Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Testing Neo's Theory
Peyton Manning 24 15.29%
Joe Montana 63 40.13%
John Elway 51 32.48%
Johnny U 19 12.10%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
Unitas, he changed the way quarterback was played and was arguably the toughest quarterback of all-time. If you look at his numbers then and compare them to now they aren't that impress but he retired holding almost every record for a quarterback. He finished in the top ten for completions ten times, yards ten times, and touchdowns five times. The first quarterback ever to throw for 40,000 despite playing in twelve and fourteen game seasons. The record of 47 straight games with a touchdown pass will never be broken. He's the greatest of all-time in my eyes.
This is the explanation I that I couldn't think of.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncs2bowl View Post
Unitas was beast but I would still take Elway over him because he had a much better career. Unitas rly should not be in this conversation IMO. He should be replaced with Marino on the poll
Somebody hold me back or I'm going to get another infraction...
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Somebody hold me back or I'm going to get another infraction...
LOL. Tear into him if you want, it's where this thread would inevitably go. just don't make anybody cry. People will always have difference in opinion, they just got to back it up.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Phrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
LOL. Tear into him if you want, it's where this thread would inevitably go. just don't make anybody cry. People will always have difference in opinion, they just got to back it up.
Agreeed. BTW, your sig is mesmerizing. The blue lighting is amazing.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncs2bowl View Post
No I know about how great Johnny U was and all his accomplichments. But he is not a top 3-4 QB of all time. He is top 10 definatly but the best or even top 4 I dont think so. The only Qbs that can be mentioned as best ever and actually have a good argument are Elway, Montana, Marino(yet not having a ring always gets him thrown out), and Manning

Edit: here is a poll where people rank the top QBs ever and Unitas is at #7
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...tranker?id=662 (just do the rankings and submit it to see the final results of the whole poll)
And the voters at ESPN said GB should take a WR.
I dont see how cant even say hes top 2

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Chief49er
Rookie

Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.

In all honesty, I would want Steve Young.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief49er View Post
Hmmm. I wonder why.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief49er View Post
Wonderful but those are the only four options. It relates to a post Neo made saying Manning was by far the greatest quarterback ever and Elway, Montana, and Unitas couldn't even hold his jockstrap.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:11 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Elway baby

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:12 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Of those in the poll, I'll go with Elway. Elway had freak athletic ability. His arm may well have been the strongest ever in the NFL (Russell not withstanding) and he could move in the pocket.

He single handedly took the Broncos to the Super Bowl a few times when they otherwise would've been mediocre at best.

All things considered, I think Dan Marino's the best ever, but Elway is really really close for me.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Joe Montana
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sporting New's Top 10 (They made a top 50 Greatest QB's Magazine once)
1-Johnny U
2-Montana
3-Otto Graham (3Time MVP)
4-John Elway
5-Sammy Baugh (Threw 25 TD's, huge for his day)
6-Dan Marino
7-Brett Favre
8-Terry Bradshaw
9-Roger Staubach
10-Bart Starr

Old 06-10-2007, 12:46 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you don't choose Joe Cool, you are on crack.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sad that Unitas isn't running away with this. I guess it's a reflection of who people here have seen play though, which is why Elway is slightly edging Montana. Give Manning 5 more years, and he'll be close to every single passing record, and for those to whom it matters, he has a championship. With his current numbers, Manning is already in the "team photo" for best QB ever, and that's after only 9 years in the NFL, which is pretty impressive to me. That said, I don't think anyone can surpass Johnny U.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:55 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Sporting New's Top 10 (They made a top 50 Greatest QB's Magazine once)
1-Johnny U
2-Montana
3-Otto Graham (3Time MVP)
4-John Elway
5-Sammy Baugh (Threw 25 TD's, huge for his day)
6-Dan Marino
7-Brett Favre
8-Terry Bradshaw
9-Roger Staubach
10-Bart Starr
Bradshaw 8th? WOW. Bradshaw is basically the proof that Peyton Manning is not a product of his surrounding talent, and it's a disgarce that he's a HOFer.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:56 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Montana & Brady over Manning for active players

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:24 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Sad that Unitas isn't running away with this. I guess it's a reflection of who people here have seen play though, which is why Elway is slightly edging Montana. Give Manning 5 more years, and he'll be close to every single passing record, and for those to whom it matters, he has a championship. With his current numbers, Manning is already in the "team photo" for best QB ever, and that's after only 9 years in the NFL, which is pretty impressive to me. That said, I don't think anyone can surpass Johnny U.
It's unfair to both Unitas and the players of this generation to compare them to each other. They don't even play the same game. Yeah, it's football, but the game has evolved to the point that it is completely different than it was in Unitas's era. It can be fun to compare players from different eras for arguments sake, but in reality there is really no way to definitively say a guy like Unitas was any better than Montana or Marino. Or even Drew Bledsoe, for that matter. I'd imagine that a guy like Carson Palmer would be completely unstoppable if he had played in the '60s. But that's just my imagination. In the realm of reality, there's really no basis for a meaningful comparison.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:36 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
If you don't choose Joe Cool, you are on crack.
:o and what if I do both :o

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its Elway for me, dude was gifted. Maning did not deserve the MVP, Rhodes or Addai or someone on defense did.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

How the **** is Unitas only one vote ahead of Manning? You people really need to learn your football history.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
broncs2bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Bradshaw 8th? WOW. Bradshaw is basically the proof that Peyton Manning is not a product of his surrounding talent, and it's a disgarce that he's a HOFer.
Bradshaw deserves at least top ten. HE WON 4! SUPERBOWLS! Lets see if Manning can ever get close to that
Old 06-10-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
How the **** is Unitas only one vote ahead of Manning? You people really need to learn your football history.
Reading about what a player did isn't nearly as effective as it would have been to watch him live for years.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
It's unfair to both Unitas and the players of this generation to compare them to each other. They don't even play the same game. Yeah, it's football, but the game has evolved to the point that it is completely different than it was in Unitas's era. It can be fun to compare players from different eras for arguments sake, but in reality there is really no way to definitively say a guy like Unitas was any better than Montana or Marino. Or even Drew Bledsoe, for that matter. I'd imagine that a guy like Carson Palmer would be completely unstoppable if he had played in the '60s. But that's just my imagination. In the realm of reality, there's really no basis for a meaningful comparison.
Great point
An old friend of mine (And I mean he's old, he actually met Johnny U) believes the same thing

Old 06-10-2007, 01:49 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
:o and what if I do both :o
Then you're ok by me.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Chief49er
Rookie

Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Wonderful but those are the only four options. It relates to a post Neo made saying Manning was by far the greatest quarterback ever and Elway, Montana, and Unitas couldn't even hold his jockstrap.
Well thats pretty insane, Manning is a great QB and will go down as one of the top 5. But when you start tring to really compare and argue who is better its an endless fight. To claim they (Elway, Montana and Unitas) can't hold his jockstrap is reaching a point of gayness in its own right, it seems maybe he justs needs some reason to think of Manning's jockstrap.