Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
I don't see Spence starting over Sharpton. I'd be EXTREMELY shocked if McCarthy, Cook and Sharpton weren't the starters next year, at least the beginning of the year. If one of them didn't start, I'd think it'd be McCarthy, not Sharpton.
I think our backers will start out as McCarthy, Cook, Sharpton. As the season progresses I think we will work in Brown and he will beat out Sharpton.

Remember how Tavares Gooden was always about average at OLB but injuries forced him to play MLB where he got a huge increase in production? I see the same thing with Sharpton...if he's not playing the middle he's got a tough chance of starting. Also keep in mind that Brown and Adkins are probably our most explosive backers (I exclude Spence because he's not even 205 yet) and could be outstanding blitzers on 3rd downs.

What's important is that even if we are hit worse by injuries on defense than last year we will still have a solid box to work with.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by etk : 03-05-2008 at 07:47 PM.
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
I don't see Spence starting over Sharpton. I'd be EXTREMELY shocked if McCarthy, Cook and Sharpton weren't the starters next year, at least the beginning of the year. If one of them didn't start, I'd think it'd be McCarthy, not Sharpton.
Right now (I know it's early). They have Spence locked in at one spot and they are rotating Cook and Sharpton between the MLB and other OLB spots. Spence has been the most impressive LB in practice and right now has a job locked up.

Brown is running with the 2nd team and seems to be a few steps behind the starters. I think you'll definately see a lineup that includes McCarthy and Spence outside with Sharpton or Cook in the middle and the other being a sort swing LB and spot starter when someone goes down with injuries.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:29 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That could be more so Spence only has to worry about learning one spot at the moment. Last spring every linebacker lined up at every spot. Spence is only playing SLB which is McCarthy's position. Not saying it won't happen, but I don't think Spence and McCarthy both start.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
That could be more so Spence only has to worry about learning one spot at the moment. Last spring every linebacker lined up at every spot. Spence is only playing SLB which is McCarthy's position. Not saying it won't happen, but I don't think Spence and McCarthy both start.
I think your gonna see alot of Spence this season. People keep discounting him behind Brown. Spence is by far the best LB we brought in. People just sleep on him cause of his size. Randy loves him and he has been a 1st teamer all spring so far.

I think alot of people will be surprised when they see Spence starting next season. Sharpton looks like the odd man out to me.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spence has rare football smarts for his age and experience, but he doesn't even measure up to Brown in natural talent. Spence looks like the next Xavier Adibi, Brown looks like the next Patrick Willis. I think we'll see a lot of Spence on specials, but do you really think we're going to start a 202 lb. true frosh SLB? Once McCarthy comes back Spence will become an afterthought.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I think your gonna see alot of Spence this season. People keep discounting him behind Brown. Spence is by far the best LB we brought in. People just sleep on him cause of his size. Randy loves him and he has been a 1st teamer all spring so far.

I think alot of people will be surprised when they see Spence starting next season. Sharpton looks like the odd man out to me.
I'm not saying we won't see a lot of him, I just don't think he'll start. The defense is at it's best when we can rotate in guys and always have fresh guys on the field. I expect Spence and Brown to see the field a lot next year (as well as Romeo and Adkins), I just don't expect either to start over the veterans. Sharpton got nothing but praise last spring from all the coaches but was held back because of injuries last season. When he was healthy he was the best LB we had last year. Spence right now is starting over Brown because he's further ahead mentally than Brown and he's starting over Adkins, well because Adkins isn't very good.

All I gotta say is it's nice to have a problem of having too many skilled guy to get on the field.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Anyone see the spring game and got any comments? Since I'm not in south Florida I won't get to watch the game for a month or so. Saw some stuff on rivals but was wondering if anyone had other comments.

Cooper looked great in the video I saw, Brown led the team in tackles. Sharpton had a few sacks and Forston and Bailey looked good too. WRs struggled.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 03-30-2008, 09:34 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Whatever happened to Redick?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:37 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Whatever happened to Redick?
got injured again, im not sure if he's still on the team

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

yeah I thought he got injured but I thought hed get a redshirt.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:45 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
yeah I thought he got injured but I thought hed get a redshirt.
well this says he's back

http://miami.scout.com/a.z?s=13&p=2&c=732726&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2 f%2fmiami.scout.com%2f2%2f732726.html

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-30-2008, 09:56 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Reddick is going to be one of the starting safeties this year.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

Quote:
is it Reddicks 5th or 6th year?

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Reddick will start at SS, and I think it is his 5th year. The only 6th year we have off the top of my head is Glenn Cook.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-31-2008, 08:35 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barring Injury, Reddick should be in beast mode this year.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

He's still not 100%, but he should be our best defensive back, although DVD is making major strides at CB.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-03-2008, 04:35 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So. How are our QB's doing. I'm not paying to watch spring practice.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

They're all pretty mediocre, but by all accounts Marve is the best.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-05-2008, 02:41 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Huh. Kind of thought Marve would standout a little.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Marve and Harris both had pretty good springs. All the coaches say they didn't think they'd be this good.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Given the circumastances. Medicore is not at all the word I'd use. They haven't looked like world beaters but damn they have been pretty good. They went thru like what a week without throwing an INT in practice. I know it's just practice but that's pretty damn impressive. Both guys have looked good on their feet and have definately gotten the ball out of their hands and into the hands of Coop, JJ and the WRs which is alot more then I could say for Kirby and Wright. Give them some time. Marve and Jacory are gonna turn out to be pretty damn good QBs. Remember Jacory should still be in HS.

Once Marve gets more comfortable with his reads and what the offense is trying to do, as well as getting comfortable with his WRs, I think you'll see the passing game open up more and you'll be more impressed with what we will be able to do. But still they turned in very solid springs, they seemed to grow as the time went on and they looked natural and calm out there instead of jumpy and confused like most freshman usually do. Can't complain at all with what I've seen of the QBs.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:42 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Some spring lifting numbers. Forston came in benching 355 and squatting 315, his squat is now up to 475. He also ran a 4.90 40 coming in. Allen Bailey is in the mid 280s, 550 squat (2nd on team) and 375 clean (1st on team). Javarris James and Joel Figueroa also put up really nice numbers.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Some spring lifting numbers. Forston came in benching 355 and squatting 315, his squat is now up to 475. He also ran a 4.90 40 coming in. Allen Bailey is in the mid 280s, 550 squat (2nd on team) and 375 clean (1st on team). Javarris James and Joel Figueroa also put up really nice numbers.
Allen Bailey also won the freak of nature award or something like that. I forget the actual name of the thing. Swayze gives it out every year.

Man, I've been jumping more and more on the Jake Long to Miami bangwagon lately but I think it has more to do with the fact that I hope we are desperate for 3-4 OLBs in 2 years when Bailey will be there. He is gonna be a monster 3-4 OLB in the NFL. He's on track to be a bigger, badder DeMarcus Ware.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Allen Bailey also won the freak of nature award or something like that. I forget the actual name of the thing. Swayze gives it out every year.

Man, I've been jumping more and more on the Jake Long to Miami bangwagon lately but I think it has more to do with the fact that I hope we are desperate for 3-4 OLBs in 2 years when Bailey will be there. He is gonna be a monster 3-4 OLB in the NFL. He's on track to be a bigger, badder DeMarcus Ware.
I agree, I love Bailey. He might just outgrow that position though. In another year or two he may be considered a 3-4 DE, not OLB.

Regardless though, the guy will be a MONSTER!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:17 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's still not 100%, but he should be our best defensive back, although DVD is making major strides at CB.
DVD will be considered Shutdown by the time he leaves the U, mark it down! First round for sure.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote