Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 11-01-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
ripdw27
Veteran

ripdw27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i dont think we need both olbs, just a mlb so we can kick dj back outside. safety is our most pressing need after that. actually i take that back, we need some o lineman to really open up the offense. id looove to get jake long but thats a huge stretch.

and njx, id like to think that jim bates was a good personnel move, we just need to blitz more. i like the running and zbs but the playcalling has got to improve. you watch the games a lot closer then i do so im not gonna argue any further.
ripdw27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 AM    (permalink
urinemonkey
Rookie

urinemonkey hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i did like toonster's thought of sam baker in the last mock. someone has to take over for lepsis soon, and it's not pears.

Ryan Harris?
urinemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to see the team address the middle and strong backer spots in the offseason. Webster is decent for depth, but we can do better. DJ sucks in the middle - let him go back to the weak side. Shoot Gold and bury his body in the woods so Shanahan can't find it - even dead, Shanny is likely to give him a starting spot.

Other critical items include:
1. A safety who can cover
2. A decent returner who can play a little WR
3. A solid DT

The simple fact is that the defense needs to rebuild properly, not the typical half-assed Shanahan fashion. I think it would be wise to trade away some of the old veterans and bring in more young guys to build for the future.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 AM    (permalink
urinemonkey
Rookie

Quote:
is a RT, and was a 3rd round pick. it's not like he's good yet or irreplacable. further, i'd rather have a few guys going then just one who may or may not pan out. i'm also still waiting on answers to the above on DJ.
Harris is a LT, he was drafted to eventually replace Matt Lepsis at that position. The fact that he was drafted in the 3rd round is irrelevant, considering Denver finds most of their good linemen in the later rounds (or undrafted). I'm sure you remember George Foster. He was drafted in the 1st round - how did that work out?

I stand by everything I said about DJ too. I see him plugging the running lanes and making the tackle consistently. Like I said before, it's not that easy to do when you're adjusting to a new position and scheme and having to take on blockers because the DTs can't. I do think DJ is ineffective at getting off blocks, but then again, so are a lot of MLBs. Just ask Ray Lewis.

Last edited by urinemonkey : 11-03-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:46 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

JCutlery hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

DJ needs time and experience at the position. Give him the rest of the season to figure it out, otherwise bring in Jon Vilma (great idea) and put DJ back on the weakside. I just hope Shanny does the right thing, a proper evaluation of Gold at season's end, and dumps him.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
urinemonkey
Rookie

Wow, we suck. Glenn Dorsey, here we come (hopefully).
Old 11-04-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hey, we lost to the Lions... twice!

So don't feel to bad.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
hey, we lost to the Lions... twice!

So don't feel to bad.
Yeah, but I actually thought the Broncos were an elite team (and played decent competition to earn their past records). Withouts the injuries, I still think they are... but injuries are a part of the NFL.

Both teams have big problems at important positions, though... Griese or Ramsey? Benson or Young? Which injured defense?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, either way, the NFC North should be fun to watch for years to come.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
Well, either way, the NFC North should be fun to watch for years to come.
If each team can find a franchise QB, I'll agree.

Grossman, Griese or Orton in Chi? Jackson, Holcomb or Bollinger in Minn? Is Stanton the answer when Kitna decides to stop playing? What about GB? Can Rodgers take over when Favre calls it quits?

Poor QB play can ruin a team... and each team is headed in that direction.

Last edited by TacticaLion : 11-04-2007 at 05:55 PM.
TacticaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

JCutlery hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wow, that's embarrassing. The worst game ever. Injury after injury after injury. It was hard to watch. This team needs to get into full-rebuilding mode. Defense needs an overhaul. Same with the offensive line. I don't know what to do about the coaching staff. Heimerdinger seems like trash to me.. All in all, horrible game. Are the Nuggets on yet ?!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
ripdw27
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCutlery View Post
Wow, that's embarrassing. The worst game ever. Injury after injury after injury. It was hard to watch. This team needs to get into full-rebuilding mode. Defense needs an overhaul. Same with the offensive line. I don't know what to do about the coaching staff. Heimerdinger seems like trash to me.. All in all, horrible game. Are the Nuggets on yet ?!
yeah lets cross our fingers. rockies went to the world series, maybe the nuggets go to the finals. i dont watch a lot of pro ball, jsut the bucks bulls n nuggets so im probably gonna turn to that... oh and dear Lord please let Cutler be ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We could certainly end up going OL in round 1. It's a deep draft at OT... likely someone with good value will be available whenever we pick. I think DT is a bigger need, but teams like Miami and the Raiders also need help there which creates a bit of a problem.

I believe the whole "bargain basement" approach to OL came from the ability of Alex Gibbs, who could work wonders with limited talent. The system is still there, as are a few of the players (Lepsis, Nalen) but the genius is not. Given the importance of line play in the NFL, the Broncos must ensure the talent level of the OL is sufficient to allow Cutler the chance he needs to succeed.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Simeon Rice was released. He had been dealing with injuries for most of the season and never made an impact. This opens the door for the young guys to get more playing time....

http://rotoworld.com/content/Headlin...=NFL&hl=104295
Old 11-09-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
urinemonkey
Rookie

Quote:
i don't buy that he's a capable LT. i do buy that he could be a plug-in at RT. further, what does george foster have to do with harris being expendable or not? this shouldn't be difficult to figure out, but let me speak slowly (or type slowly): if you draft a guy in the 3rd round, you haven't made much of an investment in him, meaning that he is not, as i said, irreplacable. that has NOTHING to do with whether or not he could be a good player. it simply (or apparently, not so simply) suggests that a player drafted in the third round is stupid justification from a fans perspective for not drafting someone else at the same position. i know it's hard to fathom.
1st off, I'm not 100% in love with your tone right now. 2ndly, Harris fits better at LT because normally the bigger guys play RT. He is 6'5" 300 lbs. - which is the typical smaller O-lineman the Broncos use. George Foster and Erik Pears, the respective starters at RT in recent years, are both bigger, wider bodies. He played LT at Notre Dame and his strength is supposedly pass-protection. I see your point about the draft position, but I doubt they will take another OL 1st round after being burned by Foster. That and the defense is in shambles, so that should take first priority.

Quote:
last week, 60% of DJ's tackles were at 5+ yards (on run plays only). against green bay (worst running attack in the league), 50% of his stops came at 6+ yards (against the immortal ryan grant). in the last 3 games he has 1 tackle for a loss. that's disgusting. you see him consistently making tackles at 6 yards. which is great if you want to have the worst run defense in the league. but it pretty much sucks if you ever want your offense to get the ball back. DJ has terrible instincts at the position and regularly puts himself into ian gold like position in the hole (that is, just in the right place to get taken out of the play by a fullback). he doesn't react fast enough to anything happening on the play (not even with instincts i'd expect from ANY linebacker). he's completely out of position. put him back outside and find someone who can read run plays and take on blockers. let DJ use his athleticism. he's been steadily less effective since his rookie year (coincidentally, the only year he played WLB).
Fair enough. Still, it's his first year there and it's not like the DT's are doing much to keep blockers off him. That's why I'm hoping for a big-time DT next offseason above all.

Last edited by urinemonkey : 11-09-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:00 PM    (permalink
ripdw27
Veteran

this is almost kinda depressing. i havent worn my broncos shirt since the monday before they play the packers, usually i wear it to bed and every sunday. its hard to beleive that at the beginning of the season i thought we had a shot to go at least 11-5. i think it coulda happened if we didnt get swamped with injuries.

*btw does anyone know who will be free agents that we should look at?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually, Ryan Harris is a LT. If he doesn't play LT, he'll play guard in the NFL.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 AM    (permalink
ripdw27
Veteran

is cutler starting at qb? i have him on my fantasy... the real team isnt going anywhere but im in 2nd place so yea haha how bout travis henry?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 AM    (permalink
Wyndham
Rookie

Wyndham hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Cutler, yes. Travis Henry is a game-time decision but I'd bet that he goes, too.

I'd expect 220-1-1 from Cutler and 17-70-0 from Henry.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 PM    (permalink
ripdw27
Veteran

why is there no thread for the kansas city game? didnt anyone see it? (all i saw were the scores) i was so stoked we won but then again i thought we had everything going for us when we beat the steelers.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Domonique Foxworth, is a RFA what do you think will be his asking price?, what round

Last edited by The Legend : 01-29-2008 at 10:10 PM.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:23 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Domonique Foxworth, is a RFA what do you think will be his asking price?, what round
3rd rounder seems right to me.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Javon = Out
????? = In

Im sure we can all agree on one thing. Stokley is one hell of a #3. I don't really think he will do as much for us as a #2 though. Having that said, I don't really see us drafting an impact receiver day 1. Not an immediate need with B-Marsh's sudden explosion. However, at some point (and you all know it) we are going to sign a legitimate #2 reciever, or hell we might even go after another #1, and make Brandon our #2.

The player im talking about? I'm going to type his name, but here he is:
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/war...mg.06708_t.jpg

As for the _________ above. Another Pro-Bowl target definatley can't hurt Cutler, and as TJ Houshmanzadeh showed, the #2 reciever playing along side _________ will get his fair share of catches. (Or, simply, Brandon will still produce.)

Why would we do this? Because we're going to loose our former #1, and stokley isnt a #2. Doubt we're going to draft a guy and start him.

So.. how does this sound, since ________ is already involved in trade talks, and wants out of his current team?

___________ for Javon Walker, Ian Gold, and a 4th. Bungles need a LB. They can have him. I'd trade Gold for David Pollack a this point.

Hell, if this doesn't do it for you, lets find away to get lance briggs, trade javon to chicago, dump gold, and move DJ back to weakside

Last edited by Jimmy : 01-31-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:32 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any news on if you guys are keeping Walker or letting him go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Any news on if you guys are keeping Walker or letting him go?
Word is we are currently shopping him around.