Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-29-2008, 09:03 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cooper is a beast, consider me sold...Looks like he can take it to the house every time he touches the ball, and the freshman QB looks pretty good for being raw, the Canes look like their back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Cooper is a beast, consider me sold...Looks like he can take it to the house every time he touches the ball, and the freshman QB looks pretty good for being raw, the Canes look like their back.
Miami Northwestern/Booker T Washington last year would crush that team that we played last night. The game was important for confidence, but we will have our hands full next Saturday in Gainesville to say the least....
Old 08-29-2008, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man I'm pumped for our big game next week against Florida. Although I can't see us winning it, imagine if we somehow got the upset. The U is coming back.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:46 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope we are competitive in this game. The Oklahoma game last year was one of the worst days of the past couple years for me.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As long as Randy Phillips isn't starting at CB we should be fine. :D

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Replace Phillips with Chavez Grant
Replace Malcolm Kelly with Percy Harvin/Louis Murphy (Harvis is playing, right?)

New problem...

Two more words that need not be explained....Kirby Freeman.

Also: Is Darnell Jenkins on Houston? I recorded the Bucs' last pre-season game and he (I think) made a really nice play covering a punt late in the game.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Replace Phillips with Chavez Grant
Replace Malcolm Kelly with Percy Harvin/Louis Murphy (Harvis is playing, right?)

New problem...

Two more words that need not be explained....Kirby Freeman.

Also: Is Darnell Jenkins on Houston? I recorded the Bucs' last pre-season game and he (I think) made a really nice play covering a punt late in the game.
Jenkins just got cut.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Percy Harvin would be out the 1st 3 weeks of the season, don't know if things changed or not. However, until I hear confirmation, I expect him to be on the field.

Stick, Bruce Johnson on Harvin, Brandon Harris on Louis Murphy and keep Grant inside. No way is he fast enough to stick with the Gators.

Alot of this is gonna come down to our QB and our run D. They are gonna get their points in the passing game. No way around it. But if Bailey and Moncur coming back can help stuff Rainey and Moody and force them to stick to option style runs, our LBs are excellent in defending the option. We should be able to be pretty effective in that sense. And it looks like we will have no problem getting the QB this season. Their OL is great tho so we have to have guys like Spencer Adkins, Steve Wesley step up again and Marcus Robinson getting more pass rush wouldn't hurt. If we can do that and hold them in the high 20's or low 30s, we mite have a fighting chance.

I think on paper, our OL can take their DL easily (Minus Dunlap of course) I think our RBs and TEs can take their LBs pretty easily and I think our WRs compared to their CBs are pretty close with their DBs. If Marve steps up and has a good game, takes care of the ball, gets it to our RBs in space and hits some of our WRs with good downfield passing, we could keep it close.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:37 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nix just needs to call a good game, it's that simple. Like you said, we need to get some short passes to the RBs and TEs and also take some shots to Benjamin, Shields and others. I trust most of our players to do the job if they're put in the right situation.

In the meantime, VT looks awful. Absolutely no talent and they're beating ECU on special teams/luck right now, even though ECU looks like a better team. A loss against Florida will sting but won't affect our ACC hopes, I just want to see an exciting, hard-fought close game. Not Oklahoma or Virginia again....

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Louis Murphy : ''I don't refer to them as `The U,' '' Murphy said. 'Because `U' stands for university, and we're the real university.''

I hope we pop that ****** in the mouth on the first play.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Meyer said Harvin could play

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:41 PM    (permalink
zCaddyz
Rookie

zCaddyz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I got 15 bucks for my boys too stomp on some gators, lets show the world what tebow really is.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Louis Murphy : ''I don't refer to them as `The U,' '' Murphy said. 'Because `U' stands for university, and we're the real university.''

I hope we pop that ****** in the mouth on the first play.
If he wanted to rage on us for being a better football team, I would suck it up and take it because he would be right. But saying they are the better university is utter nonsense. We outclass them in just about every category you can think of when it comes to college rankings.

Can't wait to see them try to throw a WR screen to him so Spence will have a clean shot.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
If he wanted to rage on us for being a better football team, I would suck it up and take it because he would be right. But saying they are the better university is utter nonsense. We outclass them in just about every category you can think of when it comes to college rankings.

Can't wait to see them try to throw a WR screen to him so Spence will have a clean shot.
Maybe a hit similar to the one in my sig? :)
Old 09-02-2008, 12:54 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

It's almost getting silly how much I want Reuben Randle on the Canes.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
It's almost getting silly how much I want Reuben Randle on the Canes.
Don't get your hopes up. He's likely going to LSU. I'm thinking Debose is our only WR this year.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:01 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Don't get your hopes up. He's likely going to LSU. I'm thinking Debose is our only WR this year.
Yeah, I know, but still. I'm not wanting him because I think he's coming, I just think he's the best player in the nation. The dude is an absolute hoss.

Not that Debose is Plan B or anything, I think he's the 2nd best WR in the nation behind Randle.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

26-3. We lost.

I can live with it tho. Despite the score, our defense was lights out.

9-3 until the end of the 3rd and then they got another score off the biggest BS call I've ever seen in my life and a meaningless score once the game was out of reach and Florida was trying to run up the score. Can't be mad with the defense.

However, I've long been in the give Patrick Nix a chance camp. But if he doesn't start doing more then runs up the gut when they opponent stacks in the box, along with a handful of passes in the flats and a 5 yard come back or two, then I will quickly change my possision to the Fire Patrick Nix ASAP camp. He needs to get more creative. Our offense doesn't have the experience or playmakers (yet) to run that vanilla offense and get away with it. Nix needs to put together better game plans and mix it up more. We need more crossing routes in the middle of the field, more deep fades to WRs, and more passes to the TEs. I thought all this was dead obvious before the game even started and I figured once JJ went down with an injury that it would become the main game plan to throw more in order to open up the running game.

BTW....what a crock that play the refs overturned on the sideline by Carl Moore. If your checking to make sure that they WR got his elbow in bounds, shouldn't you check to see that he still has the ball? The whole reason Moore was able to get his elbow down was because he had lost control and the ball was on the way out of his hands. I couldn't believe there was even a debate about that. There was nothing 100% conclusive about that reply that shows the the guy had control of the ball and hit in bounds. In fact, looking closely, you can see he bobbles, re adjusts, and then starts to lose the ball just as he's hitting in bounds. There was nothing on that reply to justify overturning such a big call. Maybe we should blame Paul Dee for allowing the Gators to use SEC refs instead of ACC refs like the rest of college football. Away teams always use their refs.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Pretty much my thoughts Joey...

Bill Young called an ABSOLUTELY amazing game. and I thought that outside of a few missed tackles, our D played lights out. There is just only so long you can go without giving up a few big plays.

That call was horrendous. I don't care that I'm a Miami fan. That wasn't a catch, and I'll bet my life that if the refs review that again, they tell everyone that it was a blown call.

SEC refs, what can you say.

But, Nix really blew it. He called ONE good play, the 1st down on the 2 slant.

This team can win the ACC if they come out with the same defensive tenacity every game. Randy Shannon is really turning this thing around, and tonight only confirmed that for me.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:05 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, basically covered it all, Marve is infinitely better than Freeman and better than majority of Wright's games already and Nix needs to realize that. I don't get the point of spreading the field if you're not going to take advantage of the space, I don't remember seeing one crossing pattern all day (or seeing Sam Shields for that matter). WRs need to hold onto the ball. I don't like how much we rotated the OL, I like keeping guys fresh but having a cohesive group is more important. Loved defense besides the few mistakes, great job against Tebow, but the offense has a bit to go. Definitely look like ACC contenders right now though which is more than I expected going into tonight.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

This team will be a dynasty is less than 4 years.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:13 AM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A couple things I noticed.

- Sean Spence looked great out there in his first meaningful game. I don't know why but everytime I look at him I see an Ernie Sims clone. Nice sack on Tebow and he completely leveled James.

- Robert Marve looks alot better with his feet than I expected, once he works on making all of his reads he'll be a player for sure. Very nice arm strength.

- Bruce Johnson (I think that's who it was, # 22) was burnt twice by Louis Murphy, both times not even looking back at the ball. It was pretty pathetic.

- Aldarius Johnson had one nice grab, other than that you didn't see much of him.

- Leonard Hankerson had one great catch over the middle, but way too many drops. He really needs to improve on his consistency as he was actually getting open.

- Where is Arthur Brown??? Did he Redshirt or what??
Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 AM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Sorry for the double post but it's worth mentioning that Matt Bosher is a god. He chucked James onto the ground twice with relative ease.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:41 AM    (permalink
Clayton89
Rookie

Clayton89 is a cocksman.Clayton89 is a cocksman.Clayton89 is a cocksman.

great game by the defense, and admirable job by Marve. Nix needs to stop calling plays like hes scared have more faith in his playmakers. And that overturn might possibly the most obvious blown call ive ever witnessed. I was shocked that they could find anything that could even remotely be considered indisputable evidence. Even people who arent miami fans can see that was a bad call
Old 09-07-2008, 02:52 AM    (permalink
504 to ATL
Veteran

504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL

Miami's defense did wonders tonight, however, their offense was pretty inept at doing anything positive all night. That will improve as the year goes on, it sucks that one of their RB's went out with a serious injury.

I wonder what kind of force Miami will pose to the ACC this year. Tonight's game could have been a fluke or the real deal. Who knows.
504 to ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:24 AM    (permalink
Yatta!
Veteran

Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there a reason why Javaris James is getting so few carries? I was expecting him to split time 50-50 with Cooper but it seems that Derron Thomas is seeing more of the ball as well. Is he injured or just out of form?

Sig by Eaglez.Fan
Yatta! is offline   Reply With Quote