Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Today's speed rushers need to learn from the past

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...eff&id=3290984

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:02 AM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

I have said a million times, I would always take a "football" guy over a freak athlete any day of the year.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:13 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do agree it is becoming a lost art but there are still a few old-school type of pass rushers out there such as Strahan, Umenyiora, Kerney, Allen, etc. Chris Long will also be another one while his counterpart Gholston is part of the new breed NFL traditionalists would preferrably not like to see.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a little strange as a story, first they say the true pass-rushers are gone, the skill is out of the position, then they say it's got everything to do with the way offenses work these days...

Essentially you could say it's the fault of the college level, but I believe it's to be credited to the offensive coördinators, who have found a way to make the pass-rush less of a factor.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
It's a little strange as a story, first they say the true pass-rushers are gone, the skill is out of the position, then they say it's got everything to do with the way offenses work these days...

Essentially you could say it's the fault of the college level, but I believe it's to be credited to the offensive coördinators, who have found a way to make the pass-rush less of a factor.
I think it is both. A lot of college's now want that speed type pass rusher, and OL just cant handle it. A top edge speed rusher may face 1 or 2 top flight OL in a year, and not be able to get by them. But in the other 10 games they are playing a bunch of slack jobs who wont ever play football again. You see my point? They dont emphasize "teaching", rather using athleticism to get by. Once you get to the NFL, the OL are just as athletic as the DE with just as good feet. Thus, the coaching job needs to be top flight, and they need to "teach" the players.

But it is the case all along. I would have to say, that any football team I have seen, at any level, lineman recevie the LEAST amount of teaching of all position. There just isnt the emphasis on teaching them the tricks of the trade anymore.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of the moves Reggie White used would be a penalty. He would just push the lineman in the head until he fell down, then go get the QB.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
A lot of the moves Reggie White used would be a penalty. He would just push the lineman in the head until he fell down, then go get the QB.
and we don't even need to get started on Deacon Jones...

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:29 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
and we don't even need to get started on Deacon Jones...
I'm sure if it would have been legal, he would have axed his way to the QB...

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:05 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
I do agree it is becoming a lost art but there are still a few old-school type of pass rushers out there such as Strahan, Umenyiora, Kerney, Allen, etc. Chris Long will also be another one while his counterpart Gholston is part of the new breed NFL traditionalists would preferrably not like to see.
Well Osi is because of Strahan. Strahan is the guy who taught Osi all that he knows. Both are really good friends with each other. I am sure both guys will pass their knowledge down to Tuck as well.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i loved this article and agree with it. too many times i see great talents at pass rusher rely too much on their athleticism to get by. names that come up to me are Peppers, and Ware for example.

Both those guys have amazing potential, and can be even better than they are if they just refined their craft. Ware is an absolute beast, but if he just worked on his craft the man can get 18 sacks easy.

I wouldn't say that its an entirely lost art however. Guys like Jared Allen, Osi, Tuck, Kampman, Van DenBosh, Merriman for example are a couple of young guys who use great technique. Im sure theres more but im forgetting them at the moment.

Id say Strahan and Jason Taylor are probably the 2 best technical pass rushers in the game. Its all about leverage. Thats why, contrary to popular believe, 6 7" or 6 8" is not the ideal height for a DE, 6 4" is.