Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 12-07-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Scar's offseason plan (12-7-2007) (warning very very long)

our current roster including practice squad is 76 people:
QB Joey Harrington
QB Byron Leftwich
QB Chris Redman
QB D.J. Shockley
QB Michael Vick
RB Warrick Dunn
RB Jerious Norwood
RB Artose Pinner
RB Jason Snelling
FB Corey McIntyre
FB Ovie Mughelli
WR Jamin Elliott
WR Joe Horn
WR Brian Finneran
WR Michael Jenkins
WR Adam Jennings
WR Laurent Robinson
WR Todd Watkins
WR Eric Weems
WR Roddy White
TE Courtney Anderson
TE Dwayne Blakely
TE George Cooper
TE Alge Crumpler
TE Martrez Milner
OT Tyson Clabo
OT Harvey Dahl
OT Renardo Foster
OT Wayne Gandy
OT Quinn Ojinnaka
OT Terrance Pennington
OT Todd Weiner
OG D'Anthony Batiste
OG Justin Blalock
OG Kynan Forney
OG Travis Leffew
OG Kurt Quarterman
OC Doug Datish
OC Todd McClure
OC Ben Wilkerson
DE John Abraham
DE Jamaal Anderson
DE Chauncey Davis
DE Kevin Huntley
DE Derrick Jones
DT Tim Anderson
DT Jonathan Babineaux
DT Rod Coleman
DT Trey Lewis
DT Jesse Mahelona
DT David Patterson
DT Montavious Stanley
LB Michael Boley
LB Keith Brooking
LB Earl Everett
LB Stephen Nicholas
LB Tony Taylor
LB Marcus Wilkins
LB Demorrio Williams
LB Travis Williams
CB Brent Grimes
CB DeAngelo Hall
CB Chris Houston
CB David Irons
CB Lewis Sanders
S Chris Crocker
S Antoine Harris
S Omare Lowe
S Lawyer Milloy
S Daren Stone
S Jimmy Williams
K Morten Anderson
P Michael Koenen
LS Mike Schneck

alright, who we should cut/let walk is this:
QB Joey Harrington
QB Byron Leftwich
QB Michael Vick
RB Warrick Dunn
RB Artose Pinner
WR Jamin Elliott
WR Todd Watkins
WR Eric Weems
TE Dwayne Blakely
TE George Cooper
OT Harvey Dahl
OT Quinn Ojinnaka
OT Terrance Pennington
OT Todd Weiner
OG Kynan Forney
OG Travis Leffew
OG Kurt Quarterman
OC Ben Wilkerson
DE Kevin Huntley
DE Derrick Jones
DT Tim Anderson
DT Jesse Mahelona
DT David Patterson
DT Montavious Stanley
LB Earl Everett
LB Demorrio Williams
LB Travis Williams
CB Brent Grimes
CB Lewis Sanders
S Antoine Harris
S Omare Lowe

expected retirees:
WR Brian Finneran
OT Wayne Gandy
S Lawyer Milloy
K Morten Anderson

Re-sign to better/longer contracts:
QB Chris Redman
QB D.J. Shockley
RB Jerious Norwood
WR Michael Jenkins
WR Roddy White
CB DeAngelo Hall
S Chris Crocker

Which makes our depth chart before the draft/FA look like this:
QB Chris Redman/D.J. Shockley
RB Jerious Norwood/Jason Snelling
FB Ovie Mughelli/Corey McIntyre
WR Roddy White/Joe Horn
WR Laurent Robinson/Michael Jenkins/Adam Jennings
TE Alge Crumpler/Martrez Milner/Courtney Anderson
LT Renardo Foster
LG Justin Blalock
C Todd McClure/Doug Datish
RG D'Anthony Batiste
RT Tyson Clabo

RE John Abraham
LE Jamaal Anderson/Chauncey Davis
UT Rod Coleman/Jonathan Babineaux
NT Trey Lewis
WLB Keith Brooking/Stephen Nicholas
MLB Tony Taylor
SLB Michael Boley/Marcus Wilkins
LCB DeAngelo Hall/David Irons
RCB Chris Houston
SS Chris Crocker/Daren Stone
FS Jimmy Williams

K
P Michael Koenen
LS Mike Schneck
KR Jerious Norwood
PR

so, after looking at this roster the main needs are:
Starting QB, both starting OT spots, starting RG, starting MLB, starting NT
starting K, Depth at CB, DE, FS, and all OL, as well as a possible power back.

summary so far
so basically that's a solid group of players, but we coudl use some talent. with the money we will be getting from Vick and the cuts/retirees, we should be good players in the FA market. Who I would get:
RB Musa Smith - has power when he runs, but would also be a throwback for some old school UGA fans. has the ability to break tackles and hasn't taken much wear and tear as a pro because he has been behind Lewis and now McGahee

WR Andre' Davis - yeah, I know, I'm being a hypocrite right? but trust me on this guy. HE will be a very good #4/KR for us and will allow Norwood to focus on gashign opposing defenses for huge gains.
note, please don't quote this whole post as it is way too long.

OT Nat Dorsey - is a solid backup at the RT spot for the Browns. would provide good depth for us at the RT spot and would allow us to move Clabo back to his more natural RG spot as the starter.

NT Corey Williams - my last FA is this beast from Green Bay. While he is more of a run stuffer, he can get after the QB (proven by his 7 sacks) he will collapse the pocket from the inside and help stuff the run with Coleman/Babs/Lewis while Abe and Jam jr. pressure from the outside. and has the size to take some blockers at 6'4" 313

this FA will fill the holes of some of the OL depth, the KR, starting NT and the power RB as well as giving us a solid starting RG for the scheme.

my draft, in which I believe we will be picking either #2 overall:
TRADE
1st round (#2) overall for 1st round (#6 overall (Oakland)) and their 2nd round pick (#37 overall) so that they can get McFadden and we can get another impact player as well as taking someone who slips just a bit.

thanks to NFLspot.com for the sigs used in the pictures for each guy

1st round pick (#6):
QB - Brian Brohm - 6'4" 220 - Louisville
knows the system, and has the size as well as instincts to be a great QB for us. at #6 is in his value range and with the 3 2nd round picks we can get him some protection on the OL.

2nd round picks (#33, #37, #44):
OT - Ryan Clady - 6'6" 317 - Boise State
Will be that RT we need to power run on the right side. Will allow us to use Dorsey as a backup. But Clady is also a beast in the pass pro game as well and could possibly play LT.

OT - Michael Oher - 6'6" 322 -Ole Miss
A King LT for the Rebels, Oher is one of the tops in the SEC and reminds me of another SEC OT named Marcus McNeill. He is a man beast and is a force in the run game but is also that body guard that any QB would love on his backside.

NT - Red Bryant - 6'5" 324 - Texas A&M
more of a luxury pick than anything else. took the BPA expected here in NT Red Bryant. This will be a great thing for our run defense however in that we now have 2 beasts at NT and a very solid player even at the 3rd spot in Trey Lewis. We possibly even have the personnel to give some 3-4 looks with Bryant now being selected.

3rd round pick (#65):
MLB - Brandon Miller - 6'4" 257 - Georgia
has the abilities to be a great one in the middle at the pro level. has great size and will be a force against the run and will be bale to start right away and allow Brooking to move back to his more natural Will LB spot.

4th round picks (#97, Comp for Kerney)
OG - Shannon Tevaga - 6'3'" 324 - UCLA
Mammoth of an OG. a very good run block, but only solid at pass blocking. Will be a good impact guy as a backup at worst at both OG spots and could possibly beat out Clabo for the RG spot by mid-season.

FS - Quentin Demps - 6'1" 205 - UTEP
good cover man at FS. will be good depth behind Jimmy but has the talent to possibly beat out Jimmy. Jimmy hates doing ST but as the starting FS the first few games did a good job. Demps will be a good backup to him and ST player.

5th round picks (#129, #155 (from Pitt for Rossum))
K - Jeremy Ito - 5'11" 190 - Rutgers
A Clutch kicker with a good leg. has the ability to hit from 50+ but is very consistent inside 45.

S/OLB - Wesley Woodyard - 6'1" 212 - Kentucky
good depth at both the OLB spots and the SS spot. great for ST.

6th round pick (#161)
CB - Glenn Sharpe - 6'0" 187 - Miami (FL)
Will be a good dime CB and should compete for the Nickel spot with Irons. has the Miami mentality to his play and is a solid cover man.

7th round pick (#193)
DE - Chris Harrington - 6'5" 265 - Texas A&M
We need someone to spell Abraham. This guy is a solid pass rusher but has a non stop motor and can play the run very well. Very much like a poor mans Pat Kerney

final roster after FA and the draft but before final cuts:
QB Brian Brohm/Chris Redman/D.J. Shockley
RB Jerious Norwood/Musa Smith/Jason Snelling
FB Ovie Mughelli/Corey McIntyre
WR Roddy White/Andre' Davis/Joe Horn
WR Laurent Robinson/Michael Jenkins/Adam Jennings
TE Alge Crumpler/Martrez Milner/Courtney Anderson
LT Michael Oher/Renardo Foster
LG Justin Blalock/D'Anthony Batiste
C Todd McClure/Doug Datish
RG Tyson Clabo/Shannon Tevaga
RT Ryan Clady/Nat Dorsey

RE John Abraham/Chris Harrington
LE Jamaal Anderson/Chauncey Davis
UT Rod Coleman/Jonathan Babineaux/Trey Lewis
NT Corey Williams/Red Bryant/Trey Lewis
WLB Keith Brooking/Stephen Nicholas/Wesley Woodyard
MLB Brandon Miller/Tony Taylor
SLB Michael Boley/Marcus Wilkins/Wesley Woodyard
LCB DeAngelo Hall/David Irons
RCB Chris Houston/Glenn Sharpe
SS Chris Crocker/Daren Stone/Wesley Woodyard
FS Jimmy Williams/Quentin Demps

K Jeremy Ito
P Michael Koenen
LS Mike Schneck
KR Andre Davis/Jerious Norwood
PR Andre Davis

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice write up. Its a bit early, so I dont know what to critique and such, but I would be satisfied with that. And, can I use that Brian Brohm sig?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the few uk games ive watched, woodyard has been a monster. reminds me of boley's play this year as he is making plays penetrating the line of scrimmage as well as downfield. i would love to have him.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:22 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clady and Oher would be gone by that point.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:22 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Nice write up. Its a bit early, so I dont know what to critique and such, but I would be satisfied with that. And, can I use that Brian Brohm sig?
um... it's not mine but I'm sure they would let you. haha

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

not a big fan although i give props for the lenghty write up

i dont see Musa Smith as any type of upgrade at RB. We would be better suited to splurge on Michael Turner or draft one who is actually capable of being a good starter along with Norwood.

I dont see any of the two OT's you have given us being there in the 2nd.

#6 IMO is still too high for Brian Brohm IMO.

While i support many of them. There is no way in the world that we loose THAT many players from this year squad. I woudnt want to loose Antione Harris
Old 12-08-2007, 12:00 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I'm not a fan of free agent runningbacks. But that's just me.

Also, I would think Oher and Clady would get a good ranking from the draft committee and if not go back to school. But potential will keep them both in the first round.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

nice read, Brandon Miller can't play MLB though. UGA tried him there before the year but it didn't work out. He was moved to OLB and then to DE.