Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 10-21-2007, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Also, credit to Devery Henderson for hanging onto a deep ball to make a great touchdown reception to get the Saints up early.
Yeah, that was a great play by Henderson. Why Boley was on him, I have no clue.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we're starting to see this team slowly make some progress. Last week they showed they could win big on the road when they got a lot of bounces to go their way which they capitalized on. This week they pulled out a tough win where they didn't play very well.. but the difference was now at least they're making enough plays to find a way to win, rather than finding ways to lose like they did in the first Four Weeks. However the Saints still have a long ways to go, and still have a lot of work to do to get back to the level of play they were at in '06.

On to the game one thing I noticed was the Officiating was just down right terrible and that goes for both teams. The Officials really screwed both teams over with questionable calls but in a sloppy game like this you have to expect it, and fight through those things.

I'll give credit to the Defense for doing a good job down in the Redzone, and for the most part limiting them to Field goals. However we have to do a better job of getting off the field, and stopping them on 3rd downs. Once again I think the Rush Defense was fairly stout, limiting the Falcons to 75 net yards rushing, but the play of the secondary and pass Defense in general remains a huge concern. Both Jason Craft, and Fred Thomas gave up a lot of big completions today.. We have to do a better job of coming up with turnovers.

Brees struggled.. I'm not really sure if he has full confidence in the Wide Receivers, O-line, and even himself right now. There were times where he missed open receivers down field, and was inaccurate. However he did have a nice throw on the Henderson TD, and he made some completions down the stretch on a game winning drive. I think he will eventually snap out of this slump, and if he gets his rhythm and timing back we should be much more efficient as an Offense.

Bush was great today, he didn't have a good game numbers wise but he made 2 very big plays in the end of the game to give us the lead for good. I really think Pierre Thomas needs to get more touches on Offense. He's scrappy, and runs hard.

In the End all that matters is that we notched another 'W' in the wins column, however there are still a lot of things we need to work on (Third down efficiency, pass coverage, 3rd down defense and forcing turnovers...) before we can climb out of this hole.

Last edited by Auron : 10-22-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was a real ugly win but I'm glad we got the W. There are a ton of things we need to work on but I like how aggressive the defense looks.

Our offense still looks like it is not back in form.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:21 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Early thoughts on the Saints traveling out to the Bay to face the 49ers? While we're still trying to climb out of the gutter, the Niners are a team struggling mightily recently having lost 4 in a row. They've also got some of their key guys banged up Smith, and Gore but they both are expected to play. This game worries me some what because they are starting to get backed up against a wall and should be looking to respond at Home.

I think some keys to this game in general is improving the 3rd down efficiency on Offense, have to convert and extend drives when we have the opportunities. Win the time of possession battle and get those extra plays to get the ball to some of the emerging players like Pierre Thomas, and Lance Moore. I liked what I saw from the formations, and personnel groupings versus Atlanta, I think execution can improve in some areas I think specifically the timing between Drew and WRs can be sharper. Also think that motioning Colston, and Eric Johnson around the formation and working the seams, can be very effective as it looks like that opens up some creases for completions.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Game day today... late start. I hope we can pull out the win and get closer to being .500. *crosses fingers*
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Good win today. Only managed to catch parts of the game.

From what I saw the Passing game really clicked for the first time all season. Brees was in a rhythm and finally established good timing with the WRs. Colston in particular came up huge in the Red Zone with 3 TDs. The Defense overall played well again, held Gore to 41 yards rushing; but I thought we really missed out on a few turnover opportunities. We really have to find a way to come up with more turnovers to just give ourselves an advantage against better teams. Reggie Bush suffered a hip pointer, and I really hope he won't be out for an extended period of time. If it's something that will keep him out for a while it will be a huge blow for our running game which was already struggling.

Jacksonville will be a huge test to see how far we've really come as a team.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought it would take longer for the Saints to start pushing for the division title, but with Carolina and Tampa Bay both losing, the Saints are only a game back of the Panthers and half-a-game back of the Bucs right now.

You know, I really thought the Saints would win that home game against Carolina four weeks back and make a strong push from the division from there, but they started the next week going 3-0 after a disappointing 0-4 start.

Week 9's match-up against Jacksonville is tough, I sort of pegged that as a physical loss for the Saints before the season and probably still will now, but looking at the Saints' schedule thereafter, I thought it was very favorable. See my NFL Truths for that bit.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Week 9's match-up against Jacksonville is tough, I sort of pegged that as a physical loss for the Saints before the season
So did I. I don't like our chances in it at all. Not then or now... if Bush is hurt... eek. I think MJD is banged up and with Quinn Gray at QB that could help us out but we'll see.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

I don't think we match up with Jacksonville very well at all, Payton is 1-5 vs. the AFC so far, and they play a tough overly Physical brand of Defense that has given us fits in the past vs. similar teams. Those mammoth DTs can easily disrupt Brees' field vision, and their front 7 is stout. (Although Stroud will likely be suspended barring an appeal)

I'd like to see us use the Home field to our advantage, we haven't played well at Home this season.. and I think now would be a great game to make the crowd a factor early. I think our best chances is forcing Gray into mistakes, Jacksonville is going to try and limit his passing attempts to protect his weaknesses but we have to force them into passing situations. Lately this Defense has played well but they haven't capitalized on turnover opportunities much and they have to start now.

I'm nervous about this game because as a team we still have to collectively pull our heads above the water level. (still 1 game behind .500)
Old 11-04-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

24-17 Saints over Jags at the Half.

Exciting game, but it's terrible for my blood pressure. This is the best rhythm we've had on Offense for a while but we keep finding ways to shoot ourselves in the foot, with brief lapses of concentration. One second it looks we have the upper hand only to shift complete momentum over to the Jags by giving up a big play, or turning the ball over.

I think the Defense needs to come out with intensity in the second half force a 3 and out, or a turnover and we have to find a way to wind some clock down with a clock killing drive that ends up in 7. Mare is just completely unreliable right now.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good game, y'all. Brees freakin owned us. Looks like he's back into his normal groove. See ya en cuatro años...

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
Good game, y'all. Brees freakin owned us. Looks like he's back into his normal groove. See ya en cuatro años...
Yes good game sir. The Jags played very pesky and kept fighting back even when we delivered blows, and even though Gray made some awful throws there were moments were he shredded our Pass Defense.

I thought Payton had a great game plan today. Spread them out, with multiple WRs and wear them out with a fast tempo of getting to the line quickly, running some no-huddle and making the Defense hustle all the way down the field..leading to them getting tired out. I have to give a ton of credit to the Offensive Line, they did a great job of handling a very physical Defensive Line that I thought would surely give them some problems, allowing Drew to have the time to deliver the ball soundly and accurately.

There are still some downsides to this game which we have to work out, primarily giving up the big plays in the Secondary was a major disappointment, I think ball security should still be a focus. The running backs did a good job, but Drew had a fumble and an almost fumble that we just barely got away with. The kicking game is extremely shaky, not sure if Mare lost confidence or what.. but I'm really uncomfortable imagining him lining up for a game winning FG; if it ever came down to it.

I think the team has done a great job of staying focused and pulling off 4 straight wins, but after all that we're still only at 4-4. We have a long road ahead.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

I want to stab Jason David & Olindo Mare in the face, but I'll take the win.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

EDIT:

I'm dumb.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's wrong with Fincher? I didn't hear that he was injuired.

We looked great today. I love the way our defense is playing. I want Usama Young out on the field more often. Jason David would make an incredible nickelback but he is not a #2 CB. We need at least one more top corner on our team. Brian Simmons played very well and I think that he should start from now on over Scott Shanle, but WLB is something we need to address desperately. Same thing with MLB.

We have got to replace Mare soon. He will end up hurting us big time if we keep him.

But it was a good win. Next week we have the Rams. We should be able to get up to over .500 after that game.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Superb job by the Saints offense against the Jags defense, they really look like they are back to their Top 5 offense form of last year. Olindo Mare should be gone yesterday, a kicker not getting it done isn't worth this much concern/worry. Jimmy Johnson would have sent him packing four weeks ago.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

It was a great gameplan by Sean Payton. Jax is a VERY physical football team... so spread them out and just simply pick them apart. A great, great job our offensive line giving Drew Brees to stay in the pocket untouched to deliver strikes. Colston had a huge game even though he didn't score a TD. Here's hoping we blow the Rams out next week.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Superb job by the Saints offense against the Jags defense, they really look like they are back to their Top 5 offense form of last year. Olindo Mare should be gone yesterday, a kicker not getting it done isn't worth this much concern/worry. Jimmy Johnson would have sent him packing four weeks ago.
I agree but the problem is this late in the season who can you find as a reliable replacement? Mare is certainly a liability in the kicking game, his leg strength is an asset on kick offs but his Field Goal accuracy is just terrible. Inexcusable to miss 2 crucial (at the time) FGs inside a Dome with no adverse weather conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
It was a great gameplan by Sean Payton. Jax is a VERY physical football team... so spread them out and just simply pick them apart. A great, great job our offensive line giving Drew Brees to stay in the pocket untouched to deliver strikes. Colston had a huge game even though he didn't score a TD. Here's hoping we blow the Rams out next week.
Team has to stay focused, how disastrous would it be after all that work in getting to .500 to have a letdown game against a winless Rams team? I think like Bush hit the nail on the head when he said, Payton won't let them "Eat the cheese", and after that 0-4 start they are not going to take any game for granted.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

I was just thinking about that. If we lost to St. Louis... I wouldn't put it pass this team, but I hope we go in and blow the hinges off of them.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Yeah, we have to stay focused against St. Louis. This is an old NFC West match up and I'm looking forward to a good game.

There are still a few things I want the Saints to work on but I love the way the offense is clicking. I also really like the way the defense is playing. We haven't given up a 100 yard rusher since Game 1.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Monday thoughts from Coach Payton:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/469444622df001

Old 11-08-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Charles Grant will sit out against the Rams due to his ankle injury.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:21 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Charles Grant will sit out against the Rams due to his ankle injury.
As will Brian Young for having surgery on his knee. Not good to be having Defensive line injuries the week you're facing Steven Jackson..
Old 11-09-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
As will Brian Young for having surgery on his knee. Not good to be having Defensive line injuries the week you're facing Steven Jackson..
Quote:
Nov 8 Jackson (back) isn't expected to get a full workload against the Saints in Week 10, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
Recommendation: The club is going to be extra cautious with their franchise running back, especially now that they are all but out of the playoff chase. Head coach Scott Linehan was quoted as saying, "He's (Jackson) still not 100 percent. If we can get a certain amount of plays, and have him ready for Sunday, it will be beneficial for us. We're planning it that way." The bottom line is don't expect 20-plus carries and 5-10 receptions from Jackson on Sunday.
That's somewhat of a relief.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I read that too a day or two ago, and took it with a grain of salt. I don't fully buy it, especially if the Rams are in position to win a game. We'll see, I guess.