Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Literature Thread

This is a thread to discuss novels, plays, poems, etc. Not sure if anyone here really likes good literature, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Anyway, I just got done reading 1984 for the first time. It was very, very good. I liked it a lot, though the end really surprised me. I'm now reading Travels with Charlie by John Steiback. I really like it, as well. It's not one of his most popular books, has anyone read it before?

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:55 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Animal Farm was pretty good when we read it in school. Lord of the Flies wasnt bad either. Some real good books though (if you're into Fantasy/Adventure): Pendragon, Farsala Trilogy, Abhorsen Trilogy, Inheritance Trilogy, and anything by Diane Wynne Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:07 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm reading Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

I'm currently reading Principle of Economics (Third Canadian Edition) by Mankiw, Kneebone, McKenzie, and Rowe. It sucks. :(
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
wiscbadgerfootball
Pro Bowler

wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm reading The Bureau and The Mole- it's about the FBI Double Agent Robert Hanssen

sig by me.. first in ages, pm with requests
wiscbadgerfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some of my favorites:

- Anything by Nelson DeMille

- "Key Witness" by Freedman

- "Absolute Power" by David Baldacci....the movie was good too.

- Most Alexandre Dumas books.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cliche now since all the emo kids got to it, but "Catcher in the Rye" is honestly one of favorite books.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone ever read "Make me wanna holler" or "Native son"

I have those two books in my possesion (recommended by others). Havent read them yet but def plan to soon.

i actually am writting a novel right now (been working on it the past 3 years), so much of my "literary" time is spend on that instead of reading others works

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My favourite book of all-time is 1984 by Orwell...

Right now I'm reading 'the Plot Against America' by Phillip Roth.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adschofield View Post
I'm reading Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
I plan on reading that pretty soon. Steinbeck's on of my favorites already and all I've read is Of Mice and Men and some of Travels with Charlie. As for Catcher in the Rye, I definaetly have that one on my to-do list. As far as some good books I've read, Of Mice and Men is my favorite book. It's got several good themes and It just says alot about human nature and tendencies of life. The title comes from the poem "To a Mouse" by Robert Burns that I reccomend, but read the translated one. The Scotish one is very hard to read. The Giver is a very elementary utopian novel, but still very good. It says alot about conformity. Fahrenheit 451 is very good. I'll explain more later. I have to go.

BoneKrusher
Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

OK, I've got more time. Fahrenheit 451 is a bit hard to explain and it makes you think about the ideas that literature implants in us, but it's very good. I highly reccommed it. 1984 is very, very good. Surprising end, and it makes you think, a liot like F451. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe is very good and it deals a lot with colonialism and adjusting to surroundings. A Tale of Two Cities is incredible. One of my favorite novels. It's a long read, but the imagery and the plotline are just incredible. Brave New World is a lot like F451 and 1984. It's another utopia novel, but it deals a lot more with the ideals of being truly happy, and I've actually written a little something based on those ideas experssed within the novel. Animal Farm is a very good historical novel that helps break down how Italy and the USSR became such communisty nations. If anyone has any reccomendations, I'd love to hear them.

BoneKrusher
Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by -black View Post
anyone ever read "Make me wanna holler" or "Native son"

I have those two books in my possesion (recommended by others). Havent read them yet but def plan to soon.

i actually am writting a novel right now (been working on it the past 3 years), so much of my "literary" time is spend on that instead of reading others works
Really? Tell us about it. What's it about?

BoneKrusher
Old 06-11-2007, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've read some medical suspense novels by Robin Cook. They were pretty good.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any books by Orson Scott Card are great. Start out with "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow". Also, I like the Harry Potter books lol. Those things capture my attention and I can't stop reading them. It pisses me off that the movies are so childish and the names of the books are g.ay. But they really are good books.

Lord of the Flies is my all-time favorite book btw, if you haven't read it, you have to now.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

I like the Harry Potter books a lot, as well. They're very entertaining, and they really do capture your attention. Very fun books. Lord of the Flies is on my to-do list, by the way.

BoneKrusher
Old 06-11-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
Really? Tell us about it. What's it about?
ehh, when i started it i was 15, so it was kind of a teenage light- reading romance drama type. It has grown over the past three years more into a young adult semi autobiographal depiction of my life (and a few others I have known or come in contact with have inspried the plots). Deals with urban violence, deception, love, jealousy, drugs, death, coming to grips with reality, insecurity and saying goodbye (trust, they all tie together lol)

Named it "Two Players At Different Games" because of the infidelity and cheating habbits of the main character.

havent wrote in a month though, i'm in a major block

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm getting ready to start reading "Kingdom Come" the 13th book in the Left Behind series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
I've read some medical suspense novels by Robin Cook. They were pretty good.
OOoooohh mutation was very very good. the only required book i ever liked in high school.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
I plan on reading that pretty soon. Steinbeck's on of my favorites already and all I've read is Of Mice and Men and some of Travels with Charlie. As for Catcher in the Rye, I definaetly have that one on my to-do list. As far as some good books I've read, Of Mice and Men is my favorite book. It's got several good themes and It just says alot about human nature and tendencies of life. The title comes from the poem "To a Mouse" by Robert Burns that I reccomend, but read the translated one. The Scotish one is very hard to read. The Giver is a very elementary utopian novel, but still very good. It says alot about conformity. Fahrenheit 451 is very good. I'll explain more later. I have to go.
Of Mice and Men and The Giver are my #1 and #2 favorite books. I also really enjoyed the Iliad and the Odyssey.
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some of my fav authors these days are John Grisham, Dean Koonts, and James patterson, as well as the Harry potter series, but my all time favorite books are The Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies...!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:04 PM    (permalink
wiscbadgerfootball
Pro Bowler

wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
Any books by Orson Scott Card are great. Start out with "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow". Also, I like the Harry Potter books lol. Those things capture my attention and I can't stop reading them. It pisses me off that the movies are so childish and the names of the books are g.ay. But they really are good books.

Lord of the Flies is my all-time favorite book btw, if you haven't read it, you have to now.
yeah Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are outstanding.. can't say I'm a huge fan of Lord of the Flies though

sig by me.. first in ages, pm with requests
wiscbadgerfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

My school gave me a pretty long summer reading list:

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (for AP Lit)

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (for AP Lit)

Hardball by Chris Matthews (for AP Gov)

Night by Elie Wiesel (for religion)

It's Greek to Me by Michael Marcone (for Latin)

Looking forward to the first two, don't know what to expect from Hardball (anyone here read it?), already read Night, and have no idea about the last one.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a bigger fan of Poetry then I am of Novels. Some of my favorites and recommendations:

Taylor Mali - The Impotence of Spellchecking
Miguel Pinero - Seekin the Cause
Bob Holman - Harry Potter Pokemon
Beau Sia - Open letter to the Entertainment...
Celena Glenn - I Nail my Palms

More contemporary and spoken word poets, but they are very good.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
SouthernPride396
Rookie

SouthernPride396 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm reading The Invisible Man - Ralph Emerson a the moment. It's an excellent book about stereotyping and race. even though it was written immediately post-WWII, it's amazingly relevant to today's society.

My personal favorites I've read are: The Grapes of Wrath (literary style masterpiece) and Slaughterhouse V (kurt Vonnegut). Lord of the Flies is pretty good, but in no way is it on par with several others.

I hope to read 1984, The Catcher in the Rye or The Perks of Being a Wallflower by the end of summer. I've got 7 days riding in somebody's car, so i should be able to knock out at leat 2.

Sig by DChess
SouthernPride396 is offline   Reply With Quote