Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Better 2nd Year RB... J.I. or Maroney?
J.I. 32 35.56%
Maroney 58 64.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Maroney will, I really like how he runs. On top of that, the Pats added major weaopns to their offense, so teams have to look to stop that too. Addai on the otherhand is working w/ Peyton, who throws quite a bit more than Brady does

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.

Maroney is the better RB if you're talking about just giving him the ball and seeing where he goes. But when you add in blocking (which Addai is excellent at and which is very important to the colts offense) and catching the ball, I think they're neck and neck.

Addai was always banged up in college but held up last year, and Maroney had some issues last year but carried a load (lots of mileage) in college.

Both will be great, but I'll go with Addai overall, because he's an all around back. Plus I like his attitude, he seems to be all about getting better and always team first, and I like the way he talks he sounds a little "slow" but really knows his stuff.
tylerb929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well I am an Addai fan so you know how I voted.

It would be really intresting if you would toss in Bush and Jones-Drew to the list.
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
when did Addai carry the load? He was either injured or just didnt play much in college..
His Senior year he carried most of the load.

He had 181 carries and 911 yards to go with 9 TD's.

The next in line was Justin Vincent with 121 carries with 488 yards and 5 TD's.

Addai averages 4.9 YPC that year too.

I think statistically Mauroney will have the better year but Addai is the more complete back.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh yeah, definitely Maroney. Addai is good, but not that good. He is just a guy, not someone who can takeover a game or anything. Maroney is gonna be on a different level when all's said and done.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post

I think statistically Mauroney will have the better year but Addai is the more complete back.
I'm not sure carrying the ball 181 times really constitutes carrying the load though...
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maroney is on an offense with a much improved passing game. The Colts have a solid passing game as well but Maroney is the overall better back thus he'll have the better year.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:38 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post

Maroney: 281 carries junior..217 sophomore year

so whoever said Maroney hasnt carried the load..hes done a lot more than Addai in college

Maroney is an underrated receiver..and blocker
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Addai is good, but not that good. He is just a guy, not someone who can takeover a game or anything.

Watch the Eagles @ Indy game. He had 171 yards on 24 carries with 4 TDs (averaging 7.1 yards per carry, along with 2 receptions for 37 yards).

He didn't make a single run over 15 yards and didn't make any for negative yards. He completely took over that game.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb929 View Post
Watch the Eagles @ Indy game. He had 171 yards on 24 carries with 4 TDs (averaging 7.1 yards per carry, along with 2 receptions for 37 yards).

He didn't make a single run over 15 yards and didn't make any for negative yards. He completely took over that game.
against 1 of the worst run Ds at the time?
i can name a big game verse a bad D with decent WRs at best

Maroney verse Bengals: 15 carries, 125 yards. 8.3 ypc 2 TDs. 1 catch 15 yards

..it was even better looking than stats indicate. he made a fool of everyone on Bengals and stiffed arm..ran over..juked. he did it all.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Addai has the higher floor, isn't a game-breaker but is consistently good. A stellar all-purpose back from day one who doesn't buckle under pressure, thanks to his experience at LSU under Nick Saban/Jimbo Fisher and playing in the SEC.

Maroney has the higher ceiling, with game-breaking potential (which we've already seen) in addition to being able to shoulder the load. As he continues to refine his skills, he'll be an excellent all-purpose back sooner rather than later.

The above is why I loved both guys coming out of college, ranking them 2A and 2B for the Colts behind Reggie, and just hoped they could get one of the two.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 PM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Addai has the higher floor, isn't a game-breaker but is consistently good. A stellar all-purpose back from day one who doesn't buckle under pressure, thanks to his experience at LSU under Nick Saban/Jimbo Fisher and playing in the SEC.

Maroney has the higher ceiling, with game-breaking potential (which we've already seen) in addition to being able to shoulder the load. As he continues to refine his skills, he'll be an excellent all-purpose back sooner rather than later.

The above is why I loved both guys coming out of college, ranking them 2A and 2B for the Colts behind Reggie, and just hoped they could get one of the two.
What exactly gives Addai the higher floor? Maroney was a better back in college (ie proven rather than unknown) and didn't have injury problems.
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Maroney: 281 carries junior..217 sophomore year

so whoever said Maroney hasnt carried the load..hes done a lot more than Addai in college

Underrated? Sure.

Just not better than Addai.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Didn't Maroney have something wrong with his shoulder? I thought I read something about this a couple of months ago. Can anyone clear that up?
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:08 AM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dunno why but I've always like the 'phoney Maroney's' style

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb929 View Post

Dude I love the Eagles but our run defense bordered on pathetic. That's not a good barometer. Maroney for me please. Better all-around back, bigger, faster
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 AM    (permalink
Woody56
Veteran

Woody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think Maroney is a better runner than Addai, but Addai is so good as a receiver and blocker that puts him higher than Maroney for me. So Addai for me.
Woody56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:37 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both were in similar situations last year, playing in a backup role to a veteran RB, but seeing significant PT. The results in 2006:

Addai
226 Rush Att 1081 Rush Yds 4.8 YPC 7 TDs 66 FDs
40 Rec 325 Rec Yds 8.1 YPR 1 TD 20 FDs

Maroney
175 Rush Att 745 Rush Yds 4.3 YPC 6 TDs 40 FDs
22 Rec 194 Rec Yds 8.8 YPR 1 TD 11 FDs

So, despite carrying the ball 51 more times, Addai averaged 1/2 yard more per carry while also doing much more in the passing game, maintaining relatively similar production rates to Maroney in the passing game over nearly double the amount of receptions. This does not take into account blocking, but to compare, Addai was usually in for passing situations for the Colts (and did things such as stop DeMarcus Ware cold from full speed when asked to block), whereas Kevin Faulk was the Patriots' usual choice of RB on passing downs. So, in just about every respect other than kick returning (which the Colts did not allow Addai to do), Addai was at the very least as good and in most aspects better than Maroney in 2006. Given that both teams improved their offenses on paper over the offseason (though as we all know, that means very little), I don't see much changing. The only way I see Maroney outperforming Addai in 2007 is if Maroney is asked to carry the full load and Addai is not (which is a possibility since the Colts have stated numerous times this offseason that they would like to continue employing the 2 back system).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Maroney for me please. Better all-around back
Surely you jest. Better runner? Debatable, but I'll concede it. Addai is still by far the better receiver and blocker, and the difference between their abilities as a runner is not nearly large enough (as shown above) to make up the difference Addai makes in all other facets of the game.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:29 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Both were in similar situations last year, playing in a backup role to a veteran RB, but seeing significant PT. The results in 2006:

Addai
226 Rush Att 1081 Rush Yds 4.8 YPC 7 TDs 66 FDs
40 Rec 325 Rec Yds 8.1 YPR 1 TD 20 FDs

Maroney
175 Rush Att 745 Rush Yds 4.3 YPC 6 TDs 40 FDs
22 Rec 194 Rec Yds 8.8 YPR 1 TD 11 FDs

So, despite carrying the ball 51 more times, Addai averaged 1/2 yard more per carry while also doing much more in the passing game, maintaining relatively similar production rates to Maroney in the passing game over nearly double the amount of receptions. This does not take into account blocking, but to compare, Addai was usually in for passing situations for the Colts (and did things such as stop DeMarcus Ware cold from full speed when asked to block), whereas Kevin Faulk was the Patriots' usual choice of RB on passing downs. So, in just about every respect other than kick returning (which the Colts did not allow Addai to do), Addai was at the very least as good and in most aspects better than Maroney in 2006. Given that both teams improved their offenses on paper over the offseason (though as we all know, that means very little), I don't see much changing. The only way I see Maroney outperforming Addai in 2007 is if Maroney is asked to carry the full load and Addai is not (which is a possibility since the Colts have stated numerous times this offseason that they would like to continue employing the 2 back system).

Surely you jest. Better runner? Debatable, but I'll concede it. Addai is still by far the better receiver and blocker, and the difference between their abilities as a runner is not nearly large enough (as shown above) to make up the difference Addai makes in all other facets of the game.
our OL couldnt run block..we used a power scheme that didnt suit Maroney. He didnt get many chances to receive out of backfield..we have Faulk whos 1 of the best 3rd down backs. Unfair to compare any stats when u have 2 of the best WRs when we had Caldwell-Brown-Gaffney
Old 06-06-2007, 05:38 AM    (permalink
amazingdonnie

Quote:
our OL couldnt run block..we used a power scheme that didnt suit Maroney. He didnt get many chances to receive out of backfield..we have Faulk whos 1 of the best 3rd down backs. Unfair to compare any stats when u have 2 of the best WRs when we had Caldwell-Brown-Gaffney

That's true. I believe this year, the Pats will run him out of the shotgun or an ace set with 4wrs. This will allow Maroney to find holes easily, and have a huge year. Maroney is just simply a much better runner, this isn't even debatable. Anyone who has seen his burst, quickness, and power, knows he is an elite runner. As for blocking and pass protection, Addai is better, but people forget, those are skill related, they will develop. Running is more of a natural ability, some guys just can fly and move, some can't. Maroney, is going to be a much better back than Addai when their careers are over. Talent-wise, Maroney takes the cake, and his skills will develop to overcome Addai easily.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:52 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How did I know the "Colts had better WRs" argument would come up? Wouldn't the Colts having better WRs imply the Pats' need to make more use of their talented young RB, in both the running and passing game? Yet Maroney carried the ball 51 less times than Addai last season, averaged 1/2 yard less per carry, and had slightly over half of the receptions Addai did at about the same rate of production. Harrison and Wayne explain all that? Wow, they must be better than Rice and Taylor. If Maroney was a good receiver and blocker, he would have cut into Faulk's playing time. As for the Pats' OL, has the personnel changed? I know they're going to more of a ZBS this year, but if their OL couldn't run block last year, a shift in scheme won't make that much difference. Given an approximately equal workload, I'll take the more consistent and more productive player in this, and that would be Addai.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:33 AM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Dude I love the Eagles but our run defense bordered on pathetic. That's not a good barometer. Maroney for me please. Better all-around back, bigger, faster
I'm not saying that IS Addai and he'll do it everygame. He just told me Addai COULDN'T take over a game, and I showed him he could.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:37 AM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

Quote:
I never said Maroney was bad. In fact he's about average.

But Addai is better. Addai played some WR at LSU, and he has excellent hands. On top of that he probably did better in passing blocking situations than any rookie RB I've seen before.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
I think Maroney is a better runner than Addai, but Addai is so good as a receiver and blocker that puts him higher than Maroney for me. So Addai for me.
That's how I feel too.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

great, this thread went from a 'whine about a spelling error' to a LSU homer fest. Doomed from the day it started.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote