Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-22-2008, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

ive had vacation and have been in some interestin situations with the ladies so trying to work that out...

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Youch.

One thing I'm starting to get worried about The nightmare scenario of what if Vernon Gholston, Darren McFadden and Jake Long go #2, #4 & #5 and the Jets can't trade down?
Ya, that is a rough situation to be in. We've been discussing it for a bit and it seems that no one can agree on where we would go; i wouldn't at all be surprised if we traded down, but took less value for it. Like trading down to the middle and than picking up just a second instead of a second and a third, or however the value works itself out.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:47 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
Ya, that is a rough situation to be in. We've been discussing it for a bit and it seems that no one can agree on where we would go; i wouldn't at all be surprised if we traded down, but took less value for it. Like trading down to the middle and than picking up just a second instead of a second and a third, or however the value works itself out.
yeah i woulndt be surprised nor would i be so upset about trading down for a little lesss than value...we shouldnt pikc there for money and talent reasons

with thta scenario, 2 of the 3 of ellis dorsey and matt ryan (not sure who you have falcons taking at 3, and assuming that you have c long #1) which are all prospects taht teams would love to trade up for...in scotts blog he spoek aobut the possibility of trading up for sedrick ellis and pretty much the same goes for dorsey
Old 03-23-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
One thing I'm starting to get worried about The nightmare scenario of what if Vernon Gholston, Darren McFadden and Jake Long go #2, #4 & #5 and the Jets can't trade down?
In my mind that is the worst possible scenario for us, and yes I believe we would get less value in trading down. But these things do have a way of working out sometimes. If we could end up trading into the middle of round 1 and getting Sweed, and possibly packaging the extra # 2 with our own and getting into the late 1st round to take Groves IMO I would be happy.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. MIA Jake Long
2. STL Vernon Gholston
3. ATL Glen Dorsey
4. OAK Darren McFadden
5. KC (Probably not Chris Long) Ryan, Ellis, Clady, CB, etc.

Then we end up with Chris Long. As good of a prospect he is, if Gholston is still on the board after Miami then I think he will fall past the rams and then on to us. That'd be great.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
1. MIA Jake Long
2. STL Vernon Gholston
3. ATL Glen Dorsey
4. OAK Darren McFadden
5. KC (Probably not Chris Long) Ryan, Ellis, Clady, CB, etc.

Then we end up with Chris Long. As good of a prospect he is, if Gholston is still on the board after Miami then I think he will fall past the rams and then on to us. That'd be great.
I don't see the Raiders passing on Long.

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, haven't been posting here in awhile but I figured it'd be cool to come back especially with the draft so close. Read a page or two back, and I think the question that Crickett brought up is huge. Who are people that everybody here likes by consensus? I see some mocks have us going McKelvin at 6 if a scenario like that happens, but I'm not sold on us going CB that early especially 2 years in a row. Maybe a Cason type round 2 would be nice, but I don't think we go CB at 6 this year. Seems like neither Dorsey or Ellis would be the pick, and Chris Long should be gone by that point I'd guess. On the bright side it does seem that our spot would be prime for trading up to, with all of the teams that could use DT's if only one of Ellis/Dorsey is left people could want to leapfrog whoever's trying to deal with the Pats to ensure they get their guy (I'm thinking teams like Cincy, New Orleans, Denver). Another possibility the Cowboys not for DMC but rather DRC with their rumored interest in him, they may want to leapfrog the Pats as well.

Regardless, if we do get stuck at 6 I think an intriguing guy is Harvey who didn't put up great combine numbers but did have better agility numbers than Gholston if I remember correctly and supposedly looked great at his Pro Day (not that I really put much stock into it anyway, but at least he didn't look horrible). Limas Sweed is an option as well, though I really don't like it. Not sure what everyone else thinks of him but I would like Sweed if we traded down, 6 just seems way to early for him though. DRC is the same as McKelvin, I just don't think we go DB that high and invest that much money in the position (especially with the obvious importance of a pass rush). I think of the possibilities there based on fit, position, and money invested in positions I like Harvey the most for us in that situation as he's a good pass rusher and may not be forced to start or play much on run downs early if he's not ready. End would be nice but I'm not willing to reach on Balmer, highly doubt we go Ellis, OL and CB I doubt as well due to the money we have invested there and how the positions are, safety value is off and I'd rather pay Rhodes than Phillips top 6, doubt we go ILB that high, RB value is off and if we go skill position offense we may as well grab a wideout since it's a bigger need IMO. The other option is Ryan if we feel Clemens isn't going to take us anywhere long term but I really don't like that possibility as I think it sets us back a bit and admits we made a mistake on Clemens. All taken into account I think I like Harvey in that situation even though it's a bit of a reach, or reaching on a wideout if we can't trade down. Not sure people are going to agree since I've been inactive for so long and am kind of out of touch here, but those are my thoughts on the situation. Still think a trade down is a nice possibility though.

Also, could anybody give me a run through of our consensus needs? The way I see it this draft we could use:
A wideout to develop and possibly start if the Coles situation isn't resolved
A number 2 corner to at the very least compete with Miller and whoever else we throw out there
A OLB for pass rush (not sure how much Pace will bring)
A DE to develop to start across from Coleman
An ILB to develop behind Barton to play next to Harris
A potential RT down the road and possibly some depth at guard

Anything I'm missing here? I see wideout and corner as the most pressing needs (especially a playmaking wideout and RZ threat) maybe corner a little moreso but I don't think it needs to be a high pick, and DE and ILB behind those since those guys probably won't start this year. OLB isn't a necessity to start but I think we've got better players at ILB and DE right now so that's a bigger need than those two, and given we need a pass rush badly and don't know what Pace is going to bring it's arguably at the top. OL is more depth/long term related so it's not an immediate need but I think we could get some great G value mid day 2 and a RT to develop wouldn't hurt though maybe we feel Bender is that guy and Woody just gives him more time to adjust to the pro game. QB wouldn't be terrible to compete I really don't know how the FO feels about the guys we have now so I'm not sure what we're doing there, safety isn't pressing but could be addressed if value is good, RB I don't think is a huge need but I wouldn't mind somebody day 2 if we feel value is too good to pass up, TE I really doubt we address after signing Franks, and I think that about covers it.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

I was just thinking about a possibility for this years draft and this is if McFadden is on the board:

Jets Trade:
1st Rounder
2 4th Rounders

Dallas Trades:
2 1st rounders
1 2nd rounder
1 3rd rounder

1a. Kentwan Balmer
b. James Hardy
2. Curtin Lofton
2. Antoine Cason
3. Jeremy Thompson

With this draft we get a reciever, an ILB, a DE, an OLB, and a CB. I believe this is the draft that puts us in the hunt..

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LC has reported supposedly, decreases the need at WR a tad at least as the need for somebody to start this season. I still think a big wideout Sweed/Kelly/Hardy depending on who you like (though some people are supposedly low on Kelly because his knees are really bad) is great as a #3 to cause mismatches in the slot create a deep threat and play in the red zone as well as to develop as a future #1 is perfect, Sweed being my favorite not sure what everyone else thinks, would be perfect this year. But if this is true the need isn't as immediate as it was, though it would still be an ideal move IMO.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
I was just thinking about a possibility for this years draft and this is if McFadden is on the board:

Jets Trade:
1st Rounder
2 4th Rounders

Dallas Trades:
2 1st rounders
1 2nd rounder
1 3rd rounder

1a. Kentwan Balmer
b. James Hardy
2. Curtin Lofton
2. Antoine Cason
3. Jeremy Thompson

With this draft we get a reciever, an ILB, a DE, an OLB, and a CB. I believe this is the draft that puts us in the hunt..
thatd be incredible, but i think thats way too much that were giving ourselves...the 2 1's for our 1 (on the trade value chart) puts the cowboys owing us a mid 3rd rounder, so 2 1's and a 3 for the 1 would seem more likely (with them maybe throwing in a late round pick), but 2 4's doesnt equal out to a 2
Old 03-24-2008, 10:40 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

with the reports of kellys knees dropping him possibly to round 2...what would you guys think about taking him there?

i think it may be risky and well have to wait and see how his knees are leading up to the draft, but if we think he can perform close to his normal level of play, we should pull the trigger because a) hes a great reciever...b) hes mid 1st round talent without thees concerns...and c) we need a tall red zone threat WR that could possibly take over for LC in the long run
Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Teams give physicals for a reason and Kelly will be a 1st rd. If im wrong I love taking him in the 2nd even if we've taken a wr earlier in the 1st (trade down scenario)

also here is an article with some wonderlic scores from this years combine...
let me know if you find more

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7471355.story

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Kelly's knees are bad enough that he will drop to the second, then they're bad enough for him to drop to the third. In any case, if they're really that bad, as much as I like him, he wouldn't be worth it.

But it is sad that the "nightmare scenario" that I brought up months ago could really come to fruition. But in that case, it'd probably be between DRC, McKelvin, or Phillips. Merling might be solid as well. No one else really comes all too close to interesting me, unless we were to move Woody to RG and draft Otah or Chris Williams, which, while not ideal, would be passable.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-25-2008 at 11:14 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

With all of this talk of Kelly, who do you guys think are the top wideouts for us this year regardless of where they're going to go? I'm pretty sure it's a consensus among Jets fans that WR should be addressed. It's also pretty much a crapshoot when it comes to wideouts this year, so I'd guess people are all over the place. I have a hard time with it, but I'll go:

1. Limas Sweed- Like the body control and athleticism. Looks pretty smooth, got considerably better after the catch his junior year. Great leaper and height makes him a nice red zone threat, as well as tremendous hands. Provided his wrist checks out, I like Sweed more than anyone else. I think he has enough ability to seperate to be a #1 wideout down the road and is a great fit for us as a #3 to grow behind Coles who looks to be back. Also a hard worker so could fit the Mangini mold. Wouldn't mind him in a trade down, think he's a big reach at six, and I'd go nuts if he was there in the second.

2. Devin Thomas- A little more of a risk than Sweed. Seems to be flying up draft boards but I worry he's a Troy Williamson esque guy at #6. Only one good year of production, and his hands are slightly iffy, not at Sweed or Kelly's level IMO. However he's tremendous after the catch and the fastest of the top wideouts. A big strong guy as well, he could need to develop but playing behind Coles for a few seasons could be an ideal situation for Thomas, he probably wouldn't be pushed into a starting situation to early for us. Certainly intriuging.

3. Malcolm Kelly- His knees seem to be a bit more of an issue than Sweed's wrist and could be pushing him down draft boards big time. That's a big question right now and I tend to wonder what's going to happen there, only time will tell before the draft what teams think and how he checks out. Makes a lot of contested catches and isn't great after the catch, but certainly is a very talented player in his own right. Nice hands and a solid leaper, could be a great fit for us. I'm sure certain people prefer him to Sweed but the knees give Sweed the nod and Thomas's potential and lack of injury questions give him the slight nod.

4. James Hardy- Great athlete, could be a tremendous fit in the red zone for us. Nice size-speed ratio has lots of people drooling over his potential, but there are questions about his ability to play against more physical corners and beat the jam. Nice long-term prospect but I don't see him being much of a player early and has a huge risk/reward. Outside of his red zone ability seems to be a big boom or bust guy.

5. Early Doucet- Good blocker, solid athlete but not overly quick or fast. Good after the catch and a good blocker, seems to fit the mold of what we have now very well but I think we're looking for a guy that's more of a deep threat/red zone guy that will fit interestingly with what we have. However, if we look to stick with guys that are in the mold we have a Doucet/Earl Bennett type could be interesting.

Sleeper: Jerome Simpson- Good athlete, ran well, good leaper, big hands and long arms. Great developmental potential, definitely could be a starter in the pros and really intrigues me. If we don't go wideout early Simpson could be a developmental guy to target. I think if we deal back in the second he's a possibility, maybe a bit of a reach early in the second. Fourth should be too late.

Thoughts? I'm sure people disagree with this but I'd like to hear everyone else's take I'm completely open to suggestions I'd love to hear stuff and get a convo going on wideouts.

EDIT:

Another guy I want to throw in here is Marcus Monk, who supposedly ran I believe a 4.43 and a 4.41 along with a 36 inch vert at 6'4 and change at his Pro Day. He's been talked about some here, and while I think the early second is early if he's there in the 4th that's great value and I'd love to grab him. I wonder if that time propels him into the third range though.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-25-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:23 AM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
If Kelly's knees are bad enough that he will drop to the second, then they're bad enough for him to drop to the third. In any case, if they're really that bad, as much as I like him, he wouldn't be worth it.

But it is sad that the "nightmare scenario" that I brought up months ago could really come to fruition. But in that case, it'd probably be between DRC, McKelvin, or Phillips. Merling might be solid as well. No one else really comes all too close to interesting me, unless we were to move Woody to RG and draft Otah or Chris Williams, which, while not ideal, would be passable.
merling i thought possibly would be of decent value at 6 earlier, but because of the surgery, thats too early for him but he is definitely an intriguing guy to lok at for us if we can trade back until the middle of the round

as for phillips, it seems he is dropping like crazy, and theres a shot we could pick him up in round 2 (although i dont think he will be left, it seems he may)...but also i wouldnt wnat a S that early because i am perfectly fine with elam/smith playing alongside rhodes, and i think mangini is too
Old 03-26-2008, 12:28 AM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

for WRs, i like the first 4 guys derza mentioned

as for doucet and bennett, i dont think we should bring in another player like coles/cotch who is more of a possesion reciever over the milddle guy because we already have two of those and need a new dimension to the passing game (either a speed demon or a deep threat), even though i think both could be great pros

another WR i was thinkign about (only if we were to trade into the mid/end of round 1) is desean jackson...although im not a huge fan of him becuase he is very small and did disspapoint this year, i was surprised that you didnt mention him...everybody always talks about the jets needing a playmaker (and usually mention mcfadden), but jackson might be the biggest playmaker in this draft...he is just so fast and elusive, that i think he could be a great #3 for us for now, but then really top off as a 2 or 3, which would be a problem because i see cotchery as more of an ideal 2 and not so much of a 1...tahts where the issue comes up, do you draft a guy this high if your only going to use him as a #3 WR (and hes a great KR/PR but idk how much we need him for that...maybe PR but not KR)...i wouldnt be too dissapointed with him in the mid/late 1st round, but i wojulndt be pushing for it...i still have to look more into this

thoughts?

EDIT: watching this video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXSzia2Zfg...just wow, now thats a playmaker
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah only reason I mentioned Doucet/Bennett is I'm not sure what our FO is thinking right now, do they want more YAC, solid blocker, good hands, not much of a deep threat or red zone threat types that fit what they have now or do they want to bring a new talent pool in for us. I'd certainly prefer the first four to the last two but I figured I'd throw that out there, you never know what the FO is thinking though they've only interviewed big wideouts.

As far as Jackson, I'll be honest his size scares me. Showing up at under 170 lbs at the combine I wonder how many NFL routes he'll be able to run. Can he go over the middle, or his he purely a bubble screeen/go kind of guy? Beyond that, with this being an open competition at QB, some of the floaters Chad throws would end up in Jackson getting snapped in half by a safety. He's a huge playmaker but I think we're looking for size more than anything else and I'm just not sure I like the fit. Tremendous playmaker though.

Interesting by the way that, changing gears a bit, we're focusing on LB's that aren't going to be going early round 1. Avril, Groves. We may be resigned to the fact that Gholston/Long isn't getting to us in the first, but I like the way we're handling this. Wonder if we're trying to work our way back into the late first this year for a guy. I also wonder if all of the DMC interviews are to make sure we're alright pulling something like what SD did with Eli Manning on the board a few years back. If he's there, take him, and we're fine with keeping him if we can't negotiate a trade but try to work something out. Maintains leverage while giving more time to work out a deal if we can't in the 10 minute time frame. Worst case we can't work out a trade and keeps him, provided he checks out.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

today is the day for mocks

Old 03-26-2008, 04:12 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Default Hugh's 30 Days and Coutning Jets' Mock 2008

Forum Mock Draft Date: 03/26/2008

2008 JETS' DRAFT SELECTIONS

TRADES:

1) The Jets trade the 6th Overall Pick to the Dallas Cowboys for the 22nd & 28th picks in the 1st Rd and in the 28th pick in the 3rd rd 92 overall:
This trade occurs as Oakland passes on Darren McFadden because of a severe amount of needs and a glut at the RB position. The Jets ideally trade down to the Dallas Cowboys who covet McFadden. 6th pick = 1600 / 22= 780 28= 660 This leaves the Cowboys 160 points in value off. Trading their 3rd rd pick as well the Cowboys are still short in value by approx a late 5th rd pick the Jets pull the trigger anyway bc draft day value is rarely recieved. The trade benfits both teams. Dallas is a more complete team with less needs and can afford in the eyes of someone like Jerry Jones to trade up. The Jets despite spending a lot in FA need more playmakers. The Jets like the trade bc they now have a 3rd rd pick in a draft where there are a lot of starting caliber players in those middle rounds and they can also save cap room, not having to pick at the top of the 1st rd after spending almost all of the 25 million they had under the cap after last season.

2) The Jets trade Chad Pennington to the Chicago Bears for the 14th pick in the 3rd rd, 78th overal and a conditional (low round) draft pick in 2009:
Rex Grossman did just sign a 1 year deal with the Bears but they lack a proven veteran after trading Brien Greise. Pennington stabilizes the position for the Bears and allows them stability when the Grossman experiment inevitably fails to groom a young QB. He will compete with Grossman and when he starts will fit in very well with their run first playaction style. The Jets trade Pennington as they cannot afford to keep him on the roster as a backup with a 7 million dollar cap number. He may compete but the Jets drafted Kellen Clemens and built a big offensive line up for the young QB to aid his development something the Jets' brass never did for Pennington. Why would they start now?

3) The Jets trade Dewayne Robertson to the Denver Broncos for the 10th pick in the 5th Rd. 138th overall:
The Jets need to clear Robertson's cap number and it would be better to regain a 5th rd pick they lack after the Kris Jenkins deal. Kris Jenkins is the NT for the future so DROB is out. Denver recieves a potentially better player in the 43 although that remains to be seen. They do the deal bc their defensive line looks like a train wreck. It was initially thought the Jets could recieve more for RObertson but failed physicals and contract talks are killing the deals. The Jets settle for a 5th Rd and sacrifice the other picks for the sake of the cap number they would clear.

SELECTIONS

22:1a) Limas Sweed - WR - TEXAS:
The Jets are in need of a playmaker on offense. Some may argue that's why the Jets should draft Darren McFadden. However, with the newly assembled OL staff Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, perhaps with a later draft pick, will be able to produce plays. The Jets redzone offense last season was aenemic. With a power running game and big recieving threat the Jets will attain a very productive, multifaceted offense. It could also produce one of the best recieving cores in the NFL. Coles, Cotchery, Sweed, Stuckey, Baker, Smith, Franks. Hard Worker one of the best WR before the wrist injuries. Our type of guy. Great Value esp since we dont need to put his wrist over the middle alot and can use him as a 3 wr/#1 wr in red zone until his wrist is cleared.

28:1b) Quentin Groves - OLB - AUBURN:

Despite signing Calvin Pace the Jets need more pass rushers on defense. By drafting Groves the Jets would have a rotation of pass rushers in Pace, Thomas and Groves that could like the WR position go from below league average to elite. The Giants prove you can never have too many pass rushers. While people marvel at Vernon Gholstons physicality and strength they lose sight of Groves Strength combined with his speed. Groves production did drop this season but his stock wasnt hurt badly bc an off year for him is better than a lot of college players. Auburns all time sack leader and loves working out. He dropd yes, about 15 spots. Jets save money on these 1st two picks as opposed to picking at 6. About 5 million. 2007: 8.2 mil 6: Landry / 1.7 mil 22:Quinn & 1.5 mil 28: Staley.

36:2) Kentwan Balmer - DE - NORTH CAROLINA:

The Jets are to say the least getting Long in the tooth at 34 DE. Coleman is ideal size and productive but Ellis despite high energy and effort is undersized to effectively run the system. Ellis would not be a backup but part of a great rotation and he could be used as that hybrid LB/DL blitzer standup system (i dunno what to call it). The Jets have potential DEs in Brown and Mosley for the future who could start one day with balmer. The depth and effectiveness could be great for a while. Coleman, Balmer, Ellis, Mosley, Brown. 64 310 is perfect size for the 34 DE position and we dont deal with bad fits for the system with someone like this. Could be our Richard Seymour. SOme might be concerned with this pick bc he had one year of production but it jsut so happened to occur when Butch Davis became his coach not under the typical crappy UNC program...Davis said hes a not just a one year wonder.

78:3a) Roy Scheuning - OG - OREGON STATE:

Some might look at this pick as strange considering we just signed Alan Faneca. However if you look at the depth the Jets lack on the OL, you might say we need someone who can plug this year and perhaps develop into an elite starter. Schuening before Branden Albert entered the draft was the top guard. We also have to worry about OT but considering the Jets drafted RT Bender last year and that is where he is best suited to play one wonders what happens if Dbrickashaw Ferguson goes down. Faneca would move to LT (he did it twive for the steelers for decently long stints and was VERY effective) and we could plug in Schuening at LG. For that matter if anyone got injured this would allow us flexiblitiy with no one really to speak of behind Moore and Faneca I like his size style of play and intangibles. If we can draft for the future we can sustain success. Fits the mold, our type of guy.

92:3b) Trae Williams - CB - SOUTH FLORIDA:
Great compliment to Revis. Good ball skills. Good size can get bigger and will make our secondary more legitimate. He got picked on a lot bc no one wanted to throw at Jenkins and produced well. Hard worker and fits the mold

102:4a) Jonathan Goff - ILB - VANDERBILT:
He provides great depth and will be Bartons successor. Great tandem with Harris. Bolsters the front 7 on D a lot. could also help pass rush by assoc. If he is in at ILB Barton can go back to his natural position of OLB and that would only help our perimiter pass rush. Groves, Pace, Thomas, Barton, Bowens.

104:4b) Tashard Choice - RB - GEORGIA TECH:

Tashard Choice is a physical runner who was really productive even after teams started keying in on him after Calvin Johnson left. He would be a great back to bring in for the seemingly power running game were going to establish. It would keep TJ fresh as he has been for his entire career. Help us in the future. Much better and more physical than Cedric Houston and Jets fans were excited to see Leon TJ and Cedric last year, now they get to see a team who will pound the ball and dictate the pace of a game.

138:5) Dexter Jackson - WR/PR - APPALACHIAN STATE:

Leon can't return punts well but provides a good KR tandem with Justin Miller. I think with the loss of Mike Westhoff the Jets need to bring in another dyanamic playmaker for ST to try to make up for the loss. Jackson does that for the PR game and could also be a poor mans Santana Moss (better than Sinorice) in the passing game. Not a huge factor but a deep threat, speedster we lack.

165:6) Bernard Morris - QB - MARSHALL:
Drafting a QB seems excessive but if the Jets sign a veteran to backup Clemens a developmental prospect is not a bad Idea. He has great measurables and a good arm. Joe Gibbs said he was a pleasure to coach at the East West Shrine game. We could keep him on the roster to develop and if clemens doesn work out we could draft or sign another QB without worry bc Morris would have been a 6th Rd. in a draft of 10 players. That said hard worker and i think will be a find for whoever takes him. At least a solid backup in the future. Could maybe even contribute like Brad Smith ST and some plays on O or D. Just a thought. I like him as a prospect.

196:7) Bobbie Williams - FS - BETHUNE COOKMAN:
I like Williams size and speed. Hes physical and fast for his size. He plays quick and I saw enough of his game to see that he could possibly develop into a starter. He could be a nice compliment to Rhodes and at least would provide good depth behind Rhodes Elam Hawkins and Smith.

(Semi)Final Assessment Going Into The 2008 Season:
These moves would allow the Jets to get younger at a lot of positions and prove they believe in drafting to develop a franchise. Ten picks as we saw in 2006 can turn a team around quickly. And considering our offseason we could make strides and become a perenial contender quickly. The key is make those trades. If they take place there are a various scenarios in the draft that I would like I think the one above is the best for the reasons I mentioned. This would also be a viable draft in terms of the CAP and would help us sustain success in that aspect of the football business.

2008 Improvements:

Red Zone Offense. Overall Style of Play- Offense and Defense. I love the idea of having little to no responsibility on Clemens Shoulders. I want him to play like Rothlisberger when they won the Super Bowl. Not caliber of play but Style...Throw a max of 25 times a game and a lot of them (considering the red zone targets) are TDs. Its a great way to win and develop a QB at the same time.

2008 Remaining Weaknesses:
Right Side of the OL. Woody is a ? and his backup Bender is ?? I was torn as to whehter or not I should have changed the pick in the 3rd round from Schuening to John Greco who could play RT and OG but Im operating under the assumption Woody will play well this year and Schuening has a higher grade. I think we could be looking at RT again next year if Woody breaks down and Bender doesnt show something. QB is also a ??? going into the season. This year will determine if Clemens remains with the team. My guess though is that he plays well enough to at the very least buy another year as starter.

Win- Loss Predicition for the season barring impactful injuries:
11-5Wins 11...Losses 5...If the Jets play the way we think they will, smashmouth, to set up a big to effective passing game they can win and make those 5 plays that determined the games which they lacked in about 7 games last season. I think they could also become a spread em out offense if clemens lives up to 3/4 of potential. I like the defensive changes and only hope they resign Kerry Rhodes. I think if this draft happens the Jets D will be GREAT for a LONG TIME. 11-5 isnt impossible but is unlikely I know However considering the jets' schedule as opposed to last years when we had the 6th hardest in the NFL going into the season and the Patriots had the 6th easiest we have a very good chance of improving like we did from 2005(4-12)-2006(10-6)

Wow this took a long time...Definitely my biggest post, and thats saying something... Can't Wait to see the rest of yours.

30 DAYS!

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 03-26-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:18 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow great effort. Definitely plus rep. I think all of those trades could happen except for the Chad one. For some reason I don't see him leaving. Anyways great mock.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
Forum Mock Draft Date: 03/26/2008

2008 JETS' DRAFT SELECTIONS

TRADES:

1) The Jets trade the 6th Overall Pick to the Dallas Cowboys for the 22nd & 28th picks in the 1st Rd and in the 28th pick in the 3rd rd 92 overall:
This trade occurs as Oakland passes on Darren McFadden because of a severe amount of needs and a glut at the RB position. The Jets ideally trade down to the Dallas Cowboys who covet McFadden. 6th pick = 1600 / 22= 780 28= 660 This leaves the Cowboys 160 points in value off. Trading their 3rd rd pick as well the Cowboys are still short in value by approx a late 5th rd pick the Jets pull the trigger anyway bc draft day value is rarely recieved. The trade benfits both teams. Dallas is a more complete team with less needs and can afford in the eyes of someone like Jerry Jones to trade up. The Jets despite spending a lot in FA need more playmakers. The Jets like the trade bc they now have a 3rd rd pick in a draft where there are a lot of starting caliber players in those middle rounds and they can also save cap room, not having to pick at the top of the 1st rd after spending almost all of the 25 million they had under the cap after last season.

2) The Jets trade Chad Pennington to the Chicago Bears for the 14th pick in the 3rd rd, 78th overal and a conditional (low round) draft pick in 2009:
Rex Grossman did just sign a 1 year deal with the Bears but they lack a proven veteran after trading Brien Greise. Pennington stabilizes the position for the Bears and allows them stability when the Grossman experiment inevitably fails to groom a young QB. He will compete with Grossman and when he starts will fit in very well with their run first playaction style. The Jets trade Pennington as they cannot afford to keep him on the roster as a backup with a 7 million dollar cap number. He may compete but the Jets drafted Kellen Clemens and built a big offensive line up for the young QB to aid his development something the Jets' brass never did for Pennington. Why would they start now?

3) The Jets trade Dewayne Robertson to the Denver Broncos for the 10th pick in the 5th Rd. 138th overall:
The Jets need to clear Robertson's cap number and it would be better to regain a 5th rd pick they lack after the Kris Jenkins deal. Kris Jenkins is the NT for the future so DROB is out. Denver recieves a potentially better player in the 43 although that remains to be seen. They do the deal bc their defensive line looks like a train wreck. It was initially thought the Jets could recieve more for RObertson but failed physicals and contract talks are killing the deals. The Jets settle for a 5th Rd and sacrifice the other picks for the sake of the cap number they would clear.

SELECTIONS

22:1a) Limas Sweed - WR - TEXAS:
The Jets are in need of a playmaker on offense. Some may argue that's why the Jets should draft Darren McFadden. However, with the newly assembled OL staff Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, perhaps with a later draft pick, will be able to produce plays. The Jets redzone offense last season was aenemic. With a power running game and big recieving threat the Jets will attain a very productive, multifaceted offense. It could also produce one of the best recieving cores in the NFL. Coles, Cotchery, Sweed, Stuckey, Baker, Smith, Franks. Hard Worker one of the best WR before the wrist injuries. Our type of guy. Great Value esp since we dont need to put his wrist over the middle alot and can use him as a 3 wr/#1 wr in red zone until his wrist is cleared.

28:1b) Quentin Groves - OLB - AUBURN:

Despite signing Calvin Pace the Jets need more pass rushers on defense. By drafting Groves the Jets would have a rotation of pass rushers in Pace, Thomas and Groves that could like the WR position go from below league average to elite. The Giants prove you can never have too many pass rushers. While people marvel at Vernon Gholstons physicality and strength they lose sight of Groves Strength combined with his speed. Groves production did drop this season but his stock wasnt hurt badly bc an off year for him is better than a lot of college players. Auburns all time sack leader and loves working out. He dropd yes, about 15 spots. Jets save money on these 1st two picks as opposed to picking at 6. About 5 million. 2007: 8.2 mil 6: Landry / 1.7 mil 22:Quinn & 1.5 mil 28: Staley.

36:2) Kentwan Balmer - DE - NORTH CAROLINA:

The Jets are to say the least getting Long in the tooth at 34 DE. Coleman is ideal size and productive but Ellis despite high energy and effort is undersized to effectively run the system. Ellis would not be a backup but part of a great rotation and he could be used as that hybrid LB/DL blitzer standup system (i dunno what to call it). The Jets have potential DEs in Brown and Mosley for the future who could start one day with balmer. The depth and effectiveness could be great for a while. Coleman, Balmer, Ellis, Mosley, Brown. 64 310 is perfect size for the 34 DE position and we dont deal with bad fits for the system with someone like this. Could be our Richard Seymour. SOme might be concerned with this pick bc he had one year of production but it jsut so happened to occur when Butch Davis became his coach not under the typical crappy UNC program...Davis said hes a not just a one year wonder.

78:3a) Roy Scheuning - OG - OREGON STATE:

Some might look at this pick as strange considering we just signed Alan Faneca. However if you look at the depth the Jets lack on the OL, you might say we need someone who can plug this year and perhaps develop into an elite starter. Schuening before Branden Albert entered the draft was the top guard. We also have to worry about OT but considering the Jets drafted RT Bender last year and that is where he is best suited to play one wonders what happens if Dbrickashaw Ferguson goes down. Faneca would move to LT (he did it twive for the steelers for decently long stints and was VERY effective) and we could plug in Schuening at LG. For that matter if anyone got injured this would allow us flexiblitiy with no one really to speak of behind Moore and Faneca I like his size style of play and intangibles. If we can draft for the future we can sustain success. Fits the mold, our type of guy.

92:3b) Trae Williams - CB - SOUTH FLORIDA:
Great compliment to Revis. Good ball skills. Good size can get bigger and will make our secondary more legitimate. He got picked on a lot bc no one wanted to throw at Jenkins and produced well. Hard worker and fits the mold

102:4a) Jonathan Goff - ILB - VANDERBILT:
He provides great depth and will be Bartons successor. Great tandem with Harris. Bolsters the front 7 on D a lot. could also help pass rush by assoc. If he is in at ILB Barton can go back to his natural position of OLB and that would only help our perimiter pass rush. Groves, Pace, Thomas, Barton, Bowens.

104:4b) Tashard Choice - RB - GEORGIA TECH:

Tashard Choice is a physical runner who was really productive even after teams started keying in on him after Calvin Johnson left. He would be a great back to bring in for the seemingly power running game were going to establish. It would keep TJ fresh as he has been for his entire career. Help us in the future. Much better and more physical than Cedric Houston and Jets fans were excited to see Leon TJ and Cedric last year, now they get to see a team who will pound the ball and dictate the pace of a game.

138:5) Dexter Jackson - WR/PR - APPALACHIAN STATE:

Leon can't return punts well but provides a good KR tandem with Justin Miller. I think with the loss of Mike Westhoff the Jets need to bring in another dyanamic playmaker for ST to try to make up for the loss. Jackson does that for the PR game and could also be a poor mans Santana Moss (better than Sinorice) in the passing game. Not a huge factor but a deep threat, speedster we lack.

165:6) Bernard Morris - QB - MARSHALL:
Drafting a QB seems excessive but if the Jets sign a veteran to backup Clemens a developmental prospect is not a bad Idea. He has great measurables and a good arm. Joe Gibbs said he was a pleasure to coach at the East West Shrine game. We could keep him on the roster to develop and if clemens doesn work out we could draft or sign another QB without worry bc Morris would have been a 6th Rd. in a draft of 10 players. That said hard worker and i think will be a find for whoever takes him. At least a solid backup in the future. Could maybe even contribute like Brad Smith ST and some plays on O or D. Just a thought. I like him as a prospect.

196:7) Bobbie Williams - FS - BETHUNE COOKMAN:
I like Williams size and speed. Hes physical and fast for his size. He plays quick and I saw enough of his game to see that he could possibly develop into a starter. He could be a nice compliment to Rhodes and at least would provide good depth behind Rhodes Elam Hawkins and Smith.

(Semi)Final Assessment Going Into The 2008 Season:
These moves would allow the Jets to get younger at a lot of positions and prove they believe in drafting to develop a franchise. Ten picks as we saw in 2006 can turn a team around quickly. And considering our offseason we could make strides and become a perenial contender quickly. The key is make those trades. If they take place there are a various scenarios in the draft that I would like I think the one above is the best for the reasons I mentioned. This would also be a viable draft in terms of the CAP and would help us sustain success in that aspect of the football business.

2008 Improvements:

Red Zone Offense. Overall Style of Play- Offense and Defense. I love the idea of having little to no responsibility on Clemens Shoulders. I want him to play like Rothlisberger when they won the Super Bowl. Not caliber of play but Style...Throw a max of 25 times a game and a lot of them (considering the red zone targets) are TDs. Its a great way to win and develop a QB at the same time.

2008 Remaining Weaknesses:
Right Side of the OL. Woody is a ? and his backup is ?? I might change the pick in the 3rd round from Schuening to John Greco who could play RT and OG but Im operating under the assumption Woody will play well this year and Schuening has a higher grade. I think we could be looking at RT again next year if Woody breaks down and Bender doesnt show something. QB is also a ??? going into the season. This year will determine if Clemens remains with the team. My guess though is that he plays well enough to at the very least buy another year as starter.

Win- Loss Predicition for the season barring impactful injuries:
11-5Wins 11...Losses 5...If the Jets play the way we think they will, smashmouth, to set up a big to effective passing game they can win and make those 5 plays that determined the games which they lacked in about 7 games last season. I think they could also become a spread em out offense if clemens lives up to 3/4 of potential. I like the defensive changes and only hope they resign Kerry Rhodes. I think if this draft happens the Jets D will be GREAT for a LONG TIME. 11-5 isnt impossible but is unlikely I know But considering the jets' schedule as opposed to last years when we had the 6th hardest in the NFL going into the season and the Patriots had the 6th easiest

Wow this took a long time...Definitely my biggest post... Can't Wait to see the rest of yours.

30 DAYS!

Other than Gholston and or Jake Long, nothing would make me happier on draft day than a Sweed/Groves combo in round one (that is assuming McFadden drops). As a plus the Boys could always deal MB III for a decent pick if they wanted.

I dont see the Bears going for Penny (doesnt have the arm for the windy city) and I think teams are awating D-Rob getting cut instead of a trade. And lets face it, they may not be able to sign all of their picks unless he is a goner one way or the other unless Tangini works some cap magic. But I definitely like DE, ILB & OG being addressed too...
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'm going to try and do a no trades mock, not sure if I'll like how it works out but we'll see how it goes. Just so I don't give us a player I don't think will be there at six I'll mock out the first 5 picks as I see them in a couple different scenarios. I'm having the most trouble with St. Louis at 2 so I'll play everything off three picks I'm going to give them.

1. Miami: Chris Long- I'm pretty sure this is going to be the pick, it's St. Louis that's going to throw things off.

2. St. Louis: Vernon Gholston/Glenn Dorsey/Jake Long- They're said to be high on Gholston but at the same time aren't sure if his value is this high. Dorsey's injury concerns are supposedly overblown and they're said to like him. Meanwhile, Long's probably the pick if Pace isn't coming back.

3. Atlanta: Glenn Dorsey/Jake Long/Glenn Dorsey- I'm not sold on the Ryan pick here quite yet and think they try and grab a guy in the second. Defensive tackle seems to be a need so the Dorsey fit could be good especially with intangibles, if he's not there I guess they go Long.

4. Oakland: Jake Long/Vernon Gholston/Darren McFadden- Figured I'd put the Gholston and McFadden picks in here as I think they're both possible. Long may be ideal but I think if he's on the board Al goes Gholston, Chris Long may be the favorite here but I doubt he's available.

5. KC: Sed Ellis/Jeff Otah- Not sure who I lean but I'd guess its going to be one of these two and both will be on the board and neither affects us.

Which leaves us with a few possibilities:

Vernon Gholston- If the Rams go Dorsey or J. Long and Oakland goes DMC we could end up with Gholston.

Darren McFadden- If Oakland goes Jake Long or Gholston I see McFadden being on the board here.

DRC/Leodis McKelvin- Corner is a need but I'd really rather not address it at 6.

Limas Sweed/Devin Thomas- See corner, except I'd rather go corner I think because the value's better

Derrick Harvey- Could have the value here, lots of people have him going 7 to the Pats so why not 6 to us?

I do think what we're going to do if we don't stand pat is trade to a team in the 9-15 range, pick up a third and possibly a future pick depending on where we're trading back to. Teams may want to leapfrog the Pats to get whoever they're trying to trade for. I just don't think the Cowboys scenario is realistic, Jones's interest in DMC is a smokescreen and I think if anything they trade to our spot to jump ahead of the Pats and take not DMC but DRC who they supposedly love and the Pats could definitely have an eye on. Regardless I think we trade down in the 9-15 range get back our third and trade for less value than the chart would indicate purely for the sake of moving back a little and getting better value where we pick. Teams are hesitant to move up and I'd definitely take less value for 6 if Gholston's not there if it meant getting a trade down. In that case I say we're targeting:

a wideout (Sweed?)
Harvey if he slips
Groves
Balmer
DRC

Which are probably the same guys we're looking at taking at 6 if we don't trade down and that terrible scenario happens. So we save a lot of money and pick up a pick in the process, I don't care if it's a third or a second or future picks or whatever I think it's a good move overall. Second round range target guys like Cason, Avril, etc depending on who we pick in the first and then look at mid round guys like a Monk at WR. Regardless I do think with our high second we're in great position to pick up a good player so as long as we use that pick well and don't make a completely boneheaded move I'll be happy with our first. Would like to fortify the front 7 and pick up a big wideout this draft, those are my priorities. Something like:

Trade with NO, pick up a third:

Sweed
Avril
Bryant
Goff
McGlynn
Bowman (CB)
Morris (stealing the pick hcbrad I like it but I wanna make sure you get cred)

Would be pretty nice, not great but it does give us a little help on D and then addresses depth issues on O in later rounds. Wouldn't mind a RB in this draft purely if the value presents itself though.

Without trades realistically I guess I'd go with:

1. Harvey (probably best fit, nice OLB potential)
2. Dre Moore (size at end)
4. Monk (nice potential size/speed combo)
4. Goff (ILB to develop in 4th)
6. Bowman (CB) (maybe Ike if he's there but a high reward guy in the 6th, small school potential)
7. Pedro Sosa (depth & versatility, not sure if he's there but that's what I'd look for. disappointed it ended up getting put off till the 7th)

Last edited by derza222 : 03-26-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:46 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I thought we said the 30th? I guess I was way off then damn.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:17 AM    (permalink
Jetfanmack
Rookie

Jetfanmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No way we get a 3rd for Chad. No way. I think Denver cooled on DRob for now. I like the picks, though.
Jetfanmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

Jenfanmack...If the market dictates that Josh McNown is valued at a 3rd rd pick and brian Griese at a 5th to 6th rd pick and Chad is better than both he gets that value. I think Chad in the right West Coast or running style system is a more than effective player and easily garners a 3rd rd pick, I could have gone higher bc Chad IMO and anyone with half a brain is much better than McCown. Its not about perception of value but precedent.

Last edited by hcbrad08 : 03-27-2008 at 09:37 AM.