Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:31 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow, schobel is tied for the league lead in sacks. nice
London Fletcher top 5 dpoy candidate

All Bills aside, Taylor should win it
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee

It didn't wind up in a sack, but did you see this one play?

The commentators go "Dbrick is having his hands full with Schobel" and the very next play, Schobel absolutely slams Dbrick on the floor and goes right at Pennington who threw it away to avoid a sack.

That was crazy...he destroyed Dbrick yesterday.

And Im starting to turn the corner on Schobel...he's been very good this year and last year.

I mentioned Merriman and not Schobel because Merriman did it with 4 less games, and as a Rushbacker.

And yes, Fletcher is like Zach Thomas...no love for a great player.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
Yes. Steroid rumors didn't keep Bonds from winning seven MVP's. It isn't a man of the year award. The question is, is he worthy of the DPOY award and the answer is plainly yes. That so many people voted no is just biased and stupid. Get over yourselves.
I say no (although I didn't vote) because I don't think he deserves it, it has nothing to do with steroids. If you miss 1/4th of the season, I don't care how well you play the other 12, you don't deserve it, I don't care if it's because you're on crack or your hurt your foot bowling.

Plus, he's not the leader of his team, and he's at least partially responsible for one the Chargers only two losses this year (trying to decapitate Todd Heap at the 2 yard line rather than simply tackling him).

Merriman is a tremendous player, and likely will win the award sometime in his career, but not this year.
No offense, but I think that is a ridiculously dumb qualifier that a player must play in all of his team's games to win a major award. He's played in enough games to tie for the league lead in sacks. I don't know what else the guy needs to do.

To clarify, the topic said is Shawne Merriman worthy of DPOY and that is yes. Should he win it is up for debate, but he should without a doubt be in the mix. Anything less is biased nonsense.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense

The commentators go "Dbrick is having his hands full with Schobel" and the very next play, Schobel absolutely slams Dbrick on the floor and goes right at Pennington who threw it away to avoid a sack.

Yeah I flipped over and saw that play. It lends some credence to the concern some had over D'Brick before the draft, his lean build leaving him vunerable to power rushes.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. Steroid rumors didn't keep Bonds from winning seven MVP's. It isn't a man of the year award. The question is, is he worthy of the DPOY award and the answer is plainly yes. That so many people voted no is just biased and stupid. Get over yourselves.
I say no (although I didn't vote) because I don't think he deserves it, it has nothing to do with steroids. If you miss 1/4th of the season, I don't care how well you play the other 12, you don't deserve it, I don't care if it's because you're on crack or your hurt your foot bowling.

Plus, he's not the leader of his team, and he's at least partially responsible for one the Chargers only two losses this year (trying to decapitate Todd Heap at the 2 yard line rather than simply tackling him).

Merriman is a tremendous player, and likely will win the award sometime in his career, but not this year.
No offense, but I think that is a ridiculously dumb qualifier that a player must play in all of his team's games to win a major award. He's played in enough games to tie for the league lead in sacks. I don't know what else the guy needs to do.

To clarify, the topic said is Shawne Merriman worthy of DPOY and that is yes. Should he win it is up for debate, but he should without a doubt be in the mix. Anything less is biased nonsense.
I can't see somebody who was suspended for violating the substance abuse policy winning the DPOY award. It just won't happen.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:42 PM    (permalink

His season would be worthy of it if Jason Taylor wasn't so amazing. He is a bit overrated by the media IMO however. I heard a guy on the radio this morning saying he was going to be better than Lawrence Taylor. A little too early to be calling him the greatest defensive player of all time.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:48 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee

And Im starting to turn the corner on Schobel...he's been very good this year and last year.

I mentioned Merriman and not Schobel because Merriman did it with 4 less games, and as a Rushbacker.

And yes, Fletcher is like Zach Thomas...no love for a great player.
I only brought up Schobel because I just saw the stat and it seemed relevant, but yeah he had an amazing game yesterday.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:50 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can't see somebody who was suspended for violating the substance abuse policy winning the DPOY award. It just won't happen.
If that is the only thing keeping him from winning it, the award itself is a farce. It's not a man of the year award.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:03 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Ace
Veteran

Ace needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen
Just keep in mind that if he doesn't get it, whoever does get it will essentially be a poser unless their name is Urlacher. No defensive player has been more dominant on the field than Shawne this year, and the numbers don't even tell the whole story. He's forced interceptions, ruined countless plays with his constant pressure, and to boot nobody runs on him.

That said, he won't get it. No dice. 4 game suspension.

Seriously watch this guy fly around it's insane. He had a flying leap from like twenty feet away to club somebody Igor had already mostly taken down.
Your a ******* homer too. JT has had a much better year then him.

JT- 11.5 sacks, 8 force fumbles, and two int's both return for a td. And keep in mind that JT has been consistantly putting pressure on the QB's and plus, he didn't cheat.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:04 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would just like to point out JT has twice as many FF, twice as many INTs, and nearly twice as many PDs, and he has more tackles and Merriman only has 1 more sack. Even if Merriman missed 4 games with injury he hasn't had as good of a year as Taylor and the steroids are irrelevant. Add in the roids and I see no possibilty of Merriman gettin it.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:05 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Streriod rumors vs. actually getting caught. There is a huge difference. Shawne Merriman was actually caught using performance enhancing drugs--tainting the game. He does not now, nor does he ever deserve any award.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to the 'once caught he never deserves an award' argument, Julius Peppers should never win it either. Ephedra is banned acrossed the board by pro sports, it's noted for being a stimulant similar to adrenaline. And looking at his body, can anyone honestly say that a 6'6" 280-lbs, 4.7, 40-inch guy is like that naturally? He no doubt is on HGH, which is something a likely shocking amount of football players are on.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:18 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular
Quote:
Streriod rumors vs. actually getting caught. There is a huge difference. Shawne Merriman was actually caught using performance enhancing drugs--tainting the game. He does not now, nor does he ever deserve any award.
Then let me clarify. Bonds admitted steroid usage to a grand jury. Therefore, no difference. To say that Merriman does not ever deserve an award is laughable. As long as he's allowed to play in the NFL he is deserving of any award that his performance warrants. The level of self righteousness in your post is amazing.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:19 PM    (permalink
eazyb81
All-Pro

eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
According to the 'once caught he never deserves an award' argument, Julius Peppers should never win it either. Ephedra is banned acrossed the board by pro sports, it's noted for being a stimulant similar to adrenaline. And looking at his body, can anyone honestly say that a 6'6" 280-lbs, 4.7, 40-inch guy is like that naturally? He no doubt is on HGH, which is something a likely shocking amount of football players are on.
LOL, ephedra is hardly comparable to anabolic steroids.

Any player in the NFL COULD have used HGH, but this isn't a witch hunt. Merriman actually got caught with steroids, we don't have to guess with him.

He is 100%, without a doubt, a cheater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown

If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS
eazyb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Ephedra is a worth the same four game suspension as Nandrolone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra

Quote:
Ephedra is both a stimulant (similar to adrenaline) and a thermogenic. It stimulates the brain, increases heart rate, constricts blood vessels (increasing blood pressure), and expands bronchial tubes (making breathing easier). Its thermogenic properties cause an increase in metabolism, evidenced by an increase in body heat.
Oft-mocked Todd Sauerbrun's suspension was because of Ephedra. If using any performance enhancer is 'cheating' then it should have a broad definition to any and every performance supplement.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:39 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And he was suspended for what? Oh yea, steroids. I don't think so. JT gets my vote right now.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:46 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

i doubt he wins it because of the steroids, but he is arguably the most dominant defensive player in the league....
Old 12-11-2006, 04:48 PM    (permalink
eazyb81
All-Pro

eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver
Ephedra is a worth the same four game suspension as Nandrolone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra

Quote:
Ephedra is both a stimulant (similar to adrenaline) and a thermogenic. It stimulates the brain, increases heart rate, constricts blood vessels (increasing blood pressure), and expands bronchial tubes (making breathing easier). Its thermogenic properties cause an increase in metabolism, evidenced by an increase in body heat.
Oft-mocked Todd Sauerbrun's suspension was because of Ephedra. If using any performance enhancer is 'cheating' then it should have a broad definition to any and every performance supplement.
Never said they didn't earn the same suspension, just that they aren't comparable when we're discussing Merriman's situation.

You can't paint this situation with a broad brush. A suspension from ephedra isn't nearly as concerning as being caught using anabolic steroids, which is a blatant attempt to circumvent the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown

If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS
eazyb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is a great defender and is having a great year but with the suspension I don't think he'll get it. It will probably go to a guy like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Champ Bailey or Brian Urlacher.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:31 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Then let me clarify. Bonds admitted steroid usage to a grand jury. Therefore, no difference. To say that Merriman does not ever deserve an award is laughable. As long as he's allowed to play in the NFL he is deserving of any award that his performance warrants. The level of self righteousness in your post is amazing.
Well, perhaps he shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:42 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can we disband the Raiders while we're at it, having employed Lyle Alzado and Bill Romanowski?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:02 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As a Broncos fan, I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:15 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can we disband the Raiders while we're at it, having employed Lyle Alzado and Bill Romanowski?
Did I say we were going to disband the Chargers? No. I said maybe Merriman should not be allowed to play in the NFL.

I think the punishment for using steroids, first time, should be at least 1 full year. A second offense at any point during the rest of the player's career would be a lifetime ban.

Yes, Romo used steroids. Yes, Alzado used steroids. (although I don't know if they were illegal at the point) So did Barrett Robbins and Chris Cooper. I'm glad that all of them are gone from the Raiders. I find it incredibly disgusting when people try to illegally cut corners to make themselves better. When people artificially raise the level of the playing field. It's despicable to me. Shawne Merriman knew EXACTLY what he was doing as he was taking the steroids. There is absolutely no excuse. All he receives is a 4 game suspension? PLEASE!

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:09 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

i couldn't really care less, although i think taylor is more deserving, but his stats from yesterday shouldn't be a big exclamation point on his year as he was abusing the equivalent of a high school left tackle.

my vote would be no on him if i had a gun to my head, but then, i think san diego fans are only defending him because he's on san diego. had peyton manning been caught with steroids, i'm sure they'd be jumping all over themselves to agree that it should disqualify him from contending with LT for the award.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote