Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresssh View Post
I keep forgetting about Jaylen Watkins. He has Florida as his leader but hasnt been to Miami yet. I think he cud be a top CB to come out of this class. Miami was in his top 5 before they even offered. And Tailer Jones is paying his own way to come down for the Spring Break game. He said we are recruiting him as an athlete. I really hope we can pull 4 CB's this year. CB's, LB's, and these highly rated O line men are my main concern.
Jaylen is all Gator right now...
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:22 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
Najeh, while the other two are Willis and Frank/Clinton?
Lamar gets compared to Clinton Portis all the time. And it really is uncanny how much Lamar's game resembles Clintons.

James does get compared to Najeh alot and he is a somewhat similar game. James is shiftier then Najeh was.

Don't take me saying James is similar to Najeh as a put down. Ask anyone on here. Najeh was a heck of a RB for us. He was overshadowed by other backs while here but he excelled at his role and although he was seen as mostly a FB, he had more of a RB skill set.

Najeh has really only been looked down on since he got to the league and sucked there but at Miami he was really good.
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any Willis McGahee type back on our depth chart?? I think I'm just wishful thinking..

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike James is tearing it up.

I may have to tip my cap to etk if he keeps this up.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Mike James is tearing it up.

I may have to tip my cap to etk if he keeps this up.
And Hollywood.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:30 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HOWEVER, we still haven't seen Lamar Miller in action yet and it wouldn't shock me at all if we hear the same kind of updates about LM when he heads to Gables this summer.

James getting a head start on things is going to be huge, though.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:31 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
Lamar gets compared to Clinton Portis all the time. And it really is uncanny how much Lamar's game resembles Clintons.

James does get compared to Najeh alot and he is a somewhat similar game. James is shiftier then Najeh was.

Don't take me saying James is similar to Najeh as a put down. Ask anyone on here. Najeh was a heck of a RB for us. He was overshadowed by other backs while here but he excelled at his role and although he was seen as mostly a FB, he had more of a RB skill set.

Najeh has really only been looked down on since he got to the league and sucked there but at Miami he was really good.
Sorta like Greg Jones from FSU?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Sorta like Greg Jones from FSU?
Exactly. Except Greg Jones was the man at FSU. Najeh was overshadowed by all the 1st round Pro Bowlers we put out while he was here.

FWIW...Lamar Miller is not expected to be as polished and ready as James has been so far. But Miller is the better athlete and better runner. He is just expected to take longer on the technique and blocking aspects of the game plus he doesn't get the same jump start on the playbook.

Miller has much, much more ceiling then James does.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:11 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While on the subject of Miami backs, can any of you guys explain to me what's the deal with Clinton Portis "stumbling" and "tripping" in the last couple of years. For such a good runner, I've noticed that he looks like he has trouble keeping his balance at times, even when he's not making any moves i.e. running in the open field. Is he carrying more wieght than he used too, or did he always have this "rumbling bumbling stumbling" act while at miami?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:15 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
While on the subject of Miami backs, can any of you guys explain to me what's the deal with Clinton Portis "stumbling" and "tripping" in the last couple of years. For such a good runner, I've noticed that he looks like he has trouble keeping his balance at times, even when he's not making any moves i.e. running in the open field. Is he carrying more wieght than he used too, or did he always have this "rumbling bumbling stumbling" act while at miami?
I can't answer that completely, but I think I have an idea.

1) He plays hurt alot
2) Miami backs often fall backwards into contact instead of coming at the player from the front, Edge, Portis, and McGahee all do it. The old RB coach here thought it was beneficial for whatever reason. F. Gore doesn't do it as much but he does it from time to time
Old 03-16-2009, 02:42 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
I can't answer that completely, but I think I have an idea.

1) He plays hurt alot
2) Miami backs often fall backwards into contact instead of coming at the player from the front, Edge, Portis, and McGahee all do it. The old RB coach here thought it was beneficial for whatever reason. F. Gore doesn't do it as much but he does it from time to time
sounds about right to me.

*remembers Portis cut back across the field run against Washington in 2000*
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Bryce Brown decommits to us and gives up playing with his brother to go to Tennessee!? And he sites the lack of production and direction on offense as a reason? Yeah, because Tennessee was FAR superior than us last year.

And God led him to Lane Kiffin? One of the biggest scumbags in college football now. What a joke! This kid is so full of it! Good riddance!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
So Bryce Brown decommits to us and gives up playing with his brother to go to Tennessee!? And he sites the lack of production and direction on offense as a reason? Yeah, because Tennessee was FAR superior than us last year.

And God led him to Lane Kiffin? One of the biggest scumbags in college football now. What a joke! This kid is so full of it! Good riddance!
Whipple + Brown = national Championship :(
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:17 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
Whipple + James/Miller/etc/etc = national Championship :)
Corrected. :)

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:17 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Whipple + Brown = national Championship :(
Oh what could have been.

We have so much more talent on this team than Tennessee does. What a terrible mistake this kid is making, and for what!?

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh what could have been.

We have so much more talent on this team than Tennessee does. What a terrible mistake this kid is making, and for what!?
Kiffin's balls must taste like chicken parm
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Kiffin's balls must taste like chicken parm
That's quite an interesting observation.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Larry121283
Rookie

Larry121283 is a cocksman.Larry121283 is a cocksman.Larry121283 is a cocksman.

Quote:

He didn't "decommit"...even if he announced for Miami today, there wasn't a LOI there to sign.
Larry121283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry121283 View Post
He didn't "decommit"...even if he announced for Miami today, there wasn't a LOI there to sign.
It also says that Miami pulled their offer on Rivals:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...asp?CID=924702
Quote:
In the past month, though, UM apparently pulled its offer, saying it didn't want to wait any longer for Brown's decision. In the end, the choice came down to Tennessee and Kansas State, and Brown said it was trust in Kiffin and the Vols' coaches that won him over.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
It also says that Miami pulled their offer on Rivals:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...asp?CID=924702
Larry is the man. You don't need to pull up a link to support something he says. It's supported by his screenname.

Lamar Miller is a better athlete than Mike James, but I'm not buying the better runner/potential argument. At least not with my criteria for the position.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Larry is the man. You don't need to pull up a link to support something he says. It's supported by his screenname.

Lamar Miller is a better athlete than Mike James, but I'm not buying the better runner/potential argument. At least not with my criteria for the position.
RB more then any position in football is the place where a pure athlete can become a star. Basically, you just give him the ball and let him run. You don't need more then basic blocking schemes and running lane knowledge to excell.

So tell me how can you say Lamar Miller is a better athlete and not think he was more potential?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We have so much more talent on this team than Tennessee does.

is better than 99% of college teams by himself, Miami included. :D
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:47 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
RB more then any position in football is the place where a pure athlete can become a star. Basically, you just give him the ball and let him run. You don't need more then basic blocking schemes and running lane knowledge to excell.

So tell me how can you say Lamar Miller is a better athlete and not think he was more potential?
I disagree with your first comment. That might work against defenses in college (i.e. McFadden, Bush, McCoy) but it doesn't lead to pro success. Not that Miller has bust written all over him like those guys.

If that was the case with the RB position, don't you think Graig Cooper would be a star? Problem is, the blocking isn't there for him to create anything past the LOS.

Lamar Miller has an aggressive, slashing running style, but that will lead him into nothing but trouble behind our ***** offensive line. Mike James is the kind of back that keeps your offense flowing and helps put together long drives.

James has more potential because he has great size and frame, good feet, good speed, power, plus intangibles. I can't see Miller having the kind of consistency that James is capable of.

When you put the film on for James, you see him beat the defense in many different ways. With Lamar Miller it's the same run repeated over and over again. Diversity = potential as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Larry121283
Rookie

Larry121283 is a cocksman.Larry121283 is a cocksman.Larry121283 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post

is better than 99% of college teams by himself, Miami included. :D
Should have been a 'Cane.

I blame Ferman for letting his secret visit out of the bag.
Larry121283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
I disagree with your first comment. That might work against defenses in college (i.e. McFadden, Bush, McCoy) but it doesn't lead to pro success. Not that Miller has bust written all over him like those guys.

If that was the case with the RB position, don't you think Graig Cooper would be a star? Problem is, the blocking isn't there for him to create anything past the LOS.

Lamar Miller has an aggressive, slashing running style, but that will lead him into nothing but trouble behind our ***** offensive line. Mike James is the kind of back that keeps your offense flowing and helps put together long drives.

When you put the film on for James, you see him beat the defense in many different ways. With Lamar Miller it's the same run repeated over and over again. Diversity = potential as well.
What does blocking have to do with Miller or James potential and ability?

If the blocking sucks the blocking sucks. Even the best backs can't do anything with poor blocking. The fact that our blocking could be suspect doesn't suddenly made James a better fit or give him more potential.

Quote:
James has more potential because he has great size and frame, good feet, good speed, power, plus intangibles. I can't see Miller having the kind of consistency that James is capable of.
You can say the same things about Miller. He has good size and a solid frame. In fact you could certainly make the case that once these kids are fully filled out, Miller will have a better RB body while James will have more a bowling ball, short yardage FB type body. Both have good feet. Miller wins in the speed department. Not even close. And I have no idea how you can truly say James has intangibles yet. He's been on campus for what 2 weeks. If you wanna talk about intangibles, Miller showed me more by sitting out camps in order to get his grades in order for to get into his school of choice. He missed visits and everything to get it done. But bottom line, these kids havent even taken a snap here so we can't talk about intangibles. For all we know one of them could crack under the pressure of a big game.