Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Why Redman?

Why should we pencil him in as the starter? The only reason he is on the team is because of his connection to Petrino; prior to that he was watching games on his couch. Meanwhile Joey Harrington started under Mike Mularkey in Miami, and did fairly well I might add. And obviously Byron Leftwich has ties with Mike Smith and has shown to be decent in a run first offense. I think that either of those guys would be the starter, until whatever rookie is ready to become the franchise QB that is.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Mr. Myogi
Rookie

Mr. Myogi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Redman actually did well that's why. HARRINGTON sucks, period! Leftwich wasn't really given the chance to get his timing down with the players. I wouldn't have a problem if Leftwich or Redman or even Shockley came in to be that Franchise guy. All those guys are young enough and solid enough to handle a run first down your throat OFFENSE.

CUT HARRINGTON ASAP or give him a clip board.

*********"Wax on, Wax off Danielson"**********
Mr. Myogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't have him guarenteed to get the spot. As of RIGHT NOW he has to have the spot. He's the only one who played medicore.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

harrington wont get cut. of course with the new staff they are gonna re-evaluate all the players and set each with their own standards but you can't argue that redman outperformed, showed more composure, and simply ran the offense better than harrington and at times leftwich. considering his ties to mularkey, harrington probably has a slim advantage knowing his system better and such.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
harrington wont get cut. of course with the new staff they are gonna re-evaluate all the players and set each with their own standardsbut you can't argue that redman outperformed, showed more composure, and simply ran the offense better than harrington and at times leftwich. considering his ties to mularkey, harrington probably has a slim advantage knowing his system better and such.
That "offense" is the only reason he was even on an NFL roster. Now he doesn't have Petrino's system. Besides, he was awful (that is being kind) against the only capable defense that he faced as a starter.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would be shocked if Harrington stays around. I know you hate Petrino Shiv, but look at the production that Redman had. Also look at the ability to make the throws...he has it where Harrington lacks it. I know the deep ball doesn't come up much, but the deep out hell...the 5 yard out Harrington struggles with. It's just time to let him go. He talks well, he has EVERYTHING you'd want in a QB, except the ability to make the throws. I think Harrington could end up being a good coach because he's such a student of the game. But his arm just holds him back.

As far as Redman goes, he had production, and lots of it. Beyond that, he had the guys on the team behind him...they all rallied behind him when he was out there. THAT is the most overlooked aspect of what we're talking about in regards to QB. At the beginning of the season the guys played for Harrington, then after he repeatedly beat them, they quit. They never really played for Lefty...but that could change...was just too much drama around that situation...but Redman was someone who was there from the beginning of the season, hung in there and they played for that guy, they played as a unit. Also that's why Emmitt Thomas is still around, when you can get the guys to play for you, that's a guy you want to keep around, no matter what argument people want to make against him.

Redman for me is the starter RIGHT NOW...but I think by the time the season comes around if we still have Lefty he'll go into camp as the starter, Redman as the #2, Shockley as #3, and if we get a rookie at #4...possibly #3...

I don't see any reason for Harrington to be on this roster.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its really up for grabs right now. We would just assume that Redman keep his job right now. The only quality defense he played was also a top5 defense. He was making good throws and if he can learn the Murk offense, then I think he would do the best.

But you bring up good reason as to why the other guys could start. Harrington really has a shot to be a starter again.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
That "offense" is the only reason he was even on an NFL roster. Now he doesn't have Petrino's system. Besides, he was awful (that is being kind) against the only capable defense that he faced as a starter.
you may be right but you cant argue redman got rid of the ball quicker and more efficiently than harrington.

its really a shame. harrington is a casualty of just playing on bad teams with horrible O-lines too long. his psyche is just too rattled after getting sacked so much over the years and thats whats affecting the ability that he has.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
I would be shocked if Harrington stays around. I know you hate Petrino Shiv, but look at the production that Redman had.
He did decent again bad defenses, but against the Buccaneers was more indicative of his production if he was the starter full time. That is especially true since he won't be in his comfort zone in Petrino's offense.

Quote:
Also look at the ability to make the throws...he has it where Harrington lacks it.
Thanks for the laugh. Chris Redman definitely does not have arm strength.

Quote:
I know the deep ball doesn't come up much, but the deep out hell...the 5 yard out Harrington struggles with. It's just time to let him go. He talks well, he has EVERYTHING you'd want in a QB, except the ability to make the throws. I think Harrington could end up being a good coach because he's such a student of the game. But his arm just holds him back.
I won't disagree with that; however, it isn't as if Redman has an arm either.

Quote:
As far as Redman goes, he had production, and lots of it.
Everyone passed on the Saints and Cardinals. What he did in those games hardly impressed me.

Quote:
Beyond that, he had the guys on the team behind him...they all rallied behind him when he was out there. THAT is the most overlooked aspect of what we're talking about in regards to QB. At the beginning of the season the guys played for Harrington, then after he repeatedly beat them, they quit. They never really played for Lefty...but that could change...was just too much drama around that situation...but Redman was someone who was there from the beginning of the season, hung in there and they played for that guy, they played as a unit. Also that's why Emmitt Thomas is still around, when you can get the guys to play for you, that's a guy you want to keep around, no matter what argument people want to make against him.
How many games did Redman win? Don't act as if he rallied the troops.

Quote:
Redman for me is the starter RIGHT NOW...but I think by the time the season comes around if we still have Lefty he'll go into camp as the starter, Redman as the #2, Shockley as #3, and if we get a rookie at #4...possibly #3...

I don't see any reason for Harrington to be on this roster.
Considering that Chris Redman was out of the league until Petrino got an NFL job I see no reason why Redman should be on this roster either. He couldn't even make the Baltimore Ravens' as a QB. He did well in garbage time under his old coach, expecting anything more from him would be silly.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it's funny cause I could see Shockley winning the job possibly if we threw them all into a pot and picked them out by who did best with the starting unit of everyone else.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:37 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

its still early but i only expect a 5-11 or 6-10 next season. with our perrenial qb for the future sitting and learning, we can get a top 15 pick and focus on perhaps safety.

anything above 5 wins will be a pleasant surprise for me. i love low expectations.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Redman has the arm to make the throws. I'm not saying he's Carson Palmer or anything, but the guy has twice the arm Harrington has.

As far as winning games being rallying the troops...uh...did you not notice the play of the guys, the way they were in the huddle vs the way they were the rest of the season? I mean really...it was a different team on the offensive side of the ball. The Tampa game is a direct correlation with losing a coach, not having a playbook, and having to throw a gameplan together in virtually no time flat, from scratch...more than anything else.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

i dont know if any of you guys knew this but apparently redman defended petrino's abandonment of the team. i still agree with oxy that the team did seem to rally behind him as their qb. they had gone through too many qb changes anyways so that may be why.