Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems like the position of NFL head coach has been downgraded to glorified PR guy. What are Harbaugh's real qualifications? These owners are really going after an "image" i.e. a young, charasmatic guy moreso than an actual coach; last year it was Kiffin and Tomlin, and now we have guys like Harbaugh and Jason Garrett. Well, how do we know if these guys will have the respect of the veteran players on the team? I really believe these owners are understimating how important it is to have head coaching experience.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:51 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Thats what I was worried about with Garrett going there, guys like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis I doubt are going to have full trust in a new young guy coming in changing things around, especially as soon as they get bad...Dont know why they didnt give Rex Ryan a shot anyway, he did wonders with that defense he deserved at least a shot
Ryan didn't do anything more than Marvin Lewis or Nolan did. Not to say he doesn't deserve a job, but those two certainly haven't done much.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:52 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
It seems like the position of NFL head coach has been downgraded to glorified PR guy. What are Harbaugh's real qualifications?
Best special teams coach in the last 20 years?

You don't get experience without getting a chance with someone. I like innovative hires like this much more than simply re-hiring the same 10-15 guys over and over again.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
You want your offense to be "give the ball to (insert starting RB here)"? That's what his offense basically was in his last two stops, until Ronnie Brown went down for the year.
I fail to see the problem with this plan. It's not like he was anything less than one of the top OCs in the game two years ago.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always hire him as my special teams coach in Madden... lol.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:17 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
last year it was Kiffin and Tomlin
Did you just use Tomlin as a reason to not hire young coaches?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasnt really impressed with his accomplishments, but I wasnt with any guy we interviewed. Apparently Phillys QB coach will be the OC and my Uncle said McNabb credited him w/ a lot of his success, Rex Ryan and Harbaugh were on the same staff at Cinncinatti(college) in 96 so they may keep Rex.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reminds me of Jim Mora Jr..

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like it, it's gonna be fun to see how this turns out. Some say it's a very risky move but sometimes taking risks can pay off in a big way...

should be interesting
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It will be interesting how his philosphies interact with the personel and the OC and DC, thats who a young guy with no HC experience will be succesful.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this reminds me so much of the Packers in 05 then in 06. This team is rebuilding and is looking for a new identity.

I don't know much about this guy but if he indeed is like Jim Mora Jr. then thats a good step in the right direction. The Ravens need a coach with passion and who players want to play for.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:18 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ad.php?t=17218
if anyone wants to talk about all the coaching updates talk here
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:02 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
Did you just use Tomlin as a reason to not hire young coaches?
Well, yes. Personally I'm not impressed with Tomlin very much. Pittsburgh lost some games they had no business losing and that is generally a telltale sign of poor coaching. I'm also concerned that the QB had a career year, passer rating north of 100, a fantastic running game for the majority of the season and also the #1 defense in the NFL for much of the year, and still only ended up 10-6 and losing in the first round of the playoffs. That really doesn't sit well with me. Tomlin also didn't help himself by losing to Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm, who both would have been better choices in my opinion.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:32 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you would be better off with Jim Harbaugh

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

Quote:
Well, yes. Personally I'm not impressed with Tomlin very much. Pittsburgh lost some games they had no business losing and that is generally a telltale sign of poor coaching. I'm also concerned that the QB had a career year, passer rating north of 100, a fantastic running game for the majority of the season and also the #1 defense in the NFL for much of the year, and still only ended up 10-6 and losing in the first round of the playoffs. That really doesn't sit well with me. Tomlin also didn't help himself by losing to Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm, who both would have been better choices in my opinion.
So because his team lost in the playoffs to a better team with a better record, after having a good season, he's a worse choice as a HC than the Cardinal coaches who brought their team to an awful record in an awful division? I see most of what you said as a positive for Tomlin. His QB had a career year, his team's running game was amazing, and his defense (his strength as a coach) played fantastic football. I don't see the problem here. There are good teams in the playoffs, his team just wasn't as good as Jacksonville. There's a reason the Jags went 11-5.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
So because his team lost in the playoffs to a better team with a better record, after having a good season, he's a worse choice as a HC than the Cardinal coaches who brought their team to an awful record in an awful division? I see most of what you said as a positive for Tomlin. His QB had a career year, his team's running game was amazing, and his defense (his strength as a coach) played fantastic football. I don't see the problem here. There are good teams in the playoffs, his team just wasn't as good as Jacksonville. There's a reason the Jags went 11-5.
If a team has a great quarterback, great defense, and great running game the best you can hope for is a 10-6 record, first round exit and bad losses to Arizona and the Jets? And I dispute that Pittsburgh isn't as good as Jacksonville. The Steelers have a better QB, and an equal defense... the running game took a big hit obviously when Parker went down, but Parker was healthy for the first Jaguars game. So what's missing?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:56 PM    (permalink
UK Cards Fan
Rookie

UK Cards Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.UK Cards Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The qualities required to be a HC are so different than those to be a co-ordinator.

He appears to be an energetic guy who can communicate, motivate and understands football. I think those qualities are far more relevant than experience.

Whilst there's always risks, I think this is more likely to be a great hire than anything else.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Patriots16-0
Veteran

Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0

And at your right, we can see a poor team with a special teams coordinator as a head coach.

Thanks to darnik44two for the sig

Dream Pats Draft:
1. Vernon Gholston, LB, tOSU
2. Adarious Bowman, WR, Ok St
3a. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
4. Peyton Hillis, RB, Ark
5. Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
6. Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman
7. Pierre Garcon, WR, Mt Union
Patriots16-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots16-0 View Post
And at your right, we can see a poor team with a special teams coordinator as a head coach.
How do you think Belechick started out?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:10 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
How do you think Belechick started out?
... when mr. and ms. Belichick got some hanky panky goin' on?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:13 AM    (permalink
Patriots16-0
Veteran

Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0 Patriots16-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
... when mr. and ms. Belichick got some hanky panky goin' on?
[idiot laughing...]

Nice joke.

Thanks to darnik44two for the sig

Dream Pats Draft:
1. Vernon Gholston, LB, tOSU
2. Adarious Bowman, WR, Ok St
3a. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
4. Peyton Hillis, RB, Ark
5. Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
6. Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman
7. Pierre Garcon, WR, Mt Union
Patriots16-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:59 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
he is the former eagles special teams coach and current defensive backs coach i believe
All i know about him.. is in madden i always hired him as my special teams coach... so after that... is he a good coach and what can you eagles fans tell me about htis guy? or are you as confused as i am?

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote