Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Cardinals, Fitzgerald struggling to reach contract extension

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10669535/1

Quote:
The Cardinals have put themselves into a tough situation with Fitzgerald, their star player, because he has hit accelerators in his contract that raise his salary to $14.6 million in 2008 and $17.4 million in 2009. Even with the cap at $116 million, that's way too much money for one player.
Quote:
So far, Fitzgerald and agent Eugene Parker have balked at the deal, which is leading to the showdown Friday. The Cardinals have offered Fitzgerald $25 million in guaranteed money, but he wants more than the $32.5 million in guarantees that Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson got last year. But that guaranteed money was paid on a six-year deal. Parker wants more on a four-year deal.
Fitzgerald is making the right choice. He can get 32 million, and then get a big contract after his current one runs out.

This contract has really turned out in the worst possible scenario for the Cardinals.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 02-27-2008 at 08:03 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well looking at the incentives he hit, from the beginning you wouldnt think his chances of hitting all of them would be that high, but he did and so the contract ended up being huge after the fact...

I hear they were considering offers at the combine to see what they could possibly land for him, doubt he leaves, but they were supposedly exercising options, just in case he is to leave, might as well see what you can bring in for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem is the rookies getting so much damn money. Their getting paid more then proven veterans. No way at this point in time should Calvin be getting paid more then Fitz and alot of other WR's

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 PM    (permalink
DraftKidWonder
Rookie

DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.DraftKidWonder wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I hope it gets worked. Larry-Fit's my favorite player and should stay or go to the Packers. But the Csrdinals have no one to blame but themselves.
DraftKidWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
I hope it gets worked. Larry-Fit's my favorite player and should stay or go to the Packers. But the Csrdinals have no one to blame but themselves.
Blame is definitely the wrong word, if anything the Cardinals should be patting themselves on the back for making a good pick, Fitz just happened to reach every incentive on his rookie contract, if you want to blame someone blame the NFL, causing losing teams to pay unproven rookies a ton of money doesn't help a team stop losing, The Lions are a great example of this with all there early 1st round busts

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Blame is definitely the wrong word, if anything the Cardinals should be patting themselves on the back for making a good pick, Fitz just happened to reach every incentive on his rookie contract, if you want to blame someone blame the NFL, causing losing teams to pay unproven rookies a ton of money doesn't help a team stop losing, The Lions are a great example of this with all there early 1st round busts
You can't blame the NFL. I dont' think that the NFL WANTS to give a ton of money to a rookie, but if they don't, their star players holdout and the organization looks bad and the rookie loses out on valuable experience.

If you are going to blame someone, blame the NFLPA who won't agree to slotted rookie pay scales.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no love View Post
You can't blame the NFL. I dont' think that the NFL WANTS to give a ton of money to a rookie, but if they don't, their star players holdout and the organization looks bad and the rookie loses out on valuable experience.

If you are going to blame someone, blame the NFLPA who won't agree to slotted rookie pay scales.
That's actually want I meant, thanks for correcting me

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trade Fitzgerald for Roy Williams.

Do it.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:21 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Trade Fitzgerald for Roy Williams.

Do it.
I approve.

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 PM    (permalink
azbmxican

I wouldn't. No need to disrupt team chemistry for both teams.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:21 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be over joyed if Dallas could get him, and this makes it look like there is at least a prayer of it happening.

But yes, there are a ton of problems with the way these rookie contracts end up. Its getting to the point where you almost don't even want a top 5 pick. I mean, you aren't going to see much better numbers from any WR in their first 4 years, but even with all that, he isn't worth what he has "earned" based upon his initial contract. Now he is going back and saying "hey, look what this unproven rook just got, I'm better than him, so I should get paid more than him, right?"

Its a wicked cycle that has seemingly no end in sight. To me, this is probably the single biggest problem with the NFL today, and one of the very few areas in which the NBA has handled its business better. Basically, unless its a QB we're talking about (or maybe a OT), then any player taken in the top 5 of the draft immediately becomes the highest paid player in the league at his position....huh?
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no love View Post

I have to agree.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 AM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
I have to agree.

why?

It's getting to the point where your unproven rookies are the highest paid players on your team...meanwhile, your probowl running back or wide receiver are making 15-17 million in guaranteed money and your rookie is making 32 million...

if the NFL had a pay scale for rookies there wouldn't be this problem...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM    (permalink
DragonMekha
Veteran

DragonMekha hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Come on Fitz,come to Philly ^_^ You said you would want to play here,we definetly NEED you here.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

An interesting note from Rotoworld:

The team will be seriously handicapped and out of the mix for any big free agent names (i.e. Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace) with no restructuring in place.

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 AM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveen View Post
An interesting note from Rotoworld:

The team will be seriously handicapped and out of the mix for any big free agent names (i.e. Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace) with no restructuring in place.
exactly, which is the reason I think they would be willing to deal him (even though they said they won't)...if he doesn't restructure, he's basically holding the progression of the team hostage...they can't really get any better....which is quite funny because it's not his fault either...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:51 PM    (permalink
RedAttack
Rookie

RedAttack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Update: As of today the two sides are closer. The deal is going to be 5 years in length. They are about 2mil apart at the moment.

Last edited by RedAttack : 02-28-2008 at 05:57 PM.
RedAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:52 PM    (permalink
RedAttack
Rookie

RedAttack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Double post.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:25 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

the nfl has to take some of the blame as they signed the aggreement. With giving up a significant increase in salary cap they shouldn't have had this problem with rookie salaries.