Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Most important position in the game?
QB 61 65.59%
RB 4 4.30%
LB 1 1.08%
OT 16 17.20%
Other??? 11 11.83%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
JMiah
Rookie

JMiah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Most important position???

What is the most important position in football???

QB? Can you win the Superbowl without a great one? (Dilfer)

RB? Need the ground game don't you?

WR? How can the QB throw to no names... we Brady did last year...

LB? Anchor of the D?

K? Joking... but Vinny did lead the Pats to some big games... and now he went to the Colts... they did it too...

LT? Can you do anything without a line?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Very arguable. I won't even attempt it.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this could become a very heated thread..... but i voted LB, and here's my reason.

LB's are the key to your defense. They either cover in zone, cover TE's, RB's, have to stuff the run and rush the QB. A good LB corp will steady and anchor your defense. defense wins championships in my eyes. granted, you could make a case for every position, but i feel LB's do the most on D for their team
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

I think it comes down to Quarterback and the O-Line. Its tough to choose. I would say Quarterback, since they are responsible for getting every play going, leading the team, knowing what every player does on every single play, etc. etc.

But without an O-Line...that all means nothing. Can't really have one without the other and hope to win.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Out of those options, definately QB. I'm surpised DE isn't an option.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Of course Adam Vinatieri says hi.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Im going to say qb, since they touch the ball every offensive down, but all of the positions have great points to argue

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say QB, they touch the ball basically every offensive play and are regarded as the leader of the offense, even the team in many cases. They have to not only be able to make the throws and the handoffs but they have to know essentially every players responsibilty on every play.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LT on O unless your QB is left handed then RT on D I would say DT it all starts in the middle on D.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm a bit different than most, but I prefer a monster DT over all. A DT who can stop the rush and the pass makes everything easier for everyone on defense. LB isn't that important in all schemes, the DTs are important in any defensive scheme. If you can't keep guys off your linebackers your rush defense is going to be awful, if you can pressure the qb with a DT, you just send your DEs wide like a c/t-2 and get the sacks. For me, its all about the DT.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
I'm a bit different than most, but I prefer a monster DT over all. A DT who can stop the rush and the pass makes everything easier for everyone on defense. LB isn't that important in all schemes, the DTs are important in any defensive scheme. If you can't keep guys off your linebackers your rush defense is going to be awful, if you can pressure the qb with a DT, you just send your DEs wide like a c/t-2 and get the sacks. For me, its all about the DT.
I agree that DT is a huge position of need for any great D they free up everyone else to do there job.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its very hard to answer, but football is the ultimate team sport. Everyone is counting on each other, If the O-line doesn’t block the QB is eaten dirt, if the O-line is blocking and than the QB has happy feet we have a problem.

You can go either way
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB, it's always gonna be the QB. No other position affects the game so much.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
BigRed
Rookie

BigRed hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

over a season the quaterback, but if came down to that single game, i'd be damned if i didn't want Vinatieri trotting onto the field for me
Old 06-08-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Exactly. Football is not like any sport, in that no one player can do everything, and in order for a play to be successful, everyone has to do their job. A LT dominating doesn't mean jack if the LG is getting beat every play. A dominant DE won't do anything if he can be double or triple teamed because the rest of his line sucks. One dominant CB won't be unstoppable if the other can't cover well. A WR can't catch what isn't there. Only a QB can even come close to doing things on his own. In the NFL, if he can hit even the worst receiver in the hands, it's a catch. If he can evade the rush, his o-line need not be spectacular. Of course, he can't take a team with a crap OL and no WRs to the super bowl, but he can make them appear better than reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Space Ghost
Veteran

Space Ghost hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
A dominant DE won't do anything if he can be double or triple teamed because the rest of his line sucks.
If you are getting double and tripple teamed and your defense can't get past the other couple guys, you don't deserve to be in the NFL, if someone can get me a tripple team consistently I take them over anyone, that gives me a nice 10 v. 8 and hopefully a couple of those 10 have at least an ounce of talent.
Space Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Phrost

LT guards the QB from the DE so I guess DE, but most DEs need inside help from DTs. So DTs? But the C and Gs block the DTs so C/Gs?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
So true. You can afford to have a bad Tackle... or a bad linebacker etc etc.. but not a bad QB.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

id say both sides of the line

QB - having a good/great QB is terrific..but if you dont have a legit run game or pass protection..it wont work.

RB - you can have a great RB but what if hes got no line or no QB/WRs to take the pressure off him?

OL - they give room for run game and pass protection..give any QB a lot of time and he can be good and give an OL a decent RB and he'll get some good yards

DL - Battles start in trenches...if you dont have a good DL, do you really think LBs would be as good? No..they might put up stats but thats not how you should judge a player. No pressure from DL means more time for QBs to stand back and even a great secondary wont be able to stop passing game if they are stuck on an island all day

DBs..they are only as good as the front 7..if front 7 stops run and creates pressure, the secondary should look better.
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:55 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just wanna say something here, granted the great QB beat out the mediocre QB in the super bowl, but the Bears were led by a great D, which was led by two very good LB's in Urlacher and Briggs. I just have a defensive mind set, but on O, no doubt QB.(or OC, depending on how he uses his QB's strenghts and weaknesses)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LT, because that is the most important position on the most important part of a football team.

A good O-line opens holes for the running game, protects and gives the QB time to make plays, allows teams to chew up the clock, and gives their defense time to rest and play all out.

A good football is built in the trenches. Obviously you can also argue your D-line.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:09 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
i just wanna say something here, granted the great QB beat out the mediocre QB in the super bowl, but the Bears were led by a great D, which was led by two very good LB's in Urlacher and Briggs. I just have a defensive mind set, but on O, no doubt QB.(or OC, depending on how he uses his QB's strenghts and weaknesses)
A defense also has 11 people. An OL has 5 people. QB is only 1.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB, absolutely no question.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Eagles own the NFC East
Veteran

Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
QB, absolutely no question.
yup (10 characters)
Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Don't know about most important but least important is safety.
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote