked it on draft day, but not as much now. It's easy to say that looking back with what we now know though. No one expected Johnny Jolly to break out like he has. We did know about his bicep injury though so I wasn't expecting a huge impact this year. That's going to take a while to get over, next season he should be good to go. He was starting to get playing time, jumping Colin Cole on the depth chart, but then he injured his ankle.

I don't understand what you're saying in the part I bolded. I do hope we do resign Williams though. I think there's a good chance of that now with the impact he's had. The guys behind him are good but Williams has pulled away and is clearly the best of them.

The problem is that all of our tackles are still young: Ryan Pickett-28, Corey Williams-27, Johnny Jolly-24, Colin Cole-27, Justin Harrell 23. What I'd like to do is resign Williams and trade Cole for whatever draft pick we can get for him. That clears one spot out but doesn't weaken the position. It's a problem that will need to be cleared up in the near future, but I don't think we have to reshuffle it all this offseason.

As for if I'd rather have Olsen, no. I didn't ever want him and he'd be a bigger reach than Harrell at 16. If we traded down maybe, but I still wouldn't really want him. In an already strong passing game taking a first round pass catching TE doesn't make sense. Donald Lee is having a better year than Olsen and most other TEs in the league, so that wouldn't help much more than Harrell does.

Flexibility in this draft doesn't concern me. We need a RB, CB, and a #2 TE. Other than that we don't have any glaring needs.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I know he's your favourite player. You should probably make a sig featuring him.
I have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordscords View Post

That's a great deal. I still want to see more on the deal. I'm sure Thompson structured it to take advantage of the cap space we have for this year still.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Looks like Collins will be out "several" weeks. It's a good time to have an injury like this, I suppose, with the Vikings and Panthers coming up. I just hope he's back in time for the Lions and Cowboys games.

Hitman D

Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
How's Anthony Adams working out for you guys this year?
Actually Adams is having a very good year. He's starting now and playing well. It doesn't show up in the statline but he's stout against the run and penetrates the pocket rather well for a nose tackle. I knew that all it would take was a scheme change.

The problem is Dusty Dvoracek and Darwin Walker have been down all year with injuries. But you weren't actually looking for an answer, you were just trying to be witty and failed.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Looks like Collins will be out "several" weeks. It's a good time to have an injury like this, I suppose, with the Vikings and Panthers coming up. I just hope he's back in time for the Lions and Cowboys games.
Sweet, we get to play the two worst QBs in the league. :D

Time for our secondary to pad their stats!