Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

For the Raiders as an example. Andrew Walter was getting sacked almost every time he dropped back. The team mostly ran the ball b/c our passing game was innefective but every 3rd and long we passed and Walter would get sacked b/c 1) our OL is pathetic 2) he is a statue....thats why he got sacked all day every game, not because the Raiders passed too much...
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:57 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu
Bulger's were due to the O-Line being dip-shits for a few weeks.
Only a few weeks?
No, I was trying to be nice.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:00 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler
Quote:
Bulger's were due to the O-Line being dip-shits for a few weeks.
Only a few weeks?
No, I was trying to be nice.
A few can be used to classify seventeen.

BTW, what thread was this in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about this one....

Take two QB's... Lets say QB #1 is named Hank and QB #2 is Jon Kitna and put them behind the same Oline. Hank will get sacked less because he is not Jon Kitna, Jon Kitna's decisions in the pocket knock his Oline down a notch. I should know, I watched that small handed man play for way too long.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:13 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
The original poster made the question sound completely different. It is if everything is the same except the QB throws more in one and less in the other. Same OL, same QB, same offense, same WR, same everything, except one throws 40 times and one throws 30. It is quite obvious the guy who throws 40 times will be sacked more often.
I dont think that TL has any kind of legit argument against this (TL, I read the whole topic, and your argument is the equivalent of a four year olds). He completely butchered the question in the topic which resulted in a lopsided vote. As a mod, abuse your powers. Please.
No... if you read the argument, go back and try again.

Quote:
If a QB throws more passes he will be sacked more, that's just plain common sense.
That's what he said... that was the argument he was trying to make. And, it isnt true. This is the NFL, and you see it every week. It doesn't matter how many times the QB drops back to pass in the NFL... if Peyton Manning drops back to pass 30 times, he may get sacked once. If Walter drops back to pass 15 times, he may get sacked 3 times. How, after looking at the stats, can you argue this?

I'm not going to sit here and say "If a QB has the same everything and drops back to pass 30 times, then 20 times, he'll get sacked more with the 30 times". Why? First of all, this is the NFL. We have proof. We dont need these little hypothetical situations when we have REAL FACTS that we can use. You can sit there and think of all of the imaginary situations you'd like to that help prove your point... but none of them are true and none of them happen. Then, you've got my situation... the NFL. In the NFL, there are many reasons as to why a QB gets sacked... and it IS NOT JUST THE NUMBER OF PASSING ATTEMPTS!

Quote:
If a QB throws more passes he will be sacked more, that's just plain common sense.
I'll post it again.

Quote:
That's what he said... that was the argument he was trying to make. "But! But! If he throws it 3,000 times or 5 times!..." NO! That isn't just "more"... "more" is "If he throws it 3,000 times or 2,995 times, is it a FACT that he will be sacked more?" The answer is no. It is not a fact.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
jag
Veteran

jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok heres my thoughts. The talent of the QB is a part of how many times they will be sacked.. But DG is right in saying "the more you pass...." because, Peyton Manning gets sacked however many times throwing the ball 30 times a game. Now, if he throws the ball 40 times a game he WILL be sacked more than if he threw it 30 times.

You can't compare QB's because the talent is diffrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
421 Witness
756*
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Ok heres my thoughts. The talent of the QB is a part of how many times they will be sacked.. But DG is right in saying "the more you pass...." because, Peyton Manning gets sacked however many times throwing the ball 30 times a game. Now, if he throws the ball 40 times a game he WILL be sacked more than if he threw it 30 times.

You can't compare QB's because the talent is diffrent.
Ok. To put this to rest, read this. This whole thing started with this statement made by "baronzeus".
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronzeus
And given that Kitna threw the second most passes in the league (around 600 whereas the raiders threw about 450 times) he's expected to be sacked the (second) most.
I found a HUGE flaw in that statement, considering the overall number of attempts does NOT match the overall number of sacks. Then, "draftguru" made the following statement:
Quote:
Which is incorrect.

If Kitna is expected to be sacked the (second) most because he threw the second most passes in the league, shouldn't the QB that threw the MOST passes get sacked MOST in the league (using that logic)? The following research is provided:

QBs - Most Passing Attempts
1. Brett Favre - 613
2. Jon Kitna - 596
3. Marc Bulger - 588
4. Peyton Manning - 557
5. Drew Brees - 554

QBs - Most Times Sacked
1. Jon Kitna - 63
2. Marc Bulger - 49
3. J.P. Losman - 47
4. Ben Roethlisberger - 46
5. Andrew Walter - 46

Using his logic, How did Peyton Manning and Drew Brees pass more than J.P. Losman, Big Ben and Walter and get sacked less?

Which was my exact point, from the start to now: a QB that passes more will not necessarily get sacked more than another QB. It gives him the CHANCE to get sacked more, but it wont necessarily happen. And why not?

Answer this, and you'll see my point: why isnt Brett Favre one of the most sacked QBs of the year?

(If you can answer that question with ANY response, you've proven my point.)
Old 01-04-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
And given that Kitna threw the second most passes in the league (around 600 whereas the raiders threw about 450 times) he's expected to be sacked the (second) most.
you missed a key word. the original quote doesn't say he WOULD be, just that he would be EXPECTED to be. this is a reasonable assertion. saying he HAS to be is not. you're apparently arguing two different things, one is true (that A does not result in B always) the other is not (that A would be more likely to result in B).
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is just like do WR's that get the ball most drop the most passes, well yah they do becaus ethey get the most opportunites but somone should figure out the percentage of QB's that get sacked out of every pass attempted
Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
you missed a key word. the original quote doesn't say he WOULD be, just that he would be EXPECTED to be. this is a reasonable assertion. saying he HAS to be is not. you're apparently arguing two different things, one is true (that A does not result in B always) the other is not (that A would be more likely to result in B).
There's the problem: he's making an argument, saying that the Lions' OLine isnt nearly as bad because Kitna passed the (second) most in the NFL.

I don't think its reasonable to say that the player that passes the most is EXPECTED to be. I think it IS reasonable to say the player that has the worst OLine is expected to be sacked the most.

To me, the talent of the OLine is a more accurate indicator than the number of passing attempts.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglez.Fan
This is just like do WR's that get the ball most drop the most passes, well yah they do becaus ethey get the most opportunites but somone should figure out the percentage of QB's that get sacked out of every pass attempted
That's a similar argument, and I also disagree with it.

I think the WR's that get the ball most have the chance to drop the most passes, but I think the WR's with the worst hands/concentration drop the most passes. To me (as with the QB/sacks argument), it's a matter of talent and ability... it isn't JUST opportunity.