Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 01-04-2007, 10:33 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

i buy bush falling past us actually, and in all honesty, i tend to agree about the RB. however, i think the needs on both lines are MUCH higher, as much as tatum's ineffectiveness (in whatever form, i know i'm generalizing) pained me all year.

as soon as lepsis went down, it became clear our line, well, needed some help. foster was pretty clearly (to me, at least) not capable of starting at RT for us. in any way. pears, who may be good some day, was just bad this year. somehow, somewhere, we have to address this position.

our d-line was terrible. dumervil looked grea,t but he just didn't seem to get there enough for me (due to playing time as well). we need someone to make plays on the d-line and we just didn't have it this year.

moving past the first day, i think DB depth is a need (but i think it would be stupid to try to fill it before round 3, and preferably not till round 5) as is LB depth. i was completely unimpressed by webster. WR depth would be nice, but i don't believe it's a dire need. if plummer's gone, clearly a back-up QB is also needed, and while i'd prefer a veteran, it might be cheaper to grab a 6th or 7th round guy to do it. and don't talk to me about bringing back BVP, the guy was terrible.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wide Receiver is a day one need.

Smith is on the verge of retirement.

What if Walker or Marshall go down?

We have three receivers; one of them who is destined for a walker at the end of this season. The rest are all returners.

It may not be a round one need; but it's first day.

If the Broncos decided to take a receiver in round one; I probably wouldn't be surprised or mad. It'd depend on who is there.

The defensive line needs a pass rusher.

We need a stud RB; if Lynch was somehow within the range of us getting him, I'd be so happy. Even if it means we trade our second or early third.

We need an offensive tackle for the future; at least a depth player.

We need a defensive back. The Broncos love Cox and Abdullah; and with Ferguson and Brandon being healthy next year; I don't think we'll spend more than a late-first day selection on a safety.

An additional receiver would be nice.

Four picks on the first day; five "pressing" needs.

One of them will have to wait; or two; if we double dip. However; these needs or some will be met in FA; I hope.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:45 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

or shanny will get someone to take plummer/bell for some obscene pick they're not worth.

EDIT: i think we can fill WR later in the draft or by picking up some older veteran guys. i just hate to think about spending a pick on a guy who will take a few years to develop (then again, marshall is a pretty solid counter example).
Old 01-04-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we should go DT in the first, unless Lynch is there. A guy like Okoye or Tyler or especially Dorsey would stop us from getting gashed by good RBs, as well as provide solid pressure up the middle. I really like Dorsey, he could be the next Tommie Harris. 2nd round, maybe then we pull the trigger on a RB.

I was thinking with one of the thirds, maybe Marcus Thomas? He's a first round talent, but obviously he has character concerns. He's a good pass rusher, so if we pick up a run stopping DT he can also be used.

We could probably address safety in day 1 as well.

Or swindle Dan Snyder and Matt Millen by doing the trade I proposed in the draft forum, in the #2 pick thread, and the Triple X radio thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:29 AM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
or shanny will get someone to take plummer/bell for some obscene pick they're not worth.

EDIT: i think we can fill WR later in the draft or by picking up some older veteran guys. i just hate to think about spending a pick on a guy who will take a few years to develop (then again, marshall is a pretty solid counter example).
The receivers just needed a chance and with Rod on the verge of retirement people will get that chance.

Rod has been slowing down for about 3 years but has got by on name basis.

The Broncos are going to need someone when Rod retires so why not add a younger kid to the mix?

I'd like a proven FA too; but that'll either push Rod or Brandon back. A younger player learns from Javon and Rod; which should help and has the luxury of learning the system and making an impact on special teams, returning, etc. and getting worked into the game plan slowly.

It's worth a look. . .
Old 01-05-2007, 06:40 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

certainly good points. i need to look into the guys available a bit more. maybe i'm just a bit trigger shy after lelie.

what's the deal with hixon? any word on whether they like him or not? i don't think guys like devoe or adams are good for anything more than depth anymore, but i remember a lot of guys being high on him.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Hixon's an ideal #4 receiver and would be great in four wide sets; but to think that he has much receiving potential outside that is rather foolish.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What would you guys think of taking Brandon Mebane in the late 2nd to 3rd round range?
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

okay, so assuming the top 15 are all gone, what player would you like to see denver take?

I would like to see us (the broncos) draft a right tackle, Defensive tackle or end, a running back, wide reciever, backup qb, and safety, we also need depth at corner. we have a lot of needs to fill. Having that said, realisticly, i would love to snatch Jake Long, because michigan runs zone blocking, and i dont like foster. Unfortunatly, he is staying in school. Are there any other players like long out there? Is it really true that erik pears played badly this year? i thought he was playing well...

I also want to adress the center position, i think once eslinger stays healthy, he could be the next nalen. (stretch) He was almost as good as nick mangold in college at Minny, and he has all the technique to be a great one. Oppinions?

do we need to replace either bells at running back? you could argue that if tatum had played more games he could have been a 1400 yard back.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good points by everyone.

I disagree w/WR being a day one pick. I'd rather pick up a veteran receiver thru FA than a WR thru the draft. OTOH, both lines have to be addressed immediately imo. Our running inconsistencies weren't ALL on the Bells... the OLine was pretty bad too (hopefully Lepsis' return will help greatly). Also, our DLine was a 3 quarter DLine. They were too exhausted in the fourth and could apply no pressure. Also, uncharacteristically they became too tired against the running game as well.

In addition, one thing someone hasn't mentioned is... punter. I said in the beginning that getting rid of Sauerbrun was a mistake. It turned out to be true. Ernster was HORRIBLE. He has one hell of a weak leg during kickoffs.

Also, with Elam getting old, would it be worth giving Crosby a look late second or early third?

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namy
Good points by everyone.

I disagree w/WR being a day one pick. I'd rather pick up a veteran receiver thru FA than a WR thru the draft. OTOH, both lines have to be addressed immediately imo. Our running inconsistencies weren't ALL on the Bells... the OLine was pretty bad too (hopefully Lepsis' return will help greatly). Also, our DLine was a 3 quarter DLine. They were too exhausted in the fourth and could apply no pressure. Also, uncharacteristically they became too tired against the running game as well.

In addition, one thing someone hasn't mentioned is... punter. I said in the beginning that getting rid of Sauerbrun was a mistake. It turned out to be true. Ernster was HORRIBLE. He has one hell of a weak leg during kickoffs.

Also, with Elam getting old, would it be worth giving Crosby a look late second or early third?
i'd say yeah its worth it, we havent seen someone with his leg since sea-bass
Old 01-05-2007, 05:33 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

i LOVE mason. seriously. he was the only thing that kept my alma mater relevant this year. but i don't like the pick.

sauerbrun's still a FA, and i'm sure there are some other guys we could bring in during training camp, i just hate to piss away draft picks on kickers (otoh, if elam were really done, i'd have a different opinion).

on pears: he was terrible. granted he's young and can get better, but nothing in his play indicated to me that he could be a starting LT in the league.

tatum turned the ball over too much and i'm just not sold on mike. i think the fact that i even agree that rb should be a first round consideration speaks to the relative quality of our players right now. and just because i haven't said it yet, yes, i would really like to get lynch. if he's there... well, he's the only guy i wouldn't be pissed at denver for drafting over d-line (at least, who's projected to be in our range).

and i wasn't ever high on hixon, but from other opinions, he sounded like a major steal (odd given that he's been PS'ed all year).
Old 01-05-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
3projectPAT6
Rookie

3projectPAT6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i really think reciever is pretty set. David kircus could be an excellent slot (shannahan has said hes the fastest WR on the team). And at this point i would actually perfer Rod to retire, because come next year Marshall is gonna be well deserving of the #2 spot, and a fourth string WR really isnt a first day need.

Sig byDLS42
3projectPAT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway777
What would you guys think of taking Brandon Mebane in the late 2nd to 3rd round range?
I have him rated higher than Scott; I'd love the pick.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by elway777
I have him rated higher than Scott; I'd love the pick.
Me too (see sig). I think his game would translate best as an under-tackle in a Tampa 2 style defense though.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Drafting a wide receiver can help now and for the future; that's the whole point of using a day one selection on a kid. Contribute in our big packages, and hopefully can help on special teams.

Outside Walker; what proven young talent do we have? Really?

When Rod retires; do we look for a rookie then? No. You get ahead of the game and eliminate a future need right away; and it wouldn't be at the expense of other needs.

If you bring in a FA that's fine too; but I'd rather bring in a young kid.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Me too (see sig). I think his game would translate best as an under-tackle in a Tampa 2 style defense though.
At this point; the Broncos just need a defensive tackle who can penetrate the pocket and Mebane has proven the ability to do that. I think our lineman are really inhibited by Coyer's defensive schemes; but they are still a weak crop overall.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Stats
Veteran

Stats hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Chris,NJX, do you think Elvis Dumervil will always be a strict pass rusher only type of player?

Im asking because nearly half of his tackles came off sacks, and from what I saw this year he really struggled to shed tackles and stop the run.
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:44 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

*shrug* i'm not sure he'll ever be an every down player, but then, this was his rookie year, i'm certainly not ruling it out. personally, i like him a lot as a rotational guy, but i don't think i like him as a starter right now.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Early Denver Mock

I know some people don't think WR is a day one need. But to be able to get a PR / KR and a solid WR in one guy, is hard to pass up on. I can only imagine Cutler's arm, and this guy on the same team. He would be a perfect fit for us.

We need a pass rush, this guy is good. enough said really. Although, its wishful thinking he will drop this far to be honest. but I can hope =)

Good DT, solid pick up for us here.

Off the field issues causes him to drop this low. Talent wise he should be a first rounder, however despite character issues, our need at saftey is good enough to grab a first round talent with this pick.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:21 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

hey, great picks

i think that ginn would be the perfect fit and i hope shanahan adresses or KR needs although morgan picked up the slack the last 2 weeks. i dont think we would use a top 25 pick as a kick returner, thats just me.

also, shanahan hates off the field problems, and i garuntee with the williams issue, he stays away from any of it
Old 01-06-2007, 07:37 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

ginn won't be there, someone will fall in love with the athleticism and take him well before they should.

and didn't we learn from the last guy we drafted just becasue he was fast? assuming he plays football, i'd rather get samardzija there.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
ginn won't be there, someone will fall in love with the athleticism and take him well before they should.

and didn't we learn from the last guy we drafted just becasue he was fast? assuming he plays football, i'd rather get samardzija there.
yes but this fast guy can KR/PR 8)
Old 01-06-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

If you wish to watch his Funeral, its on live feed thru many tv stations in denver, here is the one i am using now

http://kcnc.dayport.com/viewer/viewe...ategory_ID =5

so sad someone has to go like he did, almost gone thru a whole box of kleenex already