Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: Better Trade Option for DeAngelo Hall
Shaun Rogers, 45th overall pick via Detroit Lions 1 10.00%
31st overall pick, 62nd overall pick via New York Giants 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2008, 12:35 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default DeAngelo Hall Options

These seem to me realistic options, if a bit hopeful. Anything less would be dumb in my opinion. Rodgers was being shopped for a second round pick, which is not as much as a 31st overall. But he would provide more immediate impact and if in shape is probably as good as Sedrick Ellis from Southern Cal University or Glenn Dorsey from Louisiana State University. The 45th pick is also better than the 62nd overall pick.

Personally, I like the Giants option of a first and second round pick. Rodgers is lazy and going on 29 years old. We need to get younger and having six picks in the first seventy picks would be great.

Next Up: 2012

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 02-24-2008 at 12:42 PM.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

id def take the Giants trade.
Rogers could be really good if he wasnt so lazy
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:49 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If I have to choose one of those pathetic options I take the Giants'
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both Suck, Falcons need to find a better option.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:53 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
If I have to choose one of those pathetic options I take the Giants'
You have too high of expectations. He will not garner two first round picks.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I have a feeling there are going to be like five Falcons fans on these boards after this trade is over.

Honestly, I am expecting a first round pick and a third round pick.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:03 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Here's a MUCH better scenario and an actual possibility.

Atlanta Trades:
#3 overall pick
Deangelo Hall

Dallas Trades:
#22 overall
#28 overall
RB - Marion Barber

Okay...people are saying they were going to use those picks to move up to the #1 spot for McFadden anyway...why not give them their wish and do it there? Falcons essentially trade #3 for Marion Barber and #28 and the and Deangelo Hall for #22...

Plus both players are due contracts...possible that Dallas would have to throw in something additional...maybe a 3rd round pick...4th rounder...something like that.

Also there is talk of Atlanta sending their 7th round pick to Denver for RB-Mike Bell out of Arizona...would be a WONDERFUL trade imo.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Here's a MUCH better scenario and an actual possibility.

Atlanta Trades:
#3 overall pick
Deangelo Hall

Dallas Trades:
#22 overall
#28 overall
RB - Marion Barber

Okay...people are saying they were going to use those picks to move up to the #1 spot for McFadden anyway...why not give them their wish and do it there? Falcons essentially trade #3 for Marion Barber and #28 and the and Deangelo Hall for #22...

Plus both players are due contracts...possible that Dallas would have to throw in something additional...maybe a 3rd round pick...4th rounder...something like that.

Also there is talk of Atlanta sending their 7th round pick to Denver for RB-Mike Bell out of Arizona...would be a WONDERFUL trade imo.
Do you know how bad we would be getting ripped off? That trade, excluding DeAngelo Hall and Marion Barber, leaves the value at 1,440 to 2,200, us being 2,200. That would mean Marion Barber would have to be worth DeAngelo Hall (no, he is not) and a late first round draft pick (he is not).

Old 02-24-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

You guys are crazy if you think your getting any more then a single 1st for Hall. Randy Moss was dealt for a 4th. Steve McNair a few years back was dealt for a 4th. Wes Welker who is the league leader in receptions was dealt for a 2nd.

With the mess Hall created in the Carolina game plus his problems with his coaching and now his outbursts against the entire Falcons organization itself, there's now way any team is gonna trade that much for him. Too much risk involved for him to be worth anything more then a single 1st.

The only concrete offer I think they've had is the 31st overall from NY and I know my Dolphins were talking to them about offering the 32nd overall (1st pick of round 2) and maybe another lower pick or a player. Don't expect much more then that tho.

Teams value draft picks too much to throw them away on players that come with as much baggage as Hall has shown over the last season.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:40 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Do you know how bad we would be getting ripped off? That trade, excluding DeAngelo Hall and Marion Barber, leaves the value at 1,440 to 2,200, us being 2,200. That would mean Marion Barber would have to be worth DeAngelo Hall (no, he is not) and a late first round draft pick (he is not).
But you're the one telling me he's not worth what I say he is...and that's he's not as valuable blah blah blah.

I also said that Dallas may have to throw in a 3rd rounder...but when you look at it from an ACTUAL value standpoint...The trade makes sense...maybe not as much now that McFadden ran a 4.27 but...
Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
But you're the one telling me he's not worth what I say he is...and that's he's not as valuable blah blah blah.

I also said that Dallas may have to throw in a 3rd rounder...but when you look at it from an ACTUAL value standpoint...The trade makes sense...maybe not as much now that McFadden ran a 4.27 but...
Two firsts and Barber alone are not worth the number three overall pick. Throwing in Hall would be team suicide.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:16 PM    (permalink
catcher_0_3
Rookie

catcher_0_3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Personally, I think D. Hall brings us at least the value of a first round pick and more. McNair, Welker, and Moss were not the self proclaimed best corner in the league. The thing about D. Hall announcing he will not play next year is that it puts the Falcons in a corner. Now the suitors know the Falcons have to trade his so they can offer less. I see a team out of the NFC east giving us a pretty good deal. If we can get a first, I would be even more inclined to take Run DMC with the 3 pick, he ran a damn 4.27!
catcher_0_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

HALL AND SMITH SEEN HUDDLED UP IN PEACE TALKS Falcons head coach Mike Smith and embattled cornerback DeAngelo Hall met Sunday morning. The two were seen sitting side-by-side in deep discussion over the cornerback’s future. After the public trade demand by Hall and Smith’s comments that followed, both sides wanted the dust to settle and were not ready to comment about their talk.

Take it for what it worth but like I said I think it was a misunderstanding that took place hopefully we can talk some sense into Hall and he stays.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I want to hear an apoligetic statement by DeAngelo Hall. That is the only way hostilities will be over, and no drama will occur.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:10 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Oh PLEASE let us keep D-Hall...as much fun as it is to mock draft with 2 extra picks...PLEASE let us keep him.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:21 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

However, I only want to keep him if we can re-sign him to a long-term contract. Otherwise it is delaying the inevitable.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:59 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I want to hear an apoligetic statement by DeAngelo Hall. That is the only way hostilities will be over, and no drama will occur.
When was the last time you heard Hall apologise? Even after the Smith incident he tried to maintain that he was the victim...
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Eh, he somewhat apoligised after the game, saying his head got hot and he was just emotional.

But I see what you're saying.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Self Rider

We will be 3-13 without him and 4-12 with him.

I say get something in return for him for the future.

Last edited by Self Rider : 02-25-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I'd rather have him than not have him, he's a special talent.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Self Rider

That's great if it were that simple.

We will have to pay him a lot of money for the next 3 years knowing we aren't going to win anything in that time.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:37 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

That's fine...we're going to have to pay anyone a lot of money...and we could win not this year as easily, but next
Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Rider View Post
That's great if it were that simple.

We will have to pay him a lot of money for the next 3 years knowing we aren't going to win anything in that time.

Why pay anyone at all then? You have to pony up no matter what if you want to put a half way comptetive team on the field.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:59 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

The point is that the money paid to Hall is money not paid to other parts of the team. Occasionally a team has to ask itself whether it'd rather have three B+ players or one A+ player and two C players. One A+ player who has serious character flaws, even if not criminal ones.

There are three major variables, none of which we actually know, though we can make an educated guess:

1. How much we would have to pay Hall to make him stay
2. How much we can get for Hall in a trade
3. Whether he can even be persuaded to stay

I don't know how those three variables fit together, so I'm not going to get in a tizzy about whether our front office decide that we have to trade him. They're not trying to ruin the team, and they have plenty of information that we don't.

Those who want to support other teams are free to do so.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

The bigger question may be: if he leaves, how do we replace him?

Obviously Asante Samuel is the obvious answer, but: a) at least 10 other teams will be throwing money at him, and b) I don't actually think he's worth that much money. He's good, but not great, and might not be the same player outside of Belicheat's system.

There are no other number 1 corners in FA, so we'd effectively we moving Houston to #1 (he may struggle somewhat, but I think we can write off this year, and look to the future, in which I think Houston can be a very good #1).

Then it's a question of who is #2. In free agency, the next best options are Randy G ay and Reynaldo Hill and Drayton Florence. I'm not particularly happy with any of those three guys, though I suppose they'd do in a pinch.

Ideally, Jimmy Williams would suddenly emerge as a good, or even just decent, corner in Smith's system. It's not impossible, but I think we have to proceed on the basis that JW is not going to contribute, and it's an unexpected bonus if he does...

That leaves the draft. It's a very deep class in CB, though perhaps without elite talent. That actually gives us some flexibility, and there are corners to suit any system at various different points in the draft.

If we do trade Hall, the only pick in the first three rounds where we definitely won't pick a corner is #3. We could grab a guy like Talib, Jenkins or DRC with the pick garnered from Hall.

Personally, I'd most like to pick up Brandon Flowers in the late 2nd. He's got great instincts, which will help him to start straight away, and he's very physical against the run. He's not got elite speed, but we've already got Houston to match up against speedsters. Someone like Cason might also work, maybe in the 3rd.

If we got a 1st and 3rd for Hall, I'd be looking at:

#3: Ellis / Dorsey DT
1b: Brohm / Flacco QB
2a: Collins / Baker LT
2b: Flowers CB
3a: Smith / Rice / Forte RB
3b: Benedict / Schuening OG
4: Cottam / Davis TE