Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: who is the best defensive player
Champ Bailey 63 44.06%
Ed Reed 24 16.78%
Brian Urlacher 24 16.78%
Jason Taylor 7 4.90%
other 25 17.48%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since when is Denver's defense piss poor? It's been in the top 10 for the last decade or so.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:12 AM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Shawne Merriman gettin' no love? He's the best.
You cant have this discussion without him

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 AM    (permalink
islandboy843
Pro Bowler

islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not having Peppers on that list makes my blood boil.

islandboy843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:37 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Julius Peppers FTW.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Ok I am going to suprise people and probably take a beating for what I am about to say but here it goes. BOB Sanders Honestly did anyone see how mutch that D improved when he was on the feild he is a great player that does not get as much love as he deserves.
Yeah, but he isn't the best defensive player in the game. Peppers for me. The man can do it all
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:09 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've got to go with Peppers. When he is on, he is damn near impossible to stop.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:24 AM    (permalink
islandboy843
Pro Bowler

islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WOOOO Peppers Fans. +rep

islandboy843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:33 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
I've got to go with Peppers. When he is on, he is damn near impossible to stop.
Must not have been on during the Steelers game because Max Starks completely stonewalled him.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

ill take Urlacher any day after watching him come within a couple feet of chasing down bush in the play off game.

Not to mention he got 3rd in the MVP voting his rookie year.

Seems like hes in on every single tackle there is. the guy is a machine
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The defensive MVP Jason Taylor. :)

Seriously, Champ Bailey. Best CB in the league by far, dominated all year and while he has gotten beaten some in the past he still has played great for a good amount of time. I'm not really impressed with Urlacher. Great pass defender, but I don't like his physicality or his football smarts. He is probably 5 at best for defensive players for me, closer to 6. If Merriman can do it again next year he'll be top 2 but he is probably #5 right now. Peppers is 4, love him but he needs to be more consistent. Reed is #3 just because he plays safety I can't put him higher. Taylor is #2.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll certainly concede that Bailey is the best corner, but I'm having trouble giving the title of best overall defensive player who's only real job is to keep one man under wraps. Not saying that it is easy, but I'd argue that players like Urlacher and Reed, who make plays all over the field on all three levels of the defense are, if not more important, bigger impact players.

I went with Reed because every time I get to watch the guy I always come away more impressed than I am with any other defensive player (although Merrimen comes close). His instincts are amazing, and while his production hasn't quite been up to par the last few years, I feel much better giving it to him than a player like Bailey.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
I'll certainly concede that Bailey is the best corner, but I'm having trouble giving the title of best overall defensive player who's only real job is to keep one man under wraps. Not saying that it is easy, but I'd argue that players like Urlacher and Reed, who make plays all over the field on all three levels of the defense are, if not more important, bigger impact players.

I went with Reed because every time I get to watch the guy I always come away more impressed than I am with any other defensive player (although Merrimen comes close). His instincts are amazing, and while his production hasn't quite been up to par the last few years, I feel much better giving it to him than a player like Bailey.
Well to be fair, in '05 he had a high ankle sprain all year.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Well to be fair, in '05 he had a high ankle sprain all year.
Yeah, I give him a certain amount of slack in that regard. Maybe I'm just having a hard time getting over what a playmaker he was in '03 and '04, but I don't think any other defensive player is obviously better than him (although I see a couple that could move ahead of him very soon, even if he starts producing like he did when he won DPOY).
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Phrost

I am semi-surprised at the results so far.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pass Rusher followed by Cover cornerback are the most important positions to a franchise, defensively they make the most impact. IMO Ed Reed as great as he is, just isn't the best in the league.

Urlacher is undoubtedly the best leader in the game defensively and has a good mind for changing the play at the line of scrimmage, he's great in all facets of the game.

What you cannot do imo, is simply pick "one" best player for the entire defensive side of football. For starters, some positions are naturally going to have more visible impact than others.

So I'd have an elite tier of defensive talent:
Bailey
Peppers
Urlacher
Reed
Taylor

Then I'd have the next tier
McAllister
Sanders
Suggs
Merriman

Followed by the next and so fourth

That said however, I would pick Peppers and its insane he's not on that list, every year 10+ sacks and multiple plays that leave me saying "How the hell does he do that"

Last edited by BlindSite : 06-05-2007 at 07:11 PM.
BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its Champ

but has anyone else noticed that anytime we have a poll the 1st name on the list usually picks up the most votes ? Strange but true in 95% of polls

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Pass Rusher followed by Cover cornerback are the most important positions to a franchise, defensively they make the most impact. IMO Ed Reed as great as he is, just isn't the best in the league.

Urlacher is undoubtedly the best leader in the game defensively and has a good mind for changing the play at the line of scrimmage, he's great in all facets of the game.

What you cannot do imo, is simply pick "one" best player for the entire defensive side of football. For starters, some positions are naturally going to have more visible impact than others.

Bailey
Peppers
Urlacher
Reed
Taylor

McAllister
Sanders
Suggs
Merriman

That said however, I would pick Peppers and its insane he's not on that list, every year 10+ sacks and multiple plays that leave me saying "How the hell does he do that"

if you read i forgot to put him on
i tried to get one of each defensive position
thats why u put other if u want peppers
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A player of his calibre, same with Merriman for that matter, deserve their own name, not just lumped into "other"

Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Bailey
Peppers
Urlacher
Reed
Taylor

McAllister
Sanders
Suggs
Merriman

You say pass rusher is important but you have Merriman, he of the 17/12 sacks to games ratio, in the lower tier of talent? I don't really understand
Old 06-06-2007, 06:21 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:

Bailey
Peppers
Urlacher
Reed
Taylor

McAllister
Sanders
Suggs
Merriman

And how do you have Sanders ahead of Dawkins?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:00 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
Its Champ

but has anyone else noticed that anytime we have a poll the 1st name on the list usually picks up the most votes ? Strange but true in 95% of polls
I guess because people put their own choice, which is most likely to be agreed upon by many on top I suppose.

What I always find funny is that there's always more voters than people discussing it, some people come in, vote, and then leave.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:44 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
And how do you have Sanders ahead of Dawkins?
Dawkins is actually my number one safety in the NFL, as per my safety rankings, I missed out a few players, I was just doing it as an example.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Urlacher....

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
CW99
Rookie

CW99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The best Defensive Player has to be Shawne Merriman
if I had a list it would be
1.Shawne Merriman
2.Brian Urlacher
3.Champ Bailey
4.Ed Reed
5.Brian Dawkins
6.Julius Peppers
7.John Henderson
8.Troy Polamalu
9.Tommy Harris
10.Ray Lewis
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Dawkins is actually my number one safety in the NFL, as per my safety rankings, I missed out a few players, I was just doing it as an example.
Oh my bad.