Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Steelers sign Haynes

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/10212439

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Happy but sad here.

Now we have 2 injury prone 3rd down backs.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does this mean the end for Mosley and Russel?

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
Does this mean the end for Mosley and Russel?
As much as I loved Mosley I don't think he's going to get his shot. Russell I think won't get much PT but I think they'll keep him on the roster.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Russell still has a shot. I don't think were gonna go into the season with Davenport, Haynes, and Barlow all on the roster. I think one will get cut and we'll get a guy like Russell in.

At least thats what I want to happen.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i really dont understand this signing when we got barlow to replace him

you dont know how well verrons knee is healed up
there could still be some tear in it and he will not be explosive as he was when he was healthy

i really hope russell or mosley takes his spot
if not on original roster but ps
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
NFLBOY
Rookie

NFLBOY hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like this signing. We'll see how well his knee holds up. As for Barlow, this guy is a cancer and I sure hope Haynes is healthy enough to stay in the mix. He was a good 3rd down back for us. Of course that was in a different system and we have yet to see what kind of system this will be now. He might not even be a kind of player we need.
NFLBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBOY View Post
I like this signing. We'll see how well his knee holds up. As for Barlow, this guy is a cancer and I sure hope Haynes is healthy enough to stay in the mix. He was a good 3rd down back for us. Of course that was in a different system and we have yet to see what kind of system this will be now. He might not even be a kind of player we need.
He was a good 3rd down back, but not upgradeable, which i think we got in Najeh.

As for Barlow, I don't think he was a cancer, I haven't heard that anywhere. Barlow had a great season as a #2. Then people see the season after that... Without looking at the fact they cut 2 Olineman, Jeff Garcia(Who was a pro-bowler in SF), not to mention trading Terell Owens to Philly.

What did SF have left? Tim Rattay, Tai Streets and Cedrick Wilson.. they had no talent, it was hard for the defenses not sell out on Barlow.

I think once he got to NYJ he wasn't given any opportunity.. (He was only the #3 RB and not given much time.)

I think honestly... Barlow should be our short yardage back. Because it's going to come down to Najeh, Verron and Gary Russell. The best 2 out of 3 of that batch is going to make the roster. Najeh has the edge on Verron, because he's faster, bigger and more powerful. I give the edge to Najeh in the blocking category. Only Slightly.

I am afraid to say I think Verron is going to get the Ax.

If we leave Russell on the PS I think it's very likely some team desperate for a Runningback could snatch him off at any given moment, and he's too talented not to want to keep around.

We lost Noah Herron and he doesn't have 1/50th the talent that Russell has. I think Verron is the odd man out.. sure they'd love to carry him but there's no allegiances here.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 AM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't see them keeping a guy who has recently come off a serious injury as opposed to one who played most of the previous season and been through workouts in the spring or a young guy with a lot of potential. I think that the only way Haynes stays is if he really impresses and is a lot better than most of the other guys out there, and I doubt that will be the case.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
NFLBOY
Rookie

NFLBOY hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarocksoi View Post
I can't see them keeping a guy who has recently come off a serious injury as opposed to one who played most of the previous season and been through workouts in the spring or a young guy with a lot of potential. I think that the only way Haynes stays is if he really impresses and is a lot better than most of the other guys out there, and I doubt that will be the case.
Najeh has the same problems. Injury prone. I do like Barlow and believe he could be a very good back if given the chance. It is true that he has shown before what he is capable of. Like I said before, I like the signing, but it depends on our system thet we are going to run. If we use a more no huddle offense and start doing an offense that is more pass friendly, I gotta believe that we will not need Haynes or Davenport.
NFLBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBOY View Post
Najeh has the same problems. Injury prone. I do like Barlow and believe he could be a very good back if given the chance. It is true that he has shown before what he is capable of. Like I said before, I like the signing, but it depends on our system thet we are going to run. If we use a more no huddle offense and start doing an offense that is more pass friendly, I gotta believe that we will not need Haynes or Davenport.
We're probably still going to do a run 60%, pass 40%, but we're going to run some No-Huddle, and it's going to be more of a spread offense, but don't think Kreider won't see field time knocking Ray Lewis on his ass leading Barlow in for a TD.

As I said earlier though.

Parker is a Pro-Bowler and obviously should be our #1.

Najeh is a solid 3rd down back. Great for screens, he's bigger, faster and more powerful than Verron. They're both injury prone and for that reason, who ever's better should stick.. and thats Najeh.

Barlow has the size and power to do the short yardage and clock eating work. Only one on the roster that could currently.

Russell should get a roster spot because if he doesn't, he won't be on the Ps more than 2 weeks before some injury or a team lacking depth grabs him (Again Noah Herron to the packers). Noah Herron doesn't have the potential or talent that russell has. Russell, had he been healthy, would've likely been a 1st rounder and possibly top 15/10. No reason to keep him on the PS for Verron.

Last edited by Mr. Stiller : 06-05-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

PittPete PittPete PittPete

I think this just shows what a class act the Steelers are; giving Haynes a shot even though he may be shot physically. I dont see him beating out either Barlow or Russell whether he's healthy or not though. The guy I'm wondering about is Kreider. The aforementioned pancaking of Ray Lewis is one of my alltime favorite Steeler moments and he clearly is the best blocking fullback we probably ever had. However last year he seemed to take a step down in his blocking; mainly because I don't think he could keep up with fast Willie on the outside runs. If we are going to more spread formations his role as a blocking only back will be minimized. It may make more sense to use Barlow as a fullback; he is a very good blocker and a superb receiver, unlike hands of stone Kreider. that would give us an extra offensive weapon too.
PittPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPete View Post
I think this just shows what a class act the Steelers are; giving Haynes a shot even though he may be shot physically. I dont see him beating out either Barlow or Russell whether he's healthy or not though. The guy I'm wondering about is Kreider. The aforementioned pancaking of Ray Lewis is one of my alltime favorite Steeler moments and he clearly is the best blocking fullback we probably ever had. However last year he seemed to take a step down in his blocking; mainly because I don't think he could keep up with fast Willie on the outside runs. If we are going to more spread formations his role as a blocking only back will be minimized. It may make more sense to use Barlow as a fullback; he is a very good blocker and a superb receiver, unlike hands of stone Kreider. that would give us an extra offensive weapon too.
I don't think Barlow has the Injury history that should warrant a FB. I would look towards a young H-back. Get a guy that can help you in 3 positions, which is while you'll be seeing me throw a fit begging for Owen Schmidt this season.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How fast is Owen Schmidt? I read an article about him a while ago in SI and he had a very blue-collar-hard-nosed attitude that would fit in well here. If he's fast enough, I could see us taking him in the 4th round or so.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarocksoi View Post
How fast is Owen Schmidt? I read an article about him a while ago in SI and he had a very blue-collar-hard-nosed attitude that would fit in well here. If he's fast enough, I could see us taking him in the 4th round or so.
I think the TE switch could either jump his stock or drop his stock depending on how successful stock.

Right now i'm looking at him in round 5.

I see it right now...

1) Tommy Blake, DE/OLB, Texas Christian
2) Tony Hills, LT, Texas
3) Shawn Crable, OLB/ILB, Michigan (takes Kreidwaldts spot.)
4) Drew Radovich, LG, USC
5) Owen Schmidt, Hback, WVU
6) Lance Ball, RB, Maryland
7) Casper Brinkley, DE/OLB, South Carolina (Blakes Backup.)

Edit:

I forgot to answer your question. He's in a speed oriented offense, last spring (06) he had reports of low 4.7's. I think come combine time, he should be in the high 4.5's or low 4.6's which is what we need. He's not the most devastating blocker, but he's "explosive" when I explain that I mean, he'll burst out of the hole, and Pop someone and with him/Willie's speed, that "pop" is all he'll need to do to let Willie Squeeze by. Plus his versatility as a receiving Fullback, receiving RB/Power RB, and #3 TE... I think he's perfect for us.

Last edited by Mr. Stiller : 06-07-2007 at 12:17 AM.