Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
I completely agree...it is unbelievable how people think he can be seen as a role model or hero when he is so ******* stupid
The sad part is how idolized he is by people. There was a freaking bridge like a mile down river from where he was unable to cross! Simple exploration would have allowed him to see it!

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorlax1 View Post
Watch Into the Wild. No need to read On The Road. Save hours.

That is one of the most asinine things I have ever read. Into the Wild and On the Road aren't comparable. Yes, both deal with being on the road, but after that their similarities end. That's like saying don't bother reading The Sun also Rises watch Eurotrip instead.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
That's like saying don't bother reading The Sun also Rises watch Eurotrip instead.
1920's Americans, people who graduated HS when I did... same difference ;)

Old 09-01-2009, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
The sad part is how idolized he is by people. There was a freaking bridge like a mile down river from where he was unable to cross! Simple exploration would have allowed him to see it!
There are so many ******* things he did wrong...it was so frustrating to read/watch
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 AM    (permalink
Snorlax1
Rookie

Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1) that movie sucks
2) Christopher McCandless was an idiot
3) On the Road is way better than Into the Wild.
1) Movie could of been better, but best movie that year.
2) Haven't read On The Road.
3) Just a question because i hear him called stupid a lot, but would you consider people that climb Mount Everest and die stupid?

Yeah he could of taken better precautions, but from my readings it sounds as if he could of made it out if he didn't eat the wrong berries. The wrong type preserving meat and not taking a map was dumb, but to say he was stupid eh. I think you guys value you life in different ways and my thoughts align on his half, so I enjoyed the movie and his adventure.

Just my thoughts. Getting off topic though. I wouldn't suggest you read DFW I just suggested because he committed suicide, so you would probably hate him too.

Edit: I am pretty sure there was no bridge, although I could of been wrong. A supply shack for hunters I remember hearing about though.
Snorlax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
3) Just a question because i hear him called stupid a lot, but would you consider people that climb Mount Everest and die stupid?

Yeah he could of taken better precautions, but from my readings it sounds as if he could of made it out if he didn't eat the wrong berries. The wrong type preserving meat and not taking a map was dumb, but to say he was stupid eh. I think you guys value you life in different ways and my thoughts align on his half, so I enjoyed the movie and his adventure.

Just my thoughts. Getting off topic though. I wouldn't suggest you read DFW I just suggested because he committed suicide, so you would probably hate him too.
We can agree to disagree about the movie, but no I don't consider people who climb Everest stupid. McCandless didn't know **** about surviving in the Alaskan wild; he was unprepared, unexperienced and under-equipped. People who climb Everest are well-funded and far more prepared for what they are getting into that McCandless ever was.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Edit: I am pretty sure there was no bridge, although I could of been wrong. A supply shack for hunters I remember hearing about though.
1) No Country for Old Men was much better, Anton Chigar was one of the best villains in film history.
2) Great book, do it.
3) If they were completely and utterly unprepared, then yes I would. If it was their first attempt to climb a mountain(like it was McCandless' first attempt to survive in a subarctic enviroment)
There were multiple ways he could have saved himself. There were three different cabins within 5 miles, all located on maps of the area. Less than 10 miles away there was a road for rangers to get into the backcountry, again on a maps. A mile up river there was an old hand powered tram that would have gotten him to safety, again on the maps. Then only a couple miles either up or downstream there were places where he would have easily been able to ford.

The seed he ate that supposedly killed him? Not poisonous, the author of the book made that up. I have a very good friend who lives in Alaska, and one of her friends has actually spent time at the bus. Both of them have ate the plant that supposedly killed him. It was just a blatant falsehood. He died of starvation, one theory is that he hurt his arm(dislocated) which if you look at that iconic picture of him is entirely feasible, it looks like he is favoring his right shoulder, but that may just be the angle.

He was unprepared and took no precautions in order to help his chance of survival. He didn't even learn how to properly preserve meat in the Alaskan bush.

If anyone on this site can identify with Chris McCandless, it is me. I spent the summer hitchhiking around the country, and I completely understand the need for adventure and freedom. But there is a difference between dangerous(which I wholeheartedly endorse) and stupid. McCandless was stupid for the reasons I outlined above.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:49 AM    (permalink
Snorlax1
Rookie

Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Snorlax1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We can agree to disagree about the movie, but no I don't consider people who climb Everest stupid. McCandless didn't know **** about surviving in the Alaskan wild; he was unprepared, inexperienced and under-equipped. People who climb Everest are well-funded and far more prepared for what they are getting into that McCandless ever was.
It was his test to do this without proper maps or preparation. Yeah I don't think he went about everything the way I would, but I feel that he took the precautions that he felt were necessary to fulfill his life expectations. It was his life. He believed in Primo Levi ,who committed suicide btw,"And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing blind, deaf stone alone, with nothing to help you but your own hands and your own head."

Just wondering what are your thoughts on some other things and then ill leave this be.

Free climber Dan Osman? Stupid?
Tight rope walker between the Twin Towers Philippe Petit? Stupid?
Suicide? Selfish?

Last edited by Snorlax1 : 09-01-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It was his test to do this without proper maps or preparation. Yeah I don't think he went about everything the way I would, but I feel that he took the precautions that he felt were necessary to fulfill his life expectations. It was his life. He believed in Primo Levi ,who committed suicide btw,"And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing blind, deaf stone alone, with nothing to help you but your own hands and your own head."

Just wondering what are your thoughts on some other things and then ill leave this be.

Tight rope walker Philippe Petit? Stupid?
Suicide? Selfish?
He wanted to live like people used to, but people used to be taught how to live like that, by their parents and other elders. McCandless had no training, either formal or informal.

Dan Osman-If he tried to learn climbing by free climbing, then yes he would be stupid. But he learned with ropes and belays.

Philippe Petit if his first attempt and a tight rope was at a height where he could die, than yes he would be stupid.

Suicide is borne out of mental illness, no sane person commits suicide.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
It was his test to do this without proper maps or preparation. Yeah I don't think he went about everything the way I would, but I feel that he took the precautions that he felt were necessary to fulfill his life expectations. It was his life.
He didnt have any map that detailed the area, he didnt have proper equipment, even at a basic level, and he thought he would be fine. He was a ******* fool and died because of it.

Quote:
Tight rope walker Philippe Petit? Stupid?
Suicide? Selfish?
I dont know their situations well enough pass judgment and am certainly not in the right state of mind to do so.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 AM    (permalink
Snorlax1
Rookie

Both your arguments appear to be an argument on "What is the right amount of experience and equipment to 'sanely' survive in the Alaskan wild" a certain "#" to not considered stupid. My bar is lower than yours I suppose.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:05 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Both your arguments appear to be an argument on "What is the right amount of experience and equipment to 'sanely' survive in the Alaskan wild" a certain "#" to not considered stupid. My bar is lower than yours I suppose.
Its not even the equipment, it's that he had no experience in that environment and to survive you need SOME.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:05 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
My bar is lower than yours I suppose.
It seems as such, but I have spent just as much if not more time studying the places I go, as I do spending time there.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to mention that if he had not found the bus...he wouldnt have lasted close to the amount of time he did
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:13 AM    (permalink
Snorlax1
Rookie

Anyway, before I head off to bed. For some reason this argument reminded me of this video, although a little different and felt someone might want to watch it if they had 7 minutes to spare.