Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-02-2008, 09:02 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Honestly how far away are the Falcons

from being a competitive team? I submit that we aren't as far as it may seem.

I posted in the other post that our offensive line could be very good with really only 2 changes and no money spent in FA (although I wouldn't mind bringing a guy in) Losing out on McFadden may end up being the best thing for this franchise, having someone trade up above us, or trading up with us to get him. As long as we can get a guy like Ryan Clady or Jake Long I'll be happy. Imagine the line being solidified by one of those 2 guys plus our current depth.

Weiner --- Blalock --- Datish --- Clabo --- Long / Clady

Then eventually becoming

Long / Clady --- Blalock --- Datish --- Clabo/upgrade --- Rookie (ex. Chris Williams / Phil Loadholt / Sam Baker) Someone has to fall to the 2nd round don't they?

So if our draft went like this...

1.) Jake Long
2a.) Top RB (Reshard Mendenhall / Jonathan Stewart / Jamaal (whatever his name is from Texas)
2b.) Chris Williams / Barry Richardson / Phil Loadholt
3.) Marcus Griffin - S - Texas
4.) Vince Hall - MLB - Virginia Tech
5.) Kellen Davis - TE - Michigan State

I think we'd be looking pretty good at that...honestly...

But honestly then how far away are we from becoming a good team. I know that list doesn't include a QB...but I'd like to get our foundation put together and there's no telling what may happen in FA...if at the top of round 2 there is a guy there like Woodson or Brohm for some reason, then maybe take a QB this year.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we need a kicker. if we are gonna be the competitive team we all want, there are gonna be some close games that will need long FGs. i loved nick folk for the cowboys. great value in teh 6th.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If they get the right HC and the right kind of QB I think two years, if not then it will be a while. This off-season will determine the future of this team.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:06 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

the team is far away because they have to go backwards before they go forward... for example D-hall creating problems..

sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

This offseason is about as big as it comes. New GM, new HC, new QB, new LT. If we get it all right, we could be back contending in 2009.

If we get McKenzie or Heckert for GM
A good, disciplined HC
And luck out in the draft, picking up Long in the 1st and Woodson in the 2nd
Then, I could see us being pretty good in 2009, and even better in 2010.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average OT LB View Post
the team is far away because they have to go backwards before they go forward... for example D-hall creating problems..
Unless you're in the locker room you are caught up in the media hype that Hall is causing problems. The fact of the matter is the players love him and he's a firey competitor. He's not going anywhere and he's not causing problems.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Falcons fate starts and ends with a QB. It isnt necessarily a position they need to address in the first but theres no question by the second round Falcons fans should already know their QB of the future. I wouldnt rely on FA or another short-term option because that wont put this situation to bed and the same questions will creep up again next offseason.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This offseason is huge. We need to get the right coach in here, and we need to do things like be active in Free Agency.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can not see Mendenhall or Stewart being available at the top of the second round and Jamaal Charles is another speed back. We do not need another speed back.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so if james davis is there with our 2b pick, do we grab him or who else would we possibly take? assuming we already nabbed our QB and tackle.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would ay Tashard Choice, Mike Hart, Ray Rice, and James Davis are the best fits for our second round pick.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:23 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

There are too many running backs for guys like Choice Hart and Rice to go in round 2...Davis as well...I'm thinking all of those are 3rd - 4th - 5th round guys.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
There are too many running backs for guys like Choice Hart and Rice to go in round 2...Davis as well...I'm thinking all of those are 3rd - 4th - 5th round guys.
I'd disagree.

I have no idea how James Davis is not that kind of prospect. He is 5'11 210 with you can't catch him speed. His build is not near filled out and will be a easy 220 by the time he is developed. He also has 3,000 rushing yards splitting carries along with 38 touchdowns.

Ray Rice suffers from being short. He will be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He pass protects with the best of them, catches passes, breaks tackles, and can carry a load. He is 210 at 5'9. As far as scouting the difference between 5'9 and 5'10 seems to be bigger than any other inch. If he was 5'10 215 he would have 'good size', and the scouts know that. His speed or lack there of is overanalyzed. He has big play capability and he will be able to get to the outside at the next level. Maybe not for 50 yards but he can be a consistent inside and outside runner.

I would say many of the same things about Mike Hart, except his speed isn't quite where Rice's is. I doubt he can get outside at the next level, but he, like Rice, pass protects and is a very tough runner. He also doesn't fumble and has all of the intangibles.

Tashard Choice I like a lot. A bit tall but he runs lower than players his height. Probably needs to add some bulk but he doesn't look light or run light. Tough inside runner who has amazing inside vision and has the best pass blocking and pass catching combined ability. Also very productive.

Assuming they all come out (James Davis says he is not)...

Player---------Round
James Davis---1-2
Ray Rice-------2
Mike Hart------2-3
Tashard Choice-2-3

If I was forced to pick an exact round I would go 2, 2, 3, 2.

I would say 5 backs go above them (except Davis); being McFadden, Mendenhall, Stewart, Johnson, Charles. Very deep class for runningbacks and that's fine because a ton of teams could use runningbacks, starters or backups who offer something different.

We would have to trade up for any of the big 3, and Charles and Johnson do not fit what we need.

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 01-04-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:42 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

my rb list:

1) stewart
2) mendenhall
3) davis
4) choice
5) hart

one of those will be there in teh third and we better nab one of them.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Kerry Collings and J.P. Losman are two interesting QB's that I would consider next year.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:24 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I actually like the kid from ECU...he runs strong. Obviously Stewart is a great back so he's not going to stick around, but you've got 10 runningbacks going in 2 rounds...I'd be shocked.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:56 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Considering that a couple of unexpected players are entering (Felix Jones and James Davis), I would now push Ray Rice to round 3. But James Davis I will stick with. But I would be very happy with Ray Rice in round 3.

Best Backs Value (for us)...

Round 1- Rashard Mendenhall, RB Illinois
Round 2- James Davis, RB Clemson
Round 3- Ray Rice

Johnson has not proven he can carry the load and while he runs hard he has a slight build like Norwood. Norwood also runs hard but his build does not allow his body to hold up.

JMO.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:00 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Rice just went for 280.

Season
13 games
380 carries
2,012 rushing yards
5.3 yards per carry
24 receptions
232 receiving yards
25 total touchdowns

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 01-05-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:39 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

He's impressive, but I don't think that it really matters...its what can he do in the pros, I don't think he'll be a back that demands a high round pick...because of the plethora of backs in this draft...to have 10 backs go in the top 3 rounds would mean that 1/3 of the teams in the league saw that they needed a starting runningback. You don't go in the top 3 rounds if you don't figure to get some very heavy rotation.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:13 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Answering the original question...at the moment, we are pretty far. We dont have a legit GM, HC, the chances of our DC and OC leaving are high, no QB, lots of holes in the OL, and some issues with our best player.

This offseason is huge. Monumental.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:25 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
He's impressive, but I don't think that it really matters...its what can he do in the pros, I don't think he'll be a back that demands a high round pick...because of the plethora of backs in this draft...to have 10 backs go in the top 3 rounds would mean that 1/3 of the teams in the league saw that they needed a starting runningback. You don't go in the top 3 rounds if you don't figure to get some very heavy rotation.
A 3rd round runningback is generally a backup. Considering the amount of injuries to runningbacks there will be plenty of need. I would say...(must be declared)

1. Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
2. Rashard Mendenhall, RB Illinois
3. Felix Jones, RB Arkansas
4. Jamal Charles, RB Texas
5. James Davis, RB Clemson
6. Chris Johnson, RB East Carolina
7. Ray Rice, RB Rutgers
8. Tashard Choice, RB Georgia Tech.
9. Mike Hart, RB Michigan
10. Dantrell Savage, RB Oklahoma State

Although Stewart is likely to declare, I could easily see Rice go in round 2 or high in 3. Some teams (Atlanta) do not need runners like Jones, Johnson, or Charles. They need workhorses and players like Rice and Hart offer that.

I can see Hart (and Savage) going later than round 3, but not Rice and Davis. Just my opinion.