Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wanted Cameron Jordan so bad. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
http://nesn.com/2014/04/report-tom-s...from-patriots/

Tony Pauline (credibility?) just dropped a potential bomb... the Patriots may look to take Tom Savage (QB, Pitt) with the 29th pick if they can't trade back.

I hadn't seen much of him play, so I just watched all I could find and I definitely liked what I saw. Most of his flaws seem (easily...) correctable. Things like footwork and timing with receivers (ball placement) are his biggest issues. Has good size and arm talent. Greg Schiano was the coach at Rutgers when Savage played there before being forced to transfer. Apparently, he interviewed REALLY well with the Patriots.

This all could be a huge smoke screen to try to get someone else to draft him and let the Patriots get a more prized possession or maybe it's a serious bit of interest.
If I had one of those pens from Men In Black that erases what you just saw, I would use it right now. Tony Pauline needs to stop putting these thoughts in my head.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I wanted Cameron Jordan so bad. :(
Yeah I did too. I thought it would happen because of the bloodlines, versatility, athletcism, etc...

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:12 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was more on the trade up for JJ Watt or draft Cameron Heyward with the 2nd first round pick bandwagon. I'm honestly still kind of shocked we didn't come out if that draft with a 5 tech.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty sure at one stage that year I said I would pass on both Jordan and Watt, if available, at 17 for Gabe Carimi with the knowledge that Cam Heyward would be there at 28

I also thought Solder would be a mega bust

As for this year I really can't pin anything down on this team. I suspect they trade out of the first but there have been rumors of moving up. If we stick at 28 and the board falls like this what would you guys do?

The top 5 WRs are gone (Sammy, Evans, OBJ, Lee and Cooks)
Ebron is gone
Matthews, Robinson, Martin and Lewan are all gone
Bortles, Teddy and Manziel are gone
Clowney, Mack and Barr are gone
Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Roby and Verrett are gone
Haha, Pryor and Jimmie Ward are gone
Donald, Nix, Hageman and Jernigan are gone

My preference would probably be XSF or Bitonio at this stage as I don't like the value of the WRs or TEs although I would maybe gamble on someone like Kony Ealy

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty much on board with taking the less sexy positions in round 1 despite every impulse I have otherwise. To me XSF and Jernigan are the 2 best reasonable value picks we could expect there. If neither are available, and nobody unforeseen like Barr or Ebron is available I think we should trade down. No dice to Nix, Hageman, or Bitonio in the first IMO.

I like Ealy, but I'm not sold on if he's going to be better than any of the 2nd round guys. If we could trade back and gamble that he's going to be there, and if not go with a Attaochu type if he's gone I'd be fine with that.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:15 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, here are a few thoughts I have over the direction(s) the Pats may go over the next few days:

1. Conventional wisdom to me says the will look at the trenches early, specifically along the offensive line. The guy who stands out to me is Joel Bitonio should he be available. Here is a guy who could probably play 4 positions along the line and I could see Belichick seeing a lot of Logan Mankins in him. I think ideally they would like to trade down in the low 30s and pick him there but if they can’t make a trade I could see him going at 29. The other guy I would watch is Xavier Sua’Filo at OG. He can probably only play RG in the NFL but right now that is a pretty big hole going forward. Either way I think we will see one of these guys start from day one and Dan Connolly and Ryan Wendell fighting it out at OC.

2. If they go along the defensive line I think the 3 guys who will be attractive to them are Kony Ealy, Demarcus Lawrence and Stephon Tuitt. Lawrence is a little undersized but is the best of the bunch at rushing the passer. Ealy has some upside and can play inside as well in certain situations. I am not a fan of Tuitt but can see him being a guy who Belichick would love, although I know we all said that about Cam Jordan a few years back.

3. I think this is the year that the Patriots move away from their rigid size requirements for defensive players. Looking at the players there now it only makes sense to play more cover 1 and cover 3 and be aggressive up front. For that I can see a speedy LB or big safety being drafted in the first 2 rounds. Should Shazier be available I would love that pick however I would imagine the Pats see it as more of a second or third round need. In that case I would love Telvin Smith. At safety the guy I really want is Deone Buccanon out of Washington State. I liked what Duron Harmon showed last year but in reality it is a spot which can be upgraded.

4. I don’t think we will see a TE drafted until the middle rounds. Ebron will be long gone by 29 and rumors are floating that ASJ could make his way into the first. If this happens it will move guys like Amaro and Niklas up the board. I would be comfortable with either with our second rounder now but both will likely be gone. That leaves Fiedorowicz who I think is a nice fit but do not want before the third. I could see a team taking him earlier than he should go.

5. WR is probably the wildcard of the bunch and a lot will depend on what unfolds before we pick. The buzz is that guys like Odell Beckham Jr and Brandin Cooks will go in the teens which is fine by me as they aren’t the type of guys we need. However, will that move Marqise Lee out of range for our first and will that ultimately put 2nd round guys like Moncrief, Matthews, Adams etc out of reach? I could see the Pats staff loving Kelvin Benjamin’s physical tools but put me down in the category of not wanting him before the 3rd.

6. I would like to wager that the Pats take a RB on the 2nd day. The depth isn’t what we would want and both Ridley and Vereen are in the final year of their contracts. Depending on which type of guy they want I could see Tre Mason, Bishop Sankey and Dri Archer being possibilities

Old 05-08-2014, 05:01 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some prospects I'd like on the first two days of the draft (with some chance of being there):

FIRST ROUND:

OT Joel Bitonio, Nevada
DT Dominique Easley, Florida
DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame*
LB C.J. Mosley, Alabama

SECOND ROUND:

WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida St.**
TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington*
TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame*
OG Gabe Jackson, Mississippi St.
DB Terrence Brooks, Florida St.

THIRD ROUND:

WR Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin
TE C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa
OG Chris Watt, Notre Dame
DT DaQuan Jones, Penn St.
LB Trevor Reilly, Utah
LB Jordan Tripp, Montana
DB Marqueston Huff, Wyoming
DB Dezmen Southward, Wisconsin
DB Brock Vereen, Minnesota
Old 05-08-2014, 05:13 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

I've really warmed up to Tuitt in the last couple of weeks. I think his success in the NFL is going to be entirely dependent on keeping his weight where it was his Sophmore season. Last year at year he looked fat and slow, but in reality we don't usually see Junior 6'6" DT's with 34" arms that accumulated 20+ sacks in college. Michael Brockers got picked a lot higher than Tuitt will go with a lot less production.

I think if we added a guy like him we could have a very imposing 3-4 D line if we wanted to depending on the matchup with Kelly-Wilfork-Tuitt.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:31 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I've really warmed up to Tuitt in the last couple of weeks. I think his success in the NFL is going to be entirely dependent on keeping his weight where it was his Sophmore season. Last year at year he looked fat and slow, but in reality we don't usually see Junior 6'6" DT's with 34" arms that accumulated 20+ sacks in college. Michael Brockers got picked a lot higher than Tuitt will go with a lot less production.

I think if we added a guy like him we could have a very imposing 3-4 D line if we wanted to depending on the matchup with Kelly-Wilfork-Tuitt.
I think my feelings on Tuitt stem from not knowing where he fits, and I think changing the system from what worked at the start of last year to accomodate him isn't a good idea. Yes he could be good at 5 technique but I don't want to go back to the days similar to when Deaderick played end in a 4 man front and have another +300lbs player on the edge. Tuitt isn't a guy who wins on the edge, he wins when he can engage the blocker and shed him, but he has only limited experience of playing at DT and I would rather ride with Kelly or Armstead at 3 technique.

I think if he gets down to 280 then that is ideal but I can't see Belichick asking him to slim down. I do like the 34 possibilities we could have when you look at Chandler, Nink, Collins and Hightower all possibilities to rush but I think it is counter productive to have a guy like Tuitt in an even front.

I loved the idea of Tuitt at the start of the year so maybe his heavier weight and injury caused him to drop in my eyes

Old 05-08-2014, 05:34 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Some prospects I'd like on the first two days of the draft (with some chance of being there):

FIRST ROUND:

OT Joel Bitonio, Nevada
LB C.J. Mosley, Alabama

SECOND ROUND:

WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida St.**
TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington*
TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame*
OG Gabe Jackson, Mississippi St.
DB Terrence Brooks, Florida St.

THIRD ROUND:

WR Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin
TE C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa
OG Chris Watt, Notre Dame
DT DaQuan Jones, Penn St.
LB Trevor Reilly, Utah
LB Jordan Tripp, Montana
DB Marqueston Huff, Wyoming
DB Dezmen Southward, Wisconsin
DB Brock Vereen, Minnesota
There is a lot of smoke over Easley recently and I would love his upside but I can't see BB using a first on him with his concerns.

I like Mosley as a player but I'm not sure he fits what we need. I would rather put Mayo back at MLB and draft a run and chase guy like Shazier over having Mosley at MLB and Mayo at WILL.

If we could get either Fiedorowicz or DaQuan Jones in the 3rd i would be pretty happy.

Tripp is also a guy who looks like a perfect Pat but the 3rd is maybe a bit rich for me.

Otverall solid list

Old 05-08-2014, 05:42 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

I'll put down what I would be ok with seeing more or less, based off of categories of situations:

Trade Up to early teens that will cost substantial draft assets from 2014 and 2015:

Aaron Donald
Mike Evans

I don't really suspect either to be there past 10 anymore, but those 2 are perfect complementary talents that make our team substantially better in 2014. We don't have anybody comparable to them, nor have we ever really in the BB era.

If they're still on the board in the early 20's, lets package our 3rd to move up:

Eric Ebron
Anthony Barr
Marquise Lee

Similar to before in that I don't think they'll be there, but all 3 are need positions, and would be near-top 10 talents in most drafts. Ebron would immediately stabilize the TE position, and would be able to complement Gronk if he's healthy. Barr I have seen fall in some mocks, but he's essentially the more pass rush oriented Jamie Collins. When I think of the players on this team that I would kill for another one of, Collins is pretty much at the top of the list. Lee is just an all around good receiver, nice speed, routes, catch anticipation. He could be the volume catcher with a more intermediate route mix to complement Dobson and Edelman.

Staying at 29:

XSF
Stephon Tuitt
Timmy Jernigan

None of the 3 are sexy picks, but we need to reinforce the interior lines sooner rather than later. I think they all have first round talent, and we've successfully coached guys like them before into consistent Pro-Bowl type players.

Trade down into early 2nd:

Joel Bitonio
Weston Richburg
Jeremiah Attoachu

The first 2 I see as being slightly less talented than XSF, but still good prospects. I like the potential of getting them while picking up another pick in the process if we're going to go that route.

Attaochu is just a great complementary talent to what we have at DE. He brings speed to the table to mix up what Ninkovich and Jones bring on the power front.

The Mark Ingram type Trade:

I could see teams trying to move into the late 1st, it would take a ton of discipline not to select all of the great talent, but next year in all likelihood will be a fantastic QB year. It also coincides with the right time for us to begin looking for our next QB. If the coaching staff feels that Hundley, Mariota, Winston, ect. is the next guy, I wouldn't mind having the assets to make it happen.

*I could probably talk myself into Teddy Bridgewater this year if it happened in the 1st, I really like his fit here, just not the contract timeline*

Last edited by cmarq83 : 05-08-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:47 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I think my feelings on Tuitt stem from not knowing where he fits, and I think changing the system from what worked at the start of last year to accomodate him isn't a good idea. Yes he could be good at 5 technique but I don't want to go back to the days similar to when Deaderick played end in a 4 man front and have another +300lbs player on the edge. Tuitt isn't a guy who wins on the edge, he wins when he can engage the blocker and shed him, but he has only limited experience of playing at DT and I would rather ride with Kelly or Armstead at 3 technique.

I think if he gets down to 280 then that is ideal but I can't see Belichick asking him to slim down. I do like the 34 possibilities we could have when you look at Chandler, Nink, Collins and Hightower all possibilities to rush but I think it is counter productive to have a guy like Tuitt in an even front.

I loved the idea of Tuitt at the start of the year so maybe his heavier weight and injury caused him to drop in my eyes
For me I think we're just a bit shallow in terms of the front 7. I think Tuitt is the best player to give the team a lot more depth, while only costing 1 player because of his versatility. If we're going to go 4-3 heavy (and we all know BB will, he did while Kelly was still healthy) I'd be much happier with Tuitt than someone who can't move like Deaderick.

Plus, with the linebackers we have now, I see a 4-3 heavy DE being more as a blocker occupier for Mayo, Hightower, or Collins who would be coming on the blitz.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 05-08-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
For me I think we're just a bit shallow in terms of the front 7. I think Tuitt is the best player to give the team a lot more depth, while only costing 1 player because of his versatility. If we're going to go 4-3 heavy (and we all know BB will, he did while Kelly was still healthy) I'd be much happier with Tuitt than someone who can't move like Deaderick.

Plus, with the linebackers we have now, I see a 4-3 heavy DE being more as a blocker occupier for Mayo, Hightower, or Collins who would be coming on the blitz.
Yeah I could see a scenario where we send more guys next year with the back end we have and try to force lots of turnovers. Although i think it would also be a good move to get another quicker LB because in theory with Revis, Browner and McCourty we should be good against the deep pass which leaves the underneath stuff the only option.

If we could get the 2012 Tuitt over the 2013 Tuitt I would be really happy, but as i said his tpe last year really put me off.

i think this year is really hard to get a handle on, I could see any number of scenarios happening. I really wouldn't mind a trade up 6 or 7 spots for some of the guys you mentioned

Old 05-08-2014, 06:27 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice write up guys.

For my admittedly shallow knowledge:
Players I'd be pscyhed to have in the 1st:
Ryan Shazier
M. Lee (truth be told, any WR but I know that's not happening.)
Demarcus Lawrence

Happy with:
IOL or a trade down.

Indifferent:
Nix, Tuitt

Scared:
Hageman, Easly

Unhappy with:
RB or Safety. Bob McGinn has us taking Calvin Pyror.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post

FIRST ROUND:

OT Joel Bitonio, Nevada
LB C.J. Mosley, Alabama
I'm really surprised you like Easley so much. He's pretty much the exact opposite of your typical draft preferences (conservative).