Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 09-28-2008, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn98 View Post
Joey, give me a prediction for next week.
When FSU has the ball:

Our defense bounces back and has a great game against you guys. Since you can't pass the ball to save your life, you will not be able to exploit our biggest weakness which is our CB play. Our pass rush and LBs will be all over your very average OL and will cause turnovers and miscues all game from what might be the worst QB situation in D-I. We will hold you under 10 points. Antonie Smith gets held to less then 50 yards rushing.

When Miami has the ball:

Your defense is top 10 in the nation. You will focus on Cooper limiting him to the same 50 or so yards that Smith will get. You will get pressure on the QB at times but will also have trouble to recover when Marve takes off and starts making plays with his legs. After being heavily critized, Nix will take a couple more chances downfield and we will be able to get a score or two. You will hold us under 14 points and Epps much like last season will be a huge factor in the game. Wouldn't be surprised for you guys to force our young guys into a rookie mistake that leads to an easy score.

Overall:

Looks like we have another wide right looming. Both teams have very good defenses and are working out the kinks on offense. I think the difference in this game is that Miami has a QB and FSU doesnt. That should allow Miami to do just enough to pull out the win in a hard fought, low scoring ball game. I'll say final score is 17-14 Miami.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What in the F is wrong with the Miami fans?

Ok one, they were stupid to leave the Orange Bowl because even if it was a dumb it was a COLLEGE stadium.

The Minnesota Gophers made that same mistake, destroyed a stadium on campus that was pretty sweet, moved into the metrodome and all know how that turned out. Sure we got a new stadium now but man those years in the dome were rough...

Now Miami does the same thing, moves into the Dolphins stadium, wonderful IF they did not have that damn baseball field on the field. I HATE that watching a football game.

Not to mention the horrible crowd. Ok people did not always go to Miami games in the Orange bowl, now they really won't go!

PS I must say Joey it is looking like Cooper is quite a special back, I never said he wasn't talented but last year and this year he is like a different player. A lot bigger this year it seems and it shows in how hard he turns.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:04 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There was 35k there which is about the norm for an average game for UM. UM doesn't have the student population like most schools to have a packed stadium all the time, as far as I know they're busing kids from school to the stadium and from my experience it's much easier to go to Dolphins stadium than the Orange Bowl. The Orange Bowl was a great place for historical purposes but it was a piece of crap and needed a lot of renovations that weren't going to happen. Next week it will be a packed house and then the week after it will probably be back to normal (though a bit more since UCF people will come down, including me yay). Looks a lot worse now than before though because of the stadium set up.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:16 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

I love it at Dolphin stadium.

Ozzy have you been to a game there yet? It's great.

I will miss the OB but man we just traded in a ricer for a Bentley.

The games so far have had the same turnout you would expect for Canes games. We are getting the same 35K that we were getting at the OB.

But damn, it's nice to be able to see replays on the HD screens, it's great to have concessions all day instead of running out at halftime. Heck it great just to have a damn seatback so I don't have back pains at halftime.

The look and feel at Dolphin stadium is great. They completely change the layout around so literally everything is orange and green. It comes out really nice and it's sweet to heard the roar of the speakers and music during the game instead of having those stupid OB speakers that sounded like it was coming from a car in the parking lot.

Come next week for FSU, that place will be rocking and nobody will have a single complaint about not being the OB when they get to see the huge hits replayed in HD.

BTW...What did you expect out of Coop? I pretty much figured this was how he would look. He was a true freshman last season. He bulked up this year so he could take the pounding. His running style hasn't changed, he's just bigger so now when he hits people he can keep going instead of getting dragged down.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:57 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do the Canes plan to build a stadium on campus? Yes I have been to a game in the Orange Bowl, it was Florida vs. Maryland in the Orange Bowl, Spurrier's last game on Florida and the start of the downfall of them being a cool team once.

Yes the Orange Bowl is nice but it is not a college stadium, and the worst part easy is that mother Fing baseball field, it looks so horrible. I hate when the Dolphins have to play on it and I hate when the Canes have to play on it. From a fans perspective in the stadium it is probably way better. From a fans perspective watching the game, the Orange Bowl is **** because one cannot see the big screen, they are not sitting down and they are not buying food.

It will help with in game recruiting but their on TV look has really went down. The Orange Bowl was a classic great college stadium, and now they destroyed all of that history. Why not renovate the piece if it was that bad?

Again fans perspective great change, on TV perspective horrible change.

Quote:
BTW...What did you expect out of Coop? I pretty much figured this was how he would look. He was a true freshman last season. He bulked up this year so he could take the pounding. His running style hasn't changed, he's just bigger so now when he hits people he can keep going instead of getting dragged down.
Because Cooper went down like a bag of dirt last year and it was partly because he was so small. Showed potentially but never really proved it on the field. So maybe, just maybe they have a star RB on that team for the first time in a few years.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:59 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well baseball season is done so that's going to be gone (not sure if it's going to be this week or next week though). The cost to renovate the OB was too big and they tried for a while but couldn't get it done. And even then with the renovation it wouldn't have been anywhere near what Dolphins stadium is. The OB had history, Dolphins stadium has everything else. The OB was turning into a negative for recruiting while Dolphins stadium is a huge plus.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 09-29-2008, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Having a baseball diamond in the middle of the field for 2 games is not at all a big deal. I seriously doubt that the Cane brass looked at all the upgrades, in terms of montary gains, recruiting gains, as well as fan comfort and said, nah, let's pass, there's a baseball diamond on it during the Charleston Southern and UNC games.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't wait till next year, fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 PM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This sure as hell doesn't feel like Miami-Florida State week. I guess we've truly fallen that far.
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Geomar
Rookie

Geomar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Geomar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

"We played a bad game and still had control of that game throughout against a halfway decent football team. That says something about the talent level of our kids that our OC was clearly putting us in a hole all game long and yet we still had that game not only in our grasp but in our clear control until the final drive. Once our kids grow up and we get rid of some of the older players (Grant, Farq, Jones, Johnson, etc.) that are just not playing up to par, we will take another step. This is still a work in progress. We have more talent but we are still lacking at some spots (CB was the obvious one today) and we still need to mature, play more consistent and get a new OC.
"
Totally agree with this. but farquharson is actually playing up to par. I still wish we would have redshirted him last year. All he needed was one year of coaching and he would be ready. Aldarius is just rediculous as well for a freshman.

Also I cant wait till Bryce Brown gets here.

(JJ, Coop, Bryce)

Amazing three headed monster run game.

And Coop is tearing it up this year. =)

Graig Cooper makes opposing defenses look silly.
Geomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn98 View Post
This sure as hell doesn't feel like Miami-Florida State week. I guess we've truly fallen that far.
I dunno what you are talking about.

We've been hyped for this game for a month and we've had the tailgate planned since Monday. We are gonna be there at 11 30 in the morning.

It sure feels like FSU-Miami to me. And alot of Miami fans down here are talking about it because this is a huge test to see how we bounce back from our worse game of the season.

Maybe it's just because you aren't in Miami to feel the atmosphere here but alot of people are hyped for this game.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:46 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I dunno what you are talking about.

We've been hyped for this game for a month and we've had the tailgate planned since Monday. We are gonna be there at 11 30 in the morning.

It sure feels like FSU-Miami to me. And alot of Miami fans down here are talking about it because this is a huge test to see how we bounce back from our worse game of the season.

Maybe it's just because you aren't in Miami to feel the atmosphere here but alot of people are hyped for this game.
It has lost a little bit of the luster it has had in previous years when we were both powerhouses, but eiter way I'm still PUMPED!!

Because I hate FSU so much, that if we lost the remainder of our games, but beat FSU, the season would still be largely a success for me! Although I really hope that doesn't happen (losing the rest of out games, of course!)

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell

Last edited by thebow305 : 10-02-2008 at 03:48 PM.
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
It has lost a little bit of the luster it has had in previous years when we were both powerhouses, but eiter way I'm still PUMPED!!

Because I hate FSU so much, that if we lost the remainder of our games, but beat FSU, the season would still be largely a success for me! Although I really hope that doesn't happen (losing the rest of out games, of course!)
Oh course it lost some lusted nationally. The rest of the nation doesn't wanna watch 2 down programs.

The Red Sox/Yankees rivalry was non exsistant to anyone outside of NY or Boston this year because TB ran away with the division.

It's the same situation here. But the FSU and Miami fans are still pumped and will be out in full force.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:09 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Game Day Baby! I'm Pumped!! Go Canes!!!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

We played a heck of a game. Here are some quick points:

-Nix was vastly improved from what I have seen of him in the year and a half he's been here. He wasnt afraid to take chances. He threw the ball downfield alot, and he was very inventive with the screen to LT Jason Fox and a TD pass by RB Greg Cooper. He still needs to learn to use the middle of the field more.

- Plain and simple reason why we lost this game. Our defense simply in no way shape or form has been able to stop a team on 3rd down. If we get off the field on 3rd down, this game is won.

-Love seeing the team bounce back in the 2nd half and a great job by the coaching staff and players all the way around.

-This team is gonna explode before the year is over. We are simply too talented and have progress every game regardless of result and the coaching staff has even impressed me with how they have adjusted and improved from game to game.

-Bottom line: As long as our upperclassmen suck, we will be medicore. In 2 years, we will be where we need to be. Our freshman are great but they aren't to the point where they can make up for Upperclassmen like Khalil Jones Farq, Sam Shield dropping passes. Xavier Shannon, Chris Rutledge and Tyrone Bryd missing blocks, Bruce Johnson, Chavez Grant and Lovon Ponder blowing coverages, and Joe Joseph and Dwayne Hendricks getting shoved around.

That list of SRs and JRs above are all by and large playing below par and we cannot win games like that. Our freshman and sophomores are the only reason we are even competitive in these games.

Guys, our future looks bright.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:12 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

OL picking it up in the 2nd half definitely helped, everyone got destroyed in the first half, I think that was the worst I've seen Jason Fox play. Everette Brown is a monster though.

The team as a whole played their worst game but we did a good job fighting back (with the help of FSU). Brandon Harris got destroyed, I thought Chavez looked ok today, Bruce is like Will Allen, good on most snaps then just has completely awful plays.

Defense looked so slow today, Spence was a monster but Sharpton and Cook couldn't stay with anyone, Reddick let a few plays get away from him and Ponder looked lost. Pass rush was still an issue for the most part, Bailey looked pretty good but Ojomo and Wesley need to get better. I thought the DTs played well, Hendricks and Joseph aren't that bad, certainly weren't our biggest problem on offense, I think the DE play was much worse today.

Travis Benjamin is a monster, no WR should see the field besides him AJ and Collier, maybe Hankerson and Byrd on screen passes to block. AJ needs to to get the ball more (has to do with the middle of the field passes somewhat), it seems all he gets are comebacks. He finally broke the tackle and got a big gain today but the only time he gets it deep he is double teamed.

Took a step back today as a whole but the young guys showed some big flashes. We need to flat out dominate the next 2 weeks before we get the 5 ACC games, I have a feeling James being back is going to completely change the offense, hopefully he is 100%.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
OL picking it up in the 2nd half definitely helped, everyone got destroyed in the first half, I think that was the worst I've seen Jason Fox play. Everette Brown is a monster though.

The team as a whole played their worst game but we did a good job fighting back (with the help of FSU). Brandon Harris got destroyed, I thought Chavez looked ok today, Bruce is like Will Allen, good on most snaps then just has completely awful plays.

Defense looked so slow today, Spence was a monster but Sharpton and Cook couldn't stay with anyone, Reddick let a few plays get away from him and Ponder looked lost. Pass rush was still an issue for the most part, Bailey looked pretty good but Ojomo and Wesley need to get better. I thought the DTs played well, Hendricks and Joseph aren't that bad, certainly weren't our biggest problem on offense, I think the DE play was much worse today.

Travis Benjamin is a monster, no WR should see the field besides him AJ and Collier, maybe Hankerson and Byrd on screen passes to block. AJ needs to to get the ball more (has to do with the middle of the field passes somewhat), it seems all he gets are comebacks. He finally broke the tackle and got a big gain today but the only time he gets it deep he is double teamed.

Took a step back today as a whole but the young guys showed some big flashes. We need to flat out dominate the next 2 weeks before we get the 5 ACC games, I have a feeling James being back is going to completely change the offense, hopefully he is 100%.
Have to disagree with us playing our worse game today. UNC was much worse. We didn't excel in any phase of the UNC game and gave up. Today we were much more inventive, played with more passion, and even flat took over during parts of the 2nd half. There's much more to build off of today then there was against UNC.

We played pretty bad on D in the 1st half. I can't imagine our D looking much worse then that.

But the way we played in the 2nd half was flat out amazing (minus that 20 yard TD run we gave up). We won the 2nd half 36-17. We flat whooped them in the 2nd half. We created turnovers, we got inventive on offense and we made big plays in all aspects whether it was ST, D or O. If you would have watched the game starting from halftime on, I don't think there's any doubt that was the best we played this year against one of the top 10 defenses in college football.

The problem was definitely the defense coming out lifeless in the 1st half.

Go back and read your post tho. I think it speaks for itself.

The only freshman you said with a bad game was Brandon Harris.

The rest of the list includes upperclassmen guys like Cook, Sharpton, all the WRs (that aren't named AJ, Pimp or Benjamin), Reddick, Bruce Johnson.

There's just no way to win games when you've got absolutely ZERO talent in your JR and SR classes. Literally, we don't have a single difference making SR (in fact the only ones that can even be considered Solid players are Cook, Reddick, Moncur and at times Johnson) and we don't have a difference making JR either with the only Solid JRs being Fox, McCarthy, JJ and at times Sharpton and Grant.

The backbone of this team is made up of Freshman and Sophomores. Coop, Benjamin, AJ, Marve, Franklin, Ojomo, Bailey, Forston (who played his ass off today), Spence, Harris are all some form of Freshman or Sophomore. Those kids are studs but they can't do it on their own yet. In a year or two they will but not. Not without help and plays from the SRs and JRs and we just aren't getting it.

BTW...Can we get a count on the number of drops between Shields and Jones today? I felt like the number was u around 7. They need to be benched already.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:31 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Have to disagree with us playing our worse game today. UNC was much worse. We didn't excel in any phase of the UNC game and gave up. Today we were much more inventive, played with more passion, and even flat took over during parts of the 2nd half. There's much more to build off of today then there was against UNC.

We played pretty bad on D in the 1st half. I can't imagine our D looking much worse then that.

But the way we played in the 2nd half was flat out amazing (minus that 20 yard TD run we gave up). We won the 2nd half 36-17. We flat whooped them in the 2nd half. We created turnovers, we got inventive on offense and we made big plays in all aspects whether it was ST, D or O. If you would have watched the game starting from halftime on, I don't think there's any doubt that was the best we played this year against one of the top 10 defenses in college football.

The problem was definitely the defense coming out lifeless in the 1st half.

Go back and read your post tho. I think it speaks for itself.

The only freshman you said with a bad game was Brandon Harris.

The rest of the list includes upperclassmen guys like Cook, Sharpton, all the WRs (that aren't named AJ, Pimp or Benjamin), Reddick, Bruce Johnson.

There's just no way to win games when you've got absolutely ZERO talent in your JR and SR classes. Literally, we don't have a single difference making SR (in fact the only ones that can even be considered Solid players are Cook, Reddick, Moncur and at times Johnson) and we don't have a difference making JR either with the only Solid JRs being Fox, McCarthy, JJ and at times Sharpton and Grant.

The backbone of this team is made up of Freshman and Sophomores. Coop, Benjamin, AJ, Marve, Franklin, Ojomo, Bailey, Forston (who played his ass off today), Spence, Harris are all some form of Freshman or Sophomore. Those kids are studs but they can't do it on their own yet. In a year or two they will but not. Not without help and plays from the SRs and JRs and we just aren't getting it.

BTW...Can we get a count on the number of drops between Shields and Jones today? I felt like the number was u around 7. They need to be benched already.
Jones has made a career out of dropping passes, and he still gets PT, so what makes you think that will change any time soon?

God I hate that guy.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

I still think the result of the 2nd half was FSU giving the game away more so than us playing that much better. Without a doubt we played better but the offense still stuggled. It was those seniors and juniors but right now those guys are still the team and they were playing much better before today. Against NC the offense played well at times and other than a few big plays the defense had a good game. The big/trick plays were nice today but other than the last drive the offense showed no consistency. The defense couldn't get off the field and Ponder ran all over us. For this season there wasn't a whole lot that I felt good about in this game.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-05-2008, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
I still think the result of the 2nd half was FSU giving the game away more so than us playing that much better. Without a doubt we played better but the offense still stuggled. It was those seniors and juniors but right now those guys are still the team and they were playing much better before today. Against NC the offense played well at times and other than a few big plays the defense had a good game. The big/trick plays were nice today but other than the last drive the offense showed no consistency. The defense couldn't get off the field and Ponder ran all over us. For this season there wasn't a whole lot that I felt good about in this game.
I'm not too worried about this season. I was hoping for 8 wins this season and we still have a shot at that thought 7 is looking more likely. We should pound on UCF next week and Duke should be a good game though I can't really see us losing it.

What I saw from this game was a future. I saw Sean Spence make 10 tackles and return an INT for a TD. I saw Benjamin score 2 huge TDs and make huge returns all nite. I saw Marcus Forston busting his ass to stuff the middle and even stunting outside to get to the RB. I saw Aldarius get 5 solid catches, break a huge tackle to big yards and come a show string away from breaking another one. Heck even JoJo Nicolas who has been sub par all year have a pretty solid game. Bailey had an OK day as well.

Even Marve who had without a doubt his worst game of the season showed growth and impressed me with his ability to shake off mistakes, keep his composure and help rally his team back. He was hurt by alot of huge drops and alot of batted balls because our OL couldn't keep the FSU DL out of the backfield. He was able to weather all that and still make a few impressive plays and bring us within striking distance.

This year's team isn't a good team. Far from it. But I see alot of good things for our future and that's what has me so optimistic. Remember, this year is the 1st real year where Randy has his own recruiting class. His 2007 class was an on the run patchwork class that he put together, half that class was made up of Coker kids that randy really could let go of because he needed to fill voids somewhere and there was no time for him to go from scratch with new recruits. He got a few good players (Marve, Coop, Franklin, Bailey) but there are a fair amount of what appear to be duds from that class as well (Hankerson, McKenzie, Campbell, Horn, Gunn, heck even Perry and Wiggins are no longer with the team). Give Randy time. What I am seeing out there is coaches having to over think things in order to make up for a lack of talent and huge mistakes by the upperclassmen. Let Randy get more recruiting classes under his belt and coach them up the right way. I am very encouraged for the future of our team. By the time that huge 2010 class rolls around, we will be in much better shape then we are today.

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 10-05-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:51 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

I definitely love the future of this team, I guess I was just expecting more out of the team now after what we showed before yesterday.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What has happened to Sam Shields? Did he even play on Saturday? I remember him as a freshman and he was a monster, he seems to have been lost with all the new talent at WR. Did he just not get better?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
What has happened to Sam Shields? Did he even play on Saturday? I remember him as a freshman and he was a monster, he seems to have been lost with all the new talent at WR. Did he just not get better?
I saw him drop a couple passes.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomar View Post

Also I cant wait till Bryce Brown gets here.

(JJ, Coop, Bryce)

Amazing three headed monster run game.

And Coop is tearing it up this year. =)
Don't sleep on Mike James. He looks like the next Kevin Smith but bigger and faster...we're gonna have 2 great power backs that can also break some big runs, plus 5 more returning assuming none declare or transfer. We will no longer have to rely on Derron freaking Thomas to spell the starter....you can rest assured.

Quote:
We played a heck of a game. Here are some quick points:

-Nix was vastly improved from what I have seen of him in the year and a half he's been here. He wasnt afraid to take chances. He threw the ball downfield alot, and he was very inventive with the screen to LT Jason Fox and a TD pass by RB Greg Cooper. He still needs to learn to use the middle of the field more.

- Plain and simple reason why we lost this game. Our defense simply in no way shape or form has been able to stop a team on 3rd down. If we get off the field on 3rd down, this game is won.
I missed the middle part of the game after we were down 14-0 until we put up 20 to make it close again so take that into consideration with whatever I say. I couldn't deal with the embarrassment of a Christian Ponder led FSU team handling us at home.

I like the fact that Nix recognized the run game wasn't going to work and went to the pass....but I think he went too far. FSU stuck with the ground game and Smith even though they averaged like 3 yards per carry....running the ball eats up clock and keeps your defense off the field. It also helps the mentality of your offensive line and keeps the defense honest, even if it's unsuccessful. My point is that we should've pounded the rock more even if it meant getting 2 yards in chunks.

I don't like how Nix sets up all these pass plays where the primary target is on the sideline because Marve has not been throwing well to the sideline. He makes his best throws and decisions right down the middle of the defense...and that's right where they had a freshman LB and inconsistent safety play....ATTACK THEM! I just realized you said this at the end of your 1st paragraph too, lol.

I don't like how we still throw most of our passes to Jones, Farquharson, Hankerson, Shields, etc. AJ and Benjamin are clearly our 2 best receivers and should be getting several touches a game. AJ can tough it out and Benjamin can make people miss. Our upperclassman receivers catch the ball and stop, or just drop the ball to begin with.

Seeing Ponder run for like 150 yards on us got me thinking....why doesn't Marve scramble more? Nix needs to loosen up the leash there as well.

We still don't throw to the tight ends and running backs enough. I mean you need to mix it up SOMETIMES.

On defense....well....as bad as we played, Young could've given us a chance to win if he didn't blitz 3 guys from the outside on a 3rd and 20 where all we need to do is keep FSU from the end zone. It's FSU so there's no way they make the FG, and Marve proved against UNC that he can take us on a game-winning 2 minute drill. That situation just screamed Cover 4 but Young tried to be a superhero with his playcalling.

As great as Sean Spence played, I was (somewhat) reminded why we don't play our freshmen as much when he got himself sucked into the wash instead of flowing from the backside on that option play where Ponder went for like 500 yards. Those "ball instincts" can backfire sometimes.

^ Even still, our defensive line was nowhere to be seen any time they had a drive going.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I like the fact that Nix recognized the run game wasn't going to work and went to the pass....but I think he went too far. FSU stuck with the ground game and Smith even though they averaged like 3 yards per carry....running the ball eats up clock and keeps your defense off the field. It also helps the mentality of your offensive line and keeps the defense honest, even if it's unsuccessful. My point is that we should've pounded the rock more even if it meant getting 2 yards in chunks.

No way he could have pounded the rock more. We were down big very early in this game. He had no choice but to come out gunning for the majority of the game because we were playing from behind. It's not Nix's fault for the lobsidded offense, it's our defenses fault for putting us in a huge hole. Considering the situation he was placed in, I thought Nix was very effective today.

Seeing Ponder run for like 150 yards on us got me thinking....why doesn't Marve scramble more? Nix needs to loosen up the leash there as well.

Have you been watching us at all? Part of the problem for most of the year is that there are way too many designed QB runs. Everyone on here last week was moaning right and left about those stupid QB draws. We don't need Marve to scramble more. He's runs enough. All we need him to move is just to keep plays alive and get positive gains. I've been really impressed with that btw. Marve has a knack for turning broken plays and bad situations in positive yards or at the very least a no gain.

On defense....well....as bad as we played, Young could've given us a chance to win if he didn't blitz 3 guys from the outside on a 3rd and 20 where all we need to do is keep FSU from the end zone. It's FSU so there's no way they make the FG, and Marve proved against UNC that he can take us on a game-winning 2 minute drill. That situation just screamed Cover 4 but Young tried to be a superhero with his playcalling.

I can't fault Young play calling there. They had a 3rd a 20. Jimbo Fisher made a great playcall in that situation and still Reddick had a clean shot at Smith on the 10 as well as 2 other guys having shots at Smith inside the 5. If just one of those guys does his job and makes a tackle, we aren't even discussing that. Everyone thought it was going to be a pass. Nobody in that stadium guess a run. Young was aggressive and sent guys to get in Ponders face and try to get us that ball back. I will never be upset with aggressive play calling. Fact is, that even with a great draw that Jimbo Fisher called, we still should have tackled him short and we had chances to do it.

As great as Sean Spence played, I was (somewhat) reminded why we don't play our freshmen as much when he got himself sucked into the wash instead of flowing from the backside on that option play where Ponder went for like 500 yards. Those "ball instincts" can backfire sometimes.

This is what I've been saying all year. Our JRs and SRs suck. Our FR just aren't good enough yet to make up for it. Spence made a rookie mistake. That's gonna happen, that's why you need your JRs and SRs to step u so that those rookie mistakes aren't as glaring. We simply don't have any JRs or SRs that step up.
Give us time. We simply do not have the talent base in the right areas of the team yet. We have plenty of talent in the pipeline but we need allow it to mature and learn to win and that will not happen with the roster as currently constructed. We simply don't have the upperclassmen to be a consistent winning program yet.

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 10-05-2008 at 11:44 PM.