Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:12 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy843 View Post
They can always move Randy Moss to CB.
They could do that or throw Troy Brown back there like they did a couple of seasons ago. If they still have him...

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:20 AM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84 View Post
They could do that or throw Troy Brown back there like they did a couple of seasons ago. If they still have him...
Lol are you joking?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors;_...48sYEsiWTsYNAF

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, "several teams" have expressed a willingness to meet Asante Samuel's asking price, which is a contract in the neighborhood of the eight-year, $80 million deal free agent Nate Clements signed with the San Francisco 49ers.

The Patriots offered a one-year, $7.79 million franchise tender that Samuel has yet to sign.

The source said the New York Jets inquired about Samuel, but declined to acknowledge their interest or disclose if it was affected by the NFL draft-day trade that netted Pitt corner Darrelle Revis in the first round.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:10 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can rest happy knowing the Skins have no interest or need in him.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually think Samuel has more leverage than Briggs. I don't either player has much, but his man-to-man coverage skills are a lot harder to replace than playing WLB in a cover 2 scheme, and generally garners a much higher price tag. I was wondering when he was going to go public, as he has a bigger complaint than Briggs does in all honesty.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

that would be completly stupid in my mind... just play take the god dam 7 mill... that your getting to PLAY a game that you LOVE...

then i dont know get a contract next season maybe, 7 mill is a lot of money and isnt the franchise tag amount like something to do with the highset paid player at that position for a year or something? so he is gettinga whole hell of a lot of money.. come on man you have a chance for another title... take it most guys dont get that chance

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

see..if Asante can play like he did last year..no doubt he deserves what he wants. he was lights out

but..he only started at left CB ahead of Hobbs for little more than half the season. Hobbs took over as #1 CB but got hurt and went to #2

so Asante
-maybe 9 games of great play at CB..before that he wasnt much. he needs to prove more
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 PM    (permalink
amazingdonnie

To me, this is looking more and more like a trade situation. The veterans don't seem to attached to Samuel ala Branch last year. The guy has a "Get Paid" tatoo, and seems to want a lot of cash. The Patriots shouldn't pay him HUGE money in my opinion, something reasonable, yes, but not a huge deal. Samuel had 1 great year, if he declines next year, it would be a bad move. I say, grab two firsts from some team desperate for a guy like Samuel, take the lumps and build off it. Two firsts for Samuel would be a great move for the Pats.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is a late round pick who has ONE season that warrants all the hype and talk of "being paid" . I consider the franchise tag and the $7 plus million a pretty fair pay day for such a guy. If he delivers the goods again, then he can talk multi year big bucks. I am curious(sp) if any one knows after what year did Brady get his payday ? after SB #1 or later...
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 PM    (permalink
TheMadLionsFan
Rookie

TheMadLionsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsDemon12 View Post
that would be completly stupid in my mind... just play take the god dam 7 mill... that your getting to PLAY a game that you LOVE...

then i dont know get a contract next season maybe,
yeah next season MAYBE is he doesn't get injured playing for a one year contract with no security...the NFL is a business...and you have to protect your interest.....and it is easy for you to say....because you have never seen that much money in your life so you can loo at the situation from your couch and talk like a civilian....forget that.....go get your money is what I say....because the moment he starts to decline he is gonna get cut.....milk the most ruthless league by far out of the major sports for as much as you can I say
TheMadLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
TheMadLionsFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingdonnie View Post
To me, this is looking more and more like a trade situation. The veterans don't seem to attached to Samuel ala Branch last year. The guy has a "Get Paid" tatoo, and seems to want a lot of cash. The Patriots shouldn't pay him HUGE money in my opinion, something reasonable, yes, but not a huge deal. Samuel had 1 great year, if he declines next year, it would be a bad move. I say, grab two firsts from some team desperate for a guy like Samuel, take the lumps and build off it. Two firsts for Samuel would be a great move for the Pats.
no franchise in their right mind will give up two first round picks...and if you think otherwise...you are high....a cpu Madden franchise wouldn't even accept that deal...
Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 PM    (permalink
amazingdonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadLionsFan View Post
no franchise in their right mind will give up two first round picks...and if you think otherwise...you are high....a cpu Madden franchise wouldn't even accept that deal...
Don't be so sure, coaches have been swapped for multiple picks, If I remember right, the Bucs gave up 2 for Gruden, and the Giants gave up a ton for mediocre Eli. Some franchise would be willing to do that, if they believed it could get them to the superbowl. I agree no franchise SHOULD do it, but some would.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 PM    (permalink
TheMadLionsFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingdonnie View Post
Don't be so sure, coaches have been swapped for multiple picks, If I remember right, the Bucs gave up 2 for Gruden, and the Giants gave up a ton for mediocre Eli. Some franchise would be willing to do that, if they believed it could get them to the superbowl. I agree no franchise SHOULD do it, but some would.

One deal was for a Super Bowl winning coach...and the other was for a potential franchise QB...no franchise is giving up two first round picks for a DB....I would bet the house on it.....
Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 AM    (permalink
amazingdonnie

Nowadays where elite cover corners are so valued, I wouldn't be suprised. Gruden in my mind was hardly worth the picks, he took over a very good Dungy team, and brought it downhill from there. Don't be suprised to see a team chuck 2 1sts, or a 1st and a 2nd. To me, a deal getting done seems remote, unless it greatly favors the Pats through incentives, or options.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:18 AM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Samuel would not bring multiple high draft picks. He doesn't have that kind of impact. The only corner who would warrant that would be Denver's Bailey, and I don't think I would do it for him (Bailey) now b/c he won't be contributing that kind of impact for that many more years.

You need to look at the whole picture in these situations as it is often a combo of factors that lead to a guy looking or peforming this well.

+ He plays for a team loaded at d-line that is pressuring the qb fairly well and
shutting down the run.
+ He plays for a team that is upper echelon, often in the lead.
+ He plays for a coach that is about as good as it gets at confusing QB's
with different looks / coverages

All of this helps Samuel put up such a season. His team is going to be winning, teams are forced to throw, he is a ballhawk by nature and he played to his strenghts.

If he gets traded to the Cardinals (just a random choice) for a one and a four is he gonna put up those numbers ? I don't think so. He isn't a shut down corner you are , as an o- coordinator, going to stay away from his side of the field. On the contrary, teams did throw at Samuel and he , to his credit , performed.

He is looking to get paid off his last year and it should be more correctly off the entire body of work he has put up. I remember him being smoked in the Denver divisional game 2 years ago for a TD. He is due a raise, the one year deal via franchise tag is over market IMO, if he wants a long term deal with $$ guaranteed, I think he needs to take a little less and stay put. He is a good player in a VERY GOOD situation in NE and I strongly believe he would not experience the success he has to this point in to many other situations.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope he doesn't maybe a chink in the pats armor.

But it won't matter they with still win the super bowl.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see why everyone is acting like the Pats already won something? Have you all learned nothing from the countless examples of preseason champs that fall flat on their face? You don't even have to look back that far, as the Panthers of last year are a perfect example.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I don't see why everyone is acting like the Pats already won something? Have you all learned nothing from the countless examples of preseason champs that fall flat on their face? You don't even have to look back that far, as the Panthers of last year are a perfect example.
they're the Patriots, plus they've improved, we're just looking forward and the pats winning it as of now a likely scenario.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
they're the Patriots, plus they've improved, we're just looking forward and the pats winning it as of now a likely scenario.
No it's not.

A likely scenario is over 50%. If you gave me the field of 31 other teams versus the Pats I would take any offer you wanted to lay on the table.

This is what I'm talking about. They haven't won anything yet. They added a potential washed up player and a pass rusher. Both could work out. Both could not. Right now they are nothing more than the offseason champions, and usually that doesn't turn out to be a good thing.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

The only post in the thread that mentions the Patriots chances of winning the Superbowl is the one that immediatelly precedes yours. The topic is Asante Samuel's contract situation.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Patriots ARE the favorites to win the Super Bowl. I don't think there is much question about that.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
No it's not.

A likely scenario is over 50%. If you gave me the field of 31 other teams versus the Pats I would take any offer you wanted to lay on the table.

This is what I'm talking about. They haven't won anything yet. They added a potential washed up player and a pass rusher. Both could work out. Both could not. Right now they are nothing more than the offseason champions, and usually that doesn't turn out to be a good thing.
Your definition of likely is way off. Let's break this down in slomo

32 teams -> one trophy. So in a perfectly honest world, every team would have about 3.13% chance to win, agreed?

Now let's say half the teams in the league don't have the stuff to win it in the first place, barring a miracle of course. So that's still 16 teams, or 6.25% chance.

Now let's say we break it down one more step, logically so this is barring major change and all that. Let's say 8 teams are still contending at this point. chances of winning it all are 12.5 percent, seems fair right?

So your definition of likely flies... in a two team league. Now even if we narrow it down a whole lot, it still comes down to the fact wether the chance the pats win it all are larger than 12.5 percent AT MOST. If you wish to put everybody in as a contender, the percentage drops to 3.13.

So depending on your definition of a 'contender', as long as the pats' chance of winning the superbowl is larger than 3.13% or 12.5%, I can call it a likely situation. And let me assure you, I feel their chances exceed 12.5 percent. Class excused.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:41 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

You need to find yourself a dictionary.

If someone says they are likely to do something it means there is a greater chance that it will happen than not. On an injury report if a player is listed as probable (which, by definition, is more or less the same thing as likely), it means there is a greater than 50% chance of them doing it (in this case around 75%).

And nobody holds class on the professor.8)

Old 06-08-2007, 09:01 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Brady signed a 6 year $60 mill contract in '05 ..

Samuel wants similar deal to Clements which turns out to be close to 10 mill per year like Brady on average. Thats ridiculous..hes nowhere near what Brady's worth and hes done it for 1 year..less actually. He shines in playoffs in past but only 1 really good season(less than a full season actually)
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Brady is worth way more than 6 for 60 million. Especially with the new CBA. You're comparing apples and oranges.