Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Most important position in the game?
QB 61 65.59%
RB 4 4.30%
LB 1 1.08%
OT 16 17.20%
Other??? 11 11.83%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Coaching.(10)
Old 06-09-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
My most important is RB because with a solid running game it will force the defense to respect the run which will help the QB. Jake Plummer would have been just average without the amazing running game in Denver. Big Ben might not be anything great but maybe he had a down year but no doubt the running game helped him out.
RB isn't as important to the running game as a good passing attack or a good run-blocking o-line.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well I'd rather have a QB than 1 OL, but a great OL can make average QBs and RBs good IMO.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

im saying QB just to the fact the control they play everytime the ball is snapped... they make an error and throw and interception your team is at a dis advantage... as long as your QB doesnt make errors it is easier to win games... although O-line could be argued and im a very strong beliveer you need both to win... QB won out by a slight margin

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I vote Safety. Look at the Colt's defense without Bob Sanders, and then when he came back, what'd he do?
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Because they dominated with an 11 player defense and had a very good ground game, which is 6+ people. Those are groups. Yes games are won in the trenches, but thats 4/5 people, a QB is one player. No ONE player has the effect that the QB does.
1 player..its QB. a position..its OL/DL

Patriots build around the lines..specifically DL. All 3 of the starters are first round picks and explains why our D is as good as it is
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thing is you can make RBs look good with a great O-line. Even if you have a great O-line you still need a great QB.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
I vote Safety. Look at the Colt's defense without Bob Sanders, and then when he came back, what'd he do?
He didn't help that much because he was a safety. He helped that much because hes a good player. A good player coming back to a below average defense is going to help at any position.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Not as much as he did imo. I think that it takes a team to win, but I think QBs get entirely too much credit, and too much blame. No one can do it alone, but I think on defense, a Safety, a last line of defense, can keep players out of the endzone a lot of times, keeping big plays from happening, and allowing a below average corner to look like a pro bowler, if he's good enough.

There really is no correct answer to this question.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not as much as he did imo. I think that it takes a team to win, but I think QBs get entirely too much credit, and too much blame. No one can do it alone, but I think on defense, a Safety, a last line of defense, can keep players out of the endzone a lot of times, keeping big plays from happening, and allowing a below average corner to look like a pro bowler, if he's good enough.

Yeah there is and it is QB. Obviously some of you have never played the position so you have no idea. You have to know what everyone on the offense is doing, you have to breakdown the defense when you're at the line, and then you have to make quick decisions and everything hinges on what you do.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread should be called "most important position (other than QB)". If you have a great QB you are automatically a good offense, usually a good team. That can't be said about any other position.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Right. There's not necessarily a correct answer because this is based on opinion. Nevertheless, people who say anything other than QB don't appear to know much about football. I think it's pretty obvious that it is the single most important position on the field. Hell, you can line up on defense without a Free Safety if you want. You said it yourself, it's the last line of defense. Other than the Center, there is only one player that touches the ball on every* play. Without a QB, you have zero passing game. You can take away any other position, and you still have something there. Take away a single corner, you still have a pass defense. Take away a RB, you can still run the ball with a FB, WR, TE or QB. Take away an OL, you still have blockers. Take away a DL, you still have pass rushers. Pretty much take away any player, and you're just running a different scheme. The QB is easily the most important player on the field.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
This thread should be called "most important position (other than QB)". If you have a great QB you are automatically a good offense, usually a good team. That can't be said about any other position.
I disagree. You can be the greatest QB in the world, but without protection, or guys to catch the ball, your greatness will never shine through on the field. Every player on the field is relying on his teammates to one degree or another in order to help themselves do their job correctly. Perhaps none more so than the QB.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
DuckHunt
Rookie

DuckHunt is a cocksman.DuckHunt is a cocksman.DuckHunt is a cocksman.DuckHunt is a cocksman.DuckHunt is a cocksman.

Quarterback. You can have every position covered (Chicago) and if you have Grossman at QB you just aren't going to win the big game. QB is the most important position on the field.

Also Center, without the Center, the QB doesn't get the ball :)
DuckHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodar21 View Post
Don't know about most important but least important is safety.
idk its pretty proven that you need quality safeties to win super bowls, Sanders, Harrison, Polamalu, Milloy, D. Jackson, Woodson

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 AM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
The Colts defenders played really badly at the end of the season. They didn't tackle at all, in the Jags game they'd get 4 cracks at Drew and he'd still score on a long run. In the playoffs they ran fast and tackled well. They just brought it.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
LarryJohnson27
Rookie

LarryJohnson27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It seems like some are comparing the importance of an entire OL to QB, but that's not the question. The question is LT vs. QB, and I don't see how anyone can say LT.

Last edited by LarryJohnson27 : 06-10-2007 at 11:46 AM.
LarryJohnson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:47 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckHunt View Post
Quarterback. You can have every position covered (Chicago) and if you have Grossman at QB you just aren't going to win the big game. QB is the most important position on the field.

Also Center, without the Center, the QB doesn't get the ball :)
And Grossman wasn't the reason we lost the SB, he was a factor but he wasn't the reason.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
And Grossman wasn't the reason we lost the SB, he was a factor but he wasn't the reason.
Well, switch teams of Peyton Manning and Rexy Sexy for that game. Who do you think would win?
Old 06-10-2007, 01:55 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiah View Post
What is the most important position in football???

QB? Can you win the Superbowl without a great one? (Dilfer)

RB? Need the ground game don't you?

WR? How can the QB throw to no names... we Brady did last year...

LB? Anchor of the D?

K? Joking... but Vinny did lead the Pats to some big games... and now he went to the Colts... they did it too...

LT? Can you do anything without a line?
22 starters. 2 key special teams players and various positions of depth (#3 WR, #2 RB, NCB, situational rusher, returners, etc.)

Football, more than any other sport is a team effort. It is in football that all 11 players on the field have results that are directly affected by the other players. There is absolutely no way that any one position can be considered the most important.

All you need to see this truth is in the various building philosophies--some build from a strong line on both sides, some build with skill positions, some try to build just with a running game, some try to build with a great secondary, some try to build with a great defense, some build off an amazing passing attack.

And guess what, you see every one of those work and fail with every variance of success.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:47 AM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what do people remember about most superbowl winning teams? the qb, people judge a qb on if they win rings or not so doesnt think kinda mean they dictate the success of a team the most of any position. sure tackle is important and i can apprecaite the importance of a great line but they arent the guys who are single handedly blamed for losses. not sure if any of that made sense but surely u get my drift
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 AM    (permalink
7-11
Veteran

7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.7-11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
I disagree. You can be the greatest QB in the world, but without protection, or guys to catch the ball, your greatness will never shine through on the field. Every player on the field is relying on his teammates to one degree or another in order to help themselves do their job correctly. Perhaps none more so than the QB.
yeah but all other positions rely on the qb playing well, if a qb stinks then every other position is goin to look very dodgy. backs wont get yards with 8 guys in the box, line wont look great when the qb is holdin onto the ball and gettin hit every 3 snaps and the receivers dont look too special when they cant get the ball. its kinda a catch 22 and very hard to analyse
7-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:21 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
QB, it's always gonna be the QB. No other position affects the game so much.
I completely disagree.

The QB does nothing without anyone else.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Every position needs another to succeed. Football is the biggest team sport, but no one position has the effect that the QB does.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
LitoSheppard
Veteran

LitoSheppard needs more cowbell.

The line, that is were every game is won, If you have a great offensive line you will have sucsess no matter what..

^ bantx
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROY_FROM_YONDER View Post
**** this forum it will never ever been good cause its memebers eat doo doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I just left him negative rep saying "I don't eat doo doo".
LitoSheppard is offline   Reply With Quote