Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:03 PM    (permalink
FloridaFootball
Veteran

FloridaFootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FloridaFootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Your feelings on NFL Networks game coverage?

I can't stand it anymore, they need to get better announcers, these guys constantly call players numbers wrong. Talk while the ref is calling a penalty and have a lack of football knowledge.

Is this just me being an idiot or are there others that feel the NFL Network should leave this stuff to FOX and CBS.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think it would be sweet if it were Marshall and Deion up there instead of Gumbel and Collinsworth. I mean, Deion is a pimp and Marshall is the man, where as Gumbel sounds like a 6 year old and Collinsworth is either on his A game or is failing horribly and his average this year is probably around a 35%, like he and Gumbel have been pretty bad in a couple games this year.

We want Marshall and Deion!! I hope Faulk retires or signs as a coach with the option of playing a few downs if they feel like it in the off season, I just thought that when Vermeil had to leave Deion and Marshall made it a lot better and I thought they were more fun to listen to than pretty much every comentator in the league.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm against the NFL Network because I can't afford the additional channels to get it.

I saw a commercial to call your congressman about it earlier.
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:53 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like seeing a game on Thursday, but these announcers make it hard to watch. Gumbel is awful.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
I like seeing a game on Thursday, but these announcers make it hard to watch. Gumbel is awful.
He's either the gayest straight guy, or straightest gay guy..

"Wow Chris, they trust us to do this?"
"Yes Brian, it's something special"

"Wow, Willie Parker just ran for 5 yards"
"He'll do that"

No emotion.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

In the States do you guys have to pay to see the Thursday and Saturday games?

In Canada we get them for free with normal cable on TSN (Canadian ESPN madly hockey oriented). It is quite the luxury.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost

In Canada we get them for free with normal cable on TSN (Canadian ESPN madly hockey oriented). It is quite the luxury.
Depends on who airs them... if it's CBS/Fox/ABC, i can get them no problem.. but NFL Network is in a package thats about 10-20 dollars more a month.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:04 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
I'm against the NFL Network because I can't afford the additional channels to get it.

At least you have the option. I couldn't get it if I wanted to(which I do). I Hate Time Warner Cable for this.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

Depends on who airs them... if it's CBS/Fox/ABC, i can get them no problem.. but NFL Network is in a package thats about 10-20 dollars more a month.
Daaang, I get everything free up North of the border. ABC, NBC, FOX, TSN(ESPN) and NFL Network games, anyone with basic cable gets it, well only the NFL Network games because they go on TSN for us for some sweet reason. I'm getting NFL Network some time before the draft though I think, it comes pretty cheap with my digital cable package, even cheaper if I upgrade to HD I believe.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Daaang, I get everything free up North of the border. ABC, NBC, FOX, TSN(ESPN) and NFL Network games, anyone with basic cable gets it, well only the NFL Network games because they go on TSN for us for some sweet reason. I'm getting NFL Network some time before the draft though I think, it comes pretty cheap with my digital cable package, even cheaper if I upgrade to HD I believe.
You guys also get Government paid Healthcare and college right, eh?

j/k. But down here they'll do anything to squeeze out an extra dollar.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:21 AM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1 word: disgraceful

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:31 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love the Thursday games. Absolutley hate the announcers.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:37 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pissed about it because I don't have satellite, thus I do not have the NFL Network. I believe that satellite is more common up North than in the South. It's frustrating because absolutely no one I know has satellite, they all have cable so I can't watch the game. The common man gets screwed again in a corporate power struggle.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:52 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

same here but I also have to watch the NFC East (Eagles, Cowboys, Gaints, and Redskins) and the Bills. Talking about the NFL Network thing i love the start of the game its cool.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:03 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

same here but I also have to watch the NFC East (Eagles, Cowboys, Gaints, and Redskins) and the Bills. Talking about the NFL Network thing i love the start of the game its cool.
Damnit, I wish we could trade places that is not the case in Houston where the televised games are Texans games and then whatever the national game is that afternoon and at night.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:57 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Congress has no business being involved in it.

And I think the presentation of the games is really good. Just get some decent announcers in there, and it's a far better product than what CBS/Fox/ESPN put out.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Stats
Veteran

Stats hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Gumbel sucks azz but I'm not complaining cause it's football.
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:15 AM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Quote:

And I think the presentation of the games is really good. Just get some decent announcers in there, and it's a far better product than what CBS/Fox/ESPN put out.

Congress is getting involved to thwart the monopolistic tendencies that the NFL Network is giving the NFL. If NFL Network was a regular cable channel this is not an issue, but the NFL has is as a premium channel. Not to mention that the NFL airing its games takes away games from channels with TV contracts thus another conflict. I, myself, have NFL Network with my digital cable but I would be in rage if I could get coverage of these moronic Thursday and Saturday night games. The NFL is pushing the envelope too far on the supply and demand concept and need to work out some sort of fair deal with all these various cable companies. And fire Gumbel and Collinsworth, Marshal and Deion were far superior and those other 2 buffoons make it hard to watch the game in peace.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:17 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Production and stuff, awesome. Commentating, yucky.

I'll give them a B. They do a very good job with the production (graphics, stats, camera work, etc) but Gumble is soooooo bad. He makes Joe Buck sound like Keith Jackson. :shock:

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default yep

Whoever said that Deion and Marshall did an excellent job when Vermeil went out is absolutely right. I am by no means an expert on football strategy but very rarely do I ever learn something new from the announcers. During that game Deion and Marshall made some excellent comments on subtle aspects of plays that I've never noticed before. They would be great as announcers. Someone give them a contract.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Default Re: yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komp
Whoever said that Deion and Marshall did an excellent job when Vermeil went out is absolutely right. I am by no means an expert on football strategy but very rarely do I ever learn something new from the announcers. During that game Deion and Marshall made some excellent comments on subtle aspects of plays that I've never noticed before. They would be great as announcers. Someone give them a contract.
I said that and I think that they should be the announcers for the NFL Network in a couple years and that is only because Faulk isn't even retired yet. Once he retires, if they are both still working for the NFL Network they should get them signed up to be in the booth along with someone who is a solid play-by-play guy who doesn't talk much about players just what is happening during the play and once it is over turns it over to Deion and Marshall. Just get Gumbel out of there and eventually Collinsworth who isn't as bad as Gumbel by comparison but still pretty bad. Deion and Marshall for president!
Old 12-23-2006, 02:21 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819
Quote:
Quote:

Congress is getting involved to thwart the monopolistic tendencies that the NFL Network is giving the NFL. If NFL Network was a regular cable channel this is not an issue, but the NFL has is as a premium channel. Not to mention that the NFL airing its games takes away games from channels with TV contracts thus another conflict. I, myself, have NFL Network with my digital cable but I would be in rage if I could get coverage of these moronic Thursday and Saturday night games. The NFL is pushing the envelope too far on the supply and demand concept and need to work out some sort of fair deal with all these various cable companies. And fire Gumbel and Collinsworth, Marshal and Deion were far superior and those other 2 buffoons make it hard to watch the game in peace.
The NFL is a business, and it’s a business that’s been giving away its product for a lot of years, and that wasn’t by choice, it was by an act of Congress. How many other American businesses have been forced to give away their product?
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:00 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819
Quote:
Quote:

The NFL is a business, and it’s a business that’s been giving away its product for a lot of years, and that wasn’t by choice, it was by an act of Congress. How many other American businesses have been forced to give away their product?

How exactly are they giving away there product? They have television contracts and get paid quite handsomely by them. The NFL is not losing money on television rights, they wanted their own network to drive up the prices of the current tv contracts and aren't fooling anyone.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is one of the most baffling statements I've ever read on this board.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:28 PM    (permalink

Bryan Gumbel sucks, other than that, I like it.