Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
Seriously, is there anything in the world njx doesn't know?
The price of a pound of wild rice in Taiwan in pounds?

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFLDC doesn't deserve my Bree Olson goodness anyway. ;)
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
*shrug* you're probably in the minority. further, sigs are not stored on the server, and are thus not really a relevant part of the discussion.

for the record, one of the web servers i trust the most tends toward per-client quotes, but all start with relatively small 73-80 gb drives. adding more adds a large additional cost if the user asks for the back-up service (which tends to be pretty much essential in a server environment). allowing users to add 100x100 images at whim (and especially when they use animated crap) will fill up a drive faster than you think, especially when you remember that people will sign up for the site, add an avatar, then never post here afterwards when they forget about it.

for instance, via networks prices additional storage as:

SATA HD 80 GB $50 setup / $40 monthly
SATA HD 160 GB $50 setup / $60 monthly
SATA HD 250 GB $50 setup / $90 monthly
SCSI HD 36 GB $50 setup / $60 monthly
SCSI HD 73 GB $50 setup / $100 monthly
SCSI HD 146 GB $50 setup / $130 monthly

those are not really negligible fees. moresp when you consider they don't cover the back-up fees:

weekly 40 GB backup $100 setup / $65 monthly
daily 100 GB backup $100 setup / $100 monthly
an extra 10 GB backup $15 monthly

further, the difference between an account that's limited to 40 GB per month in bandwidth and one that's unlimited (at Via, those are the two distinctions) was $130/mo. or $230/mo. if you were upping from the low end dedicated. if you consider this forum and scott's main site, 40GB is not a whopping amount of data transfer.
There is no way you would need a 40 GB hard drive to store the avatars for this website. Restrict the size of each avatar to 500 KB or so and you won't even come close to reaching 1 GB of space.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
you're forgetting that there's a website attached to the board that will require most of the drive space. the size is then dependant on how many archives scott keeps, layout changes, manual backups, etc. further, the size of the board will also adversely affect that number, as some seldom used boards have reached 3gb (granted some are still under 100mb).

even then, we're still talking about the transfer of those avatars, which will occur across every single page a user views at least once per day (depending on their personal data cache preferences).

regardless, there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason so far for scott to spend more money so that users can have pretty little animated things next to their name that, currently, couldn't just go in their sig space.
There is no way this website uses even close to 40 GB of hard drive space. I guarantee Scott has a ton of extra hard drive space sitting there unused.

Obviously bandwidth usage would increase but this server can obviously handle the load. The cost would be negligible.

Signatures are intrusive and take longer to load than avatars. Plus, they don't serve the purpose of quick identification of who is posting as well as avatars do. I've rarely seen a forum on the internet that doesn't have avatars so I just can't understand the logic here.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
i've already shown the bandwidth cost isn't really negiligible, and that was on a completely random host i wouldn't typically use. i'm quite sure rackspace's fees are much higher (they used to be, though that may have changed).

if you'd rather have an avatar than a signature, replace one with the other. realistically, that's no different than hosting the avatars off-site to begin with and will take the exact same amount of time to load (meanwhile hosting avatars off-site and letting users have both would take longer to load). i'm also not entirely sure how vbulletin caches old avatars (as far as i can tell, the images are NOT deleted, which then requires scott to log into the web server and manually delete old ones. this is based strictly off reading the manual and not actual experience, so again, there may be hidden settings to limit this).
I would have no problem with adding off-site avatars and getting rid of signatures. Signatures serve no real purpose. Avatars make it easy to identify who is posting.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
then i would suggest petitioning the users to remove their sig and stick in an avatar instead. i'm not sure it will gain much traction.

as far as i can tell, there are no board mods for vbulletin 3.6 that will allow users to have off-site avatars. the only one i saw was for the 3.2 version and won't work with this board.
I haven't done much research into that but I'd imagine there would be a hack out there which would work. Too bad NFLDC isn't running phpBB anymore, especially since phpBB 3 is out now.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

***pulls thread back up...***

I see quite a few members with avatars... but can't add my own? Am I lost?

I want an avatar...
Old 11-05-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
***pulls thread back up...***

I see quite a few members with avatars... but can't add my own? Am I lost?

I want an avatar...
Only mods and special people get them.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think HOF members got Avatars now.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Nerv

this just in, njx sucks and i hate him
Old 11-05-2007, 04:16 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Is All-Pro the first "status" that you rate an avatar?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Chaucer
Rookie

Chaucer hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Chaucer hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
Seriously, is there anything in the world njx doesn't know?
Under his logic no. His argument for half of his knowledge is "Trust me I'm asian. I know" no matter how many sources you quote and how creditable they are him or his friends, probably made up, are more knowledgeable on the subject
Chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
this just in, njx sucks and i hate him
this just came in too, nervs a *****, and wished people noticed him
DChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is All-Pro the first "status" that you rate an avatar?
That has to do with Post Count.

stephenson86
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Or people on D-Unit's fantasy football teams... ;) :D
Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Nerv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChess View Post
this just came in too, nervs a *****, and wished people noticed him
DChess still follows me around hoping to get a whiff of my ballsweat. Ya, its that good.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
DChess still follows me around hoping to get a whiff of my ballsweat. Ya, its that good.
didnt know balls came with vag's, unless your still in the process of your "change".
Old 11-05-2007, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Nerv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChess View Post
didnt know balls came with vag's, unless your still in the process of your "change".
He reinforces my point by responding to my post immediately after it goes through. Did you get that whiff yet?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*posts in here to brag* just kidding
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF4 View Post
That has to do with Post Count.
Yes... I'm aware of this. So, sub "All-Pro" with "Post Count": Is there a certain post count that lets you rate an avatar?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown View Post
*posts in here to brag* just kidding
hater ib tha house.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:36 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes... I'm aware of this. So, sub "All-Pro" with "Post Count": Is there a certain post count that lets you rate an avatar?
No. The only people with avatars are mods, the winners of the scavenger hunt, and people who are on D-Units WFFL team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

Quote:
He reinforces my point by responding to my post immediately after it goes through. Did you get that whiff yet?
post-op or pre-op?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:50 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
I still want one, cranky-pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris
No. The only people with avatars are mods, the winners of the scavenger hunt, and people who are on D-Units WFFL team.
YAY! An answer to my question.

Appreciate it.