Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-04-2006, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
Hey, while we're rehashing the game I think Hatcher deserves some props. When he got head-butted by McKenzie (I think), he was smart enough to put up his hands and not retaliate so that he didn't draw an offsetting foul. That was a heads up move by a rookie.
Good call.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anthony Henry has been getting burnt all year. I think there is real reason for concern.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Anthony Henry has been getting burnt all year. I think there is real reason for concern.
You know, he didn't even turn his damn head around on that Burress Touchdown. Just complete faceguarding. It was ridiculous.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Old 12-04-2006, 04:03 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Parcells was highly critical of our DE's especially Spears in his press conference today. If we're going to be hatin on somebody it shoud be Spears. Parcells said a change to the starting lineup is possible, hopefully it would be Ratliff.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

i think spears is doing just fine... he plays in a 3-4, hes not going to provide that much pressure. hes in there to take away the run and ive seen him come up big on multiple occasions this year. I like how we use a rotation but i think the starters should stay as they are.

Henry regressed yesterday, i thought after he had a good game against the colts and then showed up in the game after that, we wouldnt have any more problems, but that was pretty bad play by him on the TD.. The endzone is so short and he saw plax was going for the corner, i would think it would be natural for him to turn around and gaurd the jump ball instead of face gaurding? oh well.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

I want to see Hatcher in there.

Albert Camus
Old 12-04-2006, 04:26 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336
i think spears is doing just fine... he plays in a 3-4, hes not going to provide that much pressure. hes in there to take away the run and ive seen him come up big on multiple occasions this year. I like how we use a rotation but i think the starters should stay as they are.

Henry regressed yesterday, i thought after he had a good game against the colts and then showed up in the game after that, we wouldnt have any more problems, but that was pretty bad play by him on the TD.. The endzone is so short and he saw plax was going for the corner, i would think it would be natural for him to turn around and gaurd the jump ball instead of face gaurding? oh well.
The lack of pass rush is only a relatively small part of it, Spears is also playing pretty poorly against the run.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually forgot to mention this. Marcus Spears has been a big disappointment so far. He's nothing more than an average 3-4 DE. You don't invest the 16th pick in the draft on an average DE. Thats simply not acceptable. Right now Luis Castillo is light years ahead of him, and Canty is definately better than him.

Id sub him out for Hatcher or Ratliff. They have both come up huge this year and are excellent pass rushers. I think they'd give your defense more spark in pass rushing situations, Spears simply is not getting good pressure on 1st and 2nd down. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if he is your version of William Joseph. A guy with all the physical gifts in the world, but for some unexplainable reason, can't translate it on the field.

Another note, the complaints about the ILBs blitzes. Their lack of pressure isn't necessary a testament to the ILBs, I think its moreso a testament to the NT position.

Ferguson is a very serviceable NT against the run, but he is not a presence in the middle like Hampton or Williams. He doesn't have to be doubled all the time, and because of that, the ILB blitz doesn't come unblocked. He needs to do a better job occuping linemen so his backers can come unblocked. Thats the real issue with the ILB blitz.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:52 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate to call you out, D-Unit, but you are delusional if you think that Henry has been playing badly. I just have to shake my head at how clueless people can be sometimes. Corners get beat from time to time, that's what they do. On the Burress TD, Henry had perfect coverage. There is not a defensive back in the league that could have, or would have, played that one iota better. If you want more proof of Henry's stellar play, you should check out KC Joyner's latest article on ESPN.com. He has Henry ranked as the #1 most under-rated CB in the entire league, and shows his metrics for the year, which happen to be near the top of the league. You should know better.

Btw, BBD, I composed a huge post in response to your game-breakdown, but my comp wiped it out, and I'm too depressed to re-do it right now. It was good, though.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
I hate to call you out, D-Unit, but you are delusional if you think that Henry has been playing badly. I just have to shake my head at how clueless people can be sometimes. Corners get beat from time to time, that's what they do. On the Burress TD, Henry had perfect coverage. There is not a defensive back in the league that could have, or would have, played that one iota better. If you want more proof of Henry's stellar play, you should check out KC Joyner's latest article on ESPN.com. He has Henry ranked as the #1 most under-rated CB in the entire league, and shows his metrics for the year, which happen to be near the top of the league. You should know better.

Btw, BBD, I composed a huge post in response to your game-breakdown, but my comp wiped it out, and I'm too depressed to re-do it right now. It was good, though.
Can you give me a quick breakdown? Sounds like its time for a new PC too.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote="bigbluedefense"]
Quote:

Or to buy a mac instead of a pc :D

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Quote:

He had perfect coverage, but he didn't turn to look for the ball. If he had he would have broken it up. That was a mistake.

Albert Camus
Old 12-04-2006, 05:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

[quote="Modano"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:

Or to buy a mac instead of a pc :D
lol, I knew someone was gonna say that.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I actually forgot to mention this. Marcus Spears has been a big disappointment so far. He's nothing more than an average 3-4 DE. You don't invest the 16th pick in the draft on an average DE. Thats simply not acceptable. Right now Luis Castillo is light years ahead of him, and Canty is definately better than him.

Id sub him out for Hatcher or Ratliff. They have both come up huge this year and are excellent pass rushers. I think they'd give your defense more spark in pass rushing situations, Spears simply is not getting good pressure on 1st and 2nd down. Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if he is your version of William Joseph. A guy with all the physical gifts in the world, but for some unexplainable reason, can't translate it on the field.

Another note, the complaints about the ILBs blitzes. Their lack of pressure isn't necessary a testament to the ILBs, I think its moreso a testament to the NT position.

Ferguson is a very serviceable NT against the run, but he is not a presence in the middle like Hampton or Williams. He doesn't have to be doubled all the time, and because of that, the ILB blitz doesn't come unblocked. He needs to do a better job occuping linemen so his backers can come unblocked. Thats the real issue with the ILB blitz.
I agree about the NT issue. If we had a better pass rusher there, and that would make the entire defense better. That being said, this isn't a strong year for NTs in Free Agency or the draft, so unless we trade, I don't think that that's a fixable problem right now and we'll have to just work around it.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Quote:

I agree about the NT issue. If we had a better pass rusher there, and that would make the entire defense better. That being said, this isn't a strong year for NTs in Free Agency or the draft, so unless we trade, I don't think that that's a fixable problem right now and we'll have to just work around it.
Okeye could be a good 2nd round project. For a team with really no glaring weakness, like the Cowboys look at the moment, Okeye in the 2nd could be a nice pickup. He's only 19, room to grow, and if BP can coach him up, he'll have potential to be a NT for the future.

Im not saying he's the answer, but he's worth a try.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Okeye could be a good 2nd round project. For a team with really no glaring weakness, like the Cowboys look at the moment, Okeye in the 2nd could be a nice pickup. He's only 19, room to grow, and if BP can coach him up, he'll have potential to be a NT for the future.

I would be a fan of us getting him, but we also have bigger needs in round two depending on where we go in the 1st. I'm just not sure if we'd be able to pick him there with all the neeeds we have.

BoneKrusher
Old 12-04-2006, 05:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would be a fan of us getting him, but we also have bigger needs in round two depending on where we go in the 1st. I'm just not sure if we'd be able to pick him there with all the neeeds we have.
You guys need oline naturally. I think Blaylock is out of reach at this point, his stock is soaring and alot of teams have the same concerns, so he'll be gone before you get the chance to nab him.

The next best crop of OGs are similar grade, and you can nab one of them in the 3rd, leaving the 2nd round open to an Okeye I think. Ive been very big on Manuel Ramirez, and he looks like he's a 3rd rounder at this moment. If you go LT in round 1, Okeye in round 2, and Ramirez in Round 3, I think that would be a very productive 1st 3 rounds.

Your other concern is FS I would assume. This can be had in later rounds as well, remember, this is a very good Safety class. Nelson, Landry, Griffin, and Merriweather are all going to be good players, and one of them will fall in this draft. Im predicting it will be Merriweather, and he'd be worth trading down for in let's say the 3rd round, even if you have to give up a 4th and a 5th for him.

1. LT
2. Okeye
3. Manuel Ramirez
3. Brandon Merriweather
4. Gone
5. Maybe Gone

I think you'd settle for that, that would be very productive in my eyes.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You guys need oline naturally. I think Blaylock is out of reach at this point, his stock is soaring and alot of teams have the same concerns, so he'll be gone before you get the chance to nab him.

The next best crop of OGs are similar grade, and you can nab one of them in the 3rd, leaving the 2nd round open to an Okeye I think. Ive been very big on Manuel Ramirez, and he looks like he's a 3rd rounder at this moment. If you go LT in round 1, Okeye in round 2, and Ramirez in Round 3, I think that would be a very productive 1st 3 rounds.

Your other concern is FS I would assume. This can be had in later rounds as well, remember, this is a very good Safety class. Nelson, Landry, Griffin, and Merriweather are all going to be good players, and one of them will fall in this draft. Im predicting it will be Merriweather, and he'd be worth trading down for in let's say the 3rd round, even if you have to give up a 4th and a 5th for him.

1. LT
2. Okeye
3. Manuel Ramirez
3. Brandon Merriweather
4. Gone
5. Maybe Gone

I don't know if go free safety. If we do, I think it will be early. I like the idea of going heavy on both sides of the line early.

Albert Camus
Old 12-04-2006, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. LT
2. Okeye
3. Manuel Ramirez
3. Brandon Merriweather
4. Gone
5. Maybe Gone

I really see WR as a bigger need than LT right now. BP really likes McQuistan, and Flo is playing alright so far, nothing great, but he's not playing terrible either. So, actually I could see that happening. Mine would be

1.WR
2.Okoye
3.Ramirez
3.Merriweather

BoneKrusher
Old 12-04-2006, 05:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

* bent over waiting for spanking *
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:

Albert Camus
Old 12-04-2006, 06:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
Quote:
Quote:

Forgot to mention this before, but theres no need to mock other posters DMWSackMachine, they got their opinions, you got yours. I know you didn't mean it in that fashion, but you gotta be careful, words on a screen don't necessarily come out the way you want them to be interpretted.

To comment on the statement that sparked the comments, I agree with DMWSackmachine on this one. I think he played well most of the game. Outside of the TD catch, he held Burress in check with not much help from the pass rush. And that TD was near impossible to defend, the ball was spot on and Burress is too strong to not get it.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Actually, about Okoye, I've heard he's down to 290, so he might be better in a Tampa 2 rather than the 3-4. That's no good...

BoneKrusher
Old 12-04-2006, 07:39 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott is at it again. I don't know what he's got against Colombo, but he ain't letting it go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright
I get a lot of questions and comments via e-mail and the message boards but one thing that constantly amazes me is the high opinion that Dallas Cowboy fans have of offensive tackle Marc Colombo. A former first round pick of the Chicago Bears who was derailed by injuries early in his career, Colombo was essentially picked up off the street by Dallas and somehow ended up starting at right tackle for them, based more on a lack of other options than his talent. There is no doubt that Colombo has played above expectations this season but that really isn't saying much because it was a bit of a surprise that he even made an NFL roster. Still, any team that has Marc Colombo starting for them is in serious trouble and the fact that Cowboy fans say he has been their best offensive lineman at times speaks volumes about the state of that group. In fact, I have had more than one pro scout tell me that they are shocked Colombo is even in the league let alone starting. That might be a little extreme but the bottom line is that he isn't nearly as good as the countless legions of Dallas fanatics would try and lead you to believe.

Even if you do accept the premise that Colombo is a capable starter in the league, which I do not, offensive tackle is still a major concern for the Cowboys because Flozell Adams is merely a shell of his former self. One way or another the team is going to have to make upgrades to the o-line next offseason but don't let the Dallas die-hards sell you on Colombo being a stud and the long-term answer at right tackle because that just simply is not and won't ever be the case.

I hate to say it, but I think he made up the part I bolded. That's just a ridiculous statement. The bottom line is this: Colombo has given up a very limited amount of sacks this season. I think the total is now at 3 or 4 (and the one that Kiwi got was not a sack, and even if it was you can't blame Colombo for it, Romo scrambled right into the defender after he was blocked for the entire play).

The best answer to all his criticism will come in the off-season. When Colombo is handed a nice, big contract in the 2-4mil per year range, than we will see what Scott has to say. You don't face guys like Strahan, Peppers, Mathis, and Darren Howard and hold your own unless you are a pretty solid player. It just doesn't happen. I wonder what he has up his a$$ on this one.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

Just to add a bit to that, Bill Parcells doesn't blow sunshine up people's arses. When Pettiti was over there stinking up the joint, he wasn't telling us that he was the next Eric Williams, and when Vollers, Ryan Young, Torrin Tucker et al were doing their thing, he was deadly honest. So the only other option would be that Bill Parcells is full of sh*t and Scott Wright the Great and his "anonymous sources" know better than he does. Call me funny, but I'll trust the guy with the hardware.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware