Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I found Coachdent article on Texans message board very interesting and worth reading to find out why we are struggling so much with cover 2 defense and vertical game of the Texans.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=31619
I gotta say I really like how he broke it down. However, there are many ways to exploit the cover two which he either didn't cover or emphasize. To keep it short in order to beat the cover two you have to exploit the players covering each zone. Releasing 2 or three receivers at a time will never be effective if they don't focus on certain zones. The way we've run our defense we've usually had two receivers going deep the problem is that there are four defenders covering these zones and since we don't send a third receiver into deep routes defenders have an easier time of rolling coverage to the zones the receivers are covering. If we had a slot receiver or TE run a deeper route to occupy a deep zone that had to be accounted for by a safety we would have one of the other two receivers on one on one match-ups.

I think it boils down to our coaches not willing to do these things. I'm hard pressed to think that they don't know how to handle this defense when they came in with the knowledge of facing Dungy's defense and not having a plan on beating it. If you notice late in the game we've had success against these defenses, but the coaches got to do this throughout the game not once we've fallen behind. The five wide sets really exploit this cover, but you don't see this as much as you should from our team.

I really don't want to get into berating the coaches because to be honest they're rookies as well. However alot of what ails this team still lies at their feet. I don't like how conservative they can get and I don't aprove of everything they do, however considering they are rookies I gotta hope that they can learn from their mistakes and correct them before the end of the season. I say give them time because sometimes when your so engrossed with something it can be hard to see what the dilema is, hopefully coach K will get it figured out real soon.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Grid
Rookie

Grid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin
Quote:
I found Coachdent article on Texans message board very interesting and worth reading to find out why we are struggling so much with cover 2 defense and vertical game of the Texans.

I gotta say I really like how he broke it down. However, there are many ways to exploit the cover two which he either didn't cover or emphasize. To keep it short in order to beat the cover two you have to exploit the players covering each zone. Releasing 2 or three receivers at a time will never be effective if they don't focus on certain zones. The way we've run our defense we've usually had two receivers going deep the problem is that there are four defenders covering these zones and since we don't send a third receiver into deep routes defenders have an easier time of rolling coverage to the zones the receivers are covering. If we had a slot receiver or TE run a deeper route to occupy a deep zone that had to be accounted for by a safety we would have one of the other two receivers on one on one match-ups.

I think it boils down to our coaches not willing to do these things. I'm hard pressed to think that they don't know how to handle this defense when they came in with the knowledge of facing Dungy's defense and not having a plan on beating it. If you notice late in the game we've had success against these defenses, but the coaches got to do this throughout the game not once we've fallen behind. The five wide sets really exploit this cover, but you don't see this as much as you should from our team.

I really don't want to get into berating the coaches because to be honest they're rookies as well. However alot of what ails this team still lies at their feet. I don't like how conservative they can get and I don't aprove of everything they do, however considering they are rookies I gotta hope that they can learn from their mistakes and correct them before the end of the season. I say give them time because sometimes when your so engrossed with something it can be hard to see what the dilema is, hopefully coach K will get it figured out real soon.
I agree with you 100% but due to lack of talent on both side of the ball, Kubes is playing it safe and trying to keep the ball games under control. If he had better running game then you might have seen better play action play. This is the reason he was trying to acquire DeAngelo Williams in the draft last year. Good thing he didn't because it would have meant no Ryans.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Grid
Rookie

Depending on off season moves you have to select the best player based your team priority and needs.

Round 1 - Allan Branch or AP or Lynch or Thomas (depending on health of Spencer)
Old 12-03-2006, 10:33 AM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you 100% but due to lack of talent on both side of the ball, Kubes is playing it safe and trying to keep the ball games under control. If he had better running game then you might have seen better play action play. This is the reason he was trying to acquire DeAngelo Williams in the draft last year. Good thing he didn't because it would have meant no Ryans.
At this point in the season a lack of talent can be attributed to injuries. However even if a team lacks talent in one area it is the coaches job to make sure there is enough talent on the team at all time to get the job done. Our DT area is average at best however they do their job well enough that everyone else can still be effective. The play action shouldn't even be an issue. If you don't have a running game you drop the play action and drop straight into the passing play. This is also something that frustrates me about this coaching staff. You got third and long and you think that a defense is going to fall for a play action. Even if you did run on third and long D's in the zone coverage don't worry much about it because the RB would have to get through the firs level of zones before getting the first down. Also when you have success with a 5 receiver set and know it gives zone defenses trouble covering it why disguise it. Shove it down their throat and get the first down. This is a battle of wills and alot of times you need to just go with your strength and put it agains their strength and see who comes out on top.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:24 AM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Well, gameday is here and while usually I'm hyped up and full of confidence, after last week's game I'm a little tentative about todays game. I have confidence we can take this game, but it should still be a good game. Last week was just bad how we came out so flat. If we come out like that again we're gonna be crushed. (again) However if we play like we mean it we can definetely take this game. Hopefully we get the win. GO TEXANS!!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:18 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big win today.

How'd Mario look?
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:40 PM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

primetime0506 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

sloppy game 2 day but we won and that wa matters carr played bad but demeco ryans was a beast again
primetime0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:55 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

:shock: DEMECO :shock:

If he doesn't get DROY then I will be pissed. Demeco is so damn good he will be a great part of our defense for many years to come.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just 4 more weeks and this nightmare will be over for the Raiders but I still give credit where credit is due Ryans looks awesome should be DROTY and even Mario Williams was blowing plays up like crazy.

2 young studs
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Grid
Rookie

Demeco Ryans had one of the greatest games I've seen a linebacker have. He recovered two fumbles. He forced a fumble. He intercepted a pass. He had a sack. And he had a game-high 15 tackles (14 solo tackles and 1 assist). If he's not defensive rookie of the year there should be an investigation. Right now, I think he should get strong consideration for the Pro Bowl.

Presently Ryans is leading the league in solo tackles.

As for Carr, I think time is right accept our loss and move on. It amazes me he was drafted top of his class and he consistently performs like some one who wasn't even drafted or some one who has absolutely no business being on the football field.

It amazes me how these guys makes millions of dollars and yet have no self pride or lack motivations.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:09 PM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

when carr came out he was the #1 qb and he was coming from an nfl type system and he also threw the ball deep alot and was considered a good decision maker but bad coching and bad o-line was the reson he struggled early but now he has to take blame this year i sitll think 1 more year becaue he changes offense so much but evry 1 on radio pretty much wantes him gone and if we do juss hope we dont get jake plummer because then it be worse next year cuz he sucked with denver and on a worse team like houston he suck even more and make you more fustrated
Old 12-05-2006, 09:27 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

It's frustrating to see the blame get put everywhere, but where it should be. Kubiak is the HC so I don't know if he's the one responsible for everything the offense does. However the play-calling is attrocious. Running a bootleg on the 1-2 yd. line when the defense has shown nothing but effectiveness with back side discipline is just STUPID. Turning around and running a reverse to that side stupid. Okay here's a question. Has anyone seen any of the TE's bump the DE before releasing into their routes. Ummm. No I bet you haven't they never do that that's a part of the protection problem. Heres another one. Has anybody seen a deep slant or crossing route? I didn't think so. Kubiak says he wants to put his players in positions to succeed, but the guy keeps doing the same thing over and over again. He needs to change things up. I hate to say it because he's a rookie HC, but right now all our offensive problems are squarely at his feet.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:39 PM    (permalink
primetime0506
Rookie

preach preach preach i understand wa ur sayin man he needs to do more things with the offense because the plays have become predictable he needs to PA and throw deep take sum the coverage back and they need to run deep drags and the TE needs to push the safteys up the field and that will allow the deep routes to be there but still players must play but i still think carr is a good qb
Old 12-06-2006, 03:40 AM    (permalink
Grid
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime0506
when carr came out he was the #1 qb and he was coming from an nfl type system and he also threw the ball deep alot and was considered a good decision maker but bad coching and bad o-line was the reson he struggled early but now he has to take blame this year i sitll think 1 more year becaue he changes offense so much but evry 1 on radio pretty much wantes him gone and if we do juss hope we dont get jake plummer because then it be worse next year cuz he sucked with denver and on a worse team like houston he suck even more and make you more fustrated

What do you expect from a quarterback who had to endure record setting beating for 5 years straight?

He is walking on his own two feet is very big thing right now. What happened to him in Oakland should not be blamed on his head. Even you put Payton Manning in Carr place and believe me Manning will be no better then Carr.

I remember last year in AFC playoff Manning was sacked a few times and he publicly blasted the team and offensive line for the loss against Pittsburg. In five years, we have never heard Carr complain publicly to any one.

I think Carr has all the tools to be a great QB in the NFL but he is not capable of doing it on his own, he is not some one who is capable of carrying his team on his back. Carr can be good game manager, which is not a bad thing (Ben Roethlisberger of Pittsburg) but he is not some one who will throw the ball all over the field and bring the team back from behind.

One of the reason Pittsburgh has struggled this year is due to inconsistency in their running game because their offense is built on running game and Texans have similar philosophy.

There are many factors contributing to Carr demise Offensive Line, No running game or inconsistent running game, Play calling. For all practical purposes we will never know how good Carr could have been if he had half way decent OL protection and running game on his side. After taking beating for 5 straight years, Carr is not the same QB who played against cowboys on the opening night in 2002.

I remember same thing had happened to Oilers, Dan Pasterini and he didn’t take half as much beating as Carr has taken the past 5 years. When Earl Campbell joined Oilers in 1978 is when Oilers started wining and making playoffs. Our most pressing need with this team is finding that kind of a running back.

Maybe drafting Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch can take some of the pressure off of Carr, and help move the chain with some consistency and control the clock. It will also give Texans time to build the team accordingly.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:45 AM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you guys dont want Carr anymore, we'll gladly take him
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott's new mock has us taking Sam Baker, I don't really like that pick. The Texans don't need to invest more draft picks in offensive tackles this draft. Spencer was very good before his injury, and Winston is coming along.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Peterson is picked by our selection, I think we should trade down into the teens and get Marshawn. We have so many more pressing needs and Kubes is supposed to make an 1000 yard rusher out of anyone, but I believe a lot of the offense we thought we were getting is still in Denver. I don't want a rookie corner. We need an established vet. I love Brian Leonard, he could be a great FB with us, although we don't run the FB that much, they catch a whole lot of passes, something he's much better than Cook at. Plus he blocks better too. Line is always an option, but I'm never a fan of drafting a position high one year, and then drafting it high again the next. Winston looked bad last Sunday, hopefully, with more experience he can be a good player. I love Spencer. I think he can be our LT. I'd like to move Weigert inside to RG, and then possibly get a new future center; I'm not so sure about Hodgon. Pitts still isn't very good, the only reason I like him is that he's been in nearly every offensive play in our short history. We need to get a slot receiver. Our lack of a downfield threat has really shown this year. I still like Carr, although I'd much rather have Vince Young. Carr has been too beat up and experienced too much criticism and loss. He has no poise or confidence. I'm pretty positive we ruined him as a player. I would be very glad if our offseason went something like this.

1(12-18 range). Marshawn Lynch
2(5-10 range). Ben Grubbs
2.(12-18 range) Brian Leonard
3.(5-10 range) Brandon Meriweather or Brandon Mebane

Sign:
If Mebane is the pick - Ken Kamlin, Deon Grant or Jordan Babineaux to play FS
We'd be extremely fortunate to sign either Asante Samuel or Nate Clements.
If Meriweather is the pick - Corey Redding, Terdell Sands or Vonnie Holliday. It depends on what we're looking for. Redding has played very well this year at DT in the Cover 2. It's his natural position. Sands has finally filled his Madden potential, meaning he is huge and smart on the field. Holliday is a penetrating savvy vet.
The WR spot is kind of weak. If we throw big money to a 2 good D players, we might not have much more room, although I'm pretty sure we're well under the cap. Kevin Curtis would be a great slot guy, although I'm not sure we can lure him away. Bobby Wade could be a solid player. I don't enjoy getting excited about next season in the middle of this one. We need a big win sunday.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Peterson is picked by our selection, I think we should trade down into the teens and get Marshawn. We have so many more pressing needs and Kubes is supposed to make an 1000 yard rusher out of anyone, but I believe a lot of the offense we thought we were getting is still in Denver. I don't want a rookie corner. We need an established vet. I love Brian Leonard, he could be a great FB with us, although we don't run the FB that much, they catch a whole lot of passes, something he's much better than Cook at. Plus he blocks better too. Line is always an option, but I'm never a fan of drafting a position high one year, and then drafting it high again the next. Winston looked bad last Sunday, hopefully, with more experience he can be a good player. I love Spencer. I think he can be our LT. I'd like to move Weigert inside to RG, and then possibly get a new future center; I'm not so sure about Hodgon. Pitts still isn't very good, the only reason I like him is that he's been in nearly every offensive play in our short history. We need to get a slot receiver. Our lack of a downfield threat has really shown this year. I still like Carr, although I'd much rather have Vince Young. Carr has been too beat up and experienced too much criticism and loss. He has no poise or confidence. I'm pretty positive we ruined him as a player. I would be very glad if our offseason went something like this.

Sign:
If Meriweather is the pick - Corey Redding, Terdell Sands or Vonnie Holliday. It depends on what we're looking for. Redding has played very well this year at DT in the Cover 2. It's his natural position. Sands has finally filled his Madden potential, meaning he is huge and smart on the field. Holliday is a penetrating savvy vet.
The WR spot is kind of weak. If we throw big money to a 2 good D players, we might not have much more room, although I'm pretty sure we're well under the cap. Kevin Curtis would be a great slot guy, although I'm not sure we can lure him away. Bobby Wade could be a solid player. I don't enjoy getting excited about next season in the middle of this one. We need a big win sunday.
America
Pro Bowler

Sign:
Old 12-07-2006, 02:25 AM    (permalink
Grid
Rookie

Carr is auditioning for his Job in the next 4 games.

Link 1: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4384854.html

Link 2: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4382253.html

On Texans official forum some one was discussing that Coach K had said some time back that he likes to try Fred Weary at OC some times next year, if Wric Winston doesn't out at RT. But first he wants to give all the chances to Eric to play RT full time. On draft year of Fred Weary he was listed as number 1 OC in the draft. I think it will be a good move.

LT - Spencer
LG - Pitts
OC - Fred Weary
RG - Eric Winston
Old 12-07-2006, 02:26 AM    (permalink
Grid
Rookie

Carr is auditioning for his Job in the next 4 games.

Link 1: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4384854.html

Link 2: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4382253.html

On Texans official forum some one was discussing that Coach K had said some time back that he likes to try Fred Weary at OC some times next year, if Wric Winston doesn't out at RT. But first he wants to give all the chances to Eric to play RT full time. On draft year of Fred Weary he was listed as number 1 OC in the draft. I think it will be a good move.

LT - Spencer
LG - Pitts
OC - Fred Weary
RG - Eric Winston
Old 12-08-2006, 08:53 AM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big game this week for both teams 8)

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:11 AM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

It's game day baby! As usual this game is very winnable. NO CHECK THAT WE WILL WIN THIS GAME!! I can feel it. Usually this feeling changes from week to week, but I just feel our guys are gonna really be up for this. Taylor was activated so hopefully he'll get some carries today.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:47 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Battle Red Day? I'm there nonetheless. Demeco will continue his dominance.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:21 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's game day baby! As usual this game is very winnable. NO CHECK THAT WE WILL WIN THIS GAME!! I can feel it. Usually this feeling changes from week to week, but I just feel our guys are gonna really be up for this. Taylor was activated so hopefully he'll get some carries today.
VYisaGOD.....no sweep.....

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote