Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:25 AM    (permalink
amazingdonnie

Default Asante Samuel claims he won't show up until Week 10

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...e_at_minicamp/

I personally think that the pats will;
A) Sign him long term with a few options after 3 and 5 years.
B) Agree not to franchise him again and allow him to play for his tender the full season.

The pats don't have the firepower at CB to play the whole season without Asante (given the injuries always acquired there).
Old 06-05-2007, 06:21 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure he will show up eventually. The Patriots need Samuel, behind him there is very little to talk about. This issue will be resolved before the start of the season in my opinion.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 AM    (permalink
BufFan71
Pro Bowler

BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

B) Agree not to franchise him again and allow him to play for his tender the full season

That might be a bad idea, the bills did that with clements.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this ends up happening (possible, but not very likely, in my opinion), the Patriots still have a pretty decent CB corps - Ellis Hobbs, Randall G ay, Tory James, and Bradon Meriweather. Not really any true #1s on there, but a bunch of solid #2s, and Hobbs has done a good job against #1 wide receivers in the past.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
If this ends up happening (possible, but not very likely, in my opinion), the Patriots still have a pretty decent CB corps - Ellis Hobbs, Randall G ay, Tory James, and Bradon Meriweather. Not really any true #1s on there, but a bunch of solid #2s, and Hobbs has done a good job against #1 wide receivers in the past.
Still nothing to really write home about.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 AM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Asante is a bit of a hothead and is more than likely listening to the wrong people, as today's athletes often do. This news was broken after yesterday's Patriots charity golf outing and both Bruschi and Harrison were talking about the sit and stating they hoped Asante realized the Pats ( BB and RK) were only making a business decision and not to take it personally. It sounds like he is doing just that.

I would expect this to end with either the above option of the pats agreeing to not franchise him again if he comes in to camp, or a sign and trade like they did with Tebucky Jones a few years back. THey need him this year if they are serious about being the #1 contender for the SB, but him at huge #'s longterm will not fit in their cap plans.

I hope he comes in and plays the year with a chiop on his shoulder and his 'fro on fire.
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
amazingdonnie

The thing is here, training camp reports say Eugene Wilson is making the move to corner. Part of me says the pats have to resign this guy, but the other half speculates maybe Bellichick is grooming Wilson to start at corner with Hobbs, allowing Meriweather to start at Safety. This could lead to a Samuel trade in my mind, but the price no doubt would be high. They might ride this one into the preseason and wait for a team to succumb to Secondary injuries, or realize they have a big problem and grab a 1 and 3-5 for him. Either way I don't think this deters them as the team to beat right now, the pats have been winning for years now with secondary depth minimal.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:21 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

They'll probably rip a 1st round pick off somebody like they did last year with Branch. That would give them 3 first rounders next year?
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:39 AM    (permalink
TheMadLionsFan
Rookie

TheMadLionsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Disgruntled Patriots corner Samuel sits out minicamp
ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 5, 2007, 10:34 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
New England Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel says he won't show up for the team's mandatory minicamp, starting Tuesday. Or training camp this summer. Or the first 10 weeks of regular season games.

Samuel, disgruntled after being assigned the team's "franchise" tag, was a no-show at the Patriots Charitable Foundation golf tournament on Monday at the The International Golf Club in Bolton, Mass. Reached by phone afterwards, he told The Boston Globe he is unhappy with the lack of progress in contract talks with the team.

"I'm not coming to camp," he told the newspaper. "I'm not showing up until the 10th week [of the season]. I feel unappreciated. The way they're treating me is just wrong."

The prospect of a star player avoiding camp over money is not new for the Patriots. Last offseason, wide receiver Deion Branch sat out camp over his unhappiness with contract talks and was eventually traded to the Seattle Seahawks.

Samuel

Samuel has yet to sign the one-year, $7.79 million contract he was tendered when the Patriots franchised him, so he is technically not under contract and cannot be fined for missing minicamp. Under the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players union, if a deal isn't reached by the afternoon of July 15, he can sign only a one-year deal and cannot have his contract extended until the regular season ends.

If he shows up for Week 10, Samuel will receive a pro-rated portion of that $7.79 million salary. If he sits out the entire year, he'll get nothing -- and the Patriots will be able to put the franchise tag on him again for 2008.

"He's not coming to camp until a contract resolution can be reached," his agent, Alonzo Shavers, told the Boston Herald on Monday. "Nothing more can be said. His status has not changed. There has been no movement toward a deal."

Samuel is looking for a richer contract after a breakout 2006 season, in which he had 10 interceptions and 65 tackles and became considered one of the NFL's elite cornerbacks.

His teammates said Monday they are ready to move ahead, with or without Samuel.

"If he doesn't come [to minicamp], we have to move on," nose tackle Vince Wilfork told the Globe. "I would love to have him here, but on the same token, we have to move on."

"Asante has enough experience to realize that this is a business and it's not personal," added safety Rodney Harrison. "Coach [Bill] Belichick and Mr. [Robert] Kraft, they're going to do what is in the best interests of this team. .. At the same time, we do miss Asante. He's a good guy, a great player, and we miss having him back. Hopefully, in the near future, they can work things out and he'll be here."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2893597

just give him the damn money
TheMadLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadLionsFan View Post

just give him the damn money
or don't and force him to sit the rest of his career being angry about some stupid tag.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 AM    (permalink
TheMadLionsFan
Rookie

TheMadLionsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
or don't and force him to sit the rest of his career being angry about some stupid tag.

some stupid tag?.....would you risk the prime of your career on a one year contract?.....would you go out and play the most physical and dangerous sport with no security?.....In a league as cut-throat as the NFL no less....these arm chair QB types tickle my funny bone...
TheMadLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 AM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wilson to corner was tried last year in camp as well. He spent 75% of the time there and then played none (at corner that is), not even in nickel packages in the regular season. I don't think he is the desired option at that spot, though maybe a viable one if need be. Wilson is actually viewed as a dissapointment coming off the last 2 seasons and needs to return to the performance / results of his 1st few seasons to be in the mix to start anywhere for the Pats.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope so.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Still nothing to really write home about.
The Patriots won a Super Bowl with Randall "Cool" and Troy Brown in their secondary. If we've learned one thing about the Pats over the years, they continue to win with "nothing to write home about" at certain positions.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
The Patriots won a Super Bowl with Randall "Cool" and Troy Brown in their secondary. If we've learned one thing about the Pats over the years, they continue to win with "nothing to write home about" at certain positions.
Randle homosexual is a very underrated corner.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
Randle homosexual is a very underrated corner.
Who hasn't been healthy since he was being torched by Michael Lewis in the Superbowl. (Keep in mind I am a lifelong Pats fan). He hasn't been on the field for the past 2 seasons. Anything we get from him is gravy, and it won't be the performance of a gamechanging ball hawk like Samuel. Randall is a solid 3, risky 2. A good comparison is oldster "my man" Otis Smith. He will make some plays, support the run but lacks the quickness to not end up being burned for some hilight reel touchdowns.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Pats are so saavy, here's what I think they'll do:

Promise not to franchise Samuel next year to get him to play the entire season for them. They'll use a 2nd rounder on Paul Oliver in the supp draft to replace Samuel if they can't sign him next year. They'll still have 2 1sts and 2 3rds so the 2nd can be used on Oliver with minimal loss.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt he'll sit out a single game. These things always seem to work themselves out.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
islandboy843
Pro Bowler

islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They can always move Randy Moss to CB.

islandboy843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
amazingdonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy843 View Post
They can always move Randy Moss to CB.
Wouldn't that be a sight. Randy Moss the rejuvenated star corner of the New England Patriots. They definitely have the WR depth to do so lol.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If only the didn't Franchise him. But hey, good for the Jets I guess...

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just play. I'd play any position and work 10 times harder to earn half the salary these guys get.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:51 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't want to play either if I was Asante. He earned a big moneym deal last season. So now he has to go out there and play again and risk getting hurt of simply playing worse and losing alot of money. He has no job security with this deal. In the NFL you never know what will happen.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:42 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
Randall started during 1 Superbowl with Brown never getting the start. In previous superbowls the Pats still had the likes of Poole, Law and Samuel in the backfield to go along with the likes of McGinest, Vrabel, Bruschi, Seymour, Harrison, Wilson etc.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadLionsFan View Post
some stupid tag?.....would you risk the prime of your career on a one year contract?.....would you go out and play the most physical and dangerous sport with no security?.....In a league as cut-throat as the NFL no less....these arm chair QB types tickle my funny bone...
you have no funny bone. If you did, you'd realize I made a joke. I'd say more but I refuse to take a 'personal attack' infraction for stating my exact feelings about you. And if I were you I'd start using some normal interpunction, this period-overkill just isn't working for you

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote