Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:18 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl85
I'm highly critical of the fact that we failed to adequately address the FS need this past offseason either in FA or a first day draft pick. We are having many of the same coverage problems at FS and SS for that matter we had last year. I can't help but think, damn we could've signed Chris Hope who has had a really good season with the Titans or drafted Ko Simposn who is apparently playing pretty well for the Bills.
Well Ko went on the 2nd day. And many of us here had us selecting Watkins in the third. So had we picked him in the third would you be as happy since we addressed it on the first day. Watkins had first day talent...we all know that. He just needed a bit a tuning before he's ready for the NFL. He has tons of experience his body just needs some work. And if i'm not mistaken didn't you also want us to sign will demps? We all see how that is working. Its easy to say we should have drafted Ko. But who's to say he would be starting here. Watkins ran faster then him....so looking back at the draft if you had an option for Ko or Watkins...and we needed a centerfielder...you can't tell me you select Ko. Plain and simple.
I probably didn't say it on here but I wanted us to sign Chris Hope who I think was the consensus top FS in FA. I admit I didn't know much about him but after reading Scott's scouting report of him and seeing how highly Scott and other analysts had him ranked I wanted us to draft Ko Simpson. I know hindsight's 20/20 but the fact remains we didn't adeqautely address the position. I don't consider a 5th round pick even if it was considered kind of a steal at the time and Marcus Coleman and resigning Keith Davis adequately addressing the FS need. As for Roy he is what he is and that's never going to change you just have to take the good with the bad. Roy's great against the run and a big hitter but he's never going to be Darren Woodson in terms of coverage so we have to do a better job of getting a ballhawk FS to compliment him and not putting him in too many disadvantageous situations. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't cover 2 which I believe we play occasionally put too much presure on Roy to be really good in coverage?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm highly critical of the fact that we failed to adequately address the FS need this past offseason either in FA or a first day draft pick. We are having many of the same coverage problems at FS and SS for that matter we had last year. I can't help but think, damn we could've signed Chris Hope who has had a really good season with the Titans or drafted Ko Simposn who is apparently playing pretty well for the Bills.
Well Ko went on the 2nd day. And many of us here had us selecting Watkins in the third. So had we picked him in the third would you be as happy since we addressed it on the first day. Watkins had first day talent...we all know that. He just needed a bit a tuning before he's ready for the NFL. He has tons of experience his body just needs some work. And if i'm not mistaken didn't you also want us to sign will demps? We all see how that is working. Its easy to say we should have drafted Ko. But who's to say he would be starting here. Watkins ran faster then him....so looking back at the draft if you had an option for Ko or Watkins...and we needed a centerfielder...you can't tell me you select Ko. Plain and simple.
I probably didn't say it on here but I wanted us to sign Chris Hope who I think was the consensus top FS in FA. I admit I didn't know much about him but after reading Scott's scouting report of him and seeing how highly Scott and other analysts had him ranked I wanted us to draft Ko Simpson. I know hindsight's 20/20 but the fact remains we didn't adeqautely address the position. I don't consider a 5th round pick even if it was considered kind of a steal at the time and Marcus Coleman and resigning Keith Davis adequately addressing the FS need. As for Roy he is what he is and that's never going to change you just have to take the good with the bad. Roy's great against the run and a big hitter but he's never going to be Darren Woodson in terms of coverage so we have to do a better job of getting a ballhawk FS to compliment him and not putting him in too many disadvantageous situations. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't cover 2 which I believe we play occasionally put too much presure on Roy to be really good in coverage?
We don't really play a straight up cover 2. We almost always play two deep with our safeties tho. About 50% of the time our corners will play man to man...the other they play the flats. The reason why Roy and Davis are playing 2 deeps is because of how often we have given up the big play. What I don't understand is why we still are using it. It hasn't really stopped us from giving up the big play. But the reasoning behind leaving our safeties deep is so that we don't give up the big play. Roy has problems when our corners are playing the flats.

So lets say a WR lines up to the left. He runs a quick slant then runs up....now our corner gives him up to the LB...well after the WR feels our CB leave him he runs an up and out....so called flag route. With Roy playing the deep half...he now has to run man for man with this WR...which most of the time he cannot do. Roy could I believe man up on a Te at the line and not get burned...but when he is playing deep in coverage he has to pick an angle...this year he has not been taking good angles...and as a result he has be a second to late to making the play. I really think this problem is solved by playing a robber scheme with our Safeties...but then again we run into the problem. We don't have a center fielder out there...and Davis just doesn't have the speed/instincts to play the deep all by himself. This is where I look for Watkins to be a big help for us next year.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:33 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I made a lot of post saying that we should pick up Hope or draft Danieal Manning, but my second FS in the draft was Watkins. I think he just needs some time to adjust. I don't think anybody really expected him to come in and start right away. After he did so good in training camp everybody forgot what was really expected from him though.

Elam probably threw things off a little too. Had he not done so well Davis and Pile probably both would have been kept. Pile actually wasn't too bad last year. The big plays all seemed to happen when Davis was on the field.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:
Thuley's Week 15 Big Board

My Two Round Big Board

Round One
1- Justin Blalock (won't likely be available...but OG don't go real early)
2- Tank Tyler (Should be available later...has been great all year)
3- Josh Wilson (Maybe a reach now...this kid is Aaron Glenn v2. He has had a great year...is lightning quick. Not only that but his punt return/kick return abilities would really be his strong suite year one.
4- Reggie Nelson (Probabally the best ball skills of all the safety)
5- Hughes (one will be gone by the time we pick)

Dropped
Michael Johnson (this guy is fast could jump to round one post combine)
- He is fast...but going back and watching tape on him I noticed he wasn't someone with great instincts. He seemed to reactive...we need someone with instincts.

Round Two
1- Ryan Kalil (showed in the bowl game he can produce)
2- Tony Ugoh (he could play LT or RT...very balanced blocker)
3- Tom Zbikowski (Couldn't be worse then Davis...contribute right away)
4- Johnnie Lee Higgins (been UTEP's only weapon all year and been dominant)
5- Steve Smith (Smart, polished, nfl ready, quick...I like that combo)

When trying to evaluate our 2nd round needs it gets hard. We don't really have alot of needs. So do you go OG here...when you can find about the same talent on the second day. I mean Grubbs/Sears are two guys I could see in our range...but neither of them really show me anything that so other later prospects do. I mean we need a small quick WR for the future...but would probabally have to have a impact on special teams to make the team. CB class is deep so someone could drop...but you can't assume those things. FS is a need...but would a guy like Welding really be an upgrade? This draft appears as a crap shoot for me. I really won't be surprised to see us trade up. I don't know if Parcells has ever done it this early...but I really love the ties to Ginn. I'm hopeing Glenn is doing some talking to Big Bill. Their similarities are striking. I still think we address our OG position in the offseason. So I really get lost on where we pick with our later picks. There are only 4 players I see as guys who could contribute right away that we have somewhat of a shot at.

1. Ginn
2. Tank
3. Wilson
4. Nelson
Those four guys could do alot for us right away. Any tips or guys to look at would be appriciated.
I know were all in love with Blalock, and believe me I wouldn't mine if we got him, but the OG pool this year is really deep. With Manual Rameirez, Ben Grubbs, Beekman and so forth. Guys who I think we can get in the 2nd round. I would like to see us get athletes on the offensive side of the ball in the first round. Sidney Rice, Ginn, Meachum or maybe Jarrett. But if we do land Blalock, I would be happy with Bowe in the 2nd.

Random question, but what's the stalk talk of Aaron Rouse? Is he a good FS candidate, and where is he projected?
Rouse is more fitted for a SS role. Many actually like him as a WLB...which brings back memories of Thomas Davis to me. So no Rouse would not be a guy we want to bring in as our centerfielder.

I'm with you that OG pool is deep this year. The only reason Blalock is #1 on my list is because he is the best OG in this draft. He can play OT if needed too. He is experienced against to competition..and is the clear cut number 1 OG in this draft. It is simply him....then the others.

Personally I agree with you....the first couple rounds you get athletes. IDC if its on the offensive or defensive side of the ball.

Do you really see Bowe in the 2nd round. Personally I think we are too far back to land him in the 2nd. Maybe if we moved up we would have a shot. I love Rice...but I really don't think he comes out...he could get so much more out of another year in college. I like Mecham but would want to see him in action a few more times. Combine would likely be a big part on judging him for me. I like Jarrett...he is a NJ kid so Parcells has to love that. Once again tho...will he be available. I actually think that he could replace Crayton on this team. I believe Crayton is in a contract year...or maybe its next year...but this pick is actually gaining steam in my book. I still don't know if he is available which is why I left him off my big board.

A guy I really like is Buster Davis outta LSU. We all know parcells loves himself some LSU blood. This guy is a speedster. I didn't really think that much of him until I read scotts review...and went back and watched some tape. He was similar to LSU as Glenn is to our offense. Not the guy everyone talks about...but the guy who gets the job done and doesn't have to talk about it. I really like him as a prospect. I actually forgot about him on my big board...he is gonna shuffle it up for me..I'll go back and change it.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-13-2006, 08:45 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I made a lot of post saying that we should pick up Hope or draft Danieal Manning, but my second FS in the draft was Watkins. I think he just needs some time to adjust. I don't think anybody really expected him to come in and start right away. After he did so good in training camp everybody forgot what was really expected from him though.

Elam probably threw things off a little too. Had he not done so well Davis and Pile probably both would have been kept. Pile actually wasn't too bad last year. The big plays all seemed to happen when Davis was on the field.
Manning was my number 2 at fs last year. We never had a shot at him...he went before us in round two. Reminds me of what happened when we wanted Bullocks two years ago...right before our pick /shrug. I wanted watkins..and kwhy only made me want him more. I still have high hopes for him.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-13-2006, 08:53 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Manning was my number 2 at fs last year. We never had a shot at him...he went before us in round two. Reminds me of what happened when we wanted Bullocks two years ago...right before our pick /shrug. I wanted watkins..and kwhy only made me want him more. I still have high hopes for him.
yeah I really wish Manning would have fell to us. I think this year the answer is definitely to replace Davis. I think we bring in a free agent that can start if Watkins isn't ready. There is no point drafting a FS early if Watkins develops. Then we would be in a position like we are with Carpenter.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I'm very hopeful but somewhat skeptical that Pat Watkins can improve enough next year to be a good starting FS for us. He did start 4 years at FSU right, so he's got some pedigree.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:01 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

Quote:
A guy I really like is Buster Davis outta LSU. We all know parcells loves himself some LSU blood. This guy is a speedster. I didn't really think that much of him until I read scotts review...and went back and watched some tape. He was similar to LSU as Glenn is to our offense. Not the guy everyone talks about...but the guy who gets the job done and doesn't have to talk about it. I really like him as a prospect. I actually forgot about him on my big board...he is gonna shuffle it up for me..I'll go back and change it.
Craig Davis
For a second there I thought you were saying we should draft another LB.

I still really like Meachem :D It looks like he will enter the draft now too.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Craig Davis
For a second there I thought you were saying we should draft another LB.

I still really like Meachem :D It looks like he will enter the draft now too.
Craig/Buster should probabally clarified further. :shock:

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

I really hope our new stadium doesn't have a really dumb sponsorship name like ******* Stadium. It should be called the house that Landry built but unfortunately that will never happen. I would bet that American Airlines gets the naming rights as they are based in Dallas I think and also have the naming rights to the Arena the Stars and Mavs play in.

It looks just too sweet! :D

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6265424
Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

We really don't need this crap right now. :twisted:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6270164

Here's more on the new stadium.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...m.37128e0.html
Old 12-14-2006, 02:23 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we'll se a lot of Kevin Burnett against the Falcons.. We need speed and quickness against Vick..
When our nickel we'll be on the field i think Burnett we'll spy Vick..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:31 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
I think we'll se a lot of Kevin Burnett against the Falcons.. We need speed and quickness against Vick..
I disagree...no LB in this league can spy Vick its pointless. We need to use containment tactics. Similar to the way that NO did to us. Which means bringing 5 guys....with OLB's holding containment. We don't have to speed to deal with him outside the pocket.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-14-2006, 07:30 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
I disagree...no LB in this league can spy Vick its pointless. We need to use containment tactics. Similar to the way that NO did to us. Which means bringing 5 guys....with OLB's holding containment. We don't have to speed to deal with him outside the pocket.
Last year hasn't the panthers had a good success spying Vick with Thomas David?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:47 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

I don't know how many of you watch Parcells press conferences, but today he said he wants to try Damarius Bilbo at safety.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't know how many of you watch Parcells press conferences, but today he said he wants to try Damarius Bilbo at safety.
I heard that, sounds like a long shot at best but it's worth a shot. That would be like a plan c or d though.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

That's not true at all. Kam Wimberly did an excellent job this year for the Browns. Tampa always does a good job. I'm sure Parcells will be looking at that Browns game footage very carefully.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:11 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
I heard that, sounds like a long shot at best but it's worth a shot. That would be like a plan c or d though.
yeah it's a long shot, but we have youth at WR. If there is a chance you could find a spot for somebody who doesn't really have a shot to make the team at his current position, then you have to take it.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:26 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Smells like a desperation move to me. I don't like it.

We might as well go FS in the first, get some top-notch talent, and drop Elam.

Call me an idiot, but drafting Michael Griffin would be pretty funny. We'd have two hard-hitting safeties in the backfield, and our coverage would go to ****, but come on... they're from Oklahoma and Texas. Roy and Griffin would attack each other like feral mountain goats.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:42 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hey, we haven't seen Texico around lately, have we?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:44 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX
Hey, we haven't seen Texico around lately, have we?
And I think not many have missed him either.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:45 PM    (permalink

How come the new stadium looks exactly like your old one :?:
Old 12-14-2006, 03:57 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfan33
I think it has some of the same charm as Texas Stadium, but still a little different.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfan33
Well it has a similar hole in the roof, but can be covered up if needed. Other than that, there's almost nothing similar. It's 2 1/2 times bigger than our current stadium.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Number-94

Might sound like a weird thing to ask. But, anyone have a clip of Ware getting completely pwned by Addai?