Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM    (permalink
VernonLawson89
Veteran

VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Jared Allen wants to be a 49er

Super Bowl XLII blog: Allen has eye on 49ers
The top free agent in the NFL wants to play for the 49ers.

Defensive end Jared Allen, who is scheduled for unrestricted free agency with the Kansas City Chiefs, attended Los Gatos High. He grew up a Raiders fan, but he prefers to play for the 49ers.

"Jared would welcome the opportunity to play in front of his hometown crowd," said Ken Harris, Allen's agent. "His family is up north. I have no doubt there is a high level of interest in playing (for the 49ers)."

Allen made similar comments yesterday to radio hosts Lamont and Tonelli of 107.7 The Bone, telling them he'd like to play for the 49ers.

However, a lot of pieces would have to fall into place for him to end up with the 49ers. After all, the Chiefs are expected to tag Allen as their franchise player with a tender of $8.9 million. That means any team wishing to sign Allen would have to cough up two first-round draft picks. The Chiefs could also make him an "exclusive" franchise player for a higher price and wipe out his ability to negotiate with other teams.

"It's the worst-kept secret in the NFL that the Chiefs are going to franchise him," Harris said. "But Jared has already said that if he plays on the franchise tender, he will never do a long-term deal with them."

Allen is regarded as one of the NFL's premier defenders. He recorded a league-high 15.5 sacks last season, led the league in passes batted down at the line of scrimmage and ranked at the top of the league in solo tackles from defensive ends.

If the Chiefs fail to sign Allen to a long-term contract by July 15, they could retain him for two seasons with back-to-back franchise tenders for a combined cost of more than $20 million.

Allen was a fourth-round pick from Idaho State who was selected more for his ability as a long-snapper. However, he quickly developed into a dangerous defender. He has 43 sacks in four seasons.
VernonLawson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL... and play what? OLB??? Hardy har har!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It really doesn't matter what he wants at this point. Say hello to another year with the franchise tag Mr. Allen.

Quote:
Allen was a fourth-round pick from Idaho State who was selected more for his ability as a long-snapper. However, he quickly developed into a dangerous defender. He has 43 sacks in four seasons.
Didn't know that. From long snapper to a premiere defensive end. Not bad :)

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is just agent talk trying to get the best deal he can for his player.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:29 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Doesn't really matter bc he is going to get tagged. But if he did come to the 49ers they would have to make the switch to a 4-3. Using him at 3-4 DE or OLB would probably put him in a situation where he wouldn't succeed.

A 4-3 with Patrick Willis, two big fat NT's as DT's a passrushing RE and a solid LE would be like the dominant Ravens defense all over again.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveen View Post
It really doesn't matter what he wants at this point. Say hello to another year with the franchise tag Mr. Allen.
Bingo. I'm sure he'd like to come play for his hometown team, and the Niners could certainly use a pass rusher (though I doubt Allen would be the best fit at OLB in a 3-4), he'll probably never hit the market. Just empty chatter, IMO.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He would be an upgrade from Tully Banta Cain..

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally feel that the 49ers should make a switch to a 4-3 defense anyway. When you have a special talent at MIKE like the 49ers have, you want to create a defense around him that will maximize his potential.

Having that kind of money invested in a 3-4 ILB is counterproductive in today's league. In a 4-3 defense, its acceptable. In fact, its welcomed.

Considering there really aren't any pieces in that defense worth a damn outside of Willis, Clements, and Lawson (who can be used in a Peterson type of role) I see a switch to a 4-3 as a wise move. That of course requires Mike Nolan getting fired, which shouldve already happened.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 PM    (permalink
NIMV
Rookie

NIMV hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is very funny because I don't remember the last time when a free agent wanted to join our team.

About tag, he said don't want to resign a long term deal, so next offseason will be ours just how we did with Clements and soon with Briggs.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMV View Post
This is very funny because I don't remember the last time when a free agent wanted to join our team.

About tag, he said don't want to resign a long term deal, so next offseason will be ours just how we did with Clements and soon with Briggs.
If you guys plan on keeping a 3-4 defense, signing Briggs is idiotic. Why invest so much money into the ILB position in a 3-4 defense? Thats moronic. Thats the one position on a 3-4 defense where you want to save money.

Even in a 4-3 defense, i rather invest more money on the dline than have 2 high priced linebackers.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Keep dreaming. I can give you three links that have Jared Allen saying he loves the Chiefs,staff and fans and doesn't want to leave this is just him an his agent trying to avoid the tag and get a long term deal done.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:42 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I personally feel that the 49ers should make a switch to a 4-3 defense anyway. When you have a special talent at MIKE like the 49ers have, you want to create a defense around him that will maximize his potential.

Having that kind of money invested in a 3-4 ILB is counterproductive in today's league. In a 4-3 defense, its acceptable. In fact, its welcomed.

Considering there really aren't any pieces in that defense worth a damn outside of Willis, Clements, and Lawson (who can be used in a Peterson type of role) I see a switch to a 4-3 as a wise move. That of course requires Mike Nolan getting fired, which shouldve already happened.
I agree with every word, but I do like Nolan as a coach for some reason. I just think that if he was as good of a defensive coach as we thought he was that he'd recognize that he should switch to a 4-3.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:56 AM    (permalink
sup3rdup3r
Rookie

sup3rdup3r hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.sup3rdup3r hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
Keep dreaming. I can give you three links that have Jared Allen saying he loves the Chiefs,staff and fans and doesn't want to leave this is just him an his agent trying to avoid the tag and get a long term deal done.
Well, if you want to keep him longterm you better not franchise him
Quote:
"It's the worst-kept secret in the NFL that the Chiefs are going to franchise him," Harris said. "But Jared has already said that if he plays on the franchise tender, he will never do a long-term deal with them."
sup3rdup3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

"But Jared has already said that if he plays on the franchise tender, he will never do a long-term deal with them."

That means nothing at this point Lance Briggs any one players say all kinds of stuff when they are working on a new deal.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I agree with every word, but I do like Nolan as a coach for some reason. I just think that if he was as good of a defensive coach as we thought he was that he'd recognize that he should switch to a 4-3.
I like his personality, and the attitude he brings to the team. But his personnel decisions have been horrible. And the defense isn't being built properly, as well as the offense.

For a team that spent a lot of money "improving their roster", i don't see it at all. There is still a glaring lack of talent on that team, on both sides of the ball.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like his personality, and the attitude he brings to the team. But his personnel decisions have been horrible. And the defense isn't being built properly, as well as the offense.

For a team that spent a lot of money "improving their roster", i don't see it at all. There is still a glaring lack of talent on that team, on both sides of the ball.
Actually his decisions have not been that bad. He's made some pretty impressive choices, the ball really just hasn't bounced his way.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Actually Marques Douglas and Michael Lewis played very well. Actually the entire defense wasn't that bad. They were just always on the field. The only starters that weren't really doing anything special last year was Tully Banta Cain and Derek Smith. Sopoaga wasn't that great either.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:42 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

Quote:

The Chiefs will franchise him and then try to work out a long term deal. He knows that he has to be tagged in order for us to keep him off the market. Our owner has said resigning Jared is our #1 priority and with over $20 million in cap room we have plenty of space to do so.

Sorry but Jared is never playing for your team.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:45 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup3rdup3r View Post
Well, if you want to keep him longterm you better not franchise him
That's if he has to play under a franchise tender. Believe it or not, teams still franchise players and sign them to long term contracts later that offseason.

And even if he did refuse to sign a long term contract our front office would never let him leave town without decent compensation in return. Any team who wants him would have to at least give up their 1st round pick and likely more.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:47 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Also just because he says something doesn't mean it is going to happen. Last year he said he would not sign his RFA tender until training camp yet he eventually changed his mind and showed up on time for minicamps.