Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing with Watkins is I really haven't seen anything at all from him that would make me think he is the answer at FS. No steady or consistent play, no unbelievable feat of athleticism that he supposedly has, lack of ball skills when the deep ball is thrown, nothing. I know he is just a rookie and we say he never got a fair shot, but he started the first few games of the season, and aside from a fumble recovery against the Eagles, he did not play well. Even recently he hasn't shown an type of progression. And I believe if he doesn't progress in the offseason, we'll be in the same situation next year, the same situation we've been in since Woody left. So if in the 1st round, someone like Nelson, Griffin or Landry falls to us I saw we take him. They are playmakers, and instant impact players who can compliment Roy very well. I know, Watkins is probably a nice kid, and he has all the tools, but I just have very little faith in him. That's just me.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:11 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99
Well, since we're back onto draft talk.

My official stance is that we need to draft a DB or Pass Rushing DE/OLB in the first round and in the second we draft the other.

After that we should concentrate on developmental players for WR/OL/DL/RB positions.

I began this thought process by asking, what common denominators there are with Championship teams.

The two single things that seemed to be apparent with virtually all SB teams is a very good QB (which we appear to have, but time will certainly tell) and a very good defense. Although we've invested alot of draft picks toward defense, we're still not dominant in that area.

To that end, I feel if it's a common denominator and it's one of the only common denominators then it's what we should concentrate on.
Your LB core is fine. Its the front 3 that are mediocre. Even in a 3-4, it all starts up front with the horses. If they don't do their job, the LBs can't roam free. And Spears has been a bust so far, and Canty has been average. Couple that with an average 3-4 NT (Fergy is good, but nothing to brag about), your LBs aren't coming unblocked. No LB core in a 3-4 is worth squat without a dominant front 3.

Im starting to think that your mock should be built around that issue. Maybe Pitcock could be that high motor pass rusher that you guys lack, and replace Spears.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:31 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WTF is that bigblue

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:35 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

All the talk about zibkowski as a FS is out of place. First he is another grossly over rated ND white guy. Sorry guys. Second he is a SS in the Pros.

Every FS in the NFL should have played CB in College at a minimum or have those types of athletic skills. FS today has tons of coverage responsibilities and the 'step slow big hitter' is an anachronism.

This is why I am advocating Henry to FS.

On draft, if we can't get an edge rusher in round 1 we should get em in FA. Adalius Thomas would be great but expensive. In the draft, a guy who may fall to Dallas is Woodley from Mich. Kinda short for Bill but strong and can play either side.

DT in round 1 aint happin unless Branch falls into our lap.... Not. DE, not sure anything better than what we got.

Personally, I prefer they address CB or OL or WR in the first. I think draft is deepest here and when picking late 1 you need to go where depth is to get talent.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

I also advocate pushing to get Shaun Rogers from Detroit.

He would solve lots of problems in the pass rush and could play DE in run situations with Fergie as NT.

Probably need to give up one of our DL guys plus a pick but ....

Guy is in Marinelli's dog house and BP likes him.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever

He would solve lots of problems in the pass rush and could play DE in run situations with Fergie as NT.

Leave Rogers alone, another guy with substance abuse problems is the last thing we need.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:29 AM    (permalink
DSlay4

The real question is, who do we get to replace Julius Jones?

I personally think we should get Brian Lenoard. Think about it, he could line up at FB or HB, we could have him split carries with Marion Barber, he's a good lead blocker, and he can catch out of the backfield.

I really liked julius in his rookie season, but let's face it he runs like a ***** now, he has no heart. I say we dump him this off season.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:30 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
Quote:

Leave Rogers alone, another guy with substance abuse problems is the last thing we need.
Who do we have with a substance abuse problems?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm agree with you on Rogers, he would be a huge upgrade. We need someone like Castillo too.. Maybe Hatcher could step up, or maybe Canty is just having a sophomore slump..

And for the Julius question, I don't think that if we trade him we'll need a Brian Leonard type of player, we'll need someone more like Ray Rice than Leonard.. A speedy back..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:53 AM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

What do yall think our #1 need is now for either the draft or FA? I said a couple weeks ago it was FS but now I'm not so sure as Pat Watkins seems to be improving each game and I think he's got a lot of potential. I think we need to address the fact that we don't have a consistent pass rush except Ware, that's a big reason we're currently ranked 20th in the L in pass defense.

Here are our offensive and defensive rankings:

Offense: Total 4th Run 10th Pass 4th

Defense: Total 11th Run 7th Pass 20th

Obviously the only glaring weakness is pass defense and we already have a lot of money invested in the secondary and by and large they have played well this season. Therefore I think our biggest weakness is our lack of a consistent pass rush, so I think that's our biggest need, I'm just not sure how we should address this need as we already have a lot of money and or draft picks invested on guys like Spears, Canty, and Carpenter, and it's still way too early to write those guys off.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:04 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
What are the odds that BP comes back next year? I personally would like to see him give it one more shot in 2007. I believe we're good enough to possibly win it all this year, but there's still some doubt in mind. Another year under Bill and this team could be dominent next year.
If you win the SB this year, I think he's gone. If you don't, theres a good chance he'll come back.

Remember he only came back because he was broke from his divorce, so he still probably wants a lil extra cash before he goes off to the sunset. That and Romo really have given him some extra energy to stick around.

But an interesting tidbit is the fact that he never bought a home in Dallas. He lives in a damn Motel, so that tells me that this is strictly a temporary stay for him. So who knows, BP is like Larry Brown, he'll jump ship at any moment.
How do you know Parcells lives in a motel, was this reported anywhere? I find this extremely hard to believe, if I had to guess I'd think he lives in a really expensive nice apartment, assuming he doesn't have a house here.
I don't think this is too far fetched. He spends almost all his time at the ranch. I think he said he was there for a good 3 months straight during tc.
He doesn't live in a motel by any stretch. He lives in an expensive section of Irving called Las Colinas, not far from Valley Ranch where the Cowboys headquarters is located. I actually live just down the road, although in a much less pricey complex. :) Now he may treat it like a motel, but that's his own choice. I'd love to live there by the canals.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im telling you guys, its the front 3.

Next time you watch the game, look at the push the front 3 get. Its pretty average. You need a great push out of the front 3 to be a good 3-4 defense, so those LBs can come unblocked.

I think the front 3 need to be addressed.

I think Marcus Spears is gonna be a bust. You can be like NYG, and wait for him to come around for 4+ years and it will never happen, or you can cut your losses now.

I see William Joseph in him, I really do.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:29 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

We've got to give Spears and Canty at least another year, Parcells said it takes 3 years to really know if a guy can play or not. Parcells said he learned this from Landry, he's said this many times. I know it took Bradie James 3 years to actually become a good player, it would have been terrible if we had given up on Bradie after year 2 and he became a really good player for someone else. Another good example is Andre Gurode who actually really took 4 years to become a good player, luckily we didn't give up him and we're reaping the benefits of that patience now. I'm not saying Spears is gonna be just like James and Gurode but we should have some patience with him I think.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:00 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We've got to give Spears and Canty at least another year, Parcells said it takes 3 years to really know if a guy can play or not. Parcells said he learned this from Landry, he's said this many times. I know it took Bradie James 3 years to actually become a good player, it would have been terrible if we had given up on Bradie after year 2 and he became a really good player for someone else. Another good example is Andre Gurode who actually really took 4 years to become a good player, luckily we didn't give up him and we're reaping the benefits of that patience now. I'm not saying Spears is gonna be just like James and Gurode but we should have some patience with him I think.
I fully agree with this point. We have to be patient with our young d-lineman. However, I will say that we should still look for more young talent in the draft. A deep d-line is a good thing.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:10 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You've been riding that horse pretty heavy, BBD, but I think you are wrong. Spears is pretty damn good against the run, no worse than "above average". His problem is converting from run to pass on early downs. He only plays about half the snaps, and combined with the fact that he has to play straight up two-gap on every single play, it is making for a pretty big adjustment mentally for him.

You have to remember, this is a guy that has missed not just one but both training camps in his first two years. That is the time and place where most of the technique and mental work is done. Once the season starts it is mostly just studying your opponent and game-planning for specific things. He is not anywhere near where Joseph is, as he (WJ) simply doesn't put in the effort, and doesn't seem to "want it" enough to develop. Spears is a hard worker, and is dedicated to making it in this league. He has the potential to be a Richard Seymour-type dominator from his position, he just needs to play smarter and be more consistent in his technique. Even if he doesn't become dominant, he will still be a minimum of a good solid pro. He is nearly there already.

Canty actually concerns me more, even though he has played a bit better than Spears has. He is playing in the exact same scheme he played his college ball in. He hasn't missed any training camp either year, and he has been dominant during TC and preseason (and even the early part of this season), and yet he is having a hard time turning it into on-field production.

Again, both of these guys are very good against the run, as is Ferguson. He is vastly underrated, and while he isn't quite in the same category as Williams or Hampton, he is close to that against the run, and does decently against the pass.

Still, I think right now the pass rush is struggling from a conglomeration of small problems rather than one or two big ones. Firstly, Ellis is not here, and that is big. Secondly, DeMarcus isn't quite as far along as he should be given his physical ability. Third, Spears and Canty are not converting from run to pass well on early downs. Fourth, our inside LBs are not giving us jack-sh** of inside pressure, which is also related to the play of the front 3, but they still have opportunities - they are just harder to capitalize on. Fifth - and this is no longer a problem, but it was for a bit - Hatcher was injured and depleted our rush in that manner. And, finally, something that has gone unnoticed, but where the hell as Ratliff been? In the first 5 games he was a major disruptive force, even leading the team in sacks for a week or two, but now he is invisible. I haven't seen him make any type of play since the Indy game. I think he was one of the guys that Parcells was referring to when he said on Monday that he was giving the team a few days off to rest their legs and maybe get a couple of them back to where they were at the start of the season. He has been invisible.

So, I don't think we should panic, even though it is very tempting to do so. We did much better against Atlanta, and I think we could have gotten 6 or 7 if Vick hadn't been the QB. DeMarcus himself would have had at least 3. But Carp is showing some things, Hatcher is coming along, and we are showing more of a willingness to blitz. Hopefully that will continue.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
You've been riding that horse pretty heavy, BBD, but I think you are wrong. Spears is pretty damn good against the run, no worse than "above average". His problem is converting from run to pass on early downs. He only plays about half the snaps, and combined with the fact that he has to play straight up two-gap on every single play, it is making for a pretty big adjustment mentally for him.

You have to remember, this is a guy that has missed not just one but both training camps in his first two years. That is the time and place where most of the technique and mental work is done. Once the season starts it is mostly just studying your opponent and game-planning for specific things. He is not anywhere near where Joseph is, as he (WJ) simply doesn't put in the effort, and doesn't seem to "want it" enough to develop. Spears is a hard worker, and is dedicated to making it in this league. He has the potential to be a Richard Seymour-type dominator from his position, he just needs to play smarter and be more consistent in his technique. Even if he doesn't become dominant, he will still be a minimum of a good solid pro. He is nearly there already.

Canty actually concerns me more, even though he has played a bit better than Spears has. He is playing in the exact same scheme he played his college ball in. He hasn't missed any training camp either year, and he has been dominant during TC and preseason (and even the early part of this season), and yet he is having a hard time turning it into on-field production.

Again, both of these guys are very good against the run, as is Ferguson. He is vastly underrated, and while he isn't quite in the same category as Williams or Hampton, he is close to that against the run, and does decently against the pass.

Still, I think right now the pass rush is struggling from a conglomeration of small problems rather than one or two big ones. Firstly, Ellis is not here, and that is big. Secondly, DeMarcus isn't quite as far along as he should be given his physical ability. Third, Spears and Canty are not converting from run to pass well on early downs. Fourth, our inside LBs are not giving us jack-sh** of inside pressure, which is also related to the play of the front 3, but they still have opportunities - they are just harder to capitalize on. Fifth - and this is no longer a problem, but it was for a bit - Hatcher was injured and depleted our rush in that manner. And, finally, something that has gone unnoticed, but where the hell as Ratliff been? In the first 5 games he was a major disruptive force, even leading the team in sacks for a week or two, but now he is invisible. I haven't seen him make any type of play since the Indy game. I think he was one of the guys that Parcells was referring to when he said on Monday that he was giving the team a few days off to rest their legs and maybe get a couple of them back to where they were at the start of the season. He has been invisible.

So, I don't think we should panic, even though it is very tempting to do so. We did much better against Atlanta, and I think we could have gotten 6 or 7 if Vick hadn't been the QB. DeMarcus himself would have had at least 3. But Carp is showing some things, Hatcher is coming along, and we are showing more of a willingness to blitz. Hopefully that will continue.
Those are all great points. I didn't realize that about Spears. I guess you have to give him along with the rest of that youth some time. Theres no question about their abilities against the run, I think the issue is of course the pass rush, and I overlooked some reasons for that lack of rush that you mentioned.

Still, some good depth wouldn't hurt. But then again, you have depth. I think NT is the real culprit here, to truely be a dominant 3-4, a dominant NT is a must. That and BP just isn't really open to blitzing this year. I think the play of the Safeties has really hindered the playbook from opening up.

I think Roy seriously needs to lose 15 pounds in the offseason. I know the hits are great, but at the end of the day, he needs to improve his coverage. The team needs him to become more commited in developing his coverage techniques this offseason.

I don't think its fair to write off Watkins yet. He's physically just as capable as any of these rookies in this draft, and he just has to work on technique and such. And afterall, he's only a rookie, he's making rookie mistakes. So that puts your draft board in a tough spot. Do you draft FS, or give Watkins more time? Id say give Watkins more time, but theres only one person who truely knows the answer to this question, and thats BP. So I guess its a wait and see sort of thing. If BP doesn't feel that Watkins can be the answer, Im pretty sure he addresses FS, if he doesn't address FS, that tells me he has confidence in Watkins.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:55 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

That's a good point DMW about Spears missing the first two training camps with injuries that had to ****** his development.

From Parcells press conference:

Parcells actually called Andy Reid earlier in the season to offer support?!

Jason Hatcher missed practice cuz his wife had a baby today, congrats Jason!

Not an evenful press conference at all, they're asking kind of stupid questions.

Bill talking about the importance of preparing our young players for the aura of the playoffs and a playoff atmosphere.

Bill said the FB problems are really elementary simple mistakes.

I'm pretty sure it's Ryan Fowler that keeps letting the FBs run free. Folwer is really only there cuz he's a strong run defender but if he's this bad in coverage maybe we should be using Burnett in that role.

EDIT: FYI I didn't type nice guy his development censorship is a good idea but it doesn't allow for interpretation of context.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:27 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I think censorship is dumb as hell, but I don't make the rules, so whatever. The fact that you can't say something like "this or that has r e t a r d ed his development" which literally means "slowed down, or inhibited" is ridiculous. All so that some freakin' down-syndrome person, or someone who knows or loves one, doesn't come in and see it and become mortally wounded. Even if it's a good idea, that is taking it way too far.

But moving on....

On Watkins, there is no way we can write him off. Someone said before that he hasn't done anything all year......:shock: :shock: . Um, what about LAST WEEK? He did get an interception, and don't you dare write that damn thing off. That's exactly what safeties are supposed to do. They are in charge of staying in position to prevent the deep ball, and when the QB is dumb enough to throw it anyway, they pick it off. He did his job, and more importantly was not involved directly in any one of the big plays that Atlanta had. He has been much better lately, and he had some nice plays early on. I think he just needs to get his confidence, and that good play will follow.

Still, if he doesn't pan out we would be in trouble. I think the best thing to do would be to go after a solid vet who won't break the bank (a Tony Parrish type would be perfect, except as a FS), but will do a fair job if Watkins doesn't develop next year. Then go after a top FS the next year. You have to give the kid a chance, but not push all your chips in on him.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Number-94

Quote:
That's a good point DMW about Spears missing the first two training camps with injuries that had to nice guy his development.

Not an evenful press conference at all, they're asking kind of stupid questions.

Bill talking about the importance of preparing our young players for the aura of the playoffs and a playoff atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure it's Ryan Fowler that keeps letting the FBs run free. Folwer is really only there cuz he's a strong run defender but if he's this bad in coverage maybe we should be using Burnett in that role.

EDIT: FYI I didn't type nice guy his development censorship is a good idea but it doesn't allow for interpretation of context.
Didn't see the PC so I don't know if Bill said it's Fowler or not. But I'm really starting to think it's Ware. Teams know where the rush is coming from, Ware or no ware(har har). So why not send a FB his way and get one that's wide open or let him cover and get 7 seconds in the pocket.

P.S.
I'm not blaming Ware but the lack of pass rush from everyone else.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number-94
Quote:
That's a good point DMW about Spears missing the first two training camps with injuries that had to nice guy his development.

Didn't see the PC so I don't know if Bill said it's Fowler or not. But I'm really starting to think it's Ware. Teams know where the rush is coming from, Ware or no ware(har har). So why not send a FB his way and get one that's wide open or let him cover and get 7 seconds in the pocket.

P.S.
I'm not blaming Ware but the lack of pass rush from everyone else.
I read this morning that it was both. Ware rushed Vick instead keeping ground on one of the touchdowns for Grifin. On another play Fowler missed his assignment. I'm still looking for that article. I'll post it when I find it.

Okay guys, sorry. Don't hold me to that. I think I got my articles mixed up.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:47 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

Bill obviously didn't want to mention anybody by name specifically and assign blame publicly but in reading between the lines I'm pretty sure it's Fowler on most of those plays. However, Bill did say that it could be either the ILB or OLB responsibility. If you listen or watch the PC he went into detail about the FB mistakes, saying it was a guy who mistaknely thought they were playing one coverage when they were playing something different.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:48 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Newman a pro bowl alternate? I think it's nuts he didn't get it this year.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:55 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Is Newman a pro bowl alternate? I think it's nuts he didn't get it this year.
We won't find out until later but obviously he deserved to make it as a starter or at least a reserve at the very least. There's no doubt in my mind Newman is significantly better than Hall.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:07 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BBD -

I do not claim to know the exact cause of the problem with the defense. I leave that up to the coaches, who not only 1) know more about football than any of us could dream about, but also 2) get to see the real game film while also knowing what each player was supposed to do in that situation.

You'll very rarely see me comment on specific performances within a game. I comment on the theory of the way things are supposed to happen. I also comment on observations of general circumstances (i.e. pressure on the QB, or past SB winners and what common threads they have).

To that end, I cannot say if it's the NT (I personally think it's not, but I'm not a coach) or the DE or the LB's. What I can say is that I feel that the first two picks in the draft should be geared toward the defense.

Going into this season I felt that the offense would be the limiting factor. As of this writing the offense is the second most prolific scoring offense in the league. So obviously, it's not the offense that's limiting the Cowboys.

I also feel that, with only a few exceptions, every solid SB team has had a very good defense and good QB play. Some can run the ball, some do not. Some have great WR's, some do not. Some had stellar OL, some did not. But they all had a good defense and good QB play.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99
BBD -

I do not claim to know the exact cause of the problem with the defense. I leave that up to the coaches, who not only 1) know more about football than any of us could dream about, but also 2) get to see the real game film while also knowing what each player was supposed to do in that situation.

You'll very rarely see me comment on specific performances within a game. I comment on the theory of the way things are supposed to happen. I also comment on observations of general circumstances (i.e. pressure on the QB, or past SB winners and what common threads they have).

To that end, I cannot say if it's the NT (I personally think it's not, but I'm not a coach) or the DE or the LB's. What I can say is that I feel that the first two picks in the draft should be geared toward the defense.

Going into this season I felt that the offense would be the limiting factor. As of this writing the offense is the second most prolific scoring offense in the league. So obviously, it's not the offense that's limiting the Cowboys.

I also feel that, with only a few exceptions, every solid SB team has had a very good defense and good QB play. Some can run the ball, some do not. Some have great WR's, some do not. Some had stellar OL, some did not. But they all had a good defense and good QB play.
Sometimes my personal beliefs on what wins and how to build teams comes out in my posts. I played on a team that preached smashmouth football that put a strong emphasis on physical play and in particular, strong play in the trenches. So sometimes you'll see my bias in those beliefs come out in my posts.

Having that said, I do honestly feel that it all starts up front, and while none of us are coaches, there are alot of weaknesses we can notice on our respective teams that could use improvement. Their eyes are no different from mine in a sense that we both can see, and Ive been around the game long enough to know a thing or do about the Xs and Os and assignments and what not. Not as in detail as the coaches of course but at the end of the day its not that complex.

Being a Giants fan, Im very familiar with the 3-4 defense and what makes it tick. And the common denominator among all the elite 3-4 teams Ive ever saw was a dominant front 3. You must create a push out of the front 3 to thrive in a 3-4, or any defense for that matter.

As great as the Giants defense was in the 80s, they wouldn't be squat if Leonard Marshall, Jim Burt, and George Martin didn't hold the fort up front. The Patriots defense wouldn't be squat without Seymour, Wilfork and Warren up front. And SD's defense thrives on the stellar play of their front 3.

Take Pittsburgh for example. They have for roughly a decade, ran the 3-4. In their entire tenure in the 3-4, while theyve had a good set of linebackers, theyve never had a dominant pass rushing class of linebackers. They always had a solid group, but nothing to wow about. Yet for the past 10 years, theyve always been near the top of the NFL in defense. Why? Because while their LBs were always serviceable, they always committed their defense to be very strong up front in their front 3. So while their Lb cores weren't necessarily the bigblue of the 80s, they were always able to consistently be a top 10 defense because of their stellar play in the trenches which allowed their LBs to roam more freely.

Look at their core right now. Porter, Foote, Farrior, Hagans. Not really the fearsome foursome if I say so myself. Are they good? Yes they are, but theyre not as good as SD, NE, or Dallas's lb core. Yet just last year, they were the most dominant of the 3-4 defenses, because they dominated up front. It all starts up front.

And thats what I don't see in Dallas this year. I haven't seen the front 3 do what they need to do to the offensive line. They don't generate that push that can allow their ILBs to come unblocked on the blitz, they don't occupy the tackles so the OLBs can come unblocked off the edge, theyre not occupying the linemen the way theyre supposed to.

They do enough to be very good, but theyre not doing enough to be dominant. Now a passive style is also the issue here with the Cowboys, but it doesn't excuse the fact that the front 3 aren't winning their individual assignments. Not consistently at least.

Now with experience of course the DEs can improve so maybe drafting DE doesn't necessarily solve the problem. But theres no doubt that the front 3 have not been playing up to par, and that must be improved upon in whatever way for the Dallas defense to take the next step.