Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-09-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
ONUV
Rookie

ONUV needs more cowbell.
Default College Players Should be Paid

The disparity between what the scholarships are worth and the amount of money that these student athletes bring to their universities is appalling. These students are taking the time that most students work part time at near minimum wage and laying it all on the line for their university varsity team. Everyone agrees that most universities have been less than stellar at graduating high profile student athletes. Why not tie the two together to achieve a common goal?

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/007012.php
ONUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:12 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

no they're getting a great education.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
gbpackers0065
Pro Bowler

gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.

What about the Valedictorian who gos on to be rich and donates back to the school? Should he be payed?
Old 06-09-2007, 02:18 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmmm, this is tempting. Ok I give in: (although these will be brief and blunt)

1) Already have full ride schollies (free education)

2) Trickle down effect to High School

3) Greed

4) Professionalizing College Sports

5) Damaging a great tradition of sporting

6) Paying all those who bring in money for the University

Off the top of my head those are my points against paying college athletes, and if you want me to expand on them I will but their pretty self explanatory.

I don't mind monthly stipends so they can get their necessities but I am strongly opposed to paying college athletes, and I have first hand experience on this topic because I play college sports.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpackers0065 View Post
What about the Valedictorian who gos on to be rich and donates back to the school? Should he be payed?
What about the first chair violin player who works hard at her hobby/activity? He/She brings in money for the university through concerts. If you pay athletes you have to start paying drama members, band members, orchestra members, etc...It's not fair if you don't.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They are getting paid: it's called a FREE education

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I go back and forth on this topic. Yea they get a ton of $ for FREE education, that amount up to the 5 digit sums for all the years. But say a player grew up in poverty and his parents cant afford to send him $ to buy tooth paste and things like that. I think there should be a special program that a athlete w/ a scholarship can apply for "needs money" Which they get the money to buy toothpaste and so on. But the kids who grew up in a gated community and there parents have 6 BMWs dont get that $.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
gbpackers0065
Pro Bowler

gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
What about the first chair violin player who works hard at her hobby/activity? He/She brings in money for the university through concerts. If you pay athletes you have to start paying drama members, band members, orchestra members, etc...It's not fair if you don't.
Exactly, why should only athletes get paid when there are students who work just as hard (if not harder) than the athlete does.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I go back and forth on this topic. Yea they get a ton of $ for FREE education, that amount up to the 5 digit sums for all the years. But say a player grew up in poverty and his parents cant afford to send him $ to buy tooth paste and things like that. I think there should be a special program that a athlete w/ a scholarship can apply for "needs money" Which they get the money to buy toothpaste and so on. But the kids who grew up in a gated community and there parents have 6 BMWs dont get that $.
And they do get stipends for things they need, but I think they should raise it a bit from where it is. I just don't like the salary idea at all.

Quote:
Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
ONUV
Rookie

ONUV needs more cowbell.

you think the degrees they're getting are really "great" educations? the coaches want them to do as little as possible in the classroom.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default they shouldn't be paid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONUV View Post
you think the degrees they're getting are really "great" educations? the coaches want them to do as little as possible in the classroom.
The VAST majority of college athletes will never play professional sports. If I were them I would be spending a lot of time studying/in the classroom. Between the free education/room/board and the connections they make with alumni/other important people from being on the team the universities give student athletes all the tools to succeed in the real world...

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
gbpackers0065
Pro Bowler

Quote:
your an idiot there are plenty of division I, II , and III athletes who value school over athletics
Old 06-09-2007, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The fact is, they get a lot of extra money. As I've said before, this past summer I was an RA for some of the incoming freshman football players. They got money for books that was ridiculously high, upwards of $500. It was a flat payment on their BuckID for books, but about $300 more than I've ever spent in a quarter on books, and when the guys take classes like "Hip-Hop Dance," etc, they aren't even using that money. One guy ended up buying shoes with most of his money. So, there are ways they are getting some extra cash for the essentials. They get free food, free room, and past that, many things are doable with this cash.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going to college is a priveledge, not a right.

No, they shouldn't be paid.

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:36 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I go back and forth on this issue too. They bring in a LOT of money to the school, and my roommates would leave for class at 9 am and not get home until 6-7 pm. It is a full time job at a D1 school.

Without a doubt they need to increase the stipend they get.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
I go back and forth on this issue too. They bring in a LOT of money to the school, and my roommates would leave for class at 9 am and not get home until 6-7 pm. It is a full time job at a D1 school.

And that's fine, but giving them a salary, aka a cut of the profit I don't agree with.

Quote:
Old 06-09-2007, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

They can be paid...that's fine. Of course then they'd have to pay to go to school (and if you don't sign up for at least 15 credits..you get dropped from the team).

Then they can be paid based on production...so the 2nd string QB who was going to be redshirted...now has to either learn how to play an additional position or there's no way he's going to sit the bench for 1/3 the salary (example) as say the starter.

...see where this is going ?

It's not broke, so don't attempt to "fix" it..
Plus with insurance companies almost falling overthemselves to insure these kids against major injury...this was a non point years ago.

...how about our next debate be over the wheel...or fire and whether or not it benefits society.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

First off....there is no law that says these kids MUST play football.
If they're there for the education then perhaps they should all be "forced"
to pay back the cost of their "free" education...then they could be charged for use of the teams facilities...lights, heat, cleaning supplies and services..ect ect ect.

Trust me..they get paid they just don't recieve their payments in the form of a check.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No no no. There is already not enough incentive for athletes to focus on education in HS and college, this would just make it worse.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
The disparity between what the scholarships are worth and the amount of money that these student athletes bring to their universities is appalling. These students are taking the time that most students work part time at near minimum wage and laying it all on the line for their university varsity team. Everyone agrees that most universities have been less than stellar at graduating high profile student athletes. Why not tie the two together to achieve a common goal?

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/007012.php
Scholarship = payment. "We give you a free education for playing for our football team." Paying college players to play football will never happen.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
to pay back the cost of their "free" education...then they could be charged for use of the teams facilities...lights, heat, cleaning supplies and services..ect ect ect.

Trust me..they get paid they just don't recieve their payments in the form of a check.
Very true. It is fair to say that almost every single major college football program has alumni/boosters that give these guys sweet summer jobs and maybe drop some coin in their mailbox every now and then.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

Masterbation should be an official sport, but you dont see them bitchin
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post

Trust me, what they get paid is not enough for what they do. I roomed with 4 UTEP players this past year, 2 have had knee surgery(one of them twice), and one is well on his way to needing it. Tell me what the violinist has to worry about that will affect his/her life after football? I understand not wanting to give them a salary, but a larger stipend would sure help them out.

Like I said they are gone 9am-6pm with very little breaks in between. Having class, then they go eat, then lift, then meetings, then practice, then the linemen had some more meetings. They get a small stipend now, but they need to give them a larger one.

Or how about give all athletes at each division the same amount, regardless of the sport or production. I haven't been an athlete yet(NEXT YEAR!!) and I haven't taken more than 12 hours a semester. That is considered a full time student, so the athletes shouldn't have to take any more than that, which, SUPRISE!!! is the rule. Leinhart was an exception, because he had already graduated, so he didn't have other classes to take.

Everyone is up in arms about Oden's schedule, but every one of his classes are required classes. It looked an awful lot like my schedule my freshman year.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Trust me, what they get paid is not enough for what they do. I roomed with 4 UTEP players this past year, 2 have had knee surgery(one of them twice), and one is well on his way to needing it. Tell me what the violinist has to worry about that will affect his/her life after football? I understand not wanting to give them a salary, but a larger stipend would sure help them out.

Like I said they are gone 9am-6pm with very little breaks in between. Having class, then they go eat, then lift, then meetings, then practice, then the linemen had some more meetings. They get a small stipend now, but they need to give them a larger one.

Or how about give all athletes at each division the same amount, regardless of the sport or production. I haven't been an athlete yet(NEXT YEAR!!) and I haven't taken more than 12 hours a semester. That is considered a full time student, so the athletes shouldn't have to take any more than that, which, SUPRISE!!! is the rule. Leinhart was an exception, because he had already graduated, so he didn't have other classes to take.

Everyone is up in arms about Oden's schedule, but every one of his classes are required classes. It looked an awful lot like my schedule my freshman year.
My roommate is in Athletic Training. He puts in the same, if not more hours then the football players do. He gets there before they are there and leaves after they do a majority of the time as well as taking 15-18 hours of courses. ALL of the trainers have to do this so while they are paying to go to school and having to do all of this UNPAID why are they not giving money?

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
My roommate is in Athletic Training. He puts in the same, if not more hours then the football players do. He gets there before they are there and leaves after they do a majority of the time as well as taking 15-18 hours of courses. ALL of the trainers have to do this so while they are paying to go to school and having to do all of this UNPAID why are they not giving money?
Good question. I think they should be too. But they also don't have to worry about life changing injuries.