Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, that's why I like Shaun Rogers... Kills 2 birds with 1 stone. NT and DE needs satisfied.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

I tend to agree with most of what BBD said in regards to the 3-4, but I still think Burnett is an upgrade over Akin.

I'm sure BBD doesn't get to see every boys game, and when he does, I'm sure he isn't watching Akin.

The dude just cant shed blocks. KB can. I don't know, I would give up a little size for KB's athleticism. I hope we try it this year.

Ayodele, 28, is listed at 6-2, 250
Burnett, 25, is listed at 6-3, 240
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I tend to agree with most of what BBD said in regards to the 3-4, but I still think Burnett is an upgrade over Akin.

I'm sure BBD doesn't get to see every boys game, and when he does, I'm sure he isn't watching Akin.

The dude just cant shed blocks. KB can. I don't know, I would give up a little size for KB's athleticism. I hope we try it this year.

Ayodele, 28, is listed at 6-2, 250
Burnett, 25, is listed at 6-3, 240
I always thought Ayodele was an odd choice for 2-4 ILB. He seems to fit better in a 4-3 scheme. He's not a bad player, but he's a JAG.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
kingjames
Rookie

kingjames needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles33 View Post
As for KingJames and the "Roy Williams is better in a 4-3" statement, that is completely false. On Talkin' Cowboys last season, Terence Newman was the guest on one of the shows, and Mickey asked him if the 3-4 is any different than a 4-3 for the secondary. And he said not at all. That is the best cover CB in the game telling you it isn't any different. Roy just got fat, and sucks because of it. Hopefully Mr. 38, as I will call him now, gets his ASS in gear.

1) I think Big Blue would possibly disagree and gave a diagnostic on how SS in a 4-3 is different than 3-4. He is correct. What Newman said ... whatever ... not sure he even said that.

2) Just the fact the 3-4 LB are so much bigger makes them more limited in coverage than the 4-3 equivalent. Light = better coverage as you so eloquently called Roy fat in this context.

3) So, if your LB cover better then your overall team covers better which means Roy is less a priority in coverage. This partially explains Sander D-MVP -- that Indy crew covers pretty damn good for LB -- as do most Tampa II LBers.

But whatever, it is fairly clear to me that true 3-4 lend itself to different coverage and schemes than a 4-3. To argue their is no integration between Front 7 and Back 4 when designing schemes or picking personnel is odd.

Roy Williams in Indy or Tampa slides right into a SS. Trade him to Denver for Javon Walker and he takes over for Lynch. Denver plays lots of man, their LB are fast and can cover some, Roy can play closer to the LOS to help the run D without taking away from the scheme. In this scheme, Roy at the LOS turns a 4-3-4 into a 4-4-3 but the OLB can run and cover space if a passing play develops.

But frankly, playing Roy Williams closer to the LOS in a 3-4 makes no sense. You need a 3-4 SS to play DB moreso than run support. Roy in a 3-4 personnel package plays the scheme closer to 3-5-3. And who needs a 3-5-3 in a pass happy NFL if the other 3-4 LBs can not run as well.

The 3 lightest LB in a 3-4 just don't run or cover as well as the 3 LB in a 4-3 but they stop the run better. This is why SS in a 3-4 needs better coverage skills moreso and a SS in a 4-3 needs to be more a hybrid and can play LB-lite as needed.

I hate this discussion and I am sorry for stating the obvious. Regardless, Roy Williams for Javon Walker is not crazy if you guys think this is a good idea.... at least in theory -- no clue on contracts. Helps both teams it seems. But Williams can play in the right scheme IMHO.

OT, anyone notice the Giants in 1990 beat the Bills playing a 2-4 and blitzing up the middle alot to prevent Kelly from moving around in the pocket? Interesting for this weekend if you ask me. Less beef and pressure in the middle.....

Last edited by kingjames : 01-31-2008 at 03:05 PM.
kingjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:39 AM    (permalink
bdlyons26
Rookie

bdlyons26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.bdlyons26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

since i got ripped for suggesting moving roy to olb in the 3-4 then i say we switch back to the 4-3 and move roy to olb and draft reggie smith to replace him at safety move d ware back to end and get rid of b carp and akin! or not lol just messing around but it would be funny. roy can't cover speedy recievers and hes a good run stopper and blitzer and hes around 230-235 perfect olb for the 4-3 and his sub 4.5 forty would make him a speedy backer!
don't ream me plz its just in retrospect
bdlyons26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

....Roy was dynamic in the 4-3 when he came into the league....saying not!lol!!!111 isn't really a good way to cope out of what your saying.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:12 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlyons26 View Post
since i got ripped for suggesting moving roy to olb in the 3-4 then i say we switch back to the 4-3 and move roy to olb and draft reggie smith to replace him at safety move d ware back to end and get rid of b carp and akin! or not lol just messing around but it would be funny. roy can't cover speedy recievers and hes a good run stopper and blitzer and hes around 230-235 perfect olb for the 4-3 and his sub 4.5 forty would make him a speedy backer!
don't ream me plz its just in retrospect
That would work. If we were playing madden.
Besides, I believe Bobby Carpenter would be a better ILB
in a 4-3 than Akin Ayodole AND Bradie James.
I'm not so sure i'd want D-Ware playing RE all game either..
but anyway, back to the point.
The Cowboys have pretty much put all their eggs in this 3-4 basket
so it makes absolutely no sense to go back unless they felt
they weren't doing themselves a good, but the defense is a few
players away from being close to dominant.

I agree whole-heartedly that we need a big fat nose tackle
that can be explosive and hold is own. Jay Ratliff and Tank Johnson
played admirably this season, but Ratliff at end would make him twice as
good as he is now. Canty is a monster, and taking him in the 4th
almost makes up for taking Spears in the 1st.
At this point i dont think it would be very smart to trade away defensive
linemen.. they can all play a role in the defense, none have huge salaries
and you're not gonna get the value you invested.

As far as the 3-4 being a successful change from a 4-3, i'd
say you can give the Cowboys a 'B', seeing as they missed on a few
prospects that were taken high and some aren't being allowed to perform to their abililties, or have just simply regressed (Carpenter, Spears, Burnett, Williams, Ayodole, and the jury is out on Spencer).
This team as a whole is a bit away from being a true superbowl contender
because as we have seen the past two years, there have been meltdowns
on both sides of the ball that have led to their demise in the playoffs.
Last year it was mainly the defense, and this year
the offense kinda dwindled towards the end.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Our needs... RB, LT, LG, WR, DE, NT, ILB, CB, NB, FS, SS.
Not in that order, right?

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:41 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

bobindallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
....Roy was dynamic in the 4-3 when he came into the league....saying not!lol!!!111 isn't really a good way to cope out of what your saying.
You did not like Roy's play his first two years?

That is a bit shocking. Even I liked Roy. Go figure.
bobindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:48 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Great Argument

For argumentís sake, why could we not try moving Spears to NT and moving Ratliff back out to end?

I know we have tried moving Spears inside for nickel on occasion, how do you guys feel that worked out this year?
- Atlanta Falcons GM
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

bobindallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
For argumentís sake, why could we not try moving Spears to NT and moving Ratliff back out to end?
Great idea! Love it.
bobindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spears played the nose in weak 17....and it was ugly..not saying that he couldn't...or that it was the best group around him...just that it was a failed attempt...but then again that whole game happened to be one.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:19 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You said it, the whole game was ugly!
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spears can salvage his career as a 4-3 NT. I think that might be his best fit. He's a very good run stuffer but can't create any pressure. He sounds like a 4-3 NT to me. And he has the body for it too.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Ware_HITStick
Rookie

Ware_HITStick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He was always a 4-3 NT in my eyes...