Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 02-22-2008, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Vandy Connection

Quote:
Vanderbilt wide receiver Earl Bennett has been at Chip Smith's joint in Atlanta working out with Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler since Jan 10. Word is, Cutler is telling Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shannahan to draft Bennett, which isn't surprising.
http://draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

Will Jay be able to sway Shanahan? Bennett would be a nice addition if Walker gets traded... though he's not the kind of deep threat you'd expect the Broncos to be looking for.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

MIDDLE MEN: With free agency thin at defensive tackle, the Broncos have expressed an interest in acquiring Detroit's talented but enigmatic Shaun Rogers, who's on the trade block. But one other name to watch via that route is the New York Jets'

Dewayne Robertson, who is only 26 years old and five years removed from being a top-10 pick.

Robertson has a balky contract that includes a high base salary and cap figure in excess of $11 million that will need restructuring if he's ultimately dealt.

But the feelers the Jets are putting out at the combine to gauge the market, which certainly has piqued the Broncos' interest, has more to do with the defensive tackle's lack of a fit within New York's 3-4 scheme than finances.

Robinson is regarded as a high-character performer and would be a solid acquisition as an experienced player in his prime at a need position with Denver.

------------------------
Dear Lord please let the Denver Broncos get Robinson. Rogers can rot.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Apparently God, or at least Shanny, doesn't listen to my prayers.

The Broncos are in aggressive discussions to trade for Detroit Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

If no hitches develop, the trade is expected to be done as early as tonight or early Tuesday.

It's unclear what the Broncos would give the Lions for Rogers, 28, a University of Texas product.

The 6-foot-4, 340-pounder has drawn the ire of Lions general manager Matt Millen because of weight problems. Millen has said the former Pro Bowl selection could be fined if the issue isn't resolved.

The Broncos' biggest trade last offseason came with the Lions, who sent defensive back Dre' Bly to Denver for offensive tackle George Foster and running back Tatum Bell.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I'm pretty sure i remember one of you guys wanting the broncos to look into a trade for Dewayne Robertson. I figured you'd find this intersting.

"Apparently, NFL Radio’s Solomon Wilcotts is reporting that the Jets and Broncos are back around the negotiation table, working “feverishly” to try and hammer out a deal for Dewayne Robertson."

It would most likely be for a 4th or 5th rounder, something very low. It allows you guys to focus on different things in the draft and not have to deal with a potential "bidding war" with the bengals. I know both of you missed out on getting rogers or jenkins and drob would not be a bad consolation. Some people are nervous about his knee, but i can tell you he's missed 3 games in 5 years, all of those coming in a single season; he's played in every game the last two years as well. I wouldn't be too concerned about this knee condition.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its sad to say that I think the Broncos might be "forced" to trade for Robertson even though I don't want them to. He's an average DT, but he is a vet that can come in and start next to Thomas while a rookie DT is brought along slowly.
So, I don't really want the Broncos to trade for him, but they may have to in order to field a respectable DL next year, otherwise its last place in rushing defense.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

I would like to bring Robertson in. From what I've read he is a good character guy and he has a good motor. He was just in a scheme (3-4) that didn't fit him. He will probably be better than anything else the Broncos have at DT, plus he is young (26) with potential to get better.

Hell...I think every year he has had better stats than any other Bronco d-lineman (including Pryce).

2003 (43 tackles, 1.5 sacks)
2004 (53 tackles, 3 sacks)
2005 (43 tackles, 3.5 sacks)
2006 (62 tackles, 2.5 sacks)
2007 (57 tackles, 4.0 sacks)
Old 03-13-2008, 01:40 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Rascal, you're 100% right that he's a great character guy and has never once complained about being in a scheme that didn't fit him. He's come along way since his rookie season and at only 26 he'd be a good fit for you guys.

I did just see on rotoworld that "Sources tell Newsday's Tom Rock that Domonique Foxworth would not be involved in a trade for Dewayne Robertson.
The source tells Rock the Broncos are close to signing Foxworth to the long-term deal he's been looking for this offseason. Rock was told the trade could involve another Broncos player, although it's not clear who."

I'm not too familiar with your situation; is there anyone who is on the bubble of being cut or very unhappy in denver? Besides foxworth i havn't heard of anyone on the trading block for you guys.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:02 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Well that source has since said the opposite about Denver and Foxworth agreeing to a long term deal. So I can say with confidence that they have no idea what is going on.

Well some of the other guys we tendered are Abdullah, Myers, and Paymah off the top of my head. I know Myers wants a bigger deal than what Denver may want to give him, but I doubt he would fit your system. Paymah is a better man-2-man guy that Foxworth is (who excels more at zone), whereas Abdullah is a FS/SS type. To be honest I'm shocked Abdullah only got a seventh round tender (same for Myers).
Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Robertson is in Denver getting a physical.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:52 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would Pat Sims be a good Broncos pick in the second?

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
Yes. DT is a major need... bordering on a crisis, in fact. Sims would fit well in our 4-3... though you have to wonder about the character issues (Sims and Marcus Thomas side-by-side? Could be trouble...)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:14 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

jaffe28 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
Pat Sims should be one of our main targets in the 2nd. Diehard might be right about the character stuff for Sims though.
jaffe28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Dewayne Robertson signing is still viable

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3322848

At least he is 26 and not 36 years old - good motor, good character and good frame - we certainly have done worse and a long term contract (see all DT's / DE's we have not signed to long term contracts) is a neoteric approach.
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/neoteric

Main Entry: ne·o·ter·ic Listen to the pronunciation of neoteric
Pronunciation: \ˌnē-ə-ˈter-ik\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Late Latin neotericus, from Late Greek neōterikos, from Greek, youthful, from neōterios, comparative of neos new, young — more at new
Date: 1596

: recent in origin : modern
Old 04-01-2008, 04:56 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
and proving point B. thank you merriam webster, for supplying a nearly wholly irrelevant definition of a word that is used to describe poetic forms. and thank YOU random user, for utterly failing to post anything about football while trolling a post that was almost completely tongue in cheek. cheers.
Says the egotistical moderator who took the time to go off on somebody for using the word in the first place despite the fact that almost every dictionary defined the word as how "M" used it (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neoteric). Unfortunately same moderator was unable to determine the difference between an almost completely tongue in cheek comment and one that is a complete tongue in check comment.

http://www.neotericcosmetics.com/

Moving on to a broncos discussion...apparently Jay isn't very happy with Marshall.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...s--field-woes/

Last edited by rascal : 04-01-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
jefepowhnzer
Rookie

jefepowhnzer hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Per PFT via USA Today, Cutler got into Marshall pretty good today. I really hope Marshall turns it around. I'm an Eagles fan but Marshall has been one of my favorite players since he came into the league and I really hope he succeeds. To me him and Cutler are one of my favorite QB-WR duos to watch. If they both make it to their peak years in Bronco's uni's you guys will be tough to deal with. I hope the fact that his QB ripped him will help him mature.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...marshall_N.htm
jefepowhnzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:18 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefepowhnzer View Post
Per PFT via USA Today, Cutler got into Marshall pretty good today. I really hope Marshall turns it around. I'm an Eagles fan but Marshall has been one of my favorite players since he came into the league and I really hope he succeeds. To me him and Cutler are one of my favorite QB-WR duos to watch. If they both make it to their peak years in Bronco's uni's you guys will be tough to deal with. I hope the fact that his QB ripped him will help him mature.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...marshall_N.htm
I hate when national papers and mags get stuff wrong. Since when is Kuper getting first chance to replace Lepsis? I thought Ryan Harris or our 1st round pick was first in line.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 AM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffe28 View Post
I hate when national papers and mags get stuff wrong. Since when is Kuper getting first chance to replace Lepsis? I thought Ryan Harris or our 1st round pick was first in line.
Guess I spoke too soon. The following is from The Rocky Mountain News.

"Offensive line changes

With the draft and free agency still to go before training camp starts in July, Shanahan laid out how he expects the team's offensive line to look.

If the team lined up today to play a game, Tom Nalen would be at center, Ben Hamilton and Montrae Holland at left and right guards and Chris Kuper at left tackle and Erik Pears at right tackle.

'It will depend on how we go through (offseason workouts), but Kuper would probably get the nod over (Ryan) Harris because of how he played last year,' Shanahan said.

Hamilton is coming back after missing all of the 2007 season recovering from a concussion suffered in training camp. Nalen, who will turn 37 in May, is coming back after missing 11 games last season with a torn right biceps."
Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

in fact, no part of that post had anything to do with "ego", but i'm sure it's difficult to think of big words that aren't really personal attacks. since you're new here, i have essentially NEVER agreed with M about anything, although i tend to respect his opinion most of the time. i had no interest in agreeing with this post, so i disagreed with a small part of it. i'm ecstatic that you found a link to a cosmetics store, even though the fact that they named themselves poorly has little to do with anything. when one tends to make a tongue in cheek comment on a message board, in which one cannot read facial expressions, one tends to leave clues that a comment shouldn't be taken seriously. thus, including a completely irrelevant comment with something of substance. no part of this should really be rocket science.

First, yes you are egotistical. Second, irony at its finest.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Quote:
i don't know that i like kuper at LT any more than i like pears at any starting T position. i don't know that i've ever seen him play and thought anything other than "well.. i guess he could be a solid G for us...."

*shrug* don't know that it matters. no matter how crappy he is, if he's beating out harris...
I'm not particularly thrilled at the idea of Kuper at LT either. Harris might beat him out in training camp, though Harris' back makes me nervous for the long term. I'm still thinking that Clady or Williams has the best chance of being the long term solution. Maybe even Otah if we can trade back a few spots to take him.

Pears is servicable but I like him better as a backup not a starter.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
in all honesty, these moves, paired with the moves on defense have me seriously concerned that the team will attempt to pass off WR as our only need, thus leading to us drafting desean jackson, eddie royal and whatever other 5 crappy WRs end up being available at our various picks.
Shanahan also mentioned that Keary Colbert was signed to be our #2 WR... complete with some foolish Rod Smith / Eddie Mac comparisons. Really, the way he was talking you'd think the team had no needs. Whatever.

I'd say we're in full pre-draft propaganda mode at the moment. Shanahan might as well just take a **** in a bucket and give it to the press corps... that would be just as informative as the stuff that's coming out of his mouth right now.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
i guess i'm more hopeful then that the S and LB signings are largely irrelevant to our draft strategy, though i'd certainly hope LT is up there someplace.
I agree - the moves at S and LB are temporary patches rather than long-term solutions, though we might get a legit starter out of it (I'm hoping Niko at MLB... he's about the only one who's actually missed by his old team).

This is a good, deep draft for LB's... we need to take one. The S pool is a lot weaker, but we could probably get still get someone who'd be an upgrade, particularly at the SS spot.

I think we are a lock to take an OT in this draft, regardless of what Shanahan says.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:44 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I'd say we're in full pre-draft propaganda mode at the moment. Shanahan might as well just take a **** in a bucket and give it to the press corps... that would be just as informative as the stuff that's coming out of his mouth right now.
The first thing I thought when I read the Kuper comment was that Shanahan was trying to give a bit of pause to teams that might trade up to get Clady or Williams ahead of #12. I hope so anyway...

DeSean Jackson is my current nightmare...we can get a similar player in the fourth round in someone like Dexter Jackson or other athletic return specialist.

Just to revise my top 5 choices for the #12 pick...

Co #1s) Ryan Clady or Chris Williams
2) Keith Rivers
3) Branden Albert (probably a bit high but he's gonna be a long time starter)
4) Jeff Otah
5) Kenny Phillips (also maybe a bit high but he'll be a starter as well)

I wish there was a DT worth taking but unless Ellis or Dorsey falls nobody is worth taking. I haven't been thinking much about DE because we drafted Moss and Crowder last year, but what do you all think of taking Derrick Harvey if he's there?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:52 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Packers @ Broncos in the third week of the preseason.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:21 AM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Quote:
not to cherry pick (you made other good points), but DE would, imo, be a crap pick. granted we need help, but after taking crowder and moss, and with a young dumervil (and good veteran depth), i can't see how we take someone at the spot. in all honesty, it might be one of the ultimate last positions on the team i would be looking to draft were i in shanny's shoes this week.
It's not cherry picking if I ask :) . I actually agree with you the DE is a low priority. The main reasons I thought about it are that I'm not sold on Moss, Crowder looks solid but may not turn into much of a pass rusher, and Elvis is a great pass rusher but wasn't holding up well against the run on early downs. Engelberger is also solid but not spectacular, and who knows how Ekuban will be this season. Basically I look at the DE situation and see a lot of players that are all over the place in skill set which doesn't help the defense define itself.

That said, I'll throw stuff at the TV if they pick a DE in the first round.

Just out of curiousity, how does everyone rank our team needs? I'd go:

1. DT
2. LB, OT
3. KR
4. S, WR
5. K, P
6. C
7. OG, DE, RB, CB
8. QB, TE