Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 12-15-2006, 05:59 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was going off the basis for comparison. You know what it's like, players screw up and they act like the whole franchise is just trash and that's not the case with either team. Marvin Lewis is a class act and it just annoys me that people point the finger at him. We've taken in people with off field troubles as have you all and our teams have been pretty successful of late so it doesn't effect our on field (as some people will claim).

We claimed Skyler Green today off waivers. Not sure if he's just for WR or PR/KR. Guess we'll see, doubt he does much Monday night.

Kwash is on IR. Looks like he's played his last game as a Bengal.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:21 AM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bengals Mock Draft 3.0: I am going to start this off by saying that I am going to assume that we finish the season at 10-6. That would give us a pick around number 24. Please tell me what you think. I can take the criticism and welcome it.

Round 1. Michael Griffin, Safety, Texas Sr, 6-0, 205, 4.45: Very smooth and athletic. Tough, physical, aggressive, and a big hitter. Fluid hips and exceptional in coverage. A lot of experience against top competition. 4 blocked kicks this season. Jackson is in the last years of his career and would be the perfect person for Griffin to learn from. Griffin has the stuff to be a stud in this league for quit a while. Madieu and Griffin in the secondary together would be quit a force.

Round 2. Daniel Bazuin, DE, Central Michigan Sr, 6-3, 272: Absolute sack machine and is always in the backfield. Some of the most impressive stats that I have ever seen. Through his Junior season he had 25 career sacks and 48.5 tackles for loss. Had 16 sacks his junior year and followed that up with 8.5 this year. He will fall in the draft because he doesn't play for a power house. This is the perfect fit for Bengals. We need that pass rusher of the future to team up with Geather becasue Smith might be gone next season. Might be that second round steal that the Bengals have come to be known by.

Round 3. Ahmad Brooks (2006)

Round 4. Justin Warren, ILB, Texas A&M Sr, 6-3, 245: Teams leading tackler by a mile. Ideal size and strength for an ILB. Scary to think that Odell and Pollack could not be back next year and Simmons is no longer a speedster. This would work well if we switch to a 3-4 but would also add depth, which we all know we need at this postion.

Round 5. Marquice Cole, CB, Northwestern Sr, 5-9, 185 Punt returner. A little small for the position which will make him drop in the draft. Marquice is more quick than fast, which is why he would be the perfect nickle or slot corner in the NFL. He makes plays in close quarters but gets beat on deep passes. Good tackler.

Round 6. John Beck, QB, BYU Sr, 6-1, 218: AMAZING ARM STRENGHT. Can throw a ball 75 yards. Guaranteed to make any throw at the next level. Reads defenses well, makes quality adjustments, and makes quick checkdowns on receivers. Good pocket presence and fairly agile. Has played under 2 head coaches and two different offensive schemes, progressing quickly into new system. Gun slinger who would fit into the Matt Schaub type of a career backup who could manage an offense in a pinch behind Carson. It would be nice to get a backup that will be around for a while.

Round 7. Brent Celek, TE, University of Cincinnati Sr, 6'4", 260: Great runner after the catch. Averages 15 yards a catch this season. Hometown product who is the all-time leading receiver as TE for the Bearcats. Just what the fans wanted... a TE.

Tell me what you guys think. What would you change? Do you like the positions that were picked? Who Dey
Old 12-17-2006, 03:38 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Regardless of tomorrow nights outcome we leave the WC leader for the 3rd straight week via Jacksonvilles loss.

WOOHOOO... I don't care though, if we win out it doesn't matter what everyone else does.

FootballGod, I'll check out your mock later... I'm too busy taking all of this in
Old 12-17-2006, 04:23 PM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FootballGod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats cool PalmertoCJ. The playoffs are in our hands for the rest of the season. All that we have to do is take care of our self the rest of the way and we are in.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:53 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Ok, I will still claim that it's hard to do a Bengals mock without knowing the future of Justin Smith. I think Woodley is a lock (if he makes it back to us) if Smith leaves. Honestly I still can't see us spending a first rounder on a saftey. Granted we need one for the future but saftey is a position where solid players can be found on day 2, I think a 4th rounder would be great to spend on a saftey.

Although we need a pass rusher I think if Justin Smith leaves we need a guy that is at least average in run stopping. For example I think if Moses and Woodley were there to be had round 1 Marvin wouldn't hesitate to take Woodley over Moses' pass rushing abilities. We can't have two players of situational pass rushing abilities starting all downs (Geathers/Draft pick). I don't think Bazuin would be the best fit to replace Smith who is just as good (if not better) at stopping the run as bringing heat on the QB.

CB is quickly becoming a potential first round need given Deltha being average and Tory James being trash. None of our backups have been able to step up to make a difference so I think it wouldn't be a half bad idea to address CB round 1. To be honest I'd really like to see CB addressed round 1 or 2 again this year because CB isn't a position you can really strike gold with in the later rounds.

If Smith stays...

1. CB/DT (only Okam really at DT)
2. Saftey (Wendling/Weddle maybe fall?)
4. QB (maybe, we need a long term backup)/KR-PR/OL/TE
5. "
6. "
7. "

It's hard to say what we'll do at LB. Jeanty is solid, Landon is decent, Odell is questionable, Ahmad is a future starter but at SLB or MLB?, Simmons is nearing the end, Pollack is questionable, Caleb is solid as a backup. I'm not sure what to think of it, Marvin loves them athletic LB's so maybe one will catch his eye in say round 2.

If Smith leaves...

1. Woodley (I'm hoping he drops)
2. Saftey/CB/Maybe LB.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:15 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If one of the absolute stud DTs drops to us than we'll certainly consider him but other than that, I thinik we'll be looking at CB with the 1st rd pick. I can definitely see the possiblility of a DE here too if Smith leaves, especially now that Pollack is gone.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:35 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott
If one of the absolute stud DTs drops to us than we'll certainly consider him but other than that, I thinik we'll be looking at CB with the 1st rd pick. I can definitely see the possiblility of a DE here too if Smith leaves, especially now that Pollack is gone.
IMO the pick WILL be DE if Smith is gone. There's plenty of depth and someone is bound to fall to us.

I agree, Okam is the only DT we really have a chacne for that I'm wanting to take. We have enough solid DT's just no playmaker, either we address DT round 1 or maybe day 2.

CB is a definete possibility, two solid young CB's for years to come would be a great addition to the offense. The rookie could rotate in with Deltha early on and hopefully challenge him for the starting spot later. It would be SWEET to have a decent CB fall to round 2 and us take Woodley first round if we don't re-sign Smith. CB's are rough to predict at this point because their draft position is impacted so much by their 40 (see Joseph, went from mid second to late first with his combine).
Old 12-17-2006, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Xfactor

Do you like the idea of drafting Lamar Woodley?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:56 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfactor
Do you like the idea of drafting Lamar Woodley?
Yes, I'm in love. He'd be a great replacement for Justin Smith if he leaves via FA.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:00 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

What do you think your team's gameplan for tomorrow's game?

You think they are going to be running the ball more then passing considering how had their run D has been this year?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:21 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown
What do you think your team's gameplan for tomorrow's game?

You think they are going to be running the ball more then passing considering how had their run D has been this year?
We will run for sure but we're a passing team first. I'd say you'll see plenty of runs to start out with but if we get them to start cheating no doubt there will be some bombs sent up top.

I see Rudi topping 100 tomorrow night but I expect the passing game to have the biggest impact.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:13 PM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

I am not that rapped up in Woodley as you are CarsontoCJ. He is only 6-2 and doesn't really come up big in big games. He is now labeled as a tweener and is not a pure DE. I would rather have Abiamiri than Woodley because he is more of a pure DE than Woodley. Woodley is built like a 3-4 OLB and I feel that he would have a hard time against NFL tackles because of his arm length. His arms look short to me. I obviously have no measurements on this but just from sight they look short for his body, which makes it hard to shed blockers.
I think that we will have something like the 24th pick in the draft. If this is true then the top 3 CB will most likely be gone. I would love to have M. McCauley from Fresno State because he is the fastest CB in the draft. He is a J. Joseph twin and would be great to have for years to come but I feel that Hall, Revis, and McCauley will all be gone by 24. No other CB is worthy of that high a pick. Originally McCauley was my pick in my mock but I am trying to be true to the draft and say that he will be gone.
Please take a look at Bazuin's stats and tell me why he is not a good fit. Bazuin is a sack master and will be a second round pick.
Safety might not be our pick in the first round but remember this, Ed Reed was selected #24 overall in the draft and look how he as turned out. Griffin is the real deal. Someone has to pick, why not us?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:26 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I understand where your picks are coming from, by no means am I bashing them.

I agree about the CB's, I'm hoping that McCauley will fall but I doubt it. That would be insane to have him and Joseph. I already feel like Joseph will emerge as a top CB, the guy is always around the ball... His only problem is he can't catch

My problem with Bazuin is do you see him as an every down DE? I haven't seen him play but everything I've seen has him pinned as a pass rusher, that's great but we need an every down DE (if Smith leaves). Part of why we were so bad against the run last year was because Geathers struggled as an every down DE.

Abiamiri would be a good pick IMO. By no means would that bother me, I just like what I see in production from Woodley.

I agree that Griffin is a great fit. Marvin puts a lot of emphasis on being good in coverage AND against the run, regardless of SS or FS. He'd be a nice grab but given Jacksons solid play and the fact that he has probably 2 years left in the tank I think we could wait to address saftey until later in the draft to groom one into a starter.

To me CB and DE (if Smith leaves) will be our most pressing needs, given how close we are to something special I think we have to draft players that can have an immediate impact. By no means would I be upset by a Griffin pick.

I'd much rather take Griffin than say Tank Tyler.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know how Bazuin is going to translate into the NFL, from what I've heard he is very slow off the ball, quick but gets a late start. Safety in the first might be a stretch. I agree it is tough to do a mock without knowing if Smith is staying or not. It might just be easiest to assume he is leaving and base all mocks off of that assumption (or assume he's staying). Either way there should be a known assumption.

Anyway, I went off on a tangent there for a bit. What about Anthony Spencer from Purdue as a DE? I know the size may not be great but he seems like a really good athlete and produced really well in college. Also, Josh Wilson the corner from Maryland could be interesting to look at, not great size but good speed and production, he could rise or stay in the second but either way he could be worth a look. Might be a shorter version of Joseph.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:27 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I'd really like to get Fred Bennett. Regardless we need a quick AND fast CB that can hold his own in man coverage. I'm not sure how Spencer would fit us.

Initially I just assumed Smith would be gone but now I'm not so sure. We should lose the contracts of Tory James, John Thornton and Eric Steinbach next year and I don't see us grabbing anyone in FA so that clears some space, along with the NFL expanding the cap number.

While I like Justin Smith, he's not a playmaker. He's solid in every aspect but not great, I hate to see him leave but it would be nice to try and find a DE in the draft. However if we re-sign Smith then we can have more freedom draft day and select CB/S or maybe LB/DT rounds 1 & 2. Should be interesting.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:56 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

With the continuing developement of Geathers as a pass rusher, there is really not a need for J.Smith to be a double digit sacker. We will eventually get improved pass rush from the OLBs when they learn their trade and we will likley look for a Pollack replacement. By the way, about Pollack, did anyone see that he was alarmed that everyone would assume that he is retiring? Apparently it still hinges on the type of surgery that gets done. Remember, Kelly Washington had neck surgery before the draft also and he is fine. I think we will see Skyler Green as our primary PR tonight and I think he'll do well. He was a stud in college.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
With the continuing developement of Geathers as a pass rusher, there is really not a need for J.Smith to be a double digit sacker. We will eventually get improved pass rush from the OLBs when they learn their trade and we will likley look for a Pollack replacement. By the way, about Pollack, did anyone see that he was alarmed that everyone would assume that he is retiring? Apparently it still hinges on the type of surgery that gets done. Remember, Kelly Washington had neck surgery before the draft also and he is fine. I think we will see Skyler Green as our primary PR tonight and I think he'll do well. He was a stud in college.
Supposedly the type of surgery Pollack is having wouldn't be career ending. And that is a good point, Cincy could just go with a decent all-around end in the second or third as a replacement if they feel Geathers can get the job done.

A nice plus come draft day is Brooks' versatility, since unless the coaching staff determines he is definitely a better fit for MLB or SLB the Bengals can pick the best available MLB or SLB and just go from there.

Wilson could be the quick and fast corner who can play man that the Bengals need, and might rise up into the late first where they could select him. He's certainly fast, at 4.35 where Scott has him, and at his size should be quick. Height at 5'9 could be a bit of an issue but may not be so much of an issue. Interesting to check out.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:41 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

Watching this Monday Night game, it doesn't appear our Bengals came to play tonight. That damn Chris Henry can take a seat for the rest of the night if I was coaching. His 1 handed efforts and drops are killing us and our defensive philosophy of allowing Manning all day to read and throw short just ain't working a bit.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:48 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Play calling is the biggest problem with this game. It's not so much execution, this freaking zone isn't working.

Tory James is still terrible.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:59 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

I think it's Bresnahan having our LBers spend the night running with their backs to the opponent and allowing all these short passes over the middle. This is a piss poor effort by all of them. This was my bigggest concern, playing the game like you're afraid rather than attacking Manning and putting on some pressure.

Just about every one of our losses has been becasue the defense was forced to play passive and I blame Bresnahan for that
Old 12-18-2006, 10:02 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is your OC running Rudi outside? :?

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:05 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

We miss Chris Perry on passing downs and 3rd down. He has that outside speed. I guess they feel that they have to show that once in awhile.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:06 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
We miss Chris Perry on passing downs and 3rd down. He has that outside speed. I guess they feel that they have to show that once in awhile.
Perry would've been HUGE this game. Oh well, it is what it is.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:57 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

Well, they definitely played poorly tonight and next week will be tough too. It's up to them if they want to go to the playoffs, they got to play.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:08 PM    (permalink
FootballGod
Rookie

Good God to we need Pollack and Thurman back next year. I pray that Pollack will return and if he does then he needs to be back at DE. He is a stud at DE and has that Linebacker type of quickness. I don't care what Thurman has done in the past if he can return clean and play like he did his rookie season. He could have been rookie of the year. We need them both. What do you guys think of putting Pollack back at DE if he returns?