Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I know they are low picks but I think it's pretty steep for just talking to the guy when the Pats only gave up a low 1st for flat out blatant cheating.
They should have forced them to forfeit their number 7 pick instead of the 32. I know it was SF's pick but still.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure how I feel about the decision to award the Bears something in this. By all rights, tampering is not a rare event, and if teams think they can score for reporting all events of it to the league, things could get ridiculous for a few years.

I don't mind penalizing San Francisco, I just don't like the precedent that awarding the Bears brings.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:43 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about the decision to award the Bears something in this. By all rights, tampering is not a rare event, and if teams think they can score for reporting all events of it to the league, things could get ridiculous for a few years.

I don't mind penalizing San Francisco, I just don't like the precedent that awarding the Bears brings.
i kind of like it, and not just as a bears fan. this means that more teams will be willing to step up and say something when they thing one of thier players is being tampered with and it might lead to tampering coming to a stop.

probably not though, everyone will just get smarter about it. but what do i care? the bears moved up a few spots in the third round, ill take it, lol
Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The Bears could have been adversely affected by the Niners tampering with their player. It may have hurt their ability to resign him, and certainly didn't do our team any favors chemistry-wise. Not to mention that it's the value of a 6th rounder, big whoop.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:49 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they should have just removed a draft pick, no rewarding the other team.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:51 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 49ers need to just start over again, and build their team with Patrick Willis as the focal point.

Id love to see a 4-3 defense put back in SF. Hire Ron Rivera and start over.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The Bears could have been adversely affected by the Niners tampering with their player. It may have hurt their ability to resign him, and certainly didn't do our team any favors chemistry-wise. Not to mention that it's the value of a 6th rounder, big whoop.
I don't really have a problem with the Bears getting something, but the only problem I'd have is that its hard to keep that penalty on par if it should happen again. For ex. what happens if its between two teams with draft picks very far apart, it won't be as easy to balance it out, so that it amounts to just a 6th rounder.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
I don't really have a problem with the Bears getting something, but the only problem I'd have is that its hard to keep that penalty on par if it should happen again. For ex. what happens if its between two teams with draft picks very far apart, it won't be as easy to balance it out, so that it amounts to just a 6th rounder.
if theyre real far apart maybe you just switch the rounds they pick in.

maybe if the niners picked late in the 2nd round and the bears early in the 3rd, you swap them or something.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My objection is that the NFL has now turned tampering into a good thing for one of the parties involved. Maybe the Bears had more troubles from the Niner's tampering, and maybe the NFL felt that compensation was neccesary, but in a time where the NFL is trying to make sure that no party benefits from this sort of behavior, they have suddenly made tampering good for the team that reports it.

I think that eradication by penalty and not reward is a much better course of action than what it appears the NFL has in mind.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Nolan can't even tamper correctly. This guy is clueless.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wait, shouldnt lance briggs be in trouble too for not reporting it immediatly or something?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My objection is that the NFL has now turned tampering into a good thing for one of the parties involved. Maybe the Bears had more troubles from the Niner's tampering, and maybe the NFL felt that compensation was neccesary, but in a time where the NFL is trying to make sure that no party benefits from this sort of behavior, they have suddenly made tampering good for the team that reports it.

I think that eradication by penalty and not reward is a much better course of action than what it appears the NFL has in mind.
But they are trying to discourage tampering. So by rewarding the team that reports it, and punishing the team that tampers, would that not serve to limit its occurance?

Shouldn't a team that reports it be compensated? You sound as if you think the Bears did something wrong in this situation.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
wait, shouldnt lance briggs be in trouble too for not reporting it immediatly or something?
If Lance Briggs was a GM, yes. His agent could be in trouble, but it's unclear what role Rosenhaus had in this, and if they could prove it.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just figured that Briggs/Rosenhaus should have to pay some sort of fine if they didnt tell what happened immediatly after the niners contacted briggs. but they might have reported it

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
But they are trying to discourage tampering. So by rewarding the team that reports it, and punishing the team that does not, would that not serve to limit its occurance?
More so than a situation that would punish the team that tampered and the player who allowed them to tamper? What's keeping teams from silently encouraging tampering now that they know it'll help them upgrade their draft position?

I've admired the NFL's effort to clean up so far because it didn't try to create a environment where teams were tattling on each other, it encouraged them to take responsibility for their players. I can totally get behind punishing the 49ers, but rewarding the Bears sends a message that is counter-intuitive to the sort of message the NFL has been sending until now.

There could be some extenuating circumstance where Briggs' involvement with San Francisco cost the Bears something, but on the surface I can't possibly see how this hurt them, and certainly not in a way that should involve them receiving draft picks.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

But again, it's not hard at all to make the case that in most cases, a team whose players are tampered with is hurt by that. I would prefer that teams not try to negotiate contracts with our players and they can keep the 5 spots we move up in the 3rd round.

The Bears should "tattle" because what the Niners were doing was affecting their ability to negotiate with their own players without another team's interferance. That's the whole point of the rule. It worked out for us this time, but there are plenty of times where a player will not re-up with a team simply because he already knows that he's going to get x amount of dollars from another team.

The difference this time was that the Niners blatantly got caught and pulled back their interest in Briggs to try and save face.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 03-24-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
But again, it's not hard at all to make the case that in most cases, a team whose players are tampered with is hurt by that. I would prefer that teams not try to negotiate contracts with our players and they can keep the 5 spots we move up in the 3rd round.
I'd say it would be very hard to establish that most cases of tampering hurt the team that the player currently belongs to, if only because most cases of tampering never amount to anything (just like it didn't amount to anything here). The worst case scenario with the Bears is that maybe Briggs got an idea of what his market value was before the market opened, but he must have fielded quite a few offers once that happened regardless.

I fail to see how San Francisco hurt Chicago in a way that would require repayment.

Quote:
The Bears should "tattle" because what the Niners were doing was affecting their ability to negotiate with their own players without another team's interferance. That's the whole point of the rule. It worked out for us this time, but there are plenty of times where a player will not re-up with a team simply because he already knows that he's going to get x amount of dollars from another team.

The difference this time was that the Niners blatantly got caught and pulled back their interest in Briggs to try and save face.
So the Bears tattle, the Niners retract their interest to save face, and the Bears get compensated beyond retaining Briggs how exactly? Unless the Niners made it especially difficult for Chicago to talk contract numbers with Briggs (possible, but total speculation), giving them additional assets sends a different message than the NFL has previously put out.

I'll be honest. The idea of all these teams trying to out each other to Roger Goodell in return for draft picks sounds like a terrible way to do business.

Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck : 03-24-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote