Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-24-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Hate all you want but our new FO already is making the best decisions possible

Emmitt Thomas as Assistant Head Coach...that's friggin brilliant, no one could have made a better decision, because there isn't one to be made. Perfect job by the staff doing what needs to be done to give someone who earned it a nice pat on the back, and someone the players love in a position that garners him even more respect and brings the team closer together. Way to go Dimi and Smith.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:27 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I like Smith a bit more than I did and I see the fit with Mularkey I do not think any of these hires are sure things or should be called the best decision possible.

Mike Smith- We will see
Emmitt Thomas- Passing Defenses: 2002- 16 2003- 32 2004-22 2005- 14 2006- 29 2007-23

Average: 23 (22.666)
Low: 32
High: 14

The players like him so I think assistent head coach is good. But we need a new DB coach.

Brian Van Gorder- Likely gone in a few years. Technically he has had 6 jobs in 5 years (Georiga 2001-2003, Jacksonville 2003-2004, Georgia Southern 2006, Atlanta Falcons 2007, South Carolina Gamecocks 2008, Atlanta Falcons 2008). He has been with 11 teams (9 college, twice with the Falcons) since 1989.

Mike Mularkey- If hired 4 teams (Pittsburgh Steelers 2001-2003, Buffalo Bills 2004-2005, Miami Dolphins 2006 offensive coordinator- 2007 tight end coach, Atlanta Falcons would/ will be 2008) since 2003.

Offenses when he was offensive coordinator (Pittsburgh, Miami) or head coach (Buffalo): 3, 5, 22, 25, 28, 20

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, these are far from the best hires. I like the approach of stacking up the line, but every coach says that. Dmitrioff is the guy who I think will pull it off though. The coaching choices have been pretty bad thus far.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You can't say that...period. You don't know if they are good or bad hires. The fact that our 2ndary has been ranked differently doesn't reflect directly on the 2ndary because that depends on the schemes as well as the health (which we haven't had in the 2ndary) plus the defensive line problems which reflect directly in the 2ndary. Look at what Deangelo has become with his coaching, the progress Houston had so far has been very good...naming him AHC is the best move possible.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
You can't say that...period. You don't know if they are good or bad hires. The fact that our 2ndary has been ranked differently doesn't reflect directly on the 2ndary because that depends on the schemes as well as the health (which we haven't had in the 2ndary) plus the defensive line problems which reflect directly in the 2ndary. Look at what Deangelo has become with his coaching, the progress Houston had so far has been very good...naming him AHC is the best move possible.

If you can say they are good hires, I can say they are bad. I like Emmitt. The rest of the coaching calls, not so much.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
While I like Smith a bit more than I did and I see the fit with Mularkey I do not think any of these hires are sure things or should be called the best decision possible.

Mike Smith- We will see
Emmitt Thomas- Passing Defenses: 2002- 16 2003- 32 2004-22 2005- 14 2006- 29 2007-23

Average: 23 (22.666)
Low: 32
High: 14

The players like him so I think assistent head coach is good. But we need a new DB coach.

Brian Van Gorder- Likely gone in a few years. Technically he has had 6 jobs in 5 years (Georiga 2001-2003, Jacksonville 2003-2004, Georgia Southern 2006, Atlanta Falcons 2007, South Carolina Gamecocks 2008, Atlanta Falcons 2008). He has been with 11 teams (9 college, twice with the Falcons) since 1989.

Mike Mularkey- If hired 4 teams (Pittsburgh Steelers 2001-2003, Buffalo Bills 2004-2005, Miami Dolphins 2006 offensive coordinator- 2007 tight end coach, Atlanta Falcons would/ will be 2008) since 2003.

Offenses when he was offensive coordinator (Pittsburgh, Miami) or head coach (Buffalo): 3, 5, 22, 25, 28, 20
Passing Defense isn't about the DB coach. Interceptions are though...
2002 - 3rd (Buchanon, Ambrose, McBurrows, Carpenter)
2003 - 14th (Bolden, McBride, Scott, Hall)
2004 - 9th (Hall, Webster, Scott, Hall)
2005 - 14th (Hall, Webster, Carpenter, Heard)
2006 - 25th (Hall, Webster, Crocker, Milloy)
2007 - 17th (Hall, Houston, Crocker, Milloy)

but if you take combined #'s from all those years we are in the top 10.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Last edited by scar988 : 01-24-2008 at 11:27 PM.
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
Passing Defense isn't about the DB coach. Interceptions are though...
2002 - 3rd
2003 - 14th
2004 - 9th
2005 - 14th
2006 - 25th
2007 - 17th

but if you take combined #'s from all those years we are in the top 10.
That makes no sense. If you say DL get pressure and LB are in coverage I say linebackers get interceptions and sometimes defensive lineman do. Both passing defense and interceptions are predominantly on the secondary but also with the rest of the defense.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:49 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
That makes no sense. If you say DL get pressure and LB are in coverage I say linebackers get interceptions and sometimes defensive lineman do. Both passing defense and interceptions are predominantly on the secondary but also with the rest of the defense.
Nope, if you have a DL who can't get pressure, you can have Deangelo + Champ + Ed Reed + Polamalu + Asomugah...and they'll still look average because CBs can only cover so long, that's why pressure from the DL and LBs is so important.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
If you can say they are good hires, I can say they are bad. I like Emmitt. The rest of the coaching calls, not so much.
I said they made the best decisions possible...directly referring to Emmitt is what I was saying, there is no better decision to be made than that one. I didn't say the DC / OC were good hires, don't know yet, just like you don't know if they're bad ones, I'd just rather wait and see, but be positive in the mean time than be so negative...
Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Mr. Myogi
Rookie

Mr. Myogi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Are you all actually going back & forth about garbage stats? All we can do is sit back and watch the puzzle come together. Hopefully it will be a masterpiece, but if it is not guess what unless you are the nephew, cousin, or brother of Mrs Blank or Dimitroff its really not too much you can do about it.

What I'm saying is.......... you never know how something may pan out, so don't be sooo quick to pass judgement. I bet all of you wanted Cowher too, huh? Why? 1 Super Bowl out of 1 million years coaching the Steelers and their great athletes and he averaged sub-par seasons. I can't say that I don't like the new regime and I cant say that I do, but I will say that " I am a FALCONS fan". The only thing that would make me denounce my fanship will be to waste the 1st rd pick on Matt Ryan.

*********"Wax on, Wax off Danielson"**********
Mr. Myogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Nope, if you have a DL who can't get pressure, you can have Deangelo + Champ + Ed Reed + Polamalu + Asomugah...and they'll still look average because CBs can only cover so long, that's why pressure from the DL and LBs is so important.
The point is irrelevant. If pressure affects passing yards it affects interceptions as well.

Bringing in things other than the secondary makes it an arguement on Mike Zimmer, not Emmitt Thomas.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

The interceptions aren't effected as greatly by pressure, because a lot of them come from people jumping routes etc...yes there are bonuses from the rush getting there, but the truth of the matter is you can't cover someone forever...4 seconds is a good job 5 is one hell of a job. An interception is not from that. But there really is no point in trying to explain things to you.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Because you are so mentally superior [/sarcasm].

You sound rediculous. The things go hand in hand. You say it comes with jumping routes I say some are from quick routes where pressure does not matter, or where we just get burnt.