Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Randy Starks? But I thought Miami was actually trying to improve.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:19 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

Starks can be a good rotational guy...but they paid too much money for him...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:23 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, since this thread is sticking around, I guess I'll comment here as well.

I like the moves. Gotta love Ferguson for a 6th swap and a future 6th. Solid veteran move.

McCown? Solid stopgap QB. Buys time for Ryan, Flacco, another prospect ... or even Beck. Although with McCown there and the likelihood high of drafting a QB, I'd shop Beck to see if I could get anything.

Wilford? Fine possession target.

Starks? Underachiever, but a try in the 3-4 could be intriguing with his skillset.

Torbor? I'm thinking OLB, and I'm thinking adios Joey Porter.

David Kircus? no thoughts there.

Smiley? Well, 3/5th of the OL is there now. Of course, the LT spot is the key.

I think the most telling thing will be if they sign Pace. If that's the case, it screams Taylor is being moved for picks ... and it could also scream that OLB isn't the direction at 1.

A lot of intriguing moves so far, and steps in the right direction.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Why would you want Jacques Reeves? He is arguably the worst corner in the NFL, and is constantly picked on in coverage.
Have you met Jason David? Guess not.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Well, since this thread is sticking around, I guess I'll comment here as well.

I like the moves. Gotta love Ferguson for a 6th swap and a future 6th. Solid veteran move.

McCown? Solid stopgap QB. Buys time for Ryan, Flacco, another prospect ... or even Beck. Although with McCown there and the likelihood high of drafting a QB, I'd shop Beck to see if I could get anything.

Wilford? Fine possession target.

Starks? Underachiever, but a try in the 3-4 could be intriguing with his skillset.

Torbor? I'm thinking OLB, and I'm thinking adios Joey Porter.

David Kircus? no thoughts there.

Smiley? Well, 3/5th of the OL is there now. Of course, the LT spot is the key.

I think the most telling thing will be if they sign Pace. If that's the case, it screams Taylor is being moved for picks ... and it could also scream that OLB isn't the direction at 1.

A lot of intriguing moves so far, and steps in the right direction.

It's already been reported numerous times that Parcells has already sat down and spoken with Jason Taylor and that they are on the same page and Taylor will be a Dolphin next season. Barring some team offering a 1st and another pick, or something crazy, he's here next year.

Don't see why Titan fans are all up on arms about the money we gave Starks. I'd take him over Tommy Kelly any day. Oh course the guy has problem with his game and he doesn't give consistent effort. I wouldn't expect a 24 year old kid with his physical ability to hit the open market if he didn't have some issues.

What's stopping the kid from maturing as he reaches his mid 20s and starts hitting his prime? He only got 7 million guaranteed so it's not like we will be set back at all if we cut him. He's got great physical tools, he's a young kid and your risk is limited with a small amount of guaranteed money so it's worth a gamble on him to see if he handles a move to 3-4 DE well.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Have you met Jason David? Guess not.
Its actually debatable, both guys are horrible but at least David has shown he can be a good cover 2 corner...I cant believe Reeves is about to get signed to man schemes, he really is HORRIBLE in man to man, he cant press off the line, he cant play off he wr, doesnt know how to shade, he's basically gotta be a depth guy 4th or 5th corner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Has anyone heard anything on Eugene Wilson? I thought he'd be a hot name today.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...tory?track=rss

Hold up on Calvin Pace to the Dolphins is that Pace wants to get paid as much as Joey Porter and the Dolphins said now. Good thing too, Porter got a rediculous contract. Glad to see Parcells and Ireland are making moderately priced signings and building the depth and talent base of the team. They haven't grossly overpaid for anyone either. The biggest amount they gave out was 9 million guaranteed and considering guys like Jeff Faine are getting 15 million guaranteed and Gibirl Wilson is getting 16 million guaranteed, I feel really good but the Dolphins moves and the amount they paid out for who they got.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...tory?track=rss

Hold up on Calvin Pace to the Dolphins is that Pace wants to get paid as much as Joey Porter and the Dolphins said now. Good thing too, Porter got a rediculous contract. Glad to see Parcells and Ireland are making moderately priced signings and building the depth and talent base of the team. They haven't grossly overpaid for anyone either. The biggest amount they gave out was 9 million guaranteed and considering guys like Jeff Faine are getting 15 million guaranteed and Gibirl Wilson is getting 16 million guaranteed, I feel really good but the Dolphins moves and the amount they paid out for who they got.
You should feel good about those moves. Solid serviceable players.

But let's not go overboard... Starks isn't as good as Tommy Kelly when Kelly is healthy.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Has anyone heard anything on Eugene Wilson? I thought he'd be a hot name today.
I heard the Jaguars were looking at him...nothing substantial though
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't write anything in stone on Jason Taylor just yet. He very well could stay, but it's far too soon to make that judgement despite whatever meetings have occurred.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
You should feel good about those moves. Solid serviceable players.

But let's not go overboard... Starks isn't as good as Tommy Kelly when Kelly is healthy.
I didn't say Starks is Tommy Kelly. I was just making the point that I'd rather have Starks at his rate of pay then Kelly at his rate of pay.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:52 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if any of the 'Boys fans remember this, but Parcells had commented several times during his tenure with the Cowboys that he badly wanted Wilford coming out. Now with the Smiley signing, I think this confirms what we already knew: Bill always gets his man. Its this very thing that makes me believe he is more than capable of offering a king's ransom for Marion Barber if he decides he wants him. Great signings so far.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:29 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09
Don't see why Titan fans are all up on arms about the money we gave Starks. I'd take him over Tommy Kelly any day. Oh course the guy has problem with his game and he doesn't give consistent effort. I wouldn't expect a 24 year old kid with his physical ability to hit the open market if he didn't have some issues.
If you're puzzled as to why we're shocked about Starks getting a nice contract, it's that he doesn't deserve it whatsoever. He gives absolutely no effort, and can't gain leverage to save his life. You know the Denver/Titans MNF game this past season, and how Haynesworth was out and our DT's were Randy Starks and Tony Brown? Denver broke long run after long run, and it's because Starks would just get pushed out of the way. He played very poorly last year.

It's obvious that this contract was based on ability, not production or reputation. And after his couple of years in the NFL, one would think that he's hit his ceiling or reached his potential. Hopefully for the Dolphins' sake, he somehow does better in a 3-4.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:39 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Impressed so far with what Bill P has done already

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
It's obvious that this contract was based on ability, not production or reputation. And after his couple of years in the NFL, one would think that he's hit his ceiling or reached his potential. Hopefully for the Dolphins' sake, he somehow does better in a 3-4.
I'm baffled as to why you think a 24 year old kid that has played only a couple years in the league has reached his potential? He just now at the point where he should start to contribute and show he can make it in this league. Remember, most players are drafted at around age 23.

This kid is closer to not even started tapping his potential then to hitting his ceiling. Obviously the move was made on potential and not production but isn't that exactly what draft picks are?

How is signing a 24 year old kid based on high potential a bad thing?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:57 AM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Quote:
I'm baffled as to why you think a 24 year old kid that has played only a couple years in the league has reached his potential? He just now at the point where he should start to contribute and show he can make it in this league. Remember, most players are drafted at around age 23.

This kid is closer to not even started tapping his potential then to hitting his ceiling. Obviously the move was made on potential and not production but isn't that exactly what draft picks are?

All I Have to say is, if starks 16 tackles this past season got him 7 million guaranteed, how much are the dolphins gonna give me after my 4 INT season in flag football? It was my first season ever playing football so I must have vast potential.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:50 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Well there are alot of guys you could say that about, Marcus Spears is 24 and id venture to say he has reached his potential already...Some guys max out around that age and are nothing more, now im not sayin this about Starks just players in general...

Personally I like the signing because he went and got Ferguson to man up the NT position so Starks isnt expected to anchor the defense right away, and changing schemes could do him some good as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

He's a 24 year old who has 4 full NFL seasons under his belt, and he hasn't reached his ceiling, so there's a good chance he never will. Thus, his potential has been reached due to him only performing so well for his 4 seasons and unwillingness in putting in the effort to improve and perform. And it's not for a matter of lack of playing time, as he's seen the field plenty, especially during Haynesworth's suspension for the head-stomping incident. Most players are drafted when they are 23, but Starks was drafted when he was 20. If he was going to establish his game at a higher level, he should have done that by now. You don't just hit a certain age, and all of the sudden mature into a better player. It's done by experience and hard work. And the fact that he was given a larger contract than what he deserves, his motivation to now make that jump is unlikely, in my opinion. But then again, it's frickin' Bill Parcells. If someone can motivate this kid, it's da Tuna.

I don't think the signing is bad. It's the price ya'll paid.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 03-01-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
He's a 24 year old who has 4 full NFL seasons under his belt, and he hasn't reached his ceiling, so there's a good chance he never will. Thus, his potential has been reached due to him only performing so well for his 4 seasons and unwillingness in putting in the effort to improve and perform. And it's not for a matter of lack of playing time, as he's seen the field plenty, especially during Haynesworth's suspension for the head-stomping incident. Most players are drafted when they are 23, but Starks was drafted when he was 20. If he was going to establish his game at a higher level, he should have done that by now. You don't just hit a certain age, and all of the sudden mature into a better player. It's done by experience and hard work. And the fact that he was given a larger contract than what he deserves, his motivation to now make that jump is unlikely, in my opinion. But then again, it's frickin' Bill Parcells. If someone can motivate this kid, it's da Tuna.

I don't think the signing is bad. It's the price ya'll paid.
You also have to remember, he was seeing alot of PT as a starter for y'all sometimes and he was basically your number 2 DT behind Haynesworth.

In Miami he's gonna be used in certain roles in a mix with Matt Roth, Vonnie Holliday, Rodrique Wright (they are also talking to Marques Douglas and will likely draft another guy as well). So Starks is gonna be used in a smaller role that will probably trailor to his talents better. Not to mention, he was a 3-4 DE in college and was drafted off the potential he he in that system.

You have to remember at age 24 he's just now at the age that most kids are leaving college and getting ready for their future and full time careers. With Tennessee he was still at an age where most people are in a mind frame to goff off, not take things seriously and wanna just party. These next few years are the ages that most people leave that school boy party life and get their act together and their future and careers in order. He was in a situation that not many people get thrust into. It's entirely possible that with a new start and a new outlook he could mature some and start hitting some of the vast potential he has.

Remember with the signing. It's only 7 million guaranteed. At 5 years, we are only guaranteing him 1.5 mil per year. We can give him two years to see what he has, if he puts it together then he'll likely get resigned to a better deal or if he fails then we will cut him and have already paid his guaranteed money making the cap hit for him a bare minimum. Looking at the numbers it looks like alot for a guy that has done little during his career but the contract is very low risk. We are basically just paying him a decent amount for a tryout over the next two years and see if he'll be worth the big money he could potentially get. But he's not guaranteed much.

Much rather pay him some cash and give him a shot hopefully he figures it out then to wait and get some scrub UDFA which is basically a prayer that you get lucky enough to grab one of the 2-3 UDFA that can stick and make and impact that year.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
and Jacque Reeves
I believe you mean Joke Reeves. He's so terrible, he makes Mike Rumph look like a good CB.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:02 AM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Randy Starks was not our number 2. He was our number 3, and that was by a pubic hair.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You also have to remember, he was seeing alot of PT as a starter for y'all sometimes and he was basically your number 2 DT behind Haynesworth.
CMD is right. Starks has essentially been our #3 DT for the past season and a half. His spot at UT was taken by Tony Brown, a 6-3, 285 lb. DT/DE who was undrafted out of Memphis a few years back. But in Starks' defense, Brown's more suited towards UT more so than Starks.

I hope you're right. There's a great chance that Starks just may not have fit our scheme, as we're not a 2-Gap DEF and require our DT's to be athletic and not space eaters. Maybe now that he's with his second team, and the team that initially drafted him showed no effort in re-signing him, will all help him to realize that he needs to get his act together like you said. I honestly do wish this signing helps, as I wish to see the Dolphins improve. There's few teams that I want to see go through what the 'Phins did last year, and Miami isn't one of them.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.