Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 AM    (permalink
jnew76
Pro Bowler

jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default If the Patriots franchise Moss will he become a malcontent?

Except for yesterday Moss had a dream season and went to his first Super Bowl. However, I think if the Patriots franchise him at this stage in his career they run the risk of making him unhappy and everyone has seen what kind of person he is when unhappy.

The Pats have a lot of UFA's. Signing Moss long term even at a discount might not be the most prudent move for a team that has shown they are the best Cap Managers in the league.

Lets assume for the moment that the Pats decide not to sign Randy long term... Would you rather let him walk, or Franchise him for one year?

Now, let's assume that the Patriots choose to sign Moss long term. Which of your UFA's do you let walk?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a similar question. I know the following players are UFAs for the Patriots:

LB Tedy Bruschi
LB Mike Vrabel
CB Randall G.ay
CB Asante Samuel
FS Eugene Wilson
WR Randy Moss
WR Troy Brown
CB Chad Scott

I also know the Patriots have the 7th overall pick and according to this article, the Patriots only have 41 players under contract with just short of $11 million in cap room. So my question is who do they keep, who do they let go, and if they make a move to give themselves more cap room, what will it be?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Chad Scott is still alive? He'll be gone, G.ay will be gone, Stallworth will be gone, freeing up 6 mil. Rosie Colvin will either have to restructure or be gone. The cap will go up.

I also have a hard time believing that many guys have contracts up and they only have 11 million available. Bruschi, Vrabel and Moss are locks to stay. Wilson and Samuel are 50/50.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Last edited by Bills2083 : 02-05-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Chad Scott is still alive? He'll be gone, G.ay will be gone, Stallworth will be gone, freeing up 6 mil. Rosie Colvin will either have to restructure or be gone. The cap will go up.

I also have a hard time believing that many guys have contracts up and they only have 11 million available. Bruschi, Vrabel and Moss are locks to stay. Wilson and Samuel are 50/50.
Exactly, couldnt have said it better.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

The article said it was projected 2008 cap room, meaning the increase in cap was accounted for in that. I figured Stallworth would be gone (one I've already heard), but if it's only $6 million as you say, that's a total of $17 million to resign all those players and the #7 overall pick.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
The article said it was projected 2008 cap room, meaning the increase in cap was accounted for in that. I figured Stallworth would be gone (one I've already heard), but if it's only $6 million as you say, that's a total of $17 million to resign all those players and the #7 overall pick.
Guys like Stallworth and Washington are either going to be on their way out, or restructuring their contracts.

Ive also heard that Brady may be restructuring his contract as well. I thought I heard he is due about 14 million this year.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

There will be a lot of restructuring going on. I just have a hard time believing that figure not only accounts for the cap going up, but also accounts for all those guys coming off the books. Asante alone is 8 mil.

But cutting Colvin and Stallworth saves almost 14 million in cap space alone. And they're not keeping #7. So I am not too worried.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
Guys like Stallworth and Washington are either going to be on their way out, or restructuring their contracts.

Ive also heard that Brady may be restructuring his contract as well. I thought I heard he is due about 14 million this year.
http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...ore_decisions/

an excerpt from it...

Does quarterback Tom Brady's contract need to be addressed? Few could dispute that Brady is the most important piece of the Patriots' puzzle, so any offseason plans should always start with him. He has three years remaining on his contract, and while Brady has never been one to quibble with his pay, like anyone else it behooves him to make sure he's at least at market rates. Considering that Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell signed a six-year, $61 million deal with about $30 million in bonuses and guarantees as the No. 1 overall draft choice in 2007, it would not be a surprise if Brady approaches the team about an extension that could lift him closer to the top of the quarterback market and also ensure that he spend the rest of his career with New England. So Brady, whose salary cap charge is high at $14.6 million for 2008, will serve as the first domino this offseason. -- Boston Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Ah! Mike Vrabel is not a free agent. I knew that one looked wrong... I'm not even remotely worried anymore. Kelley Washington, Rosie Colvin and Dante Stallworth free up 20 mil on their own, then there's another 4 mil that can be saved by extending Brady. They can resign Moss and Asante and still have enough to bring back Bruschi and bring in a few new guys. Money won't be a problem.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:51 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think Moss gives much of a damn about money or contracts, all he wants to do is get a ring. I don't think he'd complain about making 8+ million dollars, or whatever it is for a wideout, for as good a shot as any at winning a ring.

This isn't a money grubbing attention ***** like Terrell Owens. Moss has restructured his contract time and time again for more than 1 team, and he restructured his giant contract to a small meager 1 year deal to play with the Pats to begin with.

Plus, he said he wants to stay with the Pats and he won't break Mr. Kraft's bank. Thus, I think this is a dumb question.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote