Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 06-07-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Chris Colmer

Why was he released?

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
dbtb135
Rookie

dbtb135 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Failed a physical because of his Parsonage Turner Syndrome affecting his shoulders since college. We were pretty much set at tackle anyway with Petitgout/Davis on the left and True/Denman on the right. Still, what a waste of a draft pick. As a team who had little young talent, they should have known better than to take huge medical risk, with limited potential, with a first day pick. But what can you do?
dbtb135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:40 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtb135 View Post
Failed a physical because of his Parsonage Turner Syndrome affecting his shoulders since college. We were pretty much set at tackle anyway with Petitgout/Davis on the left and True/Denman on the right. Still, what a waste of a draft pick. As a team who had little young talent, they should have known better than to take huge medical risk, with limited potential, with a first day pick. But what can you do?
That was the reason why he was drafted. He had potential. The problem with the "p" word is that it doesn't always work out and that is what we got with Colmer.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:38 AM    (permalink
dbtb135
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
That was the reason why he was drafted. He had potential.
LIMITED potential. Of course he had potential, but not the type of potential that makes you overlook his situation. Especially in the 1st day.

As I explained on the PR boards, Marcus McNeil had crazy potential. Freak of nature size, legit LT potential, outstanding play in a tough conference, didn't miss a game in his last two seasons at Auburn(IIRC), among the best LTs in football his junior and senior seasons. And he still fell a round because of his back concerns. Meanwhile, Colmer: a man of limited potential (he wasn't counted on to be our LT of the future, maybe not even our RT of the future), best play was 2nd team All ACC, missed an entire football season due to this syndrome he had, didn't even work out at the combine. And he didn't even fall out of the first day?

Big risk, that was fulfilled in that he never even played a down for us/ minimal reward.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:45 AM    (permalink
simms2clayton

Quote:
LIMITED potential. Of course he had potential, but not the type of potential that makes you overlook his situation. Especially in the 1st day.

As I explained on the PR boards, Marcus McNeil had crazy potential. Freak of nature size, legit LT potential, outstanding play in a tough conference, didn't miss a game in his last two seasons at Auburn(IIRC), among the best LTs in football his junior and senior seasons. And he still fell a round because of his back concerns. Meanwhile, Colmer: a man of limited potential (he wasn't counted on to be our LT of the future, maybe not even our RT of the future), best play was 2nd team All ACC, missed an entire football season due to this syndrome he had, didn't even work out at the combine. And he didn't even fall out of the first day?

Big risk, that was fulfilled in that he never even played a down for us/ minimal reward.
I think Gruden was targeting McNeil in round 2 but unfortunately San Diego got him and so we grabbed Trueblood instead.

I think McNeil would have been a much better RT than LT for us and we would have won a lot more games with him last season.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:58 AM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

Colmer was a wasted pick, as was Cooper, hopefully Zematis doesn't turn out to be the same. It is frustrating how the Bucs' current managment throws away picks, especially day 2 picks.
Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:34 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Of course potential is limited, but you were downplaying the potential Colmer had. He was a classic boom/bust guy. You can't win them all, or any if you look at the current Bucs.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 AM    (permalink
dbtb135
Rookie

Quote:
Of course potential is limited, but you were downplaying the potential Colmer had. He was a classic boom/bust guy. You can't win them all, or any if you look at the current Bucs.
We can agree to disagree there. It might seem like I'm not giving Colmer his due, but I just didn't see the reward outweighing the risk there. He was a guy who probably didn't have the size or agility to compete with the ends he would have been facing in the South. Adequate RT or guard at most. To take a risk like that, he should be an impact player in the making. But he wasn't a guy you'd already pencil into the lineup Eg: Davin, Sears, McNeil, etc.

And this was Gruden's big character/intelligence draft with Ruud, Alex Smith, and Buenning preceding and following the Colmer pick. If memory serves correctly, Colmer was a pretty smart guy with no record IIRC. Maybe his intelligence and interviews earned him points from the staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms2clayton View Post
I think Gruden was targeting McNeil in round 2 but unfortunately San Diego got him and so we grabbed Trueblood instead.

I think McNeil would have been a much better RT than LT for us and we would have won a lot more games with him last season.
A Davin/McNeil draft would have put a TON of potential on that RIGHT side of the line. But what can you do?

Last edited by dbtb135 : 06-08-2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Awful mistake
Old 06-08-2007, 06:46 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
We can agree to disagree there. It might seem like I'm not giving Colmer his due, but I just didn't see the reward outweighing the risk there. He was a guy who probably didn't have the size or agility to compete with the ends he would have been facing in the South. Adequate RT or guard at most. To take a risk like that, he should be an impact player in the making. But he wasn't a guy you'd already pencil into the lineup Eg: Davin, Sears, McNeil, etc.

A Davin/McNeil draft would have put a TON of potential on that left side of the line. But what can you do?
Joseph, Sears and McNeil were 1st/2nd rounders and Colmer was not so to expect the same kind of play is kind of ridiculous.

Davin Joseph doesn't play left side.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
we would have won a lot more games with him last season.
An upgrade at RT would not have won us a single extra game last year.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
dbtb135
Rookie

Quote:
Joseph, Sears and McNeil were 1st/2nd rounders and Colmer was not so to expect the same kind of play is kind of ridiculous.
Thats entirely my point! He wasn't on par with those types of talent, AND had a huge medical reg flag to boot. Not a guy you should be taking chances on in the 1st day. If he falls to the 5th round, you take the chance. Like a Larry Brackins or Greg Peterson, a project that doesn't hurt too much if it fails. But us of all teams shouldn't be taking this risk day 1. He should be a top 2 round type of talent in order to take him in the 3rd, all things considered. As it is, he simply wasn't on par with the 2nd rounders of the same consideration. The Justin Blalocks, Arron Sears, Khalif Barnes, Michael Roos outclass this guy by a country mile BEFORE potentially not even playing comes into the picture.

Quote:
Davin Joseph doesn't play left side.
Right side I meant, going by his assumption that we put McNeil at RT.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Thats entirely my point! He wasn't on par with those types of talent, AND had a huge medical reg flag to boot. Not a guy you should be taking chances on in the 1st day. If he falls to the 5th round, you take the chance. Like a Larry Brackins or Greg Peterson, a project that doesn't hurt too much if it fails. But us of all teams shouldn't be taking this risk day 1. He should be a top 2 round type of talent in order to take him in the 3rd, all things considered. As it is, he simply wasn't on par with the 2nd rounders of the same consideration. The Justin Blalocks, Arron Sears, Khalif Barnes, Michael Roos outclass this guy by a country mile BEFORE potentially not even playing comes into the picture.

Obviously he wasn't on par with them dude. He wasn't drafted in the same round as the guys you listed. He was a 3rd rounder so comparing him to Sears, McNeil, Joseph etc is pointless.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:12 AM    (permalink
dbtb135
Rookie

Quote:
Obviously he wasn't on par with them dude. He wasn't drafted in the same round as the guys you listed. He was a 3rd rounder so comparing him to Sears, McNeil, Joseph etc is pointless.
I'm not saying this to be insulting or condescending in any way, but reading back through my posts do you understand my point at all? You're seemingly missing it entirely.

MORE is expected of more talented guys. If Colmer was taken in the 3rd by us, ALL THINGS CONDISERED, he should be a 2nd round type talent. Maybe even better, considering how his situation was more career threatening than 99% of most players that come out of college with a torn ACL or broken arm. This syndrome is not curable. He cannot rehab it. But when you look at the 2nd rounders like the Roos, Barnes, Sears, Blalock, and the like. Solid 2nd rounders. They outclass Colmer in terms of talent, easily. So that would make him a borderline 2nd/3rd round talent who we took in the 3rd. His SITUATION should have dropped him more than that.

If he had the type of Joesph/Blalock potential, he'd should STILL be drafted a round lower than them because they're able bodied guys, and he might not be. Right? Ie: McNeil.

This is going off my point of LIMITED potential. If he's not on par with guys like that to begin with, why is his potential worth the pick? How do you rationalize that pick in the 1st day if you're not expecting a big time payoff? As I said, huge risk/minimal reward.

Do you get what I'm saying?
Old 06-09-2007, 01:23 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I'm not saying this to be insulting or condescending in any way, but reading back through my posts do you understand my point at all? You're seemingly missing it entirely.

MORE is expected of more talented guys. If Colmer was taken in the 3rd by us, ALL THINGS CONDISERED, he should be a 2nd round type talent. Maybe even better, considering how his situation was more career threatening than 99% of most players that come out of college with a torn ACL or broken arm. This syndrome is not curable. He cannot rehab it. But when you look at the 2nd rounders like the Roos, Barnes, Sears, Blalock, and the like. Solid 2nd rounders. They outclass Colmer in terms of talent, easily. So that would make him a borderline 2nd/3rd round talent who we took in the 3rd. His SITUATION should have dropped him more than that.

If he had the type of Joesph/Blalock potential, he'd should STILL be drafted a round lower than them because they're able bodied guys, and he might not be. Right? Ie: McNeil.

This is going off my point of LIMITED potential. If he's not on par with guys like that to begin with, why is his potential worth the pick? How do you rationalize that pick in the 1st day if you're not expecting a big time payoff? As I said, huge risk/minimal reward.

Do you get what I'm saying?
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree because I really don't believe any of what you are saying. Colmer was picked in the third round because he was 2nd round talent. Parsonage-Turners disease was not expected to have an impact on his football career but it can have a tendency to reform, in Colmer's case it did which is unfortunate but true.

His condition does not compare to that of a QB who has torn a rotator cuff, or a RB who has shot knees. It is a neurological condition affecting his nervous system and there was a decent chance he could have gone his whole career without an onset. He was chosen in the region he was supposed to be chosen and unfortunately it didn't pay off.

I also don't quite understand why you think his potential was 'limited'. I know that everyones potential is limited, but condition aside, he had the potential to be a more than satisfactory starter in the NFL which demonstrates more than 'limited' potential.

All in all, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:39 AM    (permalink
dbtb135
Rookie

Quote:
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree because I really don't believe any of what you are saying. Colmer was picked in the third round because he was 2nd round talent. Parsonage-Turners disease was not expected to have an impact on his football career but it can have a tendency to reform, in Colmer's case it did which is unfortunate but true.

His condition does not compare to that of a QB who has torn a rotator cuff, or a RB who has shot knees. It is a neurological condition affecting his nervous system and there was a decent chance he could have gone his whole career without an onset. He was chosen in the region he was supposed to be chosen and unfortunately it didn't pay off.

I also don't quite understand why you think his potential was 'limited'. I know that everyones potential is limited, but condition aside, he had the potential to be a more than satisfactory starter in the NFL which demonstrates more than 'limited' potential.

All in all, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Colmer already missed an entire season due to the effects of it. That alone makes him a huge risk. Again, one of the only comparisons to his situation that could be made is McNeil. Remember how much was made out of his situation at the combine and the weeks following? Could you imagine how much McNeil falls if he missed an entire season?

It's not like a regular injury like a blown knee, I agree completely. Guys have come back from a bad knee or knees in Frank Gore's case. Or rotator cuff(s) in Chad Pennington's case. But the risk of Colmer's case is entirely out of the hands of the coaching staff and the training staff. It could have lasting effects that cannot be rehabbed. This is what makes it such a bigger deal than a muscle or bone or ligament injury. It's incurable and already robbed Colmer of a season. That makes it a much bigger risk than your average injury.

Limited potential doesn't mean he couldn't be a starter for us. It doesn't mean he had the talent of a backup. It just means that I don't think he had the type of potential an elite, or even well above average, tackle/guard has. He could have maybe become a decent starter. Like a notch below what True is on pace for. But the fact that he's closer to a Dan Buenning than an Arron Sears says that he's not worth the risk day 1 to a team like us who had lacked youth and picks. Thats just my opinion though.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:04 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Colmer already missed an entire season due to the effects of it. That alone makes him a huge risk. Again, one of the only comparisons to his situation that could be made is McNeil. Remember how much was made out of his situation at the combine and the weeks following? Could you imagine how much McNeil falls if he missed an entire season?

It's not like a regular injury like a blown knee, I agree completely. Guys have come back from a bad knee or knees in Frank Gore's case. Or rotator cuff(s) in Chad Pennington's case. But the risk of Colmer's case is entirely out of the hands of the coaching staff and the training staff. It could have lasting effects that cannot be rehabbed. This is what makes it such a bigger deal than a muscle or bone or ligament injury. It's incurable and already robbed Colmer of a season. That makes it a much bigger risk than your average injury.

Limited potential doesn't mean he couldn't be a starter for us. It doesn't mean he had the talent of a backup. It just means that I don't think he had the type of potential an elite, or even well above average, tackle/guard has. He could have maybe become a decent starter. Like a notch below what True is on pace for. But the fact that he's closer to a Dan Buenning than an Arron Sears says that he's not worth the risk day 1 to a team like us who had lacked youth and picks. Thats just my opinion though.
OK I definitely agree with some of the stuff you are saying now. He was definitely a boom/bust guy, kind of like McNeil like you said. We took a gamble, which we probably couldn't afford to do looking back on things, and it didn't pay off.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:28 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Why the heck would you take a guy who as a rookie not even starting every game was a pro bowl alternate at left tackle, easily the most demanding position on the offensive line, and move him to right tackle, which is a far less important and meaningful position?

----------

Just because I love looking at these things, the following players were available with the 91st pick in 2005: OT Nick Kaczur, RB Marion Barber, RB Brandon Jacobs, OG Jason Brown, OG Todd Herremans, DE Chauncey Davis, and RB Darren Sproles.
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post

Just because I love looking at these things, the following players were available with the 91st pick in 2005: OT Nick Kaczur, RB Marion Barber, RB Brandon Jacobs, OG Jason Brown, OG Todd Herremans, DE Chauncey Davis, and RB Darren Sproles.
Your point?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-09-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Your point?
The team is coming off a 4-12 season and is 27-37 (I think) in the last 4 years. A big reason for that is finding next to no value in the draft after the 1st round. Chris Colmer is one of many who haven't done anything. Knowing what other players were available makes one think if the Bucs drafted Jammal Brown, Lofa Tatupu, and Marion Barber instead of Cadillac Williams, Barrett Ruud, and Chris Colmer, they probably wouldn't have had the #4 pick last April.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
dbtb135
Rookie

Quote:
The team is coming off a 4-12 season and is 27-37 (I think) in the last 4 years. A big reason for that is finding next to no value in the draft after the 1st round. Chris Colmer is one of many who haven't done anything. Knowing what other players were available makes one think if the Bucs drafted Jammal Brown, Lofa Tatupu, and Marion Barber instead of Cadillac Williams, Barrett Ruud, and Chris Colmer, they probably wouldn't have had the #4 pick last April.
But thats not realistic. Thats like saying they'd be better off having taken Marques Colston in round 3 last year. Brown wasn't a top 5 pick in 05. And Tatupu was thought of as a reach when Seattle traded up to take him earlier than anyone expected. Colmer, on the other hand, was a pick that didn't have to be made....
Old 06-10-2007, 08:21 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I understand and agree that we have drafted poorly over the years, especially later in the draft, but none of those players you mentioned earlier were exceptional enough to merit a "what-if" consideration.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

Quote:
But thats not realistic. Thats like saying they'd be better off having taken Marques Colston in round 3 last year. Brown wasn't a top 5 pick in 05. And Tatupu was thought of as a reach when Seattle traded up to take him earlier than anyone expected. Colmer, on the other hand, was a pick that didn't have to be made....

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I understand and agree that we have drafted poorly over the years, especially later in the draft, but none of those players you mentioned earlier were exceptional enough to merit a "what-if" consideration.
You guys take draft theory way too seriously. I understand that on draft day certain players are considered reaches and such. But once everything gets sorted out on the field, that stuff is all thrown out the window. Jamaal Brown may not have been considered a top 5 pick in 2005, but in 2007 aren't pro bowl left tackles considered worthy of top 5 picks? Tatupu was considered a reach, but Seattle showed that they were smarter than everyone else and now he is easily worth that 2nd round pick. Derrick Brooks was the #28 player taken in 1996. Mike Mamula (#7) was considered a much more valuable player. Ten years later, would you fault any team for taking Brooks top 10 or would you excuse them for not "reaching"? I brought up Marion Barber. He was selected over 100 players after Cadillac Williams. In 2 seasons he has a 4.4 YPC compared to Cadillac's 3.8 and 19 TDs to Cadillac's 7, including 2 against the Bucs last Thanksgiving. And all those touchdowns came in 242 fewer attempts. Barber also only has 9 fewer receptions (with 2 TDs) than Cadillac (0 Tds) with considerably less playing time and 7.6 yards per catch compared to Williams' 5.5. Would he not warrant a higher pick now?

Last edited by StaticGator : 06-10-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
dbtb135
Rookie

Quote:
You guys take draft theory way too seriously. I understand that on draft day certain players are considered reaches and such. But once everything gets sorted out on the field, that stuff is all thrown out the window. Jamaal Brown may not have been considered a top 5 pick in 2005, but in 2007 aren't pro bowl left tackles considered worthy of top 5 picks? Tatupu was considered a reach, but Seattle showed that they were smarter than everyone else and now he is easily worth that 2nd round pick. Derrick Brooks was the #28 player taken in 1996. Mike Mamula (#7) was considered a much more valuable player. Ten years later, would you fault any team for taking Brooks top 10 or would you excuse them for not "reaching"? I brought up Marion Barber. He was selected over 100 players after Cadillac Williams. In 2 seasons he has a 4.4 YPC compared to Cadillac's 3.8 and 19 TDs to Cadillac's 7, including 2 against the Bucs last Thanksgiving. And all those touchdowns came in 242 fewer attempts. Barber also only has 9 fewer receptions (with 2 TDs) than Cadillac (0 Tds) with considerably less playing time and 7.6 yards per catch compared to Williams' 5.5. Would he not warrant a higher pick now?
It's not realistic though. You can say "well, looking back if we would have drafted perfectly in 05 we wouldn't be back in the top 5". Well, yeah. Thats pretty easy to say now, given hindsight. It surpasses easy. But taking Jammal Brown top 5 just wasn't a possibility, so how can you fault them for it? I was with you on the players that we very well could have taken instead of risking it with Colmer, but you cannot fault them for not taking a guy who was never considered a top 5 pick. He outplayed his draft position, it happens.

Again you make a point on Brooks/Mamula that is moot. We know Brooks is a HOFer and Mamula is one of the more notorious busts and workout warriors ever. Anyone can look back and say "we should have picked this guy over this guy", even the most casual of sports fans. But it's all about AT THE TIME, knowing who to take. Does that mean every team that passed on Colston 7x over made a huge mistake and should be chastised for it? No, it means the guy worked out better than ANYONE could have expected and the Saints are lucky to have him.

Plus, on the Barber/Caddy front, your stats are misleading. Caddy was a better back in 05, and played last year with as poor an OL and QB I've ever seen. They didn't have the strength of the Dallas OL, or the very solid Dallas passing game. The Cowboys were still a playoff team without Barber last year. Forget Caddy, put Barber behind our line last year with a stacked box on the other side and watch him get hit by two guys in the backfield for a loss, too.

He, and many others, would warrant a higher pick if all teams could predict the future. But alas, they aren't infallible.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

I simply want my GM to make the right decision. I'm arguing for a paradigm in which a GM says "I'm making this pick because I think it's the right pick and I don't care if Mel Kiper has x number of players ranked higher." Your local columnist may rip you but 2-3 years later when Jamaal Brown/Derrick Brooks/Ed Reed or whoever is in the pro bowl, you get the last laugh.

And I understand it's hard to look good with Tampa's offensive line, but remember how much Dallas' line got killed for all the sacks Drew Bledsoe took. As far as the rest of the league goes, that line is pretty average. None of their guys are going to make the pro bowl. But still Barber has 3 times the total touchdowns of Cadillac with more than 200 fewer touches. That's something.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
simms2clayton

After the 2006 and 2007 drafts you have to give Allen and Co. a lot of credit.

Our offensive line is set imo now with Petigout at LT, Sears at LG, and Buenning at C.

We have WR depth with Maurice Stovall who we got in round 3 last year.

Bruce Gradkowsi should be a reliable backup for years to come and was a steal in round 5 or 6 or whatever.

Apparently, Gaines Adams and Greg Peterson are doing great in workouts and could be the DE and UT of the future for us.

Quincy Black looks like the prototypical Cover 2 LB with his strength/speed/instincts/ball skills and I think he is gonna be a very good player in his career.

Not to mention after last year's horrendous season of safety play it looks like we are set at safety for the next 5+ years with Sabby at SS and Tanard Jackson at FS.