Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 06-07-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Russell Looking Like Starter!

Russell is impressing players and coaches in OTA's.

http://www.mercurynews.com/raidershe...nclick_check=1
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That is password protected, can you post the article?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

JaMarcus Russell was throwing tight, rising 100mph fastballs Wednesday, and everybody else was throwing screwballs and forkballs.

There's your instant, incredibly premature June snapshot of the Raiders quarterback situation heading into the 2007 season, and, in this one case, it's all you really need to know.

Raiders 2006 offense: horrendous.

Raiders' other quarterbacks: faceless.

Russell's prospects, from 2007 onward: tremendous.

Who should start the first game of the rest of this franchise's life? Easy call, unless Josh McCown meant to throw all those passes to defenders during the team's voluntary workout Wednesday, and unless you think Al Davis wants to pay Russell $30million in guaranteed cash to watch other people play.

Raiders Coach Lane Kiffin won't commit to the No.1 overall pick in this spring's draft just yet, but it's so obvious.

Barring major complications between now and September - or a surprise acquisition, like, say, Daunte Culpepper - with every easy 30-yard flick Russell is showing that he will and must be the Raiders' starting quarterback right away.

"It is (a possibility)," Russell said of starting Week1. "It can be. It depends on how much the coach throws at you. If you want to be that guy, it's going to take a lot for you to get everything down to start.

"Because... man... things are fast."

But... man, Russell looks good in the backfield.

He's raw, no doubt; he bobbled one snap and slipped and fell while dropping back on another. He has to learn to read NFL defenses and learn to throw while 290-pound defensive ends blow past his linemen.
But, really, didn't Aaron Brooks do that practically every play last season? Wouldn't you rather see Russell try his hand?

Though Russell probably never will be as vocal or as demanding as Tom Brady, at 21, he carries his massive, 6-foot-6 frame with agility and a surprising degree of poise.

Russell was quiet and confident in every drill, and everybody else was... well, everybody else was McCown (wobble, wobble), Andrew Walter (knee surgery, off the premises), Josh Booty and Jeff Otis.

Russell almost impaled Jerry Porter with one pass, threw another so hard that it ricocheted 15 yards off rookie Oren O'Neal's hands, and lasered a couple of 20-yard in-route passes to Travis Taylor.

"I think I'm doing pretty good," Russell said. "All the stuff that they're throwing at me, I'm picking it up day by day."

Near the end of the workout, Kiffin set up a four-minute drill, when the Raiders offense had to protect a lead and try to run out the clock - a drill that, of course, was not necessary last year.

Kiffin spent a great deal of the period talking to Russell, pulling him aside, just endeavoring to teach him how to lead an offense in crucial situations.

"He's different than a lot of guys," Kiffin said. "But he gets his point across, and players follow him. That was evident in being down (at Louisiana State) and being around the guys that he played with down there.

"And it's already happened here a little bit. Guys do respect him for the way that he works and they respect him for the way he is. He's just not vocal about it, and that's fine."

I asked Russell if he senses that his teammates are watching his every move - he already knows fans and reporters are doing that - and he laughed and smiled. "A lot of guys do, because they've been hearing about `cannon arm,' this and that. A lot of guys want to see if it's real."

It's real. It's definitely real. But Russell suggested that it's the work ethic, not the cannon, that will do most of his persuading.

It's already happening. During one drill, before offensive coordinator Greg Knapp could start yelling, Russell turned around and angrily told O'Neal to get himself over to the correct side of the formation.

O'Neal immediately did just that, and the play commenced.

"I just come out and try my best," Russell said. "I do my best work out here. Guys see that I'm busting my butt and guys look up to you for that."

So, will Russell win the starting job in training camp?

I think Sept.9, against the Detroit Lions, will be the time. If Kiffin has to scale down the offensive package just a bit, no matter.

They need Russell. They desperately need him. He's there. It'd be silly to conclude anything else after watching all those fastballs.

From here: http://www.mercurynews.com/raidershe...nclick_check=1
Old 06-10-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thats great news, Russell is starting to take command, but i still believe a vet. should start for at least half a season, similar to warner and leinart.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:44 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

I agree I think we should have Russell sit out for the first couple of games.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Crow
Pro Bowler

Crow hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Let McCown take the beatdowns until the line starts playing halfway decent. Makes sense to me.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:03 AM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah I would let McCown play first and see how the O-line looks than put Russell in
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

I think he should sit as well. Another thought is not to determine the Week 1 starter by the play of the Quarterbacks on the roster, but start Jamarcus if/when that O-line is ready to provide any kind of formidable protection. Let the O-line gel for a few weeks, and get Russel in there. I dont want to see another No.1 Qb go gun-shy because he starts taking hits from Day 1.
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

something to take into consideration when we talk about sitting Russell for the first half and starting him for the 2nd half of the season is we have a cupcake schedule in the first half and a tough schedule in the 2nd half.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i want russell to sit out atleast 4-12 games before he start him. he could get some playing time if walter or mccown arnt doing good in the game.

plus, yes im back now

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shocking contract news!!!!!

Talks between JaMarcus Russell and the Raiders are stalled because Russell won't budge from his demands that his contract be paid in Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers instead of dollars.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

Shocking News!!!

You're completely ignorant! Russell looks even thinner now compared to his pro-day, his weight is not an issue. What the hell was the point of that post? Were you trying to be funny, because you came off sounding like an idiot.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

actually come to think of it our first game is against the Lions.a team that only had 30 sacks last season.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 AM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you know what, let them keep mocking Russell. We’ll see whose laughing in a few years.

Last edited by NIN1984 : 06-20-2007 at 10:03 AM.
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 PM    (permalink
BufFan71
Pro Bowler

BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if McCown goes in and ends up getting killed and sacked like crazy then u shouldnt risk your future QB for this upcoming season

cuz u all have a good defense, but if ya'll can get a solid o-line....

b/c thats all u need, and more exp for Russel
Old 06-21-2007, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Fresh
Rookie

Fresh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

See how preseason goes, first. Whoever plays better should get the start. If Russell doesn't win the job then throw him in by mid season, to get a taste of the NFL.
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

from everything I've read it pretty much seems like it's Russell's job to lose. He's clearly more talented than anyone else on the roster, it just depends on how well he continues to progress. I personally think it's the right decision if it's putting the best player on the field no matter how many years of experience they may have.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
raiderfan_89
Pro Bowler

raiderfan_89 is a cocksman.raiderfan_89 is a cocksman.raiderfan_89 is a cocksman.

Nope.
Russel isn't ready despite his pro-bowlish practices.
It's the off-season folks. Not even Pre-season yet and you want to start a Raw Rookie QB. You're outta your mind. The only way I see Jaru starting is if we have a herendous first half of the season.OR.He can get some playing time in the last few games of the season. He isn't ready.Not at all.
I would like the coaches to treat Jaru like the Bengals did Carson Palmer.
I know that Carson doesn't compare in any way to Jaru College-stats/record wise, but he is a rookie QB with the potential of a Hall of Famer. If you don't ever want to see a Jaru Bust in Canton then by all means start him againist the Detroit Lions on FOX.
:]
Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

how funny, so instead of starting the most talented player on our roster at the QB position you say sit him just for the heck of it because he's a rookie. McCown gives us no better chance of winning at all, he has issues of his own, i know i had to watch him in az and he floats way too many balls. it's a big learning curve, but jamarcus has picked up the playbook very well so far and has made the better throws, if the kid is ready let him go. i'd say it's a 60% chance of him winning out the starting job right now.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

we would sit him because we dont want to ruin his career by sending him into the fire behind a bad OL before hes ready. Look at guys like David Carr, Tim Couch, Akili Smith......talented players thrown into the fire before they were ready, their careers ruined.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.

Yah we really need the OL to sort their **** out before we send Jamarcus out there....if they pick up the ZBS quickly and are protecting well, by all means, let them man play.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

Im not totally against starting him day one especially since were playing Detroit.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say we start Russell from day 1. In the NFL you draft for the present and the future. And I think the best way to learn is from your own mistakes, not someone else's (McCown in this case).
Old 07-14-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
we would sit him because we dont want to ruin his career by sending him into the fire behind a bad OL before hes ready. Look at guys like David Carr, Tim Couch, Akili Smith......talented players thrown into the fire before they were ready, their careers ruined.
i'd rather russell learn on the job then from the bench. some guys are ready to go day 1 and i think jamarcus is ready. he's had just as much time with the new system as anybody, so neither walter or mccown can show anything that he cant learn on the fly. the line and jamarcus need to grow together as soon as possible that way they can get into rythm and get going.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
raiderfan_89
Pro Bowler

raiderfan_89 is a cocksman.raiderfan_89 is a cocksman.raiderfan_89 is a cocksman.

He is definitely the best player on our roster...........potentially.We don't want to kill that potential by placing him behind that line that we have. He might lose concentration and eventually he'll forget what he has to do. We need to improve that o-line first or they need to prove their worth then we can throw him back there.