Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 04-01-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
Posted by Omar Kelly at 8:44:26 AM
If you believe the Mambo King is giving up professional football to become the Lord of the Dance you might as well bet the farm that the Dolphins will also win the Super Bowl this season.

Neither are happening. At least not anytime soon. It's April Fools folks. Jason Taylor's not retiring, despite what ProFootballtalk is says. Got to love the Internet!

And according to coach Tony Sparano, Taylor's also not going anywhere, unless he retires, which backs up what V.P. of Football Operations, Bill Parcells has been saying. And two NFL executives recently backed up those claims.

On Tuesday Sparano said the Dolphins have big plans for Taylor, who will fill that Lawrence Taylor role in the Dolphins 3-4 defense, which coincidentally Sparano is not committing to despite the team presently being built for it
Blue,

Lets hope the April Fools Joke is that Taylor is not getting traded... He needs to go for picks.... I still think (and pray) he goes before the draft........

Agree with you with taking Jake over Chris, though I would take Gholston over all of them.......
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:08 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

BigBlueCrew56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I feel good with what Sparano had to say about Jason Taylor being a big part of what they want to do on defense. He also blurted out his defense during the interview. He also gushed about Charlie Anderson being a viable backup at OLB.

OLB Jason Taylor ILB Reggie Torbor ILB Channing Crowder OLB Joey Porter

DE Vonnie Holliday/Matt Roth DT Jason Ferguson DE Randy Starks
BigBlueCrew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I feel good with what Sparano had to say about Jason Taylor being a big part of what they want to do on defense. He also blurted out his defense during the interview. He also gushed about Charlie Anderson being a viable backup at OLB.

I guess he just forgot about Vernon Gholston... jeez! :)

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
I guess he just forgot about Vernon Gholston... jeez! :)

Good stuff Bow HAHAHAHA

Let me tell you Bow if you get Gholston right as the pick this year you will be officially crowned in my book as the Dolphin draft Nastradamus. I havent forgotten your Ted Ginn Jr. call last year.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:

He gushed about Anderson and he said Taylor was here to stay. Take any talk about Taylor with a grain of salt tho. The team isn't going to come out and say Taylor is on the block as his value will instantly go down. Ireland and Tuna will say JT is a Miami Dolphin until they deal him for picks.

However, I love you selective reading. You talk about them gushing over Anderson and keeping Taylor. However, you completely ignore Sparano saying that Carey is the starting LT and Mormino is the starting LG. You also ignore Ireland saying that they will not draft for need early in the draft. Funny how you only point out the aspects that help your guy.

Fact is, nothing that was said today has changed anything. He said things that benefit and hurt all candidates for the top pick. We are no closer now to knowing who we will pick then we were yesterday and trying to put together selective parts of article on the web to show otherwise is a waste of time.

Oh and for all the talk about financial implications. Paying a RT 1st pick money is just as bad as paying an OLB 1st pick money. And remember Bill Parcells has the final say in this. He is not a money guy, he is a football guy. He knows that no matter what he is gonna dish out tons of cash and he doesn't care because at the end of the day there is nothing be can do about it.What he can do is just go out and get the best player possible. So whoever is ranked at number 1 on his draft board is who he is taking.

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 04-01-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Draft predictions if we dont go offensive line

OT Jake Long- Rams,Falcons,Cheifs

OT Ryan Clady- Cheifs,Broncos,Panthers

OT Chris Williams- Bears,Panthers,Broncos,Lions, or Eagles

OT Jeff Otah- Cheifs,Bears,Lions,Eagles,Pittsburgh

OT Gosder Cherilus- Bears,Pittsburgh,San Diego,49ers

OG Branden Alberts- Pittsburgh or Seattle

Players availible when the phins draft at the top of the 2nd

OT Anthony Collins, OT Sam Baker, Carl Nicks

In my own opinion the Phins will have to reach for one the offensive lineman still left on the board with the top pick in the second. If they wait until the later pick in the second they might be left with nobody who can step in day one and make an impact. This is why I am stressing the importance of drafting Jake Long at #1. If we draft Jake at #1 then we are in the driver's seat to take the BPA at many positions that are going to be of real good value at the top of the 2nd round of the draft such as

QB Chad Henne or Joe Flacco

CB Brandon Flowers or CB Antoine Cason

OG Chilo Rachal

ILB Erin Henderson or ILB Curtis Lofton

DE/OLB Lawrence Jackson or Cliff Avril

All of these players grade out better then the values of Collins,Baker, or Nicks.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Cherilus, Collins, Baker, Nicks and maybe if we get lucky a guy like Otah will be there in early round 2. Not to mention, our number 32 pick is likely to get dealt. Tuna likes draft day trades more then most and loves to move up and down draft boards to get the guys he wants.

Believe me, he's not gonna sit there and draft Nicks if he thinks he can get him 7-8 picks later. He will trade out with a team that wants someone would slips and he will stockpile picks for later.

BTW...I think you are severly underestimating Nicks, Baker and Collins. Any other year, those guys are getting looks as low 1st round picks. Think along the lines of Joe Staley. As a matter of fact, before Baker pulled out of the draft last season, he was ranked ahead of Joe Staley. Nicks, Baker and Collins can all make an impact right away at RT for us.

Don't think that because we are getting the number 5-7 ranked player at a position that he is a bad player. This just happens to be a very deep position this season and many of the players at OT are going to be taken later then they would go any other year.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:02 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Cherilus, Collins, Baker, Nicks and maybe if we get lucky a guy like Otah will be there in early round 2. Not to mention, our number 32 pick is likely to get dealt. Tuna likes draft day trades more then most and loves to move up and down draft boards to get the guys he wants.

Believe me, he's not gonna sit there and draft Nicks if he thinks he can get him 7-8 picks later. He will trade out with a team that wants someone would slips and he will stockpile picks for later.

BTW...I think you are severly underestimating Nicks, Baker and Collins. Any other year, those guys are getting looks as low 1st round picks. Think along the lines of Joe Staley. As a matter of fact, before Baker pulled out of the draft last season, he was ranked ahead of Joe Staley. Nicks, Baker and Collins can all make an impact right away at RT for us.

Don't think that because we are getting the number 5-7 ranked player at a position that he is a bad player. This just happens to be a very deep position this season and many of the players at OT are going to be taken later then they would go any other year.
Carl Nicks- Off the field problems (Getting kicked out proday too me doesnt project well for this regime)

Sam Baker- I see him more as a guard and think he may be too soft to play for Parcells. Per reports he lacks a nasty demeanor and gets pushed back often. Doesnt seem the type to project in a run 1st offense. Seems more like Zone Block OT.

Anthony Collins- I like him but I like him as a project player. Not someone who is going to step in right away and protect a young QB. He is no where near the caliber player Jake Long is. Not even Close bro.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:05 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

That photo of Allen Bailey by the way is gangsta. Cant wait to see him light some fools up.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:

Joe,

No way Otah drops that far. Definite top 20 pick. In fact, I think in round 1 you will see 6 guys go at the OL position. J. Long, Clady, Otah, B. Albert, Williams and Cherilus.

As for Baker and Collins, both are finesse style LT's. I don't think either fits what they are trying to do and I really think both would be bad choices at the top of round 2. Nicks is intriguing, but he does have the off the field stuff going on. If they were to move down in round 2 and maybe use the pick that they rec'd for Chambers to take him, I would be interested. Before that, I probably would not touch him. Maybe a Chilo Rachal high in round 2 to play G?

I really think he may not address the OL til rounds 3 and 4. I think he may look more at effort guys like John Greco or Mike McGlynn. Also, remember the name Shawn Murphy. After reading about him and then seeing that Miami attended his pro day, I think he could be a late round steal and player of interest at the G position.

Hopefully, by the time draft day rolls around, they have some extra picks between rounds 2-5 (from tradedowns and hopefully a JT trade) that could help address a few more issues. Needs are important, but they have to take the best player available. Too much of a rebuild here to reach for needs.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Draft predictions if we dont go offensive line

OT Jake Long- Rams,Falcons,Cheifs

OT Ryan Clady- Cheifs,Broncos,Panthers

OT Chris Williams- Bears,Panthers,Broncos,Lions, or Eagles

OT Jeff Otah- Cheifs,Bears,Lions,Eagles,Pittsburgh

OT Gosder Cherilus- Bears,Pittsburgh,San Diego,49ers

OG Branden Alberts- Pittsburgh or Seattle

Players availible when the phins draft at the top of the 2nd

OT Anthony Collins, OT Sam Baker, Carl Nicks

In my own opinion the Phins will have to reach for one the offensive lineman still left on the board with the top pick in the second. If they wait until the later pick in the second they might be left with nobody who can step in day one and make an impact. This is why I am stressing the importance of drafting Jake Long at #1. If we draft Jake at #1 then we are in the driver's seat to take the BPA at many positions that are going to be of real good value at the top of the 2nd round of the draft such as

QB Chad Henne or Joe Flacco

CB Brandon Flowers or CB Antoine Cason

OG Chilo Rachal

ILB Erin Henderson or ILB Curtis Lofton

DE/OLB Lawrence Jackson or Cliff Avril

All of these players grade out better then the values of Collins,Baker, or Nicks.
Blue,

I think there is some great value in round 2, though I agree with you that the OT position may be a bit of a reach up there. Although Rachal at G would be a nice pick.

I like the idea of trading down and adding some more depth in rounds 3 to 5. In round 2, there should still be some excellent DB's and WR's to choose from (Patrick Lee, Andre Caldwell, James Hardy, Dajuan Morgan) to go along with the guys that you mentioned. I do think that at least 1, if not both of the QB's mentioned will be gone by their pick. I wish that some impact guys in the front seven on defense would be there in round 2, but I think the majority of those guys are going to be gone..
Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Joe,

One other OL name that I like is Duane Brown in rounds 3 to 4. Lots of potential at LT. Another guy is Kirk Barton who could be more of a guy in rounds 4-5 as a RT or G possibility....
Old 04-02-2008, 12:00 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He gushed about Anderson and he said Taylor was here to stay. Take any talk about Taylor with a grain of salt tho. The team isn't going to come out and say Taylor is on the block as his value will instantly go down. Ireland and Tuna will say JT is a Miami Dolphin until they deal him for picks.

However, I love you selective reading. You talk about them gushing over Anderson and keeping Taylor. However, you completely ignore Sparano saying that Carey is the starting LT and Mormino is the starting LG. You also ignore Ireland saying that they will not draft for need early in the draft. Funny how you only point out the aspects that help your guy.

Fact is, nothing that was said today has changed anything. He said things that benefit and hurt all candidates for the top pick. We are no closer now to knowing who we will pick then we were yesterday and trying to put together selective parts of article on the web to show otherwise is a waste of time.

Oh and for all the talk about financial implications. Paying a RT 1st pick money is just as bad as paying an OLB 1st pick money. And remember Bill Parcells has the final say in this. He is not a money guy, he is a football guy. He knows that no matter what he is gonna dish out tons of cash and he doesn't care because at the end of the day there is nothing be can do about it.What he can do is just go out and get the best player possible. So whoever is ranked at number 1 on his draft board is who he is taking.
I actually think that BBC's refusal to address Sparano saying Carey is the LT is just a mistake on his part, because it helps out Jake a little bit as our pick, because most people project him as a RT anyway, and a very good one at that. On the flipside, you are right though, taking a RT number one overall would be foolish, would cost too much, and just is not going to happen. When he named Carey the starting LT for next season, he might as well denounced Jake as our pick alltogether. That's how it's looking right now. Just like I have been saying all along, it is a two-horse race between Vernon Gholston and Chris Long. Chris being the favorite but with Gholston gaining some serious steam and momentum heading down the stretch run here. I feel more confident with each passing day about my Gholston prediction I made months ago. Don't get me wrong, I would be happy with either, I just see Gholston as the pick.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell

Last edited by thebow305 : 04-02-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=thebow305;984620]

Jake Long is out: Jake is certainly not that, especially because he will never be an ELITE Left Tackle in the NFL based on the perspective of many NFL draft experts.[quote]

Yeah, those draft experts are ALWAYS right.

Perhaps you can explain the Jake Long LT hate. I don't get it. The guy is a crushing run blocker and gave up 2 sacks in his college career, but isn't a good LT in the pros. Ryan Clady gave up way more than 2 sacks this year alone, yet I'm not hearing anyone question his LT ability.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict
hey Scott, are you going to reconsider certain workout guys (maybe chris long?), because as of now D-Mac is the only one with an 'elite prospect' level...

I don't foresee anyone getting that elusive fifth star right now.

The only one who would really even be in the running is Jake Long.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Also another tidbit for you guys it seems that both Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. have recently changed Jake Long to be there #1 pick. I would post the link but that would be a violation so go on and look for yourselves.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

We all know Scott like Jake Long more then most. Just like he liked BQ more then most last year.

As for McShay and Kiper. They rotate picks all the time. By the time the draft rolls around, they will have had Ryan, Chris Long, Jake Long and McFadden at the top of the draft that way when one of the guys gets picked they can say they were right all along. That's nothing new with the ESPN guys. That's how they handle things.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

I know I have been getting my head twisted in here over my support for Jake Long but the truth of the matter is I would be happy more then happy if we chose Chris Long. I just think Jake makes more sense at this time or should I say better yet the draft's top overall rated offensive tackle. We have done very little in the offseason to provide our QB's with adequate protection so I deem it necessary to have someone be able to start from day one with very little flaws in there game. Yes we could go out and select a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd but are they going to be as polised as per say Jake Long???? Now if we went on to sign a veteran like Barry Sims then it makes it more plausible for me to wait until later because Sims has been as starting tackle in this league for a long time. He might not be a very good one but he seems like a hold the fort type of guy.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
I know I have been getting my head twisted in here over my support for Jake Long but the truth of the matter is I would be happy more then happy if we chose Chris Long. I just think Jake makes more sense at this time or should I say better yet the draft's top overall rated offensive tackle. We have done very little in the offseason to provide our QB's with adequate protection so I deem it necessary to have someone be able to start from day one with very little flaws in there game. Yes we could go out and select a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd but are they going to be as polised as per say Jake Long???? Now if we went on to sign a veteran like Barry Sims then it makes it more plausible for me to wait until later because Sims has been as starting tackle in this league for a long time. He might not be a very good one but he seems like a hold the fort type of guy.
Blue,

No need to defend yourself on the Jake Long thing. He is one of the elite players in the draft. Each of us have our opinions on who the best choice is. I am not in the Chris Long camp myself. I would go VG or Jake before him..

One thing where I disagree with you is that I would not let a Barry Sims signing affect who we draft. He is a journeyman OT who can definitely play for you if you have nothing better, but I would not let that influence my pick at #1. I understand the logic of having him play and developing a lower choice, but if they feel J. Long is the best guy at #1, signing Barry Sims would not make me change that........
Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
The one and only way I would be content with Jake Long being the pick at # 1 is if I was assured we would be able to get either Calais Campbell or Quentin Groves at #32. That's the thing that scares me the most. This is a deep OT class. Most people say how deep this DE class is, from top to bottom. But it is not full of ELITE-Quality Hybrids. Once you get past Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, Quentin Groves, and maybe Calais (There's a chance he could play there), the drop off is HUGE! And all those guys are 1st round graded guys. There are plenty of OT's graded as solid Round 2 guys, but after the big 4 DE's, the only hybrid that is worthy of a 2nd round pick at all is Cliff Avril. And he is only a LATE 2nd rounder at BEST. And if you ask me, I would rather take the drop off from Jake Long to Gosder Cherilus, than Chris Long to Cliff Avril. Not much difference at all if the first two guys, but in the 2nd two, the gap is HUGE! That's my thinking, whether you agree or not. This is my biggest problem with taking Jake Long.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post

Yeah, those draft experts are ALWAYS right.

Perhaps you can explain the Jake Long LT hate. I don't get it. The guy is a crushing run blocker and gave up 2 sacks in his college career, but isn't a good LT in the pros. Ryan Clady gave up way more than 2 sacks this year alone, yet I'm not hearing anyone question his LT ability.
Still waiting.....
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:32 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Still waiting.....
Did you read my above post, I give my full reasoning why I don't want Long at number one, and it has nothing to do with him playing RT or LT.

Oh, and now you've forced me to do it.... I'm definitely giving DeSean to the Eagles in my next mock. Just for you're trolling! :p