Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:05 PM    (permalink

Default Eli Manning is the Next John Elway...

-Eli Manning and John Elway were both the #1 pick in the draft. They were both traded for the 4th player chosen in the draft along with other players and picks.

-Eli Manning and John Elway were both drafted by teams that they never played for, and demanded a trade.

-both Eli and Elway were Hiesman finalists, but didn't receive the award

-Eli and Elway were both drafted first in drafts rich in the Quarterback position (Marino and Jim Kelly, Phil Rivers and Big Ben)

- their stats through 3 seasons are almost identical. Just take a look

Elway

1983 123/259 47.4% 1,663 yards 7 TDs 14 INTs
1984 214/380 56.3% 2,598 yards 18 TDs 15 INTs
1985 327/605 54.0% 3,891 yards 22 TDs 23 INTs

Eli

2004 95/197 48.2% 1043 yards 6 TDs 9 INTs
2005 294/557 52.8 3762 yards 24 TDs 17 INTs
2006 314/530 59.0% 3486 yards 25.3 TDs 20 INTs

I projected Eli's last 4 games of 2006.

- Eli looks a lot like Elway with his fourth quarter heroics.

Peyton Manning may be the next Dan Marino, but Eli is the next John Elway, who has the rings.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:08 PM    (permalink

Actually I expect Peyton to have an elway-esque end to his career.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Stop.

I hate these....Guy A is the next Guy B.

You can be optimistic about Eli's rough stretches by showing examples from the careers of guys like Elway and Brees, but ugh I can't stand the comparisons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually noticed this trend early this year/late last year, but I didn't dare bring it up, because well...how can you compare Eli to Elway? He's a long way from that, he's on the same pace, but if he can be Elway, Id be estatic.

But you can't call him Elway, thats just way too speculative. I hope he can become Elway, but until he does, we can't say anything.

Oh man, Im just waiting for all the Eli haters to come in here and just BASH him. Its funny how he had a good game and all the Rivers/Eli/Ben threads and Manning sucks threads have taken a back seat, but if he comes out and has another poor game, you better believe theyll pop right back up.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:20 PM    (permalink

Also notice how Phil Rivers and Big Ben havent been playing that great these last 2 weeks.

But what got me thinking this was the 4th quarter heroics. Then I realized that there are so many similarity's between the 2. It was before my time but I would guess if there was ESPN, the internet, and Sports radio they would have treated Elway exactly like Eli.

I personally think Eli is destined for greatness, and while he might not put up the stats that Peyton has, he has that special something in him that will win us a superbowl and perform in the clutch.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Giants10
Also notice how Phil Rivers and Big Ben havent been playing that great these last 2 weeks.

But what got me thinking this was the 4th quarter heroics. Then I realized that there are so many similarity's between the 2. It was before my time but I would guess if there was ESPN, the internet, and Sports radio they would have treated Elway exactly like Eli.

I personally think Eli is destined for greatness, and while he might not put up the stats that Peyton has, he has that special something in him that will win us a superbowl and perform in the clutch.
Before you get all of us Giants fans in a whole bunch of flamage, I suggest you take these opinions to the Team discussion, because trust me, this is gonna get REAL UGLY in about 10 minutes.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:27 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Campbell is the next Joe Montana they both threw TD's in their first games.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone ever see Elways Superbowl stats?

They were just as bad as Bens I think 3 of the 5ish times he went.
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettosermon
Jason Campbell is the next Joe Montana they both threw TD's in their first games.
I guarantee that by June, most of you guys will actually believe that.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 12-07-2006, 03:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10
Quote:
QFT

Don't forget to throw in how they will boast about their FA moves and how this year is the year, etc. And how the media will eat it up and call them a SB favorite again.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Kurve
Veteran

Kurve hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Kurve hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really hope Eli does well in his career but one thing that kind bothers me with eli is that he never shows emotion like his brother he sometimes plays as if he has no care if he throws a td or int.
Kurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurve
I really hope Eli does well in his career but one thing that kind bothers me with eli is that he never shows emotion like his brother he sometimes plays as if he has no care if he throws a td or int.
He's starting to get more into it I noticed. I also noticed he's taking a more active role in being the offensive leader. I think once Tiki retires, Eli will be free to take on the leadership role but for now has to take a back seat to Tiki.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
He's starting to get more into it I noticed. I also noticed he's taking a more active role in being the offensive leader. I think once Tiki retires, Eli will be free to take on the leadership role but for now has to take a back seat to Tiki.
I saw the most emotion ever from Eli this past weekend against Dallas when they went for the 4th and 1. You could see Eli was screaming to the sideline we're going for it. It was good to see. Of course Jacobs ended up screwing it up and we didn't convert.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:
Quote:
I saw the most emotion ever from Eli this past weekend against Dallas when they went for the 4th and 1. You could see Eli was screaming to the sideline we're going for it. It was good to see. Of course Jacobs ended up screwing it up and we didn't convert.
Wasn't it the most half-assed "we're going for it" you ever seen? Lol, when I saw it I was like damn, thats the most emotion out of Eli Ive ever seen, and I get more excited than that when I drink water.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There will never be another John Elway he was one of a kind even if it kills me to say it.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

:roll:

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:01 PM    (permalink
2drama
Veteran

2drama could make a wolverine purr.2drama could make a wolverine purr.2drama could make a wolverine purr.2drama could make a wolverine purr.2drama could make a wolverine purr.2drama could make a wolverine purr.2drama could make a wolverine purr.2drama could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Eli Manning is the Next John Elway...
And i am high on W-$-$-D
2drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:12 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is somewhat ridiculous, the only player in that Giants/Cowboys game who reminded of Elway was Romo. But I suppose we should all congratulate Eli for not throwing any interceptions this week.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default Re: Eli Manning is the Next John Elway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Giants10
-Eli Manning and John Elway were both the #1 pick in the draft. They were both traded for the 4th player chosen in the draft along with other players and picks.

-Eli Manning and John Elway were both drafted by teams that they never played for, and demanded a trade.

-both Eli and Elway were Hiesman finalists, but didn't receive the award

-Eli and Elway were both drafted first in drafts rich in the Quarterback position (Marino and Jim Kelly, Phil Rivers and Big Ben)

- their stats through 3 seasons are almost identical. Just take a look

Elway

1983 123/259 47.4% 1,663 yards 7 TDs 14 INTs
1984 214/380 56.3% 2,598 yards 18 TDs 15 INTs
1985 327/605 54.0% 3,891 yards 22 TDs 23 INTs

Eli

2004 95/197 48.2% 1043 yards 6 TDs 9 INTs
2005 294/557 52.8 3762 yards 24 TDs 17 INTs
2006 314/530 59.0% 3486 yards 25.3 TDs 20 INTs

I projected Eli's last 4 games of 2006.

- Eli looks a lot like Elway with his fourth quarter heroics.

Peyton Manning may be the next Dan Marino, but Eli is the next John Elway, who has the rings.
It's posts like this that get you fangirls flamed. And you deserve to be flamed big time.

Eli will never have Elways mobility and elisiveness. That can't be taught. Wait until Eli scores his first points in the playoffs before going on about how he is the next Elway.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:49 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. Good thing you posted this. Before I thought Eli sucked, but now I see that he's the next John Elway.

Thanks.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Damn, just when us Giants fans thought it was safe, out comes a thread like this, and we all take the heat for it.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:56 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QFT

Don't forget to throw in how they will boast about their FA moves and how this year is the year, etc. And how the media will eat it up and call them a SB favorite again.
I love how Giants fans call out other teams like the skins for saying Homeristic things. You are basing all of your Redskins statements on ST21, while no one calls out the fool who started this thread for calling Eli the next Elway.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QFT

I love how Giants fans call out other teams like the skins for saying Homeristic things. You are basing all of your Redskins statements on ST21, while no one calls out the fool who started this thread for calling Eli the next Elway.
The vast majority of Redskins fans were out of control last offseason.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 12-07-2006, 05:03 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember one of the Skins fans during the summer started a thread that said "BLEDSOE OUT FOR SEASON!!!" and then his post was "oops nvm". And everyone flamed him. But as it turns out, I'm sure Cowboy fans wish iit was true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QFT

No, most of your buddies agreed with ST21. You were the only level headed one of the group. I hate for you to have to be associated with homerism because it doesn't reflect your posts, but don't blame us, blame your buddies, most of them were out of control this offseason.