Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's a simple answer for your first 2 comments....I only saw part of the game. I didn't see Marve run the ball at all and I saw plenty of opportunity to run as a team. The 1st instance being on our 1st drive: 1st and 10 Nix made a nice call to throw but there was some miscue I forget ATM. Second down we throw again and it's incomplete (SHOULD'VE RUN Coop to set up 3rd and medium), 3rd and 10 Marve throws a pick.

I was expecting a run (specifically a draw - I watch the Bucs and Gruden always goes draw on 3rd and long) and I don't fault our DBs for missing. Smith had 10 yards of steam right up the gut and all our DBs were outside the hashes coming downhill and Smith broke the armtackles. It was a nice call to set up an easier FG, but the bad defensive call resulted in the TD. It was like the parting of the seas in the middle because of the blitz.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:47 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys, but just read about some very tragic injury news. Damn this sucks!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3627084

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yup....McCarthy is out, Moncur's out, Youngblood's out

hopefully we can slap some redshirts on...

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-07-2008, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
yup....McCarthy is out, Moncur's out, Youngblood's out

hopefully we can slap some redshirts on...
Slap them on Cracker and Moncur but let Youngbloods ass go. I'd rather play Ben Jones.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:16 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Slap them on Cracker and Moncur but let Youngbloods ass go. I'd rather play Ben Jones.
Youngblood is the epitome of a Coker recruit. He and Sam Shields (who cares more about "The U football player" title than actually performing on the field. He almost cost us the FSU game all by himself.

Promised PT to come here, didn't work hard at all, no heart, horrible player.

Did anyone see Gavin Hardin during the FSU game? That dude is a gamer. Can't wait until he plays. He will give his everything.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Players who need to sack up.. not including Shields, Grant, because they are garbage already.

Allen Bailey - all hype so far. Shows really good burst but seems to lack pass rushing moves. Bill Young should get his hand off the ground a couple times a game and let him do his thing. Ojomo should not be our best DE so far.

Demarcus Van Dyke - This guy has been horrendous this year. He is working real hard according to sources though. A LOT of extra time. That's all you can ask for... he has the talent.

Anthony Reddick - Hit Stick looked good vs A&M but has done nothing since then. Gave up a monster play(s) to Antone Smith and looks a little lost at times. Get your head in the game. I love your swagger, you gotta put it together now guy.

Travis Benjamin - Get him off the team, wasted scholly...... ;) just kidding. CONTINUE TO FEED THE MACHINE NIX!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:41 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

I think Allen Bailey has been fine. Maybe your expectations were too high because of the hype but take a step back and look at the situation. It's his 1st year at DE, he was hurt all offseason which cost him tons of valuable practice time at the position, and he hasnt even been starting because hes somewhat raw and still needs to finish growing into the position. Not to mention, I saw him being used at DT a handful of time last game in order to get faster guys on the edge and him in the middle to try to get some pass rush.

I think all things considered, he has been solid. He will continue to grow as a player and he will be a player for us in the future. Youll start seeing it at the end of the year. Frankly there's been so much going against him to start the year (injury, position change, lack of pass rush allowing OL to key on him) that I'm pretty encouraged just by what he is doing out there even if he has the talent to do alot more.

I think DVD is going to be a wasted scholly in this new system. I hope Im wrong beacuse I love DVD but what I see wrong with him is not something you can fix. Young's defense puts alot of strain on the CBs. He sends alot of blitzes to get pressure in effect to shorten the time CBs will have to cover WRs. The CBs are also asked to be good tacklers when the O decides to go to screens or passes in the flat to counter the blitzes. This means you have to have big physical CBs that will be able to tackle in the open field, as well and handle WRs and not allow them off the LOS cleanly so the pass rush can get there before the WR is where he needs to be. DVD just isn't physical enough for that. He is a solid cover guy with his speed but never mixes it up with a WR at the LOS and he can't tackle in the open field. Granted the situation will get better when we get more pass rush but DVD just isn't a great fit for the system. Notice how we are going after bigger, stronger CBs like Prince Kent (6'3" 195), Jamal Reid (6'1" 180) and Brandon McGee (5'11" 190).
Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Geomar
Rookie

Geomar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Geomar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

DVD hasn't been so bad. he's still adjusting to this new defense. I say give him a start against UCF. He's been improving every week in this new defense.

Bailey hasnt had the majority of plays to him yet because he's still not 100%.

Reddick had a rough game against FSU, he needs to rebound.

Khalil Jones needs to go get some cushions for his ass on the bench. I just cringe when he's in the game. Even though it's for like 2-5 plays. =)

Graig Cooper makes opposing defenses look silly.
Geomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

I just got back from College Night at the Grove. I was at Mr. Moes tonite.

Saw Marcus Forston and Sean Spence in line waiting to get in.

Colin McCarthy was coming out of the parking alot across the street from Johny Rockets and was walking towards the Moes area as well about 15 mintues after I saw Marcus Forston and Sean Spence.

Colin McCarthy (friends at work nicknamed him Cracker)is one serious MF. He has a serial killer meets frat boy look to him. Hes got a jacked up neck and shoulders. Dude is big for a LB.

Marcus Forston looks like he's damn near 30 years old. And he is built like a brick wall. Small head, big shoulders and wide ass hips. Dude serious looks like he's as wide as the hood of a car. Man he is gonna be a beast for us.

Surprisingly, Sean Spence was tiny. I'm about 5'10, 170 pounds. He looked no bigger then me. He probably has a little more weight to him as you could tell his legs and chest are thicker then mine but I didn't see the 6'0, 205 pounds that he is listed as. Wonder if his small size will effect him at all over time but now that he's a full time starter, I fully expect him to get freshman AA honors and be named the best freshman defender in the country. He's been that good.

Who as excited as I am to see what Arthur Brown is gonna do with his 1st non-ST downs against UCF this week? I expect him to get about 10-15 plays in certain packages of the defense and hopefully he shows enough to expand on that as the year goes on. We can't have Sean Spence playing 86 snaps like last week, he's too young and hasn't had enough time with the training and everything to handle that load all season. We really need Brown to step up.

It's surprising how thin we are at LB. All we have left is Glenn Cook, Daryl Sharpton, Sean Spence, Arthur Brown, Romeo Davis and Jordan Futch. The latter 3 haven't seen a down on defense all season.

I think we need to bring in another LB in the 2009 class. We did get a bunch last year but Marcus Robinson, Gavin Hardin moved to DE and Ramon Buchanan has looked pretty good in his limited time at FS.

That leaves us with Cracker, Spence, Sharpton, Futch, Brown and Marti (whos not ready to play) as next year's LBs. Should be ok next season but the 2010 season will be a problem.

That year we will have Spence, Brown, Futch, Marti and whatever true freshman we bring in as part of the 2010 class. We need to made sure we bring in at least 1 more freshman in 2009 that can compete for PT and bring some depth to the 2010 team, especially if that's the year we are targetting to really take a huge step.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:19 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Davis was in the rotation but was hurt last week, Spencer Adkins was also getting in during certain situations. We started with Cook/Davis, McCarthy/Spence, and Sharpton/Adkins and 2 of those guys were out last week and Adkins really only plays in passing situations. Definitely excited to see Brown, hopefully he is ready and not being forced into playing because of injuries.

Injuries have been killing us this year. We're constantly rotating guys to keep players fresh and at this point QB, TE and FB are the only positions that haven't had injury issues which is basically the same thing that happened last year.

Is Harper definitely playing DE or is there any chance he stays at LB? Robinson needs to gain A LOT of weight next year because he really doesn't look good right now at DE and the way we use Sharpton and such to blitz it wouldn't be awful to move him back to LB. Hopefully Kane can get his issues resolved. I was really hoping we would get Bostic but it seems unlikely, maybe Burfict decommits from USC :p .

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Davis was in the rotation but was hurt last week, Spencer Adkins was also getting in during certain situations. We started with Cook/Davis, McCarthy/Spence, and Sharpton/Adkins and 2 of those guys were out last week and Adkins really only plays in passing situations. Definitely excited to see Brown, hopefully he is ready and not being forced into playing because of injuries.

Injuries have been killing us this year. We're constantly rotating guys to keep players fresh and at this point QB, TE and FB are the only positions that haven't had injury issues which is basically the same thing that happened last year.

Is Harper definitely playing DE or is there any chance he stays at LB? Robinson needs to gain A LOT of weight next year because he really doesn't look good right now at DE and the way we use Sharpton and such to blitz it wouldn't be awful to move him back to LB. Hopefully Kane can get his issues resolved. I was really hoping we would get Bostic but it seems unlikely, maybe Burfict decommits from USC :p .
I think Harper is pretty much penciled in as a DE. He's 6'4 and 230. Very rare that you will ever see a LB that big at Miami. Colin McCarthy is our biggest at 6'3 235, Harper is already bigger then that and he's just a young pup coming in at 19 where McCarthy is already a 22 year old JR that has maxed out his frame from a college standpoint. Harper is huge for a Miami LB. I think we could see Ray Ray Armstrong as a LB but I'm actually kinda thinking he could be the TE we bring in this year.

Robinson I guess could get a look to move back to LB with Harper comes in and looks good and if Andrew Smith and Gavin Hardin take to the position well. Having Bailey and Ojomo as the starters with Hardin, Smith, Harper and Vernon as the backups certainly isn't a bad group of guys at DE but Robinson is likely the best pass rusher of the group. I tend to want to keep him there and let him bulk up. I think LB for him is a last resort.

Davis did play last week. He was the idiot that caught the kickoff that was about to go of out of bounds. He just sucks. But anyways, Adkins and Davis don't help our LB situation going forward as they are both SRs. We need to bring in a guy this season (although I think you agree with me there). One guy that has been very quiet but for some reason, I keep thinking we have a shot at in the back of my mind is Jarvis Jones. I think he's one of the best LBs in this class.

Either way we need one to make sure our number are right.

We can't go into 2010 counting on 3 JRs in Brown, Spence and Futch and a RS SO in Marti and then have all our depth come from true freshman in the 2010 class. We need to make sure we bring in another guy this year to provide depth to the 2010 team so that we aren't forcing guys into immediate action the way we are doing with some freshman this season.

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 10-10-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Geomar
Rookie

Geomar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Geomar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Joey I think we'll be fine just bringing in Ray Ray Armstrong at LB.
I think he will play LB here. Possibility of TE or S, but I think he's better suited for LB.

We'll have depth next year, but next year '09 we have to bring in at the least 2-3 LB's in the recruiting class to create more depth which I think we will.

Next season we will have ( I added predictions as well. Class years are what they are next season)

S.Spence (Freshman ALL-American. sophomore)
A.Brown ( Starter at the end of this season, sophomore)
C.McCarthy (Medical Redshirt Junior)
J.Futch (redshirt freshman or sophomore)
D.Sharpton (Loses his job to Brown last season, redhsirt senior)
RR.Armstrong (Could work into the rotation as a freshman)
K.Robinson (IDK if hes even on the team anymore, rarely plays. Could provide depth, redshirt sophomore or junior)

R. Buchannon (Has played a little bit on ST's and safety, maybe staff moves him to LB. Redshirt freshman)
B. Marti (redshirt freshman.)

I think we'll be fine in 09 but we must bring in two or three more LB's in that year in the recruiting class.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomar View Post
Joey I think we'll be fine just bringing in Ray Ray Armstrong at LB.
I think he will play LB here. Possibility of TE or S, but I think he's better suited for LB.

We'll have depth next year, but next year '09 we have to bring in at the least 2-3 LB's in the recruiting class to create more depth which I think we will.

Next season we will have ( I added predictions as well. Class years are what they are next season)

S.Spence (Freshman ALL-American. sophomore)
A.Brown ( Starter at the end of this season, sophomore)
C.McCarthy (Medical Redshirt Junior)
J.Futch (redshirt freshman or sophomore)
D.Sharpton (Loses his job to Brown last season, redhsirt senior)
RR.Armstrong (Could work into the rotation as a freshman)
K.Robinson (IDK if hes even on the team anymore, rarely plays. Could provide depth, redshirt sophomore or junior)

R. Buchannon (Has played a little bit on ST's and safety, maybe staff moves him to LB. Redshirt freshman)
B. Marti (redshirt freshman.)

I think we'll be fine in 09 but we must bring in two or three more LB's in that year in the recruiting class.
Futch has played too much this season to get a redshirt.

You have to play less the 20 percent of the games to be allowed a medical RS so McCarthy will be a SR next season, not a RS JR. He has played well over 20 percent.

So we will have for 2009:

Sean Spence (SO)
Arthur Brown (SO)
Jordan Futch (SO)
Colin McCarthy (SR)
Daryl Sharpton (SR)
Brandon Marti (RS FR)

Then in 2010:

Sean Spence (JR)
Arthur Brown (JR)
Jordan Futch (JR)
Brandon Marti (RS SO)

So can see the clear need to bring it at least 1 more LB in this year's class as well as 2-3 in 2010.

I can't think of a single LB we've ever had that measures 6'4" and by all accounts Ray Ray is a player you want with the ball in his hands, not a guy you want making tackles. I think there's a real good chance he ends up a TE.

No point in even putting Kylan Robinson on the depth chart anywhere. He will be cut this offseason to make room for younger guys.

Buchanan has looked good so far as a safety at 195 pounds and Marcus Robinsons future is at DE. There's no point in projecting them anywhere else at this point in time.

Obviously the staff realizes this as well because we recruited Bostic and Jenkins earlier in the year and we are still in on Jarvis Jones. Now we have word that we are toying with the idea of offering Shane Gordon because we need depth so obviously the coaches are trying to bring in another LB.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Geomar
Rookie

Joey, I read that you cant recieve a medical redshirt if you play in more than 4 games.

McCarthy has only played 4 (CSU, UF, Tex A&M, and UNC)

Im hoping he does get the shirt.

Also Jordan Futch has barely played except for the CSU game in garbage time.

PLus Arthur Brown has passed him up again. (Onky reason why Futch was over him was because Brown got hurt in the fall.)

I mentioned K.Robinson only for depth.

I could see Ray Ray at either LB or TE. (I still think he's better suited for LB.) Whats wrong with him being 6'4? There's a lot of 6'4 LB'ers.

Also I never mentioned Marcus Robinson at all so IDK where you got that from.

Also all Ramon Buchannan has been doing is playing ST's. He hasnt played anything of regular defense at safety. I think he could be great to stay at safety. (I hope Bill Young utilizes him in a rover role.)

I think we might take Shane Gordon to go with Ray Ray.

Im not worrying too much. I think the staff will get the guys they want when it's all said and done.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Joey, I read that you cant recieve a medical redshirt if you play in more than 4 games.

McCarthy has only played 4 (CSU, UF, Tex A&M, and UNC)

Im hoping he does get the shirt.

Also Jordan Futch has barely played except for the CSU game in garbage time.

PLus Arthur Brown has passed him up again. (Onky reason why Futch was over him was because Brown got hurt in the fall.)

I mentioned K.Robinson only for depth.

I could see Ray Ray at either LB or TE. (I still think he's better suited for LB.) Whats wrong with him being 6'4? There's a lot of 6'4 LB'ers.

Also I never mentioned Marcus Robinson at all so IDK where you got that from.

Also all Ramon Buchannan has been doing is playing ST's. He hasnt played anything of regular defense at safety. I think he could be great to stay at safety. (I hope Bill Young utilizes him in a rover role.)

I think we might take Shane Gordon to go with Ray Ray.

Im not worrying too much. I think the staff will get the guys they want when it's all said and done.
Insiders have already confirmed that McCarthy cannot get a redshirt.

Futch had been playing ST for a few games. The only reason why he got passed on the depth chart, was because he got hurt and hasn't played in the last few games. With McCarthy done for the year, you can bet that Futch will be seeing the field alot more once he gets back so the option of redshirting him is non exsistant.

Buchanan saw a few plays as a regular safety last game, not just ST.

I orginally thought that Ray Ray would play LB here but he's already 6'4" 220 pounds. He's got alot of room to grow as well and he will bulk up to close to 240- 245 within a year in a college training program. How many Miami LBs do you see that big? McCarthy is our biggest at 6'3 235. Sharpton is 5'11" 230, Brown is 6'0" and 215, Spence is 6'0" and 205, Futch is 6'2" and 220.

Ray Ray would easily he much much bigger then what we like in our LBs. In fact, he'd quickly grow to the size that we would be looking at for our DEs.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Geomar
Rookie

Quote:
Insiders have already confirmed that McCarthy cannot get a redshirt.

Futch had been playing ST for a few games. The only reason why he got passed on the depth chart, was because he got hurt and hasn't played in the last few games. With McCarthy done for the year, you can bet that Futch will be seeing the field alot more once he gets back so the option of redshirting him is non exsistant.

Buchanan saw a few plays as a regular safety last game, not just ST.

I orginally thought that Ray Ray would play LB here but he's already 6'4" 220 pounds. He's got alot of room to grow as well and he will bulk up to close to 240- 245 within a year in a college training program. How many Miami LBs do you see that big? McCarthy is our biggest at 6'3 235. Sharpton is 5'11" 230, Brown is 6'0" and 215, Spence is 6'0" and 205, Futch is 6'2" and 220.

Ray Ray would easily he much much bigger then what we like in our LBs. In fact, he'd quickly grow to the size that we would be looking at for our DEs.
Arthur Brown is 225.

When did the insiders confirm McCarthy?

Ray Ray is actually around 210. Theirs nothing wrong with him being a LB at all. Just because he would be one of the first at 6'4 doesnt mean anything. Ive seen 6'4 players play LB. He'll be fine to play LB or TE. I still prefer LB.

I reviewed the game again today on espn360. Buchannon only played in on ST's.

Jordan Futch was only injured for the UF game on the injruy reports. He has been playing ST's last two games.

Arthur Brown just simply got his spot back from Futch. Futch took that spot from him in the fall cause of Brown being injured. Brown worked hard for his spot again.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Arthur Brown is 225.

When did the insiders confirm McCarthy?

Ray Ray is actually around 210. Theirs nothing wrong with him being a LB at all. Just because he would be one of the first at 6'4 doesnt mean anything. Ive seen 6'4 players play LB. He'll be fine to play LB or TE. I still prefer LB.

I reviewed the game again today on espn360. Buchannon only played in on ST's.

Jordan Futch was only injured for the UF game on the injruy reports. He has been playing ST's last two games.

Arthur Brown just simply got his spot back from Futch. Futch took that spot from him in the fall cause of Brown being injured. Brown worked hard for his spot again.
Where do you get this info about Ray Ray being 210 when all the info on him says 220? Fact still remains, he has a huge frame and is going to outgrow that position at Miami. Frankly, I'll be surprised if he plays LB here. You keep seeing that you see 6'4 LBs all the time but you have still yet to tell me who the last 6'4" LB you've ever seen at Miami.

I believe it was Cmar on scout that said no redshirt option for Cracker.

Futch was only listed as injured for UF but he had been nicked up before then. Either way, it's a moot point because the fact is, he is not going to get a redshirt. It's impossible, he has played too much already.

I could be wrong but I was at the game and I remember seeing Ramon Buchanan in at least 1 play on the regular defense, in the 3rd quarter I believe it was. I distinctly remember because it was right by my seats at the game, I remember seeing number 45 and thinking "hey, Cookie is seeing some regular PT"

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 10-11-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:30 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quite the anti-climactic affair for us offensively....I had trouble focusing and watching most of the game because of frustration and boredom. The only moment of excitement was when Lee Chambers finally got to touch the ball and broke 3 arm tackles for a big gain. I mean I just pictured Derron Thomas running through that hole and getting 3.5 yards and cringed.

Again we design all our throws to the outside and it's a complete disaster for Marve. Would it really hurt to throw some slants, posts, TE quick hitters and RB circles? How many comebacks and bubble screens have to get jumped by defenders before we let Marve make the plays in front of him and give our receivers room to run? So what if a few balls get batted...you can't walk on eggshells with your playcalling.

Our defense shut down a lousy offense. I never really paid attention because I was never in doubt.

....Sam Shields made plays today....on special teams!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Quite the anti-climactic affair for us offensively....I had trouble focusing and watching most of the game because of frustration and boredom. The only moment of excitement was when Lee Chambers finally got to touch the ball and broke 3 arm tackles for a big gain. I mean I just pictured Derron Thomas running through that hole and getting 3.5 yards and cringed.

Again we design all our throws to the outside and it's a complete disaster for Marve. Would it really hurt to throw some slants, posts, TE quick hitters and RB circles? How many comebacks and bubble screens have to get jumped by defenders before we let Marve make the plays in front of him and give our receivers room to run? So what if a few balls get batted...you can't walk on eggshells with your playcalling.

Our defense shut down a lousy offense. I never really paid attention because I was never in doubt.

....Sam Shields made plays today....on special teams!
Patrick Nix called a good game against FSU. We'll today he remembered he is Patrick Nix.

Here's the biggest problem with his offense, too many 2 yard outs, WR screens and short passes complimented by 25 yard bombs. He completely ignores midrange throws as well as the middle of the field. That's why our offense cannot pick up a 1st down, because there is nothing in it designed to get solid chunks of yards to move the chains and keep drives alive. There's no 12 yard crosses or 8 yard slants. It's all either 3 yards and a cloud of dust, or a big bomb incompletion.

The biggest problem with Nix's offense and playcalling is that it puts all the pressure on the QB and makes it hard for a QB to succeed. They are all either very short yardage shorts or very deep low percentage throws. There's not much that is comfortable and completable for Marve to work with to keep the chains moving.

I agree tho. Despite the score, that game was never in doubt. I mean 78 total yards. Please, UCF had to actually string 2 1st downs together before they could even think TD.

You can tell how young we are. The key word for this team is inconsistent. 1 week the D will come out and look like world beaters (UF, UCF) and another week they will look like garbage (UNC, FSU). Same thing with the offense, some good weeks (FSU, TAM) and some bad weeks (UCF, UF). That is usually a tell tale sign of youngsters going thru growing pains.

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 10-12-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:37 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We looked so AWESOME today...

Very ugly win and one of the most boring, lifeless displays I have ever witnessed.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 10-12-2008, 01:14 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
We looked so AWESOME today...

Very ugly win and one of the most boring, lifeless displays I have ever witnessed.
awesome on d.

Horrible on O.

Anyone that thinks Nix is going to be around next season is kidding themselves. The Boosters are going to make sure that guy is canned.

At the end of the day, it is still gonna come down to recruiting. Did anyone see the list of freshman that played today? It was outrageous.

-We used 5 DTs. 2 of them FR.
-We used 5 DEs today. 3 of them FR, 1 SO
-We used 5 LBs today. 2 of them FR. (Another FR out with injury)
-We used 4 CBs. 1 of them FR. 1 of them SO.
-We used 4 safeties. 1 FR. 1 SO. (Another FR out with injury)
-We used 4 WRs. All 4 were FR. And Davon Johnson would have been the 5th.
-We used 3 RBs. 1 was a FR. 1 was a SO.
-We used 2 QBs. Both FR.

The only area that wasn't dominated by freshman and sophmores today was the OL and they are probably the worst part of our team.

Seriously, a good 70 percent of the roster we threw out there today was FR and SO. These are guys that are growing, learning and providing depth for good programs. But for us they are forced into action because they are our best players. That is how bad our SRs and JRs are. The only damn upperclassmen that we have that are worth a damn are shelved with injuries (Cracker, Moncur and Phillips)

We all know NIX has to go but outside of that, it's just a matter of sitting and watching Randy pull monster recruiting class after monster recruiting class until we have so much talent we can't help but beat up on people.

BTW...How awesome was Brandon Harris today? Loved seeing him bounce back after the terrible game against FSU.

Allen Bailey is really starting to come around, it showed in the stat sheet today. I can't wait to see him hit his stride and get a rhythm going.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
awesome on d.

Horrible on O.

Anyone that thinks Nix is going to be around next season is kidding themselves. The Boosters are going to make sure that guy is canned.

At the end of the day, it is still gonna come down to recruiting. Did anyone see the list of freshman that played today? It was outrageous.

-We used 5 DTs. 2 of them FR.
-We used 5 DEs today. 3 of them FR, 1 SO
-We used 5 LBs today. 2 of them FR. (Another FR out with injury)
-We used 4 CBs. 1 of them FR. 1 of them SO.
-We used 4 safeties. 1 FR. 1 SO. (Another FR out with injury)
-We used 4 WRs. All 4 were FR. And Davon Johnson would have been the 5th.
-We used 3 RBs. 1 was a FR. 1 was a SO.
-We used 2 QBs. Both FR.

The only area that wasn't dominated by freshman and sophmores today was the OL and they are probably the worst part of our team.

Seriously, a good 70 percent of the roster we threw out there today was FR and SO. These are guys that are growing, learning and providing depth for good programs. But for us they are forced into action because they are our best players. That is how bad our SRs and JRs are. The only damn upperclassmen that we have that are worth a damn are shelved with injuries (Cracker, Moncur and Phillips)

We all know NIX has to go but outside of that, it's just a matter of sitting and watching Randy pull monster recruiting class after monster recruiting class until we have so much talent we can't help but beat up on people.

BTW...How awesome was Brandon Harris today? Loved seeing him bounce back after the terrible game against FSU.

Allen Bailey is really starting to come around, it showed in the stat sheet today. I can't wait to see him hit his stride and get a rhythm going.

Allen Bailey and Brandon Harris are studs and future first round picks IMO.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:48 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Nix will get canned 100%....I'm starting to think maybe it will happen before the season's over too. Let's not forget that not only is his playcalling horrible, but our offense is loaded with young talent that's not developing up to par. He's a perfect scapegoat and deservedly so.

I mean just take a look at any media site that covers Miami football.....every single one of them has an article or comment on Nix's questionable playcalling, with some sites being more blunt than others. That's the kind of chain reaction that will be difficult to stop.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Nix will get canned 100%....I'm starting to think maybe it will happen before the season's over too. Let's not forget that not only is his playcalling horrible, but our offense is loaded with young talent that's not developing up to par. He's a perfect scapegoat and deservedly so.

I mean just take a look at any media site that covers Miami football.....every single one of them has an article or comment on Nix's questionable playcalling, with some sites being more blunt than others. That's the kind of chain reaction that will be difficult to stop.
It's not just his playcalling thats the problem either.

He doesn't put players in roles that will allow them to excell. I saw Collier lined up outside too often last game. Collier is strictly a slot guy. I see way too many short passes to Laron Bryd. That's not Bryd's game. Send him downfield and have him jump over guys, let the smaller faster guys get the short passes and try to break tackles in small spaces.

Epps is a load to bring down but all the passes go to him on the sidelines where they can just give him a little shove out of bounds. Takes away from his ability to break tackles which is a strength for him.

And don't even get me started on the OL blocking assignments. As proven by some big stretches we've had against TAM and UNC, our OL can do a good job when the scheme is right. But Nix's plays just do not allow them to suceed. Our OL is not a great pulling OL, so WR screens and Qb draws won't work. But more often then not we do a good job just lining up and road grading holes in the middle for our RBs, yet we never see any of that.

Everything about Nix goes against what we are good at as a team and against what our players need to develope.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just read that Colin McCarthy and Eric Moncur will only be eligible for medial redshirts if Miami plays in the ACC title game and a bowl game. Otherwise they will have played in more than 30% of the team's total games.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote