Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-02-2008, 01:37 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Expect Major Changes in personnel in Atlanta

Blank is projecting 23-30 million dollars in cap space to be available to the Falcons, more than they have ever had in their history.

This will happen through Vick's contract, as well as projected cuts...according to an AJC article which Blank spoke out about the future of the team, as well as his desires to bring MLS to Atlanta, as well as buying the Braves.

Its going to be pretty amazing to see what happens, if we really do end up with that 23 million to spend in cap space...that'd be HUGE. I believe that we would not only bring in Starks AND Faneca I think we'd make runs for Arizona WR Bryant Johnson as well as Karlos Dansby. Boley and Hall I expect to be re-signed as well. That is a WHOLE lot of money to spend, and Blank wants to turn this thing around. Also I could see Daunte Culpepper being looked at as well as seeing what kind of offers are out there for a Donnovan McNabb...

I expect Atlanta to be a major player in FA...I really had hoped we wouldn't be, but it also sounds like the Salary Cap in football is going to be short lived as well...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:40 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Also, knowing that, who are these big contract guys who are going to be gone to free up that space. Obviously Warrick's days are numbered, but likely the days of Brooking and possibly Weiner as well...I don't know, but sounds like its going to be major house cleaning around here.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:00 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im not intending to bring down your optimism but money isnt everything for a player. i know for sure that a guy like faneca isnt gonna come down to a team like the falcons who are in no way shape or form gonna be contenders for a few years just for a big contract. we need to make atlanta an appealing place to play. however, i would like karlos dansby the most in FA.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:10 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

You think that with the OC that drafted him he wouldn't consider coming here, if we go out and land some big names as well. We have some talent at the skill positions, we're lacking a RB and power in the trenches. If we spend that kind of money in Free Agency, honestly I think at that point Ellis would be the #1 but Matt Ryan would then be a viable option, if we could trade down a little bit to get him.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:38 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Okay, one more thing...I know it's very early, but lets say we spend a lot of money and sure up the offensive line, and even bring in an Albert Haynesworth, so both of the lines are shored up...do we take Mcfadden, or shock everyone with a Jonathan Stewart pick? He's a better back for what we want, him and Mendenhall would be I think the #1 and #2 back on our radar. I know it seems outlandish right now, but what if we ended up falling to the #5 pick, then deciding to bail out of there and go down to about 9 or 10...heck...even if we stick at the #5 position...could we shock everyone and take one of them over McFadden?
Old 02-02-2008, 05:58 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do not spend money on overpriced guys. I repeat. Do not spend money on top players in FA. Its so bad and can really set your franchise back. The only one that I remember working out well in the past couple of years is Drew Brees, Patrick Kerney.

Guys like Albert Haynesworth, Asante Samuels, and all those other guys demand so much money and usually never live up to it. Rather than that, get a young guy who has shown hints of being good. They are cheaper and have potential. Get some regular starters that wont require too much money.

I hate overspending in FA.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My god, if we don't bring DeAngelo Hall and Michael Boley back with this money.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:46 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, honestly. If Boley is not resigned, I quit.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Resign Hall Boley. Then sign Michael Turner, Grady Jackson, Daunte Cullpepper and Max Starks (who would be brought in as a RT/RG tweener).

Then you draft a LT in the first, a RT/RG in the 2nd (Carl Nicks) and a qb, and then finally Red Bryant in the 3rd.

If we did that Id say we could be contenders pretty quickly.

Ps. id really really love Carlos Dansby to come here too, but it aint gonna happen
Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Blank is projecting 23-30 million dollars in cap space to be available to the Falcons, more than they have ever had in their history.

This will happen through Vick's contract, as well as projected cuts...according to an AJC article which Blank spoke out about the future of the team, as well as his desires to bring MLS to Atlanta, as well as buying the Braves.
You said we were in salary cap hell just a week ago. Told you haha.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Okay, one more thing...I know it's very early, but lets say we spend a lot of money and sure up the offensive line, and even bring in an Albert Haynesworth, so both of the lines are shored up...do we take Mcfadden, or shock everyone with a Jonathan Stewart pick? He's a better back for what we want, him and Mendenhall would be I think the #1 and #2 back on our radar. I know it seems outlandish right now, but what if we ended up falling to the #5 pick, then deciding to bail out of there and go down to about 9 or 10...heck...even if we stick at the #5 position...could we shock everyone and take one of them over McFadden?
Haynesworth is going nowhere. The Tennessee Titans have like forty million dollars in cap space.

I like certain positions in free agency. I like safety, linebacker, defensive tackle, and offensive guard. Tailback, wide receiver, quarterback, offensive tackle, cornerback, and defensive end generally do not adapt fast enough (quarterback) or are getting out of their primes (WR, HB, OT, DE, CB).

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:33 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OT Max Starks - maybe
OG Alan Faneca - doubt it
WR Bryant Johnson - why?
LB Karlos Dansby - likely franchised
QB Daunte Culpepper - I wouldn't mind it.

Boley and Hall are working on long term deals as we are speaking..

a good free agent list to go off of:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents.php

guys who I would like to see us make runs at (not limited to just these guys of course)
QB - Rex Grossman/Quinn Gray/Billy Volek
RB - Michael Turner/Jamal Lewis/Greg Jones (JAX FB who was a RB at FSU)
WR - Devery Henderson (KR)/Tim Dwight (KR)
OT - Jordan Gross (RT)/Stacy Andrews (LT)/Max Starks (RT)
OG - Jacob Bell (RG)

DT - Corey Williams (NT)/Grady Jackson (NT)
LB - Karlos Dansby (MLB, if not franchised)
S - Gibril Wilson (FS)

K - Josh Brown/Lawrence Tynes

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dansby would be incredible. I think he is up there with Haynesworth in the "not shot in hell he leaves" category though.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:52 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Im really excited about the cap money hopefully we spend it carefully but I really dont understand the love affair with Max Starks the guy couldnt even start for his own team.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

trading down is not likely. dmc's stock has gone down and if he is on the board when we pick, i really dont see a team trading up to get him. i doubt a trade down will happen so there better be long on the board when we pick.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:58 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconsrule View Post
Im really excited about the cap money hopefully we spend it carefully but I really dont understand the love affair with Max Starks the guy couldnt even start for his own team.

If you are 6'8 340, you will get a look anywhere.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:07 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There will be a good # of teams with 20-30 million under the cap with the new CBA. It's not as if the Falcons will hold much, if any, advantage there.

Though Blank could certainly choose to spend his bucks more freely than others.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
You said we were in salary cap hell just a week ago. Told you haha.
You told me nothing...we are currently in cap hell...and making a flurry of moves like that, while it will free up that money now, we're going to be suffering pretty bad next year with all the dead money we'll have...
Old 02-03-2008, 04:25 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
guys who I would like to see us make runs at (not limited to just these guys of course)
QB - Rex Grossman/Quinn Gray/Billy Volek
RB - Michael Turner/Jamal Lewis/Greg Jones (JAX FB who was a RB at FSU)
WR - Devery Henderson (KR)/Tim Dwight (KR)
OT - Jordan Gross (RT)/Stacy Andrews (LT)/Max Starks (RT)
OG - Jacob Bell (RG)

DT - Corey Williams (NT)/Grady Jackson (NT)
LB - Karlos Dansby (MLB, if not franchised)
S - Gibril Wilson (FS)

K - Josh Brown/Lawrence Tynes
I would DESPISE Grossman Gray is intriguing, and Volek is just too old, but I like him for a short term answer.
Turner, great, Lewis, not anymore, Jones - STUD, I know I'm a homer, but I loved this guy, the only thing that held him back was that knee injury, he's 100% from that now, and we don't need a homerun back, we need a beast it up the middle and wear people down back, he'd be great for that.
WR - I'd be up for either of those...why not Johnson?
OT - Gross won't leave, Starks is my favorite, Andrews I don't know enough about.
OG - I'm happy with it if we move Forney.

K - There are some real good ones in the draft, and I don't really want Tynes.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Looks like we aren't getting Vick's 20 million. Wonder how it affects this.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:22 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Me too...that kinda pisses me off...how is that not fair that we get it back? I think even if he has to pay that money to him that the NFL should have a ruling in this situation that would allow the team to remove him from the salary cap, period, that salary will still be paid out of Blank's pockets, but would allow the team to not have to suffer for the bone headed move of 1 player...it seems really unfair to me...
Old 02-04-2008, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Vick has to give back 3.5 Million. That will help, but I doubt the team gets any "A-list" free agents.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:08 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

The vick decision is annoying, but frankly I don't really want A-list free agents. I'd much rather build through the draft, with a couple of mid-level FA guys here and there.